Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"But...but...but it is a poorly designed sport", "but...but...but it is boring" ..

is even blowing up on American twitter ..

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Magic of Anfield strikes again

My Team
    AC Milan
    Post Count
    What comeback? I saw that Liverpool won 4-0. I was hoping to see some 5-4 score or something where Liverpool came back from 3 or 4 goals down. Sorry soccer fans, I'm not hating, a comeback just isn't the same via aggregate over two different games. In that format, the team who is down has time to regroup, recuperate, and hash out a gameplan over the ensuing days. They have a full 90 minutes plus any extra/overtime to make a charge, and aren't up against a reduced clock (i.e. Clippers 3rd quarter comeback, Pats 3rd quarter comeback vs. Falcons, etc). FiveThirtyEight had their odds at 7 percent, which really isn't that low. Let's see. Per win expectancy, Golden State had a 99.4 percent chance of winning when they went up by 31. In the infamous 2011 WS series game 6, the Texas Rangers twice blew win expectancies of 96% and 92%, the odds of which (1/24x1/12) are 1 in 288 or .0035 percent.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 05-07-2019 at 10:11 PM.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    What comeback? I saw that Liverpool won 4-0. I was hoping to see some 5-4 score or something where Liverpool came back from 3 or 4 goals down. Sorry soccer fans, I'm not hating, a comeback just isn't the same via aggregate over two different games. In that format, the team who is down has time to regroup, recuperate, and hash out a gameplan over the ensuing days. They have a full 90 minutes plus any extra/overtime to make a charge, and aren't up against a reduced clock (i.e. Clippers 3rd quarter comeback, Pats 3rd quarter comeback vs. Falcons, etc). FiveThirtyEight had their odds at 7 percent, which really isn't that low. Let's see. Per win expectancy, Golden State had a 99.4 percent chance of winning when they went up by 31. In the infamous 2011 WS series game 6, the Texas Rangers twice blew win expectancies of 96% and 92%, the odds of which (1/24x1/12) are 1 in 288 or .0035 percent.
    Doesn't matter. It's still exciting as . Way more exciting than anything baseball has to offer, tbh.

fans falling asleep during playoffs games.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    You wanted an in-game come back? There you have it.

Another in glorious comeback..
    midnightpulp get in your ass here and this ....

Told you defense is no longer the name of the game in today's soccer..especially at this compe ion..
    Last edited by spursistan; 05-08-2019 at 05:14 PM.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    These 2 CL semis were easily more exciting and unpredictable than the entire nba playoffs

Today's nba

My Team
    Colombia
    Post Count
    Brazilians and Africans make it exciting tbqh.

Can u imagine the snooze fest CL would be if it was only euro stiffs?

Those overrated toothless brits would be trash without the immigrants

My Team
    Arsenal FC
    Post Count
    These 2 CL semis were easily more exciting and unpredictable than the entire nba playoffs

Today's nba

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Brazilians and Africans make it exciting tbqh.

Agreed. Black GK

Today's nba
    TBH

My Team
    Colombia
    Post Count
    That GK had 4 or 5 epic saves tbqh. But he also did commit 2 big errors but that's because they were already stoning his house for a while

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    South Americans and Africans make it exciting tbqh.

There are some very good European players from Spain, Germany.
    England has been sorely lacking and THEY KNOW IT.
    They are always questioning themselves and hiring foreign managers at the top levels.

Honestly people dont know how insecure the English are about their level.
    Its amazing. I dont know wtf you guys read. The Sun... all the other crap?

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count

Today's nba
    CL is the best tournament in the world but do you care for hockey at all? Some crazy stuff happens here too

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    There are some very good European players from Spain, Germany.
    England has been sorely lacking and THEY KNOW IT.
    They are always questioning themselves and hiring foreign managers at the top levels.

