Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't backed out of anything, dude. I agree that logic is a science. All sciences follow strong rigors; logic is no exception.
    Sciences are unique because they use observation and experimentation. Science is wider in scope than logic. Logic is the backbone of what allows humans to make sense of what they observe and fiddle around with. Math allows even more power in that it allows science to be predictive. We know where the moon is right now. Observation, analysis of observations, logic, and then the appropriate math models allow us to know.

Its not that difficult. I feel bound by public service to help in this time of crisis.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

Its an opinion of a man wasting his time with a hardhead catfish.

almost forgot...

Bro.
    Well, you can hold to your fourth-grade definition of science if it suits you. But that many academics consider the quite rigorous practice of logic to be a science is not a hidden secret. The fact that you're just hearing of this speaks to your own narrow mindedness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I linked a list of books. This was your response:
    You labeled the list. You told me. You down what the list contained for gosh sakes. Get it?
    And then I remembered a le much like Palov posted.
    Again, not a great mystery or diversionary tactic you think you have come upon.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sciences are unique because they use observation and experimentation. Science is wider in scope than logic. Logic is the backbone of what allows humans to make sense of what they observe and fiddle around with. Math allows even more power in that it allows science to be predictive. We know where the moon is right now. Observation, analysis of observations, logic, and then the appropriate math models allow us to know.
    In essence, you've listed but one definition of science.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/science

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you can hold to your fourth-grade definition of science if it suits you. But that many academics consider the quite rigorous practice of logic to be a science is not a hidden secret. The fact that you're just hearing of this speaks to your own narrow mindedness.
    Post #76

You won't find any scientist that would call this post 4th grade level or a decent basic summary of what science is.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You labeled the list. You told me. You down what the list contained for gosh sakes. Get it?
    And then I remembered a le much like Palov posted.
    Again, not a great mystery or diversionary tactic you think you have come upon.
    I listed a link of books to just give a general idea of how logic is considered science. There's nothing diversionary about that, whatsoever.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Post #76

You won't find any scientist that would call this post 4th grade level or a decent basic summary.
    Pretty much verbatim, that's how grade-school teachers tend to explain science; that it's based upon the scientific model, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I listed a link of books to just give a general idea of how logic is considered science. There's nothing diversionary about that, whatsoever.
    I did not say it was diversionary on your part.

I said you telling me what was in the list and then your apparent failure to recognize a perfectly innocent reply was not diversionary on my part and that you had not uncovered an inconsistency like you thought you had. You told me what was in the list yourself. Then I remembered a le that was inaccurate from a Biological perspective. No big deal. I still have not looked at the link. It really does not matter at this point.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did not say it was diversionary on your part.

I said you telling me what was in the list and then your apparent failure to recognize a perfectly innocent reply was not diversionary on my part and that you had not uncovered an inconsistency like you thought you had. You told me what was in the list yourself. Then I remembered a le that was inaccurate from a Biological perspective. No big deal. I still have not looked at the link. It really does not matter at this point.
    I agree that it doesn't matter at this point; so, you'll excuse me if that is the extent of this post.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pgardn

Would suggest you listen to this. You can disagree if you still wish; but semi-respectfully, this Hegel guy is a uva lot smarter than you:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regardless whether logic is a science or not, most of the people on this forum have no idea how logic applies in a discussion. They ignore premise and just go straight to conclusion then call the conclusion illogical because they disagree with it, but not because the argument fails logically. That happens way too often here, and it just shows that too many folks have ignored philosophy and gotten their education on forums, in tidbits, and misunderstand application.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regardless whether logic is a science or not, most of the people on this forum have no idea how logic applies in a discussion. They ignore premise and just go straight to conclusion then call the conclusion illogical because they disagree with it, but not because the argument fails logically. That happens way too often here, and it just shows that too many folks have ignored philosophy and gotten their education on forums, in tidbits, and misunderstand application.
    Basically my point. Logic is a very strict formal science or process. People would be bored as sh** if they actually had to follow the rigors of logic. It's one thing to use the term logic colloquially or even sparingly broach the subject on some occasions (particularly in cases of quite abhorrent lack of logic); but these nitwits who get their ire up when spouting off about logic are dumb as for even presuming a message board is the place for logic to be rigorously followed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically my point. Logic is a very strict formal science or process. People would be bored as sh** if they actually had to follow the rigors of logic. It's one thing to use the term logic colloquially or even sparingly broach the subject on some occasions (particularly in cases of quite abhorrent lack of logic); but these nitwits who get their ire up when spouting off about logic are dumb as for even presuming a message board is the place for logic to be rigorously followed.
    You'll rarely see a logical argument made here, but you'll see a ton of accusations of logical fallacies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pgardn

