Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's exactly it, and it ing sucks. We've been hearing it and seeing it all playoffs long, almost each series.

Dame has no help. Embiid has no help. Jokic has no help (well Murray was out with injury, but still). And so on. And right over here in SanAn, we've got all the help you could need, and further assets to get you some extra help if what we have isn't enough.... But no. We just have to be such an unattractive FA market, that most stars, nevermind superstars, would laugh at the idea of willingly forcing a trade to the Spurs rather than entertain the thought. Oh, but not before saying what a classy org we have, how much they respect Pop, and all that .

I know I should be used to it by now, but it's still annoying, and I don't feel a lot of pity for those stars crying for help, only to try to force their way to the top 3 good climate destinations any chance they get.
    Dame has McCullough and a talented 7 footer. Embid has Simmons and Tobias Harris. Jokic had Aaron Gordon for the playoff run and will have Murray when he returns. The Spurs have NOTHING but role players. I'm including DeRozan in that equation because the dude doesn't shoot 3's or play defense. We have a bunch of young players who don't know how to win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dame has McCullough and a talented 7 footer. Embid has Simmons and Tobias Harris. Jokic had Aaron Gordon for the playoff run and will have Murray when he returns. The Spurs have NOTHING but role players. I'm including DeRozan in that equation because the dude doesn't shoot 3's or play defense. We have a bunch of young players who don't know how to win.
    Aha, and why are the Spurs lacking those star caliber players in the first place? Yeah, they suck as a market for FAs. How many McCollum or Harris-level players did the Lakers have before LeBron signed with them? Do tell...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aha, and why are the Spurs lacking those star caliber players in the first place? Yeah, they suck as a market for FAs. How many McCollum or Harris-level players did the Lakers have before LeBron signed with them? Do tell...
    I don't think it has anything to do with super stars not wanting to live in San Antonio, its hot climate or this being a small-market. Nothing is small in this global economy. Kawhi wanted to go back to LA. I think players prioritize money first and winning second. If the Spurs have the salary space, they'll attract quality FA's. Morris was ready to come here until he got a better offer from NY. Aldridge came here over LA. The Spurs were one year removed from winning a Championship & Aldridge preferred the Spurs message and commitment to winning Championships.

The worst part of the Spurs situation now is that they don't have the same caliber of players who could compete for rings. That could make a big difference to a superstar who wants to win.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whelp no Bud for us…
    Still in play tbh. He’s been kinda crappy this post season in all honesty. But for a young team like Spurs (not win now group like Bucks), he’d be good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    76ers are gonna drop Simmons for nothing. I would take a good look into this. DJ for Simmons? Plus whatever filler we need salary wise.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    76ers are gonna drop Simmons for nothing. I would take a good look into this. DJ for Simmons? Plus whatever filler we need salary wise.
    Simmons has a horrible contract. We're not giving them Dejounte, or anything else of value up for Simmons.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm cool with bringing in Simmons, but why on ing earth would SA ever give them DJ--a legitimate asset--for him? He's owed $147 mil over the next four seasons and just came off the most humiliating series possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm cool with bringing in Simmons, but why on ing earth would SA ever give them DJ--a legitimate asset--for him? He's owed $147 mil over the next four seasons and just came off the most humiliating series possible.
    It’s more for fit I believe. I’m probably the only one
    But it makes everyone play their position. White the PG at all times. Lonnie solely as SG and not guarding Jayson Tatum or Lebron. KJ as SF and he isn’t an undersized PF on defense giving up significant size and weight. Ben at PF on defense and really a secondary playmaker on offense that can learn how to rim run and push the transition. And Gieng at the 5 or whoever we can get to space the floor. Add Mark for shooting off the bench, Vassell and Poeltl with Luka

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing poeltl and Simmons together would be for spacing. Then White and Johnson so so 3 point shooting would be a further disaster. Even if Curry and Klay was our backcourt, the spacing would be iffy. At least Draymond Green took and made 3s every game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just for the record, I am not oppose of getting Simmons, even on that contract. I am not sure if Sixers would want Murray, but more likely want White and DDR instead. I also think Simmons is likely Portland bound.

