Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fine with this.

G-League practice involves more technique and base scheme elements than an NBA practice. Dude is young and needs work. Holding out hope for a .500 record and a first round exit by playing him doesn't make much sense to me.
    Someone who gets it. He could also get his confidence crushed being thrown out there with an empty toolbox. He needs to learn how to operate out of the triple threat position. He needs a rocker step move. He needs to learn how to post up smaller players. He needs to clean up his dribble. He won’t learn these playing in the NBA as an 18 year old, beings abused by older, more experienced players. Players with less talent could school him with better basic knowledge of the game. He has ONE year of D1 ball, as a 4th option. He needs a course in professional basketball, and then he needs to be turned loose as the primary option in Austin, 30 minutes a game, controlling the offense, controlling the rock.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before we get angry about this, let's see if he really stands out in G-League.
    Doesn’t matter. It would be nice, but Kyle Anderson was a gleague standout. So was Jarron Blossomgame. He needs to be developed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First game isn't until November 5th

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before we get angry about this, let's see if he really stands out in G-League.
    too late

bryn forbes has already played 33 minutes this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo being given some more regular season run instead of the token minutes going to Forbes > Primo getting extensive run in gleague > Primo being a glorified mascot to get crowd pumped

but a year like this where there aren't any playoff aspirations is the perfect year to throw guys like Primo into the fire. this is unreal
    I get it you would rather him play 17 mpg as a backup instead of 30 mpg starting in gleague.

Nevermind what role they are trying to develop him in. If you want him to work on ball handling, running pnr ad nauseum and just running the offense that is not going to happen in SA.

i can get all the whinging about game management and rotations but player development?

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another lottery pick for what? Having the best G league team isn't an accomplishment.
    Gotta get that Austin market

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is the most predictable coach in the NBA "Primo needs to get over himself"

The only way that Primo can get out of there is if he dominates and averages 30+ points

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its so funny that people get "should primo start in the g league" With "i want the shiny new object on my TV" mixed up. Its beyond obvious that primo is a major prospect, and its not a big deal he doesn't play on the main team. He's veryyoung, and will be much better if given ball handling minutes. There may be minutes on the big team, but not focus. Lonnie and keldon need attention too. . This is a sorting out year for many other players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get it you would rather him play 17 mpg as a backup instead of 30 mpg starting in gleague.

Nevermind what role they are trying to develop him in. If you want him to work on ball handling, running pnr ad nauseum and just running the offense that is not going to happen in SA.

i can get all the whinging about game management and rotations but player development?
    my issue is that he's not even being given the opportunity to earn a role where he can handle the ball and run pnr in a backup role

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool, maybe I'll go catch a game in Cedar Park sometime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone who gets it. He could also get his confidence crushed being thrown out there with an empty toolbox. He needs to learn how to operate out of the triple threat position. He needs a rocker step move. He needs to learn how to post up smaller players. He needs to clean up his dribble. He won’t learn these playing in the NBA as an 18 year old, beings abused by older, more experienced players. Players with less talent could school him with better basic knowledge of the game. He has ONE year of D1 ball, as a 4th option. He needs a course in professional basketball, and then he needs to be turned loose as the primary option in Austin, 30 minutes a game, controlling the offense, controlling the rock.
    While all of this is true, the fact of the matter is that Tony Parker didn't get that treatment. He was thrown into the fire. Yes, he had TD and Admiral around him at that time but he was still thrust in a very prominent role despite being 19 and not ever having played a minute of basketball in the US before. Wouldn't you say he learned a thing or two despite not playing in the development league? Again, not knocking your assessment, it's just interesting how these decisions play out is all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Landale also assigned to the G-League? Just so he can get over himself as well you know

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Landale also assigned to the G-League? Just so he can get over himself as well you know
    "I mean, he has a Silver Medal, him, he needs to get over himself for that."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my issue is that he's not even being given the opportunity to earn a role where he can handle the ball and run pnr in a backup role
    This is the hubris of fans. We are not in a position to judge how close Primo is to do any such thing.

Popovich is not what he once was but he is in such a position. He hass been working with Primo for over 2 months. He also has a long storied track record of developing talent.

Primo in his own right has very little experience playing college and up, zero experience as a primary option in such a system, and is 18 years old.

