Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast
    My Team
    Miami Dolphins
    Post Count
    Could be talking about Maradona, who is a 5'2" chubby midget. naldo doesn't belong in the conversation, poor advanced stats (the only soccer thing I'll look at). I understand why povertyball fans pimp him, though. He's one of the few who have something resembling muscle mass and "looks athletic" despite being slower than Prince Fielder and having a lower vertical than Warren Sapp
    Imagine caring about analytics and advanced stats in soccer

Nobody cares how many shots a soccer player takes as long as you get the W. I haven't looked into it but i imagine Barca's numbers are all nice and cute to look at, despite that they only have 1 champions league in the last 7 seasons

Ronaldo is the most accomplished player in the modern era and every team he joins takes a step to the next level in wins/trophies.

In the NL (and AL in part of each world series) managers make a lot of extremely important situational personnel decisions pretty much throughout that directly determine who wins or loses.

AL managers, except for the world series, have it extremely easy. They pretty much have a one-page set of solutions that they already pre-decided on in March and only slightly ever have to tweak all year.
    True, but many of those decisions are pretty straightforward (i.e. If the hitter coming up in a high leverage situation is lifetime 0-27 against a relief pitcher, you obviously pinch hit for him). Unlike the other sports, if Mike Trout is getting shutdown by Verlander, not much a manager can do to tilt the situation into Trout's favor by "freeing him up" with some set plays, or switching offensively, etc. Trout has to be the manager of himself and figure out how to counter what Verlander is doing. Sure, hitting coaches can help with tips if the batter is having trouble due to a mechanic glitch, but it's primarily up to the players to come up with tactics.

It's still not psychologically easy to be a baseball manager through. They're probably under more pressure to make the right decision since you can't bring in a player you took out back in, so that pitching change or pinch hit sub better in' work.

Imagine caring about analytics and advanced stats in soccer

Nobody cares how many shots a soccer player takes as long as you get the W. I haven't looked into it but i imagine Barca's numbers are all nice and cute to look at, despite that they only have 1 champions league in the last 7 seasons

Ronaldo is the most accomplished player in the modern era and every team he joins takes a step to the next level in wins/trophies.
    Every activity on Earth can be explained (to a degree) by stats. Yes, psychological and emotional tangibles exist, often making fools of nerds who rely on nothing but stats, but from the stats I've seen, goal expectancy is greater with Messi in the lineup vs. Ronaldo. Is Ronaldo a better big game player? That I wouldn't know.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    True, but many of those decisions are pretty straightforward (i.e. If the hitter coming up in a high leverage situation is lifetime 0-27 against a relief pitcher, you obviously pinch hit for him). Unlike the other sports, if Mike Trout is getting shutdown by Verlander, not much a manager can do to tilt the situation into Trout's favor by "freeing him up" with some set plays, or switching offensively, etc. Trout has to be the manager of himself and figure out how to counter what Verlander is doing. Sure, hitting coaches can help with tips if the batter is having trouble due to a mechanic glitch, but it's primarily up to the players to come up with tactics.

It's still not psychologically easy to be a baseball manager through. They're probably under more pressure to make the right decision since you can't bring in a player you took out back in, so that pitching change or pinch hit sub better in' work.
    yeah, and if you took out your ace because you had a couple guys on base with 2 outs in the top of the 9th+ and he was coming up to bat, and the pinch hitter strikes out, and in the bottom of the inning your reliever gets slugged out of the park, you got some major 'splainin to do.