In saying that, if Spurs are an option, then more drastic changes would be required. Like they would need to go for Duncan Robinson pretty damn hard as he is the best shooter available. And Luka and Johnson would hopefully be better shooters. Also I'll try and tie up a PF stick that could shoot at the expense of Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s more for fit I believe. I’m probably the only one
    But it makes everyone play their position. White the PG at all times. Lonnie solely as SG and not guarding Jayson Tatum or Lebron. KJ as SF and he isn’t an undersized PF on defense giving up significant size and weight. Ben at PF on defense and really a secondary playmaker on offense that can learn how to rim run and push the transition. And Gieng at the 5 or whoever we can get to space the floor. Add Mark for shooting off the bench, Vassell and Poeltl with Luka
    You know why they put Lonnie on those players, don’t you? He’s one of the worst help defenders in the NBA, so you put him on someone you NEVER help off of. . He’s just flat awful on rotations.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the mavs will probably get a good gm and a solid coach. Doncic is already a superstar. What the do the spurs have?? bunch of role players and a coach that is without Tim.

you do know the owner ignores the GM and still does what he feels like personal wise and the coach, they had a great coach, you’re not getting one better than Carlisle that’s available.

also off with this isn’t without tim bull .

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isnt that exactly what happend when fo/pop/medical staff etc pissed off kawhi. Whats with the hipocracy here? All spurs have to show for it is demar ing derozan,yikes
    ah we’re still believing that lie are we

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    166-102 w Duncan and Prime Kawhi. Zero missed playoffs.
    4-12 without. 2 missed playoffs b2b.

Like another cup?

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you do know the owner ignores the GM and still does what he feels like personal wise and the coach, they had a great coach, you’re not getting one better than Carlisle that’s available.

Cuban is a re if he really trusts that gambler more than the FO, so if he continues to do so, he will lose Doncic for sure, as he wont wanna play for a team with a bunch of d leaguers. Carlisle has not really been a good coach. Perhaps 10 years ago, now not so much. Anyone that tells your 7'3 guy to not play in the post is not that smart of a coach.

and spurs have been without tim and so has been pop. Show me it aint so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One way to make centers more relevant again would be to adopt the Euroleague cylinder rule, where once the ball touches the rim it's live. I would be in favor of this rule, as the ref miss so many cylinder calls anyway.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    166-102 w Duncan and Prime Kawhi. Zero missed playoffs.
    4-12 without. 2 missed playoffs b2b.

Like another cup?
    Cut Eric some slack, he was the original Spurstalk Popsucker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One way to make centers more relevant again would be to adopt the Euroleague cylinder rule, where once the ball touches the rim it's live. I would be in favor of this rule, as the ref miss so many cylinder calls anyway.
    With the athletic freaks that roam the NBA, there's no way that'd fly because they'd bat damn near everything on the rim, off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Embid has Simmons
    and your point is?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the athletic freaks that roam the NBA, there's no way that'd fly because they'd bat damn near everything on the rim, off.
    Right, making play near the rim by bigs more important... the only thing it changes is shots that aren't swishes. Why wouldn't you want that?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, making play near the rim by bigs more important... the only thing it changes is shots that aren't swishes. Why wouldn't you want that?
    I just think it'd look gimmicky and circus like. Also, I know you didn't suggest it, but let's face it, the league would never do anything with the intention of benefitting bigs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no contender would want simmons, but bad/mediocre teams would want him because he's still a very good player and provides a floor. i'd love him here for a new look spurs, assuming derozan would be gone and murray would be part of the trade. or a derozan S&T that also includes murray as part of the package

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons has a horrible contract. We're not giving them Dejounte, or anything else of value up for Simmons.
    i love dejounte, but this is insane

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $33 million a year for a worse playoff choker than DDR. No thanks.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs trade Dejounte on a 4/63 for Ben Simmons on a 5/177 this franchise really is ed beyond repair.

Thread Information