Post Count
    hes basically Mr Charles Montgomery Burns in real life
    lol

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oversimplified how?

It's a straight fact that Bloomberg was a lifelong Republican until 2019 and that he helped keep the Senate red three years ago.
    And Trump was a lifelong Democrat before a black man was elected POTUS. It's not surprising now that the GOP has moved further to the extreme right that some former Republicans have either become, or begun supporting, Democrats.

The narrative is oversimplified because Bloomberg spent far more money supporting Democrat candidates (and causes like Planned Parenthood) in 2016. The idea that all of that spending was just a cover for his real objective to keep the Senate red in 2016 is just silly.

I said that a Trump/Bloomberg succession would prove it's broken, not that it isn't already, but yeah, I agree.
    I don't like that any billionaire can sway public opinion with corporation-level advertising budgets, but that's the state of our elections at the moment and I don't really understand what's fundamentally different about the Kochs, Adelsons, Soroses, NRA, and Waltons funding their preferred candidates vs. someone funding himself. The latter seems preferable to me, even if both options suck.

And you still have to win voters. It's a little patronizing to suggest that people are such lemmings swayed by advertising that appealing to them though advertising is "buying an election." The real crisis of Bloomberg's rise is that he hasn't had to participate in debates and answer any tough questions yet from the public.
    Last edited by Spurminator; 02-14-2020 at 11:19 AM.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And Trump was a lifelong Democrat before a black man was elected POTUS. It's not surprising now that the GOP has moved further to the extreme right that some former Republicans have either become or begun supporting Democrats.

The narrative is oversimplified because Bloomberg spent far more money supporting Democrat candidates in 2016. The idea that all of that spending was just a cover for his real objective to keep the Senate red is just silly.

I don't like that any billionaire can sway public opinion with corporation-level advertising budgets, [[[[[[[[[but]]]]]]]]] that's the state of our elections at the moment and I don't really understand what's fundamentally different about the Kochs, Adelsons, Soroses, NRA, and Waltons funding their preferred candidates vs. someone funding himself. The latter seems preferable to me, even if both options suck.
    tee, hee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Trump was a lifelong Democrat before a black man was elected POTUS. It's not surprising now that the GOP has moved further to the extreme right that some former Republicans have either become, or begun supporting, Democrats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The narrative is oversimplified because Bloomberg spent far more money supporting Democrat candidates (and causes like Planned Parenthood) in 2016. The idea that all of that spending was just a cover for his real objective to keep the Senate red in 2016 is just silly.
    I don't think I implied that, but that's a good point. Realignment is messy.

don't like that any billionaire can sway public opinion with corporation-level advertising budgets, but that's the state of our elections at the moment and I don't really understand what's fundamentally different about the Kochs, Adelsons, Soroses, NRA, and Waltons funding their preferred candidates vs. someone funding himself. The latter seems preferable to me, even if both options suck.

And you still have to win voters. It's a little patronizing to suggest that people are such lemmings swayed by advertising that appealing to them though advertising is "buying an election." The real crisis of Bloomberg's rise is that he hasn't had to participate in debates and answer any tough questions yet from the public.
    That's a problem for sure, but I think that the real crisis is that the Democratic party may prefer the kinder gentler fascism that Bloomberg represents to the left wing of their own party.

That said, I'll vote for any sentient adult against DJT.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is at best a non-sequiter, at worst a chart that proves my point by showing Republican values shifting to the left even while the party trends rightward. The only issue that Republican leadership moved left on since 1994 is gay marriage.

But I welcome an argument that Donald Trump is more liberal than Ronald Reagan and GHWB, or Mitch McConnell more liberal than Newt Gingrich, if you want to try to make it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is basically Bloombergs campaign

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    (Drudge) is reporting that Bloomberg ran the numbers & is going to tap Hillary as his running mate.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    (Drudge) is reporting that Bloomberg ran the numbers & is going to tap Hillary as his running mate.
    I don’t see it unless there’s a backroom agreement for Hillary to either take over at some point or to be a Cheney style VP. Not a chance she’d even want a true VP role if it was offered to her.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn’t cast a vote for president if my choices are trump/pence and Bloomberg/clinton

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drudge isn't reporting it. He's linking a report from the Daily Mail.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mike Bloomberg for years has battled women’s allegations of profane, sexist comments

from legal complaint:

". On April 11, 1995 at approximately 11:20 a.m., Bloomberg was having a photograph taken with two female Company salespeople and a group of N.Y.U. Business School students, in the company snack area.

