Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs and Manu Ginobili continue playing at the level they have been for the rest of the year, will Ginobili have a solid chance of winning an MVP award?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...week5-20101126

Discuss.

Respect all, Fear none. Refocus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No chance. He's not hyped like the rest.

It'd be cool if he could be an all-star again though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No chance. He's not hyped like the rest.

It'd be cool if he could be an all-star again though.
    Yes, I agree. They should at least give him an All-Star spot behind Kobe. It's the least the coaches and the league can do. It's unbelievable when a guy has won 2 Olympic medals, led the all players in the Olympics in basketball scoring, 3 championships, Euro-league champ and mvp and one 6th man of year award but only have one All-Star appearance. I don't get it.

Soak In Your Own Blood BanditHiro's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we would have to have the best record in the league and maybe not even that is enough. we probably have to win 70 games for him to be in the discussion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No spurs player will be an MVP until we get a player like kobe paul lebron etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he can get to the ASG,i think that is dueable

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. </thread>

This has been discussed in the 5 other threads already.

There are other players on other teams that are clearly ahead of Ginobili in the discussion right now. Gasol/Kobe. Rose. Dwight. DWill. Too many superstars in this league.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    With the way he's playing he'll have an all-star selection for sure but I think MVP is out of the question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best player on the best team, record-wise. He has my vote so far.

Manu for MVP!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and not to mention Tony Parker was playing spectacularly for the first 13 games of the season. He and Ginobili arguably shared "co-MVP" of the Spurs team during that stretch.

2 less than par games doesn't take Tony out of the discussion when considering the Spurs alone, either.

And, neither Parker nor Ginobili have a realistic shot at the entire thing, in my opinion.

Let's not forget about Tony though. He's been critical to the Spurs success just as much as Ginobili thus far.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    No. </thread>

This has been discussed in the 5 other threads already.

There are other players on other teams that are clearly ahead of Ginobili in the discussion right now. Gasol/Kobe. Rose. Dwight. DWill. Too many superstars in this league.
    Scratch Kobe and Rose. Kobe hasn't been consistent all year. With Rose it'll depend on the Bulls' record (they need at least 55+ wins) and if they can hold on until Boozer gets back. 9-6 is good considering they've had the kitchen sink thrown at them early but not good enough for MVP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends on how you look at it. He's not the BEST player in the NBA (even though he's up there,) but he might be the most valuable to his team. We'd have a hard time winning games without him, regardless of how good our team is. He makes everybody better. Hustles, plays great D, has intangibles nobody else in the NBA has, and is playing like he's just hitting his prime at 33. Confidence is his key, never hesitant. He could miss 5 threes and still go out and be ice cold with a game winner when it matters.

I don't see how he's not an all star though, the two best two guards in the NBA right now are Kobe Bryant and Manu Ginobili. There's not even a close third.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MVP? Manu's too old, broken down, and bald.

-- Sincerely, SpursTalk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the award ever went to a Most valuable player then I think he would have a strong chance however the MVP usually goes to the popular player not the most valuable in which the award was supposed to be intended for.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scratch Kobe and Rose. Kobe hasn't been consistent all year. With Rose it'll depend on the Bulls' record (they need at least 55+ wins) and if they can hold on until Boozer gets back. 9-6 is good considering they've had the kitchen sink thrown at them early but not good enough for MVP.
    9-6 without Boozer is a frightening thought, though. Bulls are playing top 5 ball in the league so far. That record is deceptive.

If Bulls nab a 4-7 playoff spot in the East as I suspect they will, Rose will be in the discussion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has no chance. Because of these three things working against him in conjunction...

1) He's not a big enough name

2) He's not head and shoulders the best player on his own team

3) He plays with an all-time great

3 could be overcome if not for 1 and 2.

Gasol has slightly higher than no chance, for largely the same reasons.

It's (as I predicted before the season started) Howard's to lose. Paul will be in the discussion, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    got the mvp numbers tonight, thats for sure
    23pts
    7rbs
    8ast
    2stl
    1blk
    8-17fg
    3-8 threes
    4-4 at the line
    1fouls
    and 0 turnovers! amazing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the award ever went to a Most valuable player then I think he would have a strong chance however the MVP usually goes to the popular player not the most valuable in which the award was supposed to be intended for.
    This.
    Best player in the best team of the league.Right now he's the MVP.

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop MVP?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.
    Best player in the best team of the league.Right now he's the MVP.
    Only we're not actually hands down the "best team in the league" at the moment. L.A. and Boston are clearly in the discussion with no one team definitively in first.

Then you have teams like Jazz, Orlando, Hornets, Mavericks, Bulls, OKC chomping at the bit.

Everyone else is irrelevant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont think there is co mvp for the spurs so far this season i think it goes to manu. how many CLUTCH shots or pass or steals has manu had this year? hes had so many ice cold shots to close out games this season. sure TP has been playing good, but the intangibles that ginobili brings to the court doesnt even compare to manu right now. the dudes 33..38 basketball years and looks like hes 26 right now.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are doing this by committee. There's not anyone putting up gaudy numbers for the Spurs. Manu's on pace to go over 30 points four or five more times this season.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a ginobili fan boy, obviously this would be incredible. Not sure if the situation is realistic thoug. At some point Pop is going to want to limit Ginobili, Parker (despite the last 2 games) is right there with ginobili as our best player so far this year. Somewhere down the line, maybe January or Feb, Duncan is probably gonna start to rev. up. While Duncan won't have the averages at that point, his increased scoring load will likely cut into Manus. Too many factors for Manu to be MVP - but it would really be special if he did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only we're not actually hands down the "best team in the league" at the moment. L.A. and Boston are clearly in the discussion with no one team definitively in first.

Then you have teams like Jazz, Orlando, Hornets, Mavericks, Bulls, OKC chomping at the bit.

Everyone else is irrelevant.
    The best team of the league hands down is who win the championship.True.

But MVP is for regular season and the best team of the regular season is the team with the best record.

Thread Information