Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad to see them planning to open. Good Hygiene will be the norm in all aspects for awhile after this, which is a positive. There should be more focus on health and nutrition in society as a result, but unfortunately that may clash with body positivity movement and never be addressed. Too bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...?ocid=msedgntp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    okay, i'm comprising! scratch the regular season and go straight to POs. wiz are 5 games behind the 8th seed and blazers are 4 games behind so fück em.

give each team scrimmages before starting POs. best of seven, four rounds, just like normal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just. End. The. Season.

NBA is trying way too hard at this point.

We are almost to mid-May...we should be in the depth of the playoffs.

Count your losses and move on, tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just. End. The. Season.

NBA is trying way too hard at this point.

We are almost to mid-May...we should be in the depth of the playoffs.

Count your losses and move on, tbh.
    I don't think its about getting it done just to play it out. I think it has to do with getting something into action so they know how to adjust and how it feels under these conditions. Of course the money doesn't hurt, but its more of a dress rehearsal for next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adam Silver told players to not expect fans if the season resumes, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Silver said a season decision can go into June, and there is going to be risk until there is a coronavirus vaccine. Silver also told players it’s safer to play in one or two locations than flying around to cities and facilities. Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.com adds that players told Silver that they were pressure from organizations to return to volunteer workouts at facilities, and Silver said he'd address it with teams. Silver also said he was hopeful play could resume if a player tests positive for COVID-19.

NBA teams opening practice facilities for workouts will be allowed to administer tests to asymptomatic players and staff, as long as testing "has become readily available" in their locality.

Adrian Wojnarowski cites the Magic, Clippers and Lakers as teams likely to test "every players and staff member entering facilities," even if they are asymptomatic. If access to the coronavirus test expands rapidly, the NBA might be able to open more facilities and push forward with a quarantined "bubble" approach to resuming the season. For now, teams will continue following strict protocols for a limited re-opening of gyms and training facilities.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Silver keeps dragging his feet. If he wants to save the season he should have started doing it weeks ago. The only thing I could see making any sense is the Walt Disney World bubble ChumpDumper keeps suggesting. I'd tweak it as:

* End the regular season with standings as they are. No one is missing the playoffs on a tiebreaker so it seems fair enough.
    * All players, coaches, team and league staff, refs, announcers, hotel staff, and families for the 16 playoff teams enter the bubble and quarantine for two weeks
    * Three or four week training camp
    * Then playoffs, with teams and their staffs exiting the bubble once eliminated.
    * The money generated is shared throughout all teams in the league, with players on all teams getting the fraction of the earnings correspondng to their current contracts.

I don't think it happens, it's really complicated and expensive and won't generate a ton of money like a real season and playoffs without fans in stadiums and with general apathy from the public likely not making it the ratings bonanza Silver might hope it to be. Season is over. Just gotta hope the country is in decent enough shape by Christmas to begin a new season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is already projections of $400 million gone if regular season not reopened. Collectively, regional TV contracts wouldn't be completely fulfilled. There are estimates of 25% of the season, with playoffs, still remaining. Regional TV stops during the playoffs so let's say, 20% of 1 billion in Regional TV money is affected, or 200 million. Lost Basketball Related Income (BRI) from people not in arenas for playoffs is another estimated $200 million.

That's 800 million and money from sponsorship deals in the different NBA stadiums still isn't discussed along with a host of other revenue streams affected or shut down completely. How much money from player salaries being withheld or not paid all together if season or playoffs don't happen? All of these factors are still to play out where the NBA could be looking at a shortfall that brings the salary cap from a projected 115 million/139 luxury cap for 2020/21 season to 100 - 102 million/126 lux cap.

My main thought in an offseason where the draft class and the UFA class are considered week for 2020, how much more important next year is for the NBA! Silver needs to try to have as many lines of revenue open to try to get the cap back up to close what it was this year (109 million) for when the draft class and UFA class are flowing with talent in 2021! How many teams and players are hoping to capitalize on improving their situations in 2021 offseason and instead of a cap werth 117 to 120 million, the cap is almost 105 million! That would be a major difference for max player contracts and how teams will structure their rosters!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is already projections of $400 million gone if regular season not reopened. Collectively, regional TV contracts wouldn't be completely fulfilled. There are estimates of 25% of the season, with playoffs, still remaining. Regional TV stops during the playoffs so let's say, 20% of 1 billion in Regional TV money is affected, or 200 million. Lost Basketball Related Income (BRI) from people not in arenas for playoffs is another estimated $200 million.

That's 800 million and money from sponsorship deals in the different NBA stadiums still isn't discussed along with a host of other revenue streams affected or shut down completely. How much money from player salaries being withheld or not paid all together if season or playoffs don't happen? All of these factors are still to play out where the NBA could be looking at a shortfall that brings the salary cap from a projected 115 million/139 luxury cap for 2020/21 season to 100 - 102 million/126 lux cap.

