Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont speak that language, so i have no clue what that means. and that's the name of a TV show. you're complaining that the le of some media work has a misspelling?

wheres all the outrage for Mortal Kombat, Se7en, or Inglourious Basterds
    Tell that to ma mig elnono tbqh

I fully trust that n8g

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Robinson, in his penultimate career home game, once said to "throw the other team into a tailspin".

They tried, but, the [inferior] Nets got the upper hand, and, ultimately won the game.

I still get after S-Jax for not using the pump-fake (with ~4 seconds left) and allowing Kidd to fly by to yield the most open shot of his life instead of rushing the shot (which still came pretty darn close but was clearly affected by the Kidd contest at the last second).
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 08-13-2020 at 02:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tell that to ma mig elnono tbqh

I fully trust that n8g
    we should all just speak armenian tbh, no gendered pronouns or grammar or anything like that. then you can limit your outrage to things like Kombat, Inglourious, and Basterds

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we should all just speak armenian tbh, no gendered pronouns or grammar or anything like that. then you can limit your outrage to things like Kombat, Inglourious, and Basterds
    What it really comes down to is name shaming people who use something incorrectly when they have no intentions of being confrontational or insensitive.
    It gets extremely difficult to keep up with who makes the rules and what is proper. It used to take extensive history of abusive use of a word that did not used to be an abusive term. I dont know how much time, or how things go viral, but it gets difficult and frustrating.

I have a friend who grew up in the Hill Country and if you call his dad a Cedar Hacker, he will beat the out of you. So its also regional.

But then you guys have Darrin... Who seems to tease with stuff I dont keep up with.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Latin languages are worse tbh. At least in English we don't have male and female nouns for everything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What it really comes down to is name shaming people who use something incorrectly when they have no intentions of being confrontational or insensitive.
    It gets extremely difficult to keep up with who makes the rules and what is proper. It used to take extensive history of abusive use of a word that did not used to be an abusive term. I dont know how much time, or how things go viral, but it gets difficult and frustrating.

I have a friend who grew up in the Hill Country and if you call his dad a Cedar Hacker, he will beat the out of you. So its also regional.

But then you guys have Darrin... Who seems to tease with stuff I dont keep up with.
    i would agree that's problematic, i dont know how often that actually happens though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was speaking about spanish, tbh, but generally, I'm not opposed to the addition of words due to cultural changes. However, pressure to replace certain words because it's the cultural fad du jour is wrong, IMVHO.
    First, I guess I was drunk when I typed that. Like point still remains, but that paragraph has way to many errors for it to be about me telling other people what's proper in English.

Second, it seems like the biggest issue with it is the cultural barrier I was talking about. It's basically just an English word that's starting to transition into US Spanish. You're not the only person who looks at it as an imposition of PC culture on people with completely different cultural iden ies. Why should an educated Yuppie group of folks tell the rest of the hemisphere what they should call themselves? I do think this highlights what I was saying. Latinx is, at its root, English. Its existence says nothing about how gendered language should work in Spanish. What English-speakers say isn't at the whim of what Spanish-speakers want any more than the reverse is. It's just American/estadounidense in another form. Keep Latinx to English and leave latino/a as it is in Spanish. Or don't. . Sociolinguistics tracks really well with ecology. Survival of the fittest. The two words will coexist or one will win. Time will tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i would agree that's problematic, i dont know how often that actually happens though
    I think there would be a number of people on this board we could name that say the attack on the innocent "name caller" happens all the time.
    And that MM perpetuates this shaming.

I really dont know either.

900 DPH / Proud Narc
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    trans boogeymen gonna ruin conservatives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's how language evolves though. Words become prestige or non-prestige basically for no objective reason. After that, people are shamed into not using the non-prestige word or only using it certain contexts, and you get different language sub-cultures. Sometimes, the two groups never come together, and you get artifacts of certain variants in some populations (like aks and leapt). Sometimes the two words co-exists with similar but different means (cow and beef). Sometimes one just wins (you and thou). But behind all of them is a group of people shaming others for using the wrong variant until they change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's how language evolves though. Words become prestige or non-prestige basically for no objective reason. After that, people are shamed into not using the non-prestige word or only using it certain contexts, and you get different language sub-cultures. Sometimes, the two groups never come together, and you get artifacts of certain variants in some populations (like aks and leapt). Sometimes the two words co-exists with similar but different means (cow and beef). Sometimes one just wins (you and thou). But behind all of them is a group of people shaming others for using the wrong variant until they change.
    Yes I understand that.
    But in its infancy, its not easy.
    The transition is difficult quite obviously.
    If I said "thats the bomb, da bomb", instead of "thats cool... People would get that I am falling behind the acceptable. And in this case I think "cool" will also be short lived now that this summer is "sucking" so badly in SA right now.