yeah, and if you took out your ace because you had a couple guys on base with 2 outs in the top of the 9th+ and he was coming up to bat, and the pinch hitter strikes out, and in the bottom of the inning your reliever gets slugged out of the park, you got some major 'splainin to do.
    I read an article (forgot by whom) why a baseball manager is probably the hardest job in American sports. Not necessarily because of the coaching demands they're under, but because they have many more 50/50 decisions to make than other coaches with regard to lineup. In basketball, the coach's lineup decisions are easy. Your best players on the floor during crunch time, with your best players getting the most touches. Football. Same. But not so easy a decision in baseball. So you have your Cy Young winning ace at 110 pitch count who is nursing a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 8th. He walks the first batter, looking a bit shaky. Do you bring in your reliever (who gave up a 9th inning walk off homer last night) now? Half would say yes, half would say no. If either decisions backfires, manager's head is on the block.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    I read an article (forgot by whom) why a baseball manager is probably the hardest job in American sports. Not necessarily because of the coaching demands they're under, but because they have many more 50/50 decisions to make than other coaches with regard to lineup. In basketball, the coach's lineup decisions are easy. Your best players on the floor during crunch time, with your best players getting the most touches. Football. Same. But not so easy a decision in baseball. So you have your Cy Young winning ace at 110 pitch count who is nursing a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 8th. He walks the first batter, looking a bit shaky. Do you bring in your reliever (who gave up a 9th inning walk off homer last night) now? Half would say yes, half would say no. If either decisions backfires, manager's head is on the block.
    My real question is what do soccer coaches do

”Hey we just scored to go up 1-0, time to go full defensive formation where we back off and don’t try to score!”

”Hey we just scored to go up 1-0, time to go full defensive formation where we back off and don’t try to score!”
    "Hey guys don't forget the double handjobs after the game!"

https://deadspin.com/brazilian-socce...and-1796682838

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    There are no words how bad ass that NFL commercial with all the ex players was.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    "Hey guys don't forget the double handjobs after the game!"

https://deadspin.com/brazilian-socce...and-1796682838
    I never knew where the nickname “doublehandjobball” came from, now I do

Veteran
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Chiefs early SB favorites for next year :o

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I never knew where the nickname “doublehandjobball” came from, now I do
    Pretty bizarre hazing. And the guy looks so happy.

edit. This wasn’t hazing. I’m confusing this with some baseball story I think.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    There are no words how bad ass that NFL commercial with all the ex players was.
    Only good one all night. Gone are the days with 4 epic bud light commercials every SB, 3 great ones from Doritos, and a ton of other legendary ones. Now it's just one good one every SB involving actual NFL-involved players and a bunch of other boring bull and disgusting left-wing BLM/Antifa sponsored barf material.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    And wtf with the Warhol BK commercial. Is anyone really wanting a Whopper after that?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    patriots, and the final score won't be within a single possession, imo
    i just think the rams are gonna themselves
    easiest call of the season tbh

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    easiest call of the season tbh
    if zuerlein makes that relative easy fg, it's wrong

I think they just basically set lineups and formations and let the players do the job. Foreigners, trying to sell the idea that soccer is some free-flowing chess match in real time, will try to spin it as if Mourihno and Guadoriola (misspelled, don't care) are trying to outwit each other like Fischer and Spassky, but then at the same time celebrate how much "creative freedom" soccer players have. From a soccer manager's mouth:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/germany/s...rector?src=com

Talent more important than voodoo systems and tactics. Like any sport, really.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Chiefs early SB favorites for next year :o
    They have almost no key free agents this year and Mahomes will only get better.

IMO Goff’s performance today was more than just jitters, some guys just don’t have the mental wherewithal to stay calm on the big stage and it looks like he’s one of them. I definitely wouldn’t rank the Rams as favorites.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    if zuerlein makes that relative easy fg, it's wrong
    same could be said of ghost

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Don't you have some riveting 0-0 ties to watch while running up your "pub tab"?
    Honest question, does the NFL even qualify as sport?

Obese pea brains fall on each other after 5 seconds of "action". Followed by 5 minutes of political ads. 3 hours of this redudancy

How much junk food and alcohol must you consume to uohold interest. Is that why Americans are fat

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    They have almost no key free agents this year and Mahomes will only get better.

IMO Goff’s performance today was more than just jitters, some guys just don’t have the mental wherewithal to stay calm on the big stage and it looks like he’s one of them. I definitely wouldn’t rank the Rams as favorites.
    Saints are in cap and I think Brees has lost it...

