Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If anyone can give me some tips on making the smart decision with regard to purchasing a new laptop in San Antonio, I'd appreciate it. Actually, location probably doesn't matter since I may end up buying it at dell.com or directly from some manufacturer/online retailer. But would any of you suggest looking at a particular store like Circuit City? Any specialty stores that offer good rates, warranties etc.?

In brief, I'm looking to buy a new laptop which will be used primarly for business purposes, i.e. nothing too "heavy", also for net surfing, playing live video feeds, burning DVD's and so on.

Obviously I don't want to break the bank buying something unnecessary, but on the other hand, I know I'll have to spend to get quality.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I could give you MAC suggestions, but it sounds like you're wanting PC. My serious suggestion... call this guy - Phil Pennington 210-336-8540. He is a good friend of mine and he owns a computer/internet business. I would definitely order online and he can give you suggestions of the best sites and give you some good info on the best laptop for your needs.

The Wright Stuff
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spurschick sure does give out alot of phone numbers.

First there was the plumber...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spurschick, thank you so much for the contact. Also, could you please send me a message with your name so that I may use it as a reference if I call? Thanks again!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spurschick sure does give out alot of phone numbers.

First there was the plumber...

Just trying to hook my spurstalk peeps up... it takes a village.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Dell has pretty decent online promotions -- techbargains.com usually has them listed -- and their full-tilt replacement program looks pretty good if you're into that.

As for the other companies, CompUSA has had a pretty nice selection lately -- I'm partial to the new Turion or smaller Pentium M HP/Compaqs out these days in the $1000-1500 range before the various rebates they always seem to be offerring. My girlfriend has a similar Fujitsu and it's a great machine; I recommend that brand if you don't mind paying the premium for quality.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Not in San Antonio but two friends of mine have purchased machines from Averatec and are quite pleased. Check em out!

The Wright Stuff
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    it takes a village
    Okay, Hillary...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Are going to watch movies on this laptop, or is that a priority, or do you want something that's light and can run business programs?

I would look at the Dell Inspiron 700m on the dell small business site.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Not in San Antonio but two friends of mine have purchased machines from Averatec and are quite pleased. Check em out!
    CompUSA actually had one of their tablet PCs we used in setting up a plastic surgeon's office. Older tech but not bad, all things considered. David seems to have the ducats to go upscale, though....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Buy a Dell...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have two Dell's. One is a 600M and the other is a 9100. A friend of my brother bought a 9100 after I did and my brother got an XPS which is it's big brother.

All are great laptops. I actually used to own a D600 which is the business version of the 600M, only problem is the graphics memory bandwidth is half that of the 600M so I traded up.

I highly recommend Dell laptops, there technical support may be spotty but I don't need technical support, and with the internet you probably won't either. Their warranty support is superb, they will even send you replacement rubber feet if you email them.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Thanks to all of you for your tips and consideration. I really appreciate it.

Thread Information