But hey Primo should stay with the main club! Why?!? Because he might be able to do something we have no idea if he is capable of!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While all of this is true, the fact of the matter is that Tony Parker didn't get that treatment. He was thrown into the fire. Yes, he had TD and Admiral around him at that time but he was still thrust in a very prominent role despite being 19 and not ever having played a minute of basketball in the US before. Wouldn't you say he learned a thing or two despite not playing in the development league? Again, not knocking your assessment, it's just interesting how these decisions play out is all.
    george hill was also given chances to play and carve out a role as a rookie

kawhi was immediately in the rotation and played himself into a bigger role, triggering the RJ trade

dejuan blair played plenty as a rookie (more than splitter did as a rookie, lol)

its uncomfortably arbitrary

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the hubris of fans. We are not in a position to judge how close Primo is to do any such thing.

Popovich is not what he once was but he is in such a position. He also has a long storied track record of developing talent.

Primo in his own right has very little experience playing college and up, zero experience as a primary option in such a system, and is 18 years old.

But hey Primo should stay with the main club! Why?!? Because he might be able to do something we have no idea if he is capable of!
    there are plenty of times where fans end up being right about things. if we are just going to always defer to the wisdom of those in charge then there's little point to these forums

primo can at least replicate what Forbes is getting minutes for right now, and they can incrementally add more to his plate with time if he's not being overwhelmed. this is the perfect season to do this, since having ups an downs is totally fine, and not jeopardizing playoff expectations

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully he plays well in the G-League and picks up the plays quickly.

it’s gonna be sad/funny if he plays bad in the G-league because it’s gonna be interesting seeing a lot of folks on this site spin the narrative quickly.

I'm hoping he plays well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    george hill was also given chances to play and carve out a role as a rookie

kawhi was immediately in the rotation and played himself into a bigger role, triggering the RJ trade

dejuan blair played plenty as a rookie (more than splitter did as a rookie, lol)

its uncomfortably arbitrary
    Hill and Leonard could stay on the court because of their defense. Hill played 3 years and a redshirt at IUPUI and Leonard is a physical specimen who played 2. Primo does not have that skillset/body coming in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hill and Leonard could stay on the court because of their defense. Hill played 3 years and a redshirt at IUPUI and Leonard is a physical specimen who played 2. Primo does not have that skillset/body coming in.
    forbes stays on the court without defense. primo can easily come in and be as "good" as Forbes on defense

if we had a robust lineup of guards i wouldnt be as upset. but Forbes getting minutes eats into any argument against primo. since Forbes is more physically limited than Primo while being arguably the worst defender in the nba for the last half decade

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like for him to get minutes outside of garbage time but Primo being the primary focus with the Austin club till Christmas isn't a bad idea at all. There is such a thing as developing bad habits at a new job based on the people you work with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there are plenty of times where fans end up being right about things. if we are just going to always defer to the wisdom of those in charge then there's little point to these forums

primo can at least replicate what Forbes is getting minutes for right now, and they can incrementally add more to his plate with time if he's not being overwhelmed. this is the perfect season to do this, since having ups an downs is totally fine, and not jeopardizing playoff expectations
    What does that have to do with anything? Your opinion is uninformed.

Like I said I get the conversation about roster transactions, scheme, rotations, and the like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    forbes stays on the court without defense. primo can easily come in and be as "good" as Forbes on defense
    Forbes is being developed now?

You trying to win now with this roster is what is funny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does that have to do with anything? Your opinion is uninformed.

Like I said I get the conversation about roster transactions, scheme, rotations, and the like.
    our best example of player development in recent years is probably DeJounte, given how much his game has evolved. and he has played a total of 15 games in the gleague. he has gone through extensive growing pains over the years and has become a better player.

this is the perfect season to throw guys into the fire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes is being developed now?

You trying to win now with this roster is what is funny.
    2 strawmen in one post. great work.

no, forbes is not being developed now. but Primo could be given those same minutes and use that time to develop.

and no, we're not trying to win now. which is why this season creates a perfect opportunity for guys to be given minutes and get through some growing pains. Tre Jones as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a bad move. Primo should be a freshman in college. He doesn't have a man's body like Lebron. And he isn't that naturally talented. He'll be in the G-League kind of like Jalen Green was when he opted to skip college and play in the G-League and became the number 2 pick overall. Let him get minutes and when he gets more familiar with the offense, then he can join the Spurs later in the season when it is clear they are out of the playoff hunt and he can get NBA minutes. He is not going to contribute to winning and it will ease his rookie season to get a G-League season under his belt to prepare him for the physicality of the NBA. I won't be surprised, if at his age, he doesn't dominate the G-League.

Thread Information