My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Next to Julian Champagnie who is listed as 6’8”

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo was a good selection. Will probably be at least 6'7" after he's done growing and has a nice wingspan and big hands - sounds familiar (Kawhi). And he already has really good form on his jump shot and more athletic ability than given credit for. The Spurs may not be able to afford/want Lonnie after his contract expires after this season and this could be his replacement. TJ will replace Patty and Luka will get some of Rudy minutes. Also remember, there's a good chance Dieng stays with the team to help out in the bigs department. Jakob, Luka, Dieng and Eubanks and sprinkle in Keldon and KBD at the PF slot and the bigs are covered for this upcoming season and sure they are going to sign a 4/5 in the upcoming free agency. Primo could possibly be one of the Spurs top 3 players by year 3 at only 21 years old. With his deamenor and build, it's possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That DJ tweet was very clearly not an endorsement of Primo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You say you want to have basketball discussions, but you always resort to condescending remarks. It’s not very consistent of you.

somehow saying something is speculation is being a cheerleader for the team. Nice.
    No one gets into more angry emotional multi page arguments with multiple posters than you, so there's that. You want objectivity until it's cheerleading time, and then you act like nobody's cheering loud enough for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i caught the tail end of an interview with coach oats of 'bama and he was giving some background on primo;

1) this should be his freshman year in college as he graduated a year early from high school.
    2) MRIs and X-rays show that Primo's bone (epiphyseal) plates are still open meaning that he is still growing.
    3) they coached him up a lot at the point to start the season but then they backed off to let him do what he does best and let him process the information. then, towards the end of the season, they started playing him at the point again and it started to come together (he specifically mentioned the auburn game). the meniscus tear set him back a bit again but then he started to elevate his game again.
    4) his performance at some workouts in LA were great as they had him run the offense and he showed vast improvement in his pick and roll reads.
    5) he will likely become a wing who can do it all and could be 6'7" or 6'8".

that was most of what i caught for what it's worth.
    Interesting
    Is there a link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one gets into more angry emotional multi page arguments with multiple posters than you, so there's that. You want objectivity until it's cheerleading time, and then you act like nobody's cheering loud enough for you.
    Am I asking anybody to cheer? I’m calling out inconsistencies and misinformation. Also very convenient of you to now read between the lines when it suits you when all summer long you were complaining about other people for speculating. It’s almost as bad as when you use statistics like a grandpa who’s trying to learn how to use a cell phone. Hilarious that you say that’s your “thing”.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting
    Is there a link?
    not sure. it was on live at about 1:15 on 1250 AM, which is the Halftime show w/Rob Thompson and Karl Schoening. it may be found on their audio vault: https://www.sasportsstar.com/audio-vault/

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Probably Justin who is closer to 6’6”. Julian withdrew.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Justin is tagged on the picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be curious to hear that interview with the Alabama coach. It would obviously be a real game changer Primo he grew to 6'7" and especially 6'8" over the next few years. How well can additional growth be predicted just by looking at bone plates? I'm skeptical that this could be something that the front office would really be banking on and factoring into their decision in a significant way

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably Justin who is closer to 6’6”. Julian withdrew.
    good catch and thanks for the correction

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also weirded me out that people are saying his compe ion is Tre. I’m like, no man, his compe ion is Lonnie and maybe Vassell. Primo has a big frame and will only get bigger. His body somewhat looks like Jrue Holiday out there (who was defending Booker in the playoffs) but with potential to be a little bigger.
    His compe ion is Tre because the open spot on the roster is for the backup PG/shooter spot that Mills has occupied for like eight years. If the Spurs somehow run with the guys on the team now. this would be a projected depth chart

Murray, Jones
    White, Walker
    Vassell, Wieskamp
    Johnson, Samanic
    Poeltl, Eubanks