We'll know more about the Pats after the Gronk decision... I think Brady will be fine

If the Chiefs want to beat the Pats they're going to need better LB and secondary play... desperately need corners.

If the Cowboys sign Earl Thomas, bring back Lawrence, get Frederick back, have a good offseason, they could be NFC favorites...

Not sure on the Eagles, Wentz no longer will have a viable backup if he gets hurt, and they have quite a few names in free agency this spring...

Bears and Vikings in the north... not sold on either QB, it's going to come down to whose defense is better...

Chargers will be in the mix for a wild card birth...

AFC North is wide open, and the Browns might be the best team...

Colts run the south.

Honest question, does the NFL even qualify as sport?

Obese pea brains fall on each other after 5 seconds of "action". Followed by 5 minutes of political ads. 3 hours of this redudancy

How much junk food and alcohol must you consume to uohold interest. Is that why Americans are fat
    You're American, though

You have a valid point that the NFL has become bogged down by advertising. No one would argue that, but as soccer fans do with baseball, denigrating the sport because "fat people" play it is a dumb point. I'm glad not all sports follow the cliched design of guys running around a rectangle trying to put a ball/object into a net. American football is unique (and far superior to the slogfest that is rugby).

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    You're American, though

You have a valid point that the NFL has become bogged down by advertising. No one would argue that, but as soccer fans do with baseball, denigrating the sport because "fat people" play it is a dumb point. I'm glad not all sports follow the cliched design of guys running around a rectangle trying to put a ball/object into a net. American football is unique (and far superior to the slogfest that is rugby).
    exactly... unary "sports" that follow that extremely simpleton design (povertyball, puckey, and lacrosse) are all pathetic.

exactly... unary "sports" that follow that extremely simpleton design (povertyball, puckey, and lacrosse) are all pathetic.
    Field hockey, ice hockey, water polo, lacrosse, hurling, soccer, net ball, basketball, handball are all basically the same sport. Rugby is sort of similar. Basketball is the most cleverly designed, but is essentially high scoring vertical handsoccer. Ice hockey is neat, since they play it on ice. Doesn't mean these sports are bad, but two of them are (Basketball and hockey) are enough for me. Rest of the world loves that design, though. Can't get enough of it.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Field hockey, ice hockey, water polo, lacrosse, hurling, soccer, net ball, basketball, handball are all basically the same sport. Rugby is sort of similar. Basketball is the most cleverly designed, but is essentially high scoring vertical handsoccer. Ice hockey is neat, since they play it on ice. Doesn't mean these sports are bad, but two of them are (Basketball and hockey) are enough for me. Rest of the world loves that design, though. Can't get enough of it.
    It's a dumb, simplistic design that little kids with down syndrome can easily comprehend.

At least basketball has wrinkles the other sports don't. There is only 1 way to score in ice hockey, hence the term... unary. Boooooooring. At least in basketball, there's strategy, because there's 2 point shots, 3 point shots, and free throws. In baseball there's home runs, RBIs, and the odd walk-ins/steal-ins. In football there's TDs, FGs, XPs, 2-point plays, and safeties. Much more sophisticated tbh and that's why these 3 sports are the best in the world.

It's a dumb, simplistic design that little kids with down syndrome can easily comprehend.

At least basketball has wrinkles the other sports don't. There is only 1 way to score in ice hockey, hence the term... unary. Boooooooring. At least in basketball, there's strategy, because there's 2 point shots, 3 point shots, and free throws. In baseball there's home runs, RBIs, and the odd walk-ins/steal-ins. In football there's TDs, FGs, XPs, 2-point plays, and safeties. Much more sophisticated tbh and that's why these 3 sports are the best in the world.
    I agree that sports where you can't take a lead from deficit due to single value goals are inherently worse than sports where you can. The Irish understood this when inventing Gaelic Football (there's a 1 point goal and a 3 point goal), a much improved version of soccer.

Thread Information