Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    its like you want to hinder the spurs by keeping them in a boring city when they could move to one of the best cities in all of america & attract marquee free agents
    is it your ego?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vegas baby

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not really an hour what are you gonna do? drive up there at 630 for a game lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fine, thick San Antone women.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fine, thick San Antone women.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because Austin sucks and is filled with smelly vagrants

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where would the Toros play? San Antonio?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, no rapes occurred in the courtship of Timmy Duncs and his wife Vanessa.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They won't do it.
    If anythng, they'll move down 35, in between.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want them here. They're just fine in SA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its like you want to hinder the spurs by keeping them in a boring city when they could move to one of the best cities in all of america & attract marquee free agents
    is it your ego?
    Easy answer: Marquee free agents don't give a about Austin anymore than they do San Antonio.

These are millionaires who can travel anywhere they want. They visit all of the best cities in the US on a regular basis on the team's dime, and can afford vacations to wherever they want in the offseason.

Ain't no star choosing the Spurs over anybody else just because they are based in Austin vs. San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy answer: Marquee free agents don't give a about Austin anymore than they do San Antonio.

These are millionaires who can travel anywhere they want. They visit all of the best cities in the US on a regular basis on the team's dime, and can afford vacations to wherever they want in the offseason.

Ain't no star choosing the Spurs over anybody else just because they are based in Austin vs. San Antonio.
    I agree with this, just because tech thinks it's cool doesn't mean a young black male thinks it's interesting. I don't see that much appeal difference between SA and Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will remain a die hard fan so long as it's Austin, where they've got their g-league, and curated a natural fan base, or San Antonio.

They take the team to Vegas or Seattle (even though I might move there), or anywhere else for that matter, they can get ed. Professional teams have to stop doing that to their base fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hard disagree. There's a reason they come to town to go party when they do. There's a reason Austin has become an international magnet to the world's biggest corporations. There's a reason they built the only F1 track here. There's a reason Austin is about to have the largest building in Texas, with more high rises planned. There's a reason the few Hollywood folks move here when they decide not to live there.

Austin has a vibe that markets itself to the young, hip crowd and the entertainment options to keep them busy year after year after year.

All that said I hope they stay in San Antonio. But it's naive to say there's no difference between the two places in the eyes of free agents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taking the Spurs to Austin is not a good move. You have decades of history here and the city of San Antonio is a big part of their success.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard disagree. There's a reason they come to town to go party when they do. There's a reason Austin has become an international magnet to the world's biggest corporations. There's a reason they built the only F1 track here. There's a reason Austin is about to have the largest building in Texas, with more high rises planned. There's a reason the few Hollywood folks move here when they decide not to live there.

Austin has a vibe that markets itself to the young, hip crowd and the entertainment options to keep them busy year after year after year.

All that said I hope they stay in San Antonio. But it's naive to say there's no difference between the two places in the eyes of free agents.
    What I don't know is if the appeal to Austin is mostly for white people? I mean, it's a super white city. Maybe they doesn't matter to millionaire black athletes, but it makes me wonder. The target destinations are still on the coasts (Lakers, Miami), and second tier teams that are still near the coasts. Middle America teams are definitely a tier below for free agents. So Austin is weird (but not in the way it self advertises itself with bumper stickers) in that I don't know how it is perceived in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Traffic and separation from Hispanic culture.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Austin will never be in the league of LA, Miami, NYC which are the 3 places all the marquee FA's want to go to. It's not even in the league of what I call the second-tier places where big FAs would like to play which is Chicago, Houston, ATL. The third tier I would say is Washington, Philadelphia. Austin would be probably in the fourth tier. with Dallas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I don't know is if the appeal to Austin is mostly for white people? I mean, it's a super white city. Maybe they doesn't matter to millionaire black athletes, but it makes me wonder. The target destinations are still on the coasts (Lakers, Miami), and second tier teams that are still near the coasts. Middle America teams are definitely a tier below for free agents. So Austin is weird (but not in the way it self advertises itself with bumper stickers) in that I don't know how it is perceived in the NBA.
    I would even say Charlotte would be even more appealing place for young black athlete since it's basically a smaller ATL with a larger black population than Austin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They come because of George Kazmetsky. The dean of the UTbusiness school in the 70s and the founder of Teledyne.Without him there would have been no Dell. He lived in California and flew to Austin each week. It has nothing to do with the drunk geeks and everything to do with the realtionships that were forged right through the federal government and is even connected to George Bush Sr.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA, NY, Miami can attract free agents based on the city. Everywhere else it’s due to the team(chance for a le) or $$$. I mean how many marque free agents have cities viewed above San Antonio signed? I don’t remember many marque free agents flocking to Washington, Dallas, Atlanta, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I unfortunately live in Austin, and it’s been trash for years. SA is a much better city.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Austin being a tech boom city doesn't mean anything to the NBA or its players...unless you think the Spurs are going to manage to get some sponsorships from the Dells, Apples, or Teslas of the town.

If players want to go up to Austin to party or check out F1 or whatever, they can easily pop up here.

San Antonio already has an established fan base and culture in a city of more than 1.5 million people. You can't just expect to replicate that in Austin overnight, and you also shouldn't expect thousands of existing fans to make that "hour drive" 41 times a year. You seriously expecting to ask the fans to make that drive all the time, instead of the few players who may feel like checking out Austin occasionally?

I've been in Austin for a long time and can tell you that people are lukewarm on the Spurs. , they basically have to give away tickets to the Austin Spurs games just to get people in there.

Also, Moody Center is significantly smaller than AT&T and the parking situation downtown is a nightmare, so I wouldn't act like they have an arena just ready to go up here.

Don't get me wrong, I would love if I didn't have to drive down to SA for Spurs games...but bailing to Austin is just flushing their history down the toilet and spitting in the face of the city and fans who built them.
    Last edited by Dex; 07-28-2022 at 08:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will remain a die hard fan so long as it's Austin, where they've got their g-league, and curated a natural fan base, or San Antonio.

They take the team to Vegas or Seattle (even though I might move there), or anywhere else for that matter, they can get ed. Professional teams have to stop doing that to their base fans.
    You considering Van? It’s a wicked city man.

Thread Information