Honestly people dont know how insecure the English are about their level.
    Its amazing. I dont know wtf you guys read. The Sun... all the other crap?
    They are a multicultural liberal nation. What do you expect. They are programmed at a young age to feel guilty for their enormous empire while simultaneously being told their way of life needs the weaklings they conquered in order to survive

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    They are a multicultural liberal nation. What do you expect. They are programmed at a young age to feel guilty for their enormous empire while simultaneously being told their way of life needs the weaklings they conquered in order to survive
    Oh.

You mean they are taught real history?
    Feel guilty... They were fckn heroes in WWII.
    They know this.

Who is the most powerful multicultural nation on Earth right now?
    And what have they been taught?

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count
    Oh.

You mean they are taught real history?
    Feel guilty... They were fckn heroes in WWII.
    They know this.

Who is the most powerful multicultural nation on Earth right now?
    And what have they been taught?
    Well Ofcourse heroes when they killed other whites but bad evil when they killed ethnics. Don't play naive. We both know the goal of liberalism in the West.

And that is why they are the way they are today.

My Team
    AC Milan
    Post Count
    You wanted an in-game come back? There you have it.
    That wasn't an in game comeback : lol. They had to combone two different games to get their "comeback" since soccer is so poorly designed

My Team
    AC Milan
    Post Count
    Another in glorious comeback..
    midnightpulp get in your ass here and this ....

Told you defense is no longer the name of the game in today's soccer..especially at this compe ion..
    Spin what? Last time you semen exploded about increasing soccer scoring during the World Cup, I showed you that goals per game were around historical EPL averages. You also tried to sell the last big aggregate comeback in 2017 as "epic" and everyone just basically laughed. Oh, I see there was a 2 goal deficit comeback today. Is that what you're talking about now

But at least it was a comeback and in-game, so you have that.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    That wasn't an in game comeback : lol. They had to combone two different games to get their "comeback" since soccer is so poorly designed
    Poorly designed

If anything it's better than the system the NFL has in place for example. One game, one team makes one mistake and season's over.

CL football ensures each team gets one fair shot in their home stadium. Except for the final but that's in a neutral ground.

My Team
    --- Clubs
    Post Count
    Well Ofcourse heroes when they killed other whites but bad evil when they killed ethnics. Don't play naive. We both know the goal of liberalism in the West.

And that is why they are the way they are today.
    Killed other whites...
    The other whites that wanted to rule the world.
    Dont be a fool.

Tell me what white skin does that is so important? Liberalism does what? So Conservatives are against multi ethnic nation states?

My Team
    AC Milan
    Post Count
    Poorly designed

If anything it's better than the system the NFL has in place for example. One game, one team makes one mistake and season's over.

CL football ensures each team gets one fair shot in their home stadium. Except for the final but that's in a neutral ground.
    I've also read that the away goals rule encourages offensive play, since otherwise, teams would just bus park more.

Part of the reason the rule exists is to encourage attacking play, though, because without it, an away team has no incentive to attack at all.
    With the rule, a home team puts a lot at risk by attacking, but that at least has to be balanced with the fact that the home leg of a fixture is a chance to put the tie to bed-- without the rule, the away team has no incentive to play anything but a negative game.
    People are going to exploit the rules no matter what they are. Changing the rules wouldn't fix that, and would arguably make the first legs of ties even more one-sided.
    When you have to use gimmicks like this outside of the rules of the core sport to "encourage attacking," I feel the sport itself is "poorly designed." We also see how low soccer's comeback factor really is. Win probability plummets to 13.4 percent if you concede a goal at, say, 35 minutes. http://stats.inpredictable.com/socce...mintm=35&scr=1

Why not just play a 3rd game on neutral ground if the series is tied 1-1? It's probably a logistics issue, but I think the biggest sport in the world can make it work.

My Team
    AC Milan
    Post Count
    I agree with this point, at least. Basketball is too high scoring. The 80-78 games played in the "boring" grit-and-grind era was better to watch, more attritional, scores mattering more, and every 3 pointer feeling like a backbreaker. For life shortening tension, though, baseball>all sports. The killshot can come in ANY inning since play isn't reset/ball doesn't change hands after a score and there's no clock. Every pitch matters.

Thread Information