My main thought in an offseason where the draft class and the UFA class are considered week for 2020, how much more important next year is for the NBA! Silver needs to try to have as many lines of revenue open to try to get the cap back up to close what it was this year (109 million) for when the draft class and UFA class are flowing with talent in 2021! How many teams and players are hoping to capitalize on improving their situations in 2021 offseason and instead of a cap werth 117 to 120 million, the cap is almost 105 million! That would be a major difference for max player contracts and how teams will structure their rosters!
    The reality is, you can’t do it. If one player tests positive, they have to shut it down. He will have infected players on his team, and opponents for up to two weeks before symptoms show. Those other teams will have infected teams that THEY played. The season needs to be written off before they spend a bunch of money setting up a bubble, get into it, and have to cancel it anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Silver keeps dragging his feet. If he wants to save the season he should have started doing it weeks ago. The only thing I could see making any sense is the Walt Disney World bubble ChumpDumper keeps suggesting. I'd tweak it as:

* End the regular season with standings as they are. No one is missing the playoffs on a tiebreaker so it seems fair enough.
    * All players, coaches, team and league staff, refs, announcers, hotel staff, and families for the 16 playoff teams enter the bubble and quarantine for two weeks
    * Three or four week training camp
    * Then playoffs, with teams and their staffs exiting the bubble once eliminated.
    * The money generated is shared throughout all teams in the league, with players on all teams getting the fraction of the earnings correspondng to their current contracts.

I don't think it happens, it's really complicated and expensive and won't generate a ton of money like a real season and playoffs without fans in stadiums and with general apathy from the public likely not making it the ratings bonanza Silver might hope it to be. Season is over. Just gotta hope the country is in decent enough shape by Christmas to begin a new season.

There is reportedly a "belief around the league" that teams currently out of the postseason picture will not resume play this season.

An unnamed "front office executive" told The Ringer, "[T]he thought is that the league won’t have the time or resources to bring all 30 teams to one location and play out the regular season." The logistics are easier when 16 teams are involved, compared to 30, and teams without immediate championship aspirations might even prefer to sit it out. According to one Eastern Conference assistant coach, "Our players have an itch to get back on the court, but the organization prefers they not return and risk injury when we are already looking ahead to next season."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reality is, you can’t do it. If one player tests positive, they have to shut it down. He will have infected players on his team, and opponents for up to two weeks before symptoms show. Those other teams will have infected teams that THEY played. The season needs to be written off before they spend a bunch of money setting up a bubble, get into it, and have to cancel it anyway

Not every player would take two weeks to show symptoms,but i get what youre saying

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is speculation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not every player would take two weeks to show symptoms,but i get what youre saying
    Notice the words ‘up to’ in front of ‘two weeks’.

You shed virus at the highest rate before you show symptoms, and will infect people. I’m guessing that inside their bubble, they’ll feel safe, and not take precautions. It would spread like wildfire if it got in.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Notice the words ‘up tp’ in front of ‘two weeks’.

You shed virus at the highest rate before you show symptoms, and will infect people. I’m guessing that inside their bubble, they’ll feel safe, and not take precautions. It would spread like wildfire if it got in.
    Lol. OK

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Notice the words ‘up to’ in front of ‘two weeks’. You shed virus at the highest rate before you show symptoms, and will infect people. I’m guessing that inside their bubble, they’ll feel safe, and not take precautions. It would spread like wildfire if it got in.
    It obviously itsnt a ideal scenario especially with asymptomatic carriers. Testing would obviously be magnified but well see. Luckily no pro athlete had died or even been hospitalized as far as i know of

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It obviously itsnt a ideal scenario especially with asymptomatic carriers. Testing would obviously be magnified but well see. Luckily no pro athlete had died or even been hospitalized as far as i know of
    A professional soccer player in Iran died of COVID.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A professional soccer player in Iran died of COVID.

Nope. I said PRO sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. I said PRO sports

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Nope. I said PRO sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the major options to save the salary cap, if the regular season AND PLAYOFFS are shut down, is you completely stop paying the players! No percentage withholding in escrow, you just stop. Because that escrow holding isn't about money for the players down the road so much as it is a parachute to help with the salary cap from free falling as badly.

How much of what we're seeing about bubbles, Disney world, Vegas, is basically Silver not wanting to come to the players union, ie Chris Paul, and to an extent LBJ, and say "your paychecks are stopping effective immediately"? And in the players cases, like LeBron, who have already been payed the vast majority of their salaries, they would be asked to RETURN SALARY because they would have technically been paid for games they didn't play.

Also, how is the NBA, Disney, and Turner getting away with collecting full payment over the the months of March and April from the public, especially ones with cable and satellite, without showing any live games?? Shouldn't they be prorating a portion of those revenues back to the customers?? It's like buying a concert ticket, going to the concert, it gets canceled, but the band keeps the money without performing. They'd be sued if that happened. Why is the public supposed to just keep it's wallets open for the NBA, DISNEY, and TURNER when the public is the ones loosing their jobs to the tune of 30+ million unemployed and growing?
    Last edited by LCM; 05-09-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those who keep on asking what happens if another player tests positive after the lockdowns...

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...COVID-19-Again

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yup -- they will pull guys from the waiver wire to finish things out if they have to. All about the $$$

For those who keep on asking what happens if another player tests positive after the lockdowns...

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...COVID-19-Again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adam Silver told players that the 2019-20 season could conclude as late as October, according to Jared Dudley.

Dudley is an NBPA team representative for the Lakers, along with Danny Green, and he wrote on Twitter, "[October] was the latest I've heard ... The thinking is the longer it takes to finish [2019-20], the longer they can push back the start of next season until December or January. Then giving the league a possible chance for fans if a vaccine or treatment comes available." Silver said fan revenue accounts for roughly 40% of the league's income, so allowing crowds into arenas for the 2020-21 season is the obvious goal.

SOURCE: Jared Dudley on Twitter
    May 9, 2020, 3:15 PM ET

Thread Information