Totally agree in its infancy, as you stated above, it might make it evolutionarily or just die.

btw... I cant read Shakespeare very well. At all...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Esperanto

Then Latin imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The SAME PEOPLE who think the federal government has no authority to enforce federal #immigration laws (which are on the books) think we should have an enforceable federal mask mandate...
    #LiberalLogic 🙄
    Biden and Harris want one now for atleast 3 months

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sooo the birther strategy worked so great with Obama that they're recycling it with Harris now.

Trump's team is running on empty. Literally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Latinx isn't supposed to function in place of Latino/Latina. It only functions in place of a default use of Latino. You are seriously misunderstanding the purpose of the word.
    No, actually that's exactly what it's being used for, specifically in spanish, which is what I was referring to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont speak that language, so i have no clue what that means. and that's the name of a TV show. you're complaining that the le of some media work has a misspelling?

wheres all the outrage for Mortal Kombat, Se7en, or Inglourious Basterds
    It's not just the TV show... we have public figures using that all over twitter...

The whole things comes up because gender is given by the context, and when the context applies similarly to male/female, then normally the male term is used (though not in all cases).

So now they came up with these words that supposedly do away with an implicit machismo of some sort, which, IMO, is ridiculous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, I guess I was drunk when I typed that. Like point still remains, but that paragraph has way to many errors for it to be about me telling other people what's proper in English.

Second, it seems like the biggest issue with it is the cultural barrier I was talking about. It's basically just an English word that's starting to transition into US Spanish. You're not the only person who looks at it as an imposition of PC culture on people with completely different cultural iden ies. Why should an educated Yuppie group of folks tell the rest of the hemisphere what they should call themselves? I do think this highlights what I was saying. Latinx is, at its root, English. Its existence says nothing about how gendered language should work in Spanish. What English-speakers say isn't at the whim of what Spanish-speakers want any more than the reverse is. It's just American/estadounidense in another form. Keep Latinx to English and leave latino/a as it is in Spanish. Or don't. . Sociolinguistics tracks really well with ecology. Survival of the fittest. The two words will coexist or one will win. Time will tell.
    Not really. Latino in Spanish goes back to the 1400's, and refers to towns or cities that spoke latin-based languages.

But more importantly, this news bit from the Real Academia Española sums up my sentiment (article is in english)

https://remezcla.com/culture/rae-style-manual/

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm in a tailspin, tbh

Who's on Kamala's short list of VP candidates, btw? She needs to start thinking about that.
    I hope it's Hillary

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    What's wrong with being biracial? I bet Dolly got a few half Black kids

Look at how she firmly holds that Black microphone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not just the TV show... we have public figures using that all over twitter...
    i dont really see the harm, it only doesnt make sense to me in that i dont know how you would pronounce latinx when spoken, etc. makes more sense to use a spelling that is more phonetically reasonable, just from a practical perspective

The whole things comes up because gender is given by the context, and when the context applies similarly to male/female, then normally the male term is used (though not in all cases).

So now they came up with these words that supposedly do away with an implicit machismo of some sort, which, IMO, is ridiculous.
    maybe. i dont see the harm other than the nuisance of adjusting. its obviously annoying when not used to it... its why americans never picked up the metric system either, even despite having legislation to try to push that conversion

nobody will mind in a few years. even the way we are "allowed" to insult changes with time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, actually that's exactly what it's being used for, specifically in spanish, which is what I was referring to.

I'm telling you it's not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FEC: Kamala Harris Owes $1M From Unsuccessful Presidential Bid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm telling you it's not.
    I just linked you to an article and statement coming from the Real Academia Española, which says it's exactly what's being used for, and they rejected adding it to the language.

Sorry, Manny, I read a lot of spanish material, I know what I'm talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont really see the harm, it only doesnt make sense to me in that i dont know how you would pronounce latinx when spoken, etc. makes more sense to use a spelling that is more phonetically reasonable, just from a practical perspective

maybe. i dont see the harm other than the nuisance of adjusting. its obviously annoying when not used to it... its why americans never picked up the metric system either, even despite having legislation to try to push that conversion

nobody will mind in a few years. even the way we are "allowed" to insult changes with time.
    Like I said, it's JMO. I don't have a problem from a social standpoint, I have a problem with it from a communication standpoint. I see it largely useless and comes to replace something that didn't need replacing.

Thread Information