When Bloomberg noticed Garrison standing nearby, he asked, “Why didn’t they ask you to be in the picture? I guess they saw your face.”
    Continuing his penchant for ridiculing recently married women in his employ, Bloomberg asked plaintiff, “How’s married life? You married?”

Plaintiff responded that her marriage was great and was going to get better in a few months: that she was pregnant, and the baby was due the following September.

He responded to her “Kill it!”

Now, as Bloomberg is increasingly viewed as a viable Democratic candidate for president and the #MeToo era has raised the profile of workplace harassment,

he is finding that his efforts to prevent disclosure are clashing against demands

that he release former employees and complainants from their nondisclosure agreements.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...wpisrc=nl_most

Last edited by boutons_deux; 02-15-2020 at 01:36 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Drudge isn't reporting it. He's linking a report from the Daily Mail.
    So I was a bit with the melo & the dramatic,,,don't nitpick, Dumps.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I wouldn’t cast a vote for president if my choices are trump/pence and Bloomberg/clinton
    Thank God, I feel a bit better now. I about lost my second cup of coffee at first blanch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    De Blasio endorsed Bernie. He hates Bloomberg tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I don’t see it unless there’s a backroom agreement for Hillary to either take over at some point or to be a Cheney style VP. Not a chance she’d even want a true VP role if it was offered to her.
    That's probably precisely the plan, Will. He'll take the first couple years, then give it over to her for the next 6.

I didn't read the article, I just ran like the ens back over here to be first at lodging it.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It’ll never happen but during the next debate one of the other candidates should put Bloomberg on the spot and ask him to promise he’s not picking Clinton as his VP and then eviscerate him if he doesn’t.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Has there ever been a time in modern American history where the candidate who lost 4 years earlier gets picked as the veep by the next candidate? I can’t think of one in recent memory where it was ever remotely considered, and that’s for good reason. No one up until now has been re ed enough to even contemplate it.

The establishment/moderate Dems have lost their ing minds in terms of having a winning strategy.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Has there ever been a time in modern American history where the candidate who lost 4 years earlier gets picked as the veep by the next candidate? I can’t think of one in recent memory where it was ever remotely considered, and that’s for good reason. No one up until now has been re ed enough to even contemplate it.

The establishment/moderate Dems have lost their ing minds in terms of having a winning strategy.
    Makes sense to me, Will. She came within 70k votes up in the belt of winning last time after she'd quit a fortnight before Election Day. He's got the cash, she's got the organization loaded in the catapult launcher.

He just wants the old man out & he wants to provide the foot in the that generous ass + wants to match him as President, but, he'd be fine with passing the baton almost immediately.

+ we'd get to see Weiner's wife (what's her name?) with that blood red lipstick again. She had me snortin' like a wild man.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    CNN still ain't joined in on it. They hate when they ain't the bearer of such a juicy story. Get their back up, their stubborn on.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Makes sense to me, Will. She came within 70k votes up in the belt of winning last time after she'd quit a fortnight before Election Day. He's got the cash, she's got the organization loaded in the catapult launcher.

He just wants the old man out & he wants to provide the foot in the that generous ass + wants to match him as President, but, he'd be fine with passing the baton almost immediately.

+ we'd get to see Weiner's wife (what's her name?) with that blood red lipstick again. She had me snortin' like a wild man.
    The demographic makeup of this country is such that any Dem candidate could have “made it close” against Trump. The Democrats don’t need either of the country’s two biggest swing states (Ohio and Florida) to win anymore - four states that were solid red in 2004 (New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada and Virginia) are now either lean blue or solid blue states. You’re giving her too much credit for “almost” winning an election that was hers to lose.

Theres no group of voters she wins with that Bloomberg doesn’t already win with. We saw how well it went for her when she nominated a redundant bland centrist as her VP rather than someone who could turn out the base.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    + During Stop-and-Frisk’s peak in 2011,

nearly 90 percent of those stopped were black and Latino, and

nearly 90 percent were innocent, according to date from the ACLU of New York.

+ Stop and Frisk stats over the course of Mike Bloomberg’s 12 years as NYC mayor:

2002: 97,296
    2003: 160,851
    2004: 313,523

2005: 352,348
    2006: 506,491
    2007: 472,096
    2008: 540,302
    2009: 581,168
    2010: 601,285
    2011: 685,724
    2012: 532,911
    2013: 191,851

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/02/14/roaming-charges-leader-of-the-pack/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gabbard would have made sense at some point but i think she’s torpedoed herself pretty hard

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would.

Thread Information