Weatherspoon and KBD are both RFAs and thus could be back. In the very least, I'd want KBD back to add depth at the three and four. Regardless, the backup PG spot is the one with the least compe ion. There are no first-rounders, vets or better-sized players at that spot. It's not that Jones can't hold onto the spot (I actually expect him to be one of the better SL players in the league this year). But if we're talking about replacing Mills, then nothing is keeping Primo from getting minutes but excuses. It's abnormal for lotto picks to be frozen out by second-rounders and min-salary guys. Primo doesn't have to start off better than those guys, but he'll likely not embarrass himself against them either. And if he can take those shooter minutes while he grows into more, that makes the most sense. Well, it'd make the most sense to trade Murray and start White, Vassell, Johnson and a real PF, sign an expensive backup PG and a solid backup center, and then let Primo, Walker, Wieskamp, KBD and Samanic fight to sort out the middle of the bench. But you take what you can get when it comes to PATFO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be curious to hear that interview with the Alabama coach. It would obviously be a real game changer Primo he grew to 6'7" and especially 6'8" over the next few years. How well can additional growth be predicted just by looking at bone plates? I'm skeptical that this could be something that the front office would really be banking on and factoring into their decision in a significant way
    pretty crazy Brian even brought that up (the bone plates thing). Thought it was just discussion from fans.

Ridding the world of Alien Scum...Relentlessly. Man In Black's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A few thoughts
    While I'm disappointed in the pick I think I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt given past track record.
    That said, I almost think they are trying to be too clever. It's served them well late in the draft, but in this range?
    The other thing to keep in mind is the exploding number of mock drafts and discussions creates unreasonable hype on draft picks. The majority don't pan out. It's really fun to look back at Draft Grades from past drafts and see how many where just wrong. The range the Spurs are in have as many strike outs as home runs
    Precisely.
    That's a logical take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You liked what you saw out of Walker this year?
    more than the year before. his finishing is still a work in progress but his decision making was undoubtedly better. he seems to be a more confident 3-pt shooter now and his defense was *at times* very good.

he has a higher ceiling. hopefully he can get there.

pop seems to be setting him up for a 6th man role and late game closer. similar to the role he tailored for Manu.

Note: he's no Manu. but he's getting better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pretty crazy Brian even brought that up (the bone plates thing). Thought it was just discussion from fans.
    He's gonna get that D-Rob growth spurt and be the Spurs PF of the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more than the year before. his finishing is still a work in progress but his decision making was undoubtedly better. he seems to be a more confident 3-pt shooter now and his defense was *at times* very good.

he has a higher ceiling. hopefully he can get there.

pop seems to be setting him up for a 6th man role and late game closer. similar to the role he tailored for Manu.

Note: he's no Manu. but he's getting better.
    My man, Pop hasn't set Walker up for let alone a Manu type role

I too believe in Walker's talent. But he's mentally weak and I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that he won't really be able to realize his potential until he gets away from the old man/team.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did they check his DNA, maybe his blood is AIDS resistant. Latex allergies? These things matter.

Next year we’ll hear “good bone structure and we like his platelets, Spurs material”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man - I come back after a long time away from here and I hope to read some logical takes as to why the Spurs take a guy like Primo at #12 when he was mocked to go no higher than say 20 or so. I am dumbfounded that all I see is whining here.

BAMA has taken over the world.

Doesn't anybody even fact-check anymore?

Is there any reason that PATFO would make a selection at #12 that maximizes value? Any reason at all that you can think of?
    There's got to be at least 1 logical reason. Just 1.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/94c1...temid=14454957

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's gonna get that D-Rob growth spurt and be the Spurs PF of the future.
    i'm all for a little divine intervention.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His compe ion is Tre because the open spot on the roster is for the backup PG/shooter spot that Mills has occupied for like eight years. If the Spurs somehow run with the guys on the team now. this would be a projected depth chart

Murray, Jones
    White, Walker
    Vassell, Wieskamp
    Johnson, Samanic
    Poeltl, Eubanks

Weatherspoon and KBD are both RFAs and thus could be back. In the very least, I'd want KBD back to add depth at the three and four. Regardless, the backup PG spot is the one with the least compe ion. There are no first-rounders, vets or better-sized players at that spot. It's not that Jones can't hold onto the spot (I actually expect him to be one of the better SL players in the league this year). But if we're talking about replacing Mills, then nothing is keeping Primo from getting minutes but excuses. It's abnormal for lotto picks to be frozen out by second-rounders and min-salary guys. Primo doesn't have to start off better than those guys, but he'll likely not embarrass himself against them either. And if he can take those shooter minutes while he grows into more, that makes the most sense. Well, it'd make the most sense to trade Murray and start White, Vassell, Johnson and a real PF, sign an expensive backup PG and a solid backup center, and then let Primo, Walker, Wieskamp, KBD and Samanic fight to sort out the middle of the bench. But you take what you can get when it comes to PATFO.
    You missed the DaQuan Jeffries from your roster choices. He was signed late last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You missed the DaQuan Jeffries from your roster choices. He was signed late last season.
    True. I was using the Capulator to check, and that doesn't have many of last year's transactions. I don't know that I expect him to be on the team in a week, but if so, he'll be competing with Wieskamp, I'd assume.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing Murray posted was him smiling in a photo and smiley emojis