Would suggest you listen to this. You can disagree if you still wish; but semi-respectfully, this Hegel guy is a uva lot smarter than you:

Just because I do science does not mean I'm smart.
    Im smart enough to know this.
    But I would say I'm curious.

I dont even know what smart really means. There are people who can memorize a lot of information and retrieve it easily but don't know when they have stumbled upon something I find very interesting. I know that. I imagine others have experienced the same. I know there are people that can imitate another person after a few days or even draw them. I can't. So... on it goes.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just because I do science does not mean I'm smart.
    Im smart enough to know this.
    But I would say I'm curious.

I dont even know what smart really means. There are people who can memorize a lot of information and retrieve it easily but don't know when they have stumbled upon something I find very interesting. I know that. I imagine others have experienced the same. I know there are people that can imitate another person after a few days or even draw them. I can't. So... on it goes.
    Well, that's humble of you. Many scientists feel like they have to be the smartest guy in the room.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, that's humble of you. Many scientists feel like they have to be the smartest guy in the room.
    Ok.

Then ask them to say the alphabet backwards skipping 1 letter, then two, then 3. Memorize it yourself and humble them I guess. I have not had your experience. There is no time for that.
    I must deal with people thru cooperation and understanding different talents. And be able to spot BS. Because being wrong matters. Communicating effectively and personally in what we believe to be true concerning a specific phenomena is absolutely necessary. Free people need to think about this.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I cant believe these two have been going on for three pages on whether or not logic is a "science".

Its just a word.

Ive never heard the phrase "science of logic" or "logic science" used before and I had to build a microprocessor using and/not/or/nand gates. However, almost anything can be considered a "science" if you simply use the word to describe "the study of...X" and a lot of people do.

In my view, a science is something in the natural world we run experiments on and make predictions about.

In Chemistry, we run experiments and make predictions about chemical interactions etc. That definition fits for Physics, Astronomy, Biology...

In that sense of the word, "logic" wouldnt really be a science, but that also would mean "political science", "computer science", "social science", "economic science" etc are really sciences either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's never been my position, JV Chump.
    It's pretty clear that's what you'd like to have happen.

You get so sensitive and defensive when people ask you to back up your claims.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, you have a narrowly defined view of science. That's your prerogative. I've pointed out the concept held by many in academia consider logic to be a science. And I agree as it follows a structure akin to scientific processes.
    Are there colleges that let you earn a BS in Logic?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The irony. It drips.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Drips? Its so rock-hard I can walk on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drips like limestone I guess

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cant believe these two have been going on for three pages on whether or not logic is a "science".

Its just a word.

Ive never heard the phrase "science of logic" or "logic science" used before and I had to build a microprocessor using and/not/or/nand gates. However, almost anything can be considered a "science" if you simply use the word to describe "the study of...X" and a lot of people do.

In my view, a science is something in the natural world we run experiments on and make predictions about.

In Chemistry, we run experiments and make predictions about chemical interactions etc. That definition fits for Physics, Astronomy, Biology...

In that sense of the word, "logic" wouldnt really be a science, but that also would mean "political science", "computer science", "social science", "economic science" etc are really sciences either.

In the others you listed you can make observations, gather polls. Etc... So in that sense they can be examined but it's understood that the conclusions drawn are very tenuous, so I'm fine. We understand they are not well controlled, measurement is very difficult etc... In logic gates the electrical mechanisms that allow "logic" gates to work could be studied. But pure logic is simply a very convenient way of reasoning. It's a much more fundamental than science just like math. Logic is a part of doing good science. This is all I was trying to say.

So yeah.
    3 pages... I've seen worse but yep, too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there colleges that let you earn a BS in Logic?
    That would most likely come under the Umbrella of Philosophy I'm guessing. The logic courses at UT were done thru the Philosophy dept, I would think it was the same at TTU.

Thread Information