somehow SpursTalk is equating that as “disapproval”

that’s a huge leap and it’s misinformation that’s spreading like wildfire because you literally have pages and pages of people talking about it like it’s truth.
    those aren't smiling emojis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 reasons to believe in GM Brian Wright (who is totally in control of running the ship).

1. This has to light a fire under Lonnie’s ass. The dude seems anemic for too long of stretches. It’s not even an icy hot thing either it’s more an effort thing. Some games he looks like the second coming of MJ and the majority he looks lost and doesn’t give a . I don’t know if we offer Lonnie another contract but if he continues his show of effort this coming year then we have a replacement down the line

2. You can never have enough shooting. Yeah we have another combo guard or whatever but he is a shooter. That’s his bread and butter. His form looks good, his leg/body placement seems ready at all times, and he doesn’t look like he will lack confidence in himself when it comes to launching 3s. Say what you want but we don’t have that many shooters. It would be nice to have a bench that are all threats from the 3 and can all switch and can defend (I know he’s not there yet defensively but that will be taught I hope).

3. He fits a role perfectly. As shown in Alabama, he has no problem waiting in the corner for the open look. It’s how he was used. This means he won’t complain about lack of touches and it also means that we can take our sweet ass time developing him right? Well the answer to that is kinda. Bc he already does the one thing that takes a lot of our players years to develop. Unlike DJ or KJ, we don’t have to teach him to shoot! That’s a big deal. Now we can just focus on getting him to learn the game. That’s harder for sure but he’s young enough to where his bad habits can be gotten rid of defensively and where he can absorb an offense. It’s the opposite of why I was opposed to making DJ a PG. They were chasing too many rabbits with DJ: shooting, defense, running an offense, high pick n roll, etc and that’s gonna take years and years to learn. But you can focus on 2 & 3 with him in a more natural game situation in Austin. It’s why White worked out better. He could just focus on playing the game. Primo just needs to focus on playing the game.

This pick gives me hope that we know what we are actually doing. He doesn’t align with our kids timeline but when we tank next year and get that high draft pick, those 2 guys are going to grow together. You keep the high character youth we have now that can teach them the game and the Spurs way and you do it right in a rubuild. It’s like what NO tried to do with Zion except they don’t have the locker room or culture. We do.
    I read through the entire thing waiting for that "gotcha!" moment when you were gonna trash the pick I'm disappointed, in a good way

Good evaluation on this kid. Stuff surrounding the draft pick still seems iffy at best, but it's true that he's a blank slate prospect who already has a transferrable skill. Lord knows I'll welcome the pick with open arms if it means Dejounte might not be so set-in-stone as the franchises' PG of the next 10 years... And the angle of Spurs going for a "second young core" is really interesting. We'd all assumed our current crop of young players was "the core", but maybe PATFO, in their usual CIA ways (), are looking even farther ahead, already having recognized that the championship level players aren't in the team right now.

As I said yesterday, this FA/off-season should give us much better answers in terms of how the Spurs plan to roll the next couple seasons. I'm slightly optimistic, once again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, I know Brian Wright said the words "point guard" about Primo but the guy is not a point guard. He didn't play point guard at Alabama and won't play point guard in the NBA. The guy averaged 1.3 assists per 36 minutes -- the lowest of any guard prospect in the draft. That's also lower than any player on the Spurs team last season. You have to go back to Jeff Ayres to find a Spurs player who averaged that few assists per 36 minutes. Unless Jeff Errors was a point guard in disguise, Murray doesn't have anything to worry about
    yeah but they also said he was misused at Alabama and that his skillset wasn't exhibited. thus it’s entirely likely they choose to use him as a pick and roll pick and pop point guard.

Thread Information