Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So basically we're ed and un able?
    After 30+ years for HIV, no vaccine, only treatment

I guessing with the $Bs spent chasing C19 vaccine(s), there will be one or more.

Russell Westbrook is infected

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless we can somehow get passive immunity to work on people who have already been infected.
    Or, vaccine along with giving a source of antibodies from elsewhere (passive immunity) for people who have not been infected. not good at all.

This does not sound practical at all, and I am personally going to stick with the hope that most people do become immune after the first infection.
    This is not good news.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also reading in many cases, antibodies disappear within weeks.

If that’s true, pre-vaccine herd immunity is essentially impossible.
    well yeah, you don't have anti-bodies for every disease swimming around your bloodstream, it's about the memory TCells

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well yeah, you don't have anti-bodies for every disease swimming around your bloodstream, it's about the memory TCells
    Yep.
    And these should be plentiful after the first infection so one has a robust response to the 2nd infection, so robust that you dont even know you have been infected.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless we can somehow get passive immunity to work on people who have already been infected.
    Or, vaccine along with giving a source of antibodies from elsewhere (passive immunity) for people who have not been infected. not good at all.

This does not sound practical at all, and I am personally going to stick with the hope that most people do become immune after the first infection.
    This is not good news.
    I'm going to stick with the idea that we all get infected repeatedly and the first infection is the worse. Each successive infection will produce milder illness. Eventually once the entire population has been infected repeatedly Covid-19 will be considered a common cold virus like the other HCoV's. It will take the toll on mankind that it's going to take as that natural process plays out.

A vaccine even if it provided only short term protection could take the place of the initial infection and reduce the severity of subsequent infections which would reduce the mortality rate. That could just be wishful thinking on my part. I have no evidence to back that up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "last week, a Spanish government study found that just 5% of people in Spain have coronavirus antibodies and in a potentially worrying development, the study also indicated that people's immunity to coronavirus wanes after just a few weeks. The findings show that 95% of Spain's population remains susceptible to the virus.

This means that any perceived immunity "can be incomplete, transitory and then disappear," Dr. Raquel Yotti, head of the Carlos III Health Ins ute, a key government agency leading the study, said in a news conference at the time......"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/healt...ess/index.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "last week, a Spanish government study found that just 5% of people in Spain have coronavirus antibodies and in a potentially worrying development, the study also indicated that people's immunity to coronavirus wanes after just a few weeks. The findings show that 95% of Spain's population remains susceptible to the virus.

This means that any perceived immunity "can be incomplete, transitory and then disappear," Dr. Raquel Yotti, head of the Carlos III Health Ins ute, a key government agency leading the study, said in a news conference at the time......"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/healt...ess/index.html
    This is something I mentioned quite some time ago...

Similar short-lived responses are seen against other human coronaviruses that predominantly cause only mild illness, meaning that we can be re-infected as time goes by and outbreaks can adopt seasonality.
    It could be seasonality doesn't exist or develop until essentially the whole or majority of the population has been infected.

Although it is kind of interesting that places that experienced big outbreaks early on were generally colder winter temps while places with mild temps didn't experience large outbreaks until it got hot. Could be the virus thrives in hot or cold temps but doesn't like the middle ground. Guess we just have to wait 10 weeks to see what happens to the northeast when temps start dropping.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to stick with the idea that we all get infected repeatedly and the first infection is the worse. Each successive infection will produce milder illness. Eventually once the entire population has been infected repeatedly Covid-19 will be considered a common cold virus like the other HCoV's. It will take the toll on mankind that it's going to take as that natural process plays out.

A vaccine even if it provided only short term protection could take the place of the initial infection and reduce the severity of subsequent infections which would reduce the mortality rate. That could just be wishful thinking on my part. I have no evidence to back that up.
    Sounds like some fairly solid reasoning. This thing will be cutting years off of average life spans for the next decade or so, would be my guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is something I mentioned quite some time ago...

It could be seasonality doesn't exist or develop until essentially the whole or majority of the population has been infected.

Although it is kind of interesting that places that experienced big outbreaks early on were generally colder winter temps while places with mild temps didn't experience large outbreaks until it got hot. Could be the virus thrives in hot or cold temps but doesn't like the middle ground. Guess we just have to wait 10 weeks to see what happens to the northeast when temps start dropping.
    At this point i really don't think covid cares about temperature

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I think the prospect of T-cell immunity is encouraging. Antibody prevalence doesn't necessarily betray immunity.

My fear is the derp immunity crowd will run with this and use it as excuse to just "yolo" it. The more we learn about this virus, the more clear is that intentional herd immunity is a bad idea. We know nothing about long term effects yet. This is looking to be a vascular disease as much as a respiratory one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is looking to be a vascular disease as much as a respiratory one.
    hence, the incidence of strokes and damage to organs throughout the body.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a little flu, bro!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a little flu, bro!

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    The impact of host resistance on ulative mortality and the threshold of herd immunity for SARS-CoV-2

Abstract

It is widely believed that the herd immunity threshold (HIT) required to prevent a resurgence of SARS-CoV-2 is in excess of 50% for any epidemiological setting. Here, we demonstrate that HIT may be greatly reduced if a fraction of the population is unable to transmit the virus due to innate resistance or cross-protection from exposure to seasonal coronaviruses. The drop in HIT is proportional to the fraction of the population resistant only when that fraction is effectively segregated from the general population; however, when mixing is random, the drop in HIT is more precipitous. Significant reductions in expected mortality can also be observed in settings where a fraction of the population is resistant to infection. These results help to explain the large degree of regional variation observed in seroprevalence and ulative deaths and suggest that sufficient herd-immunity may already be in place to substantially mitigate a potential second wave.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....15.20154294v1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "potential second wave" weasel words

the ACTUAL first wave is still increasing, with DOUBLE the cases compared to March/April

with predictions of even much bigger ACTUAL first wave in a couple months when the flu season starts.

Potential herd immunity talk is just academic bull speculation, totally absent all evidence or even historical b/g.

Meanwhile ALL OTHER INDUSTRIAL countries have their pandemic under control

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...pickerSort=asc

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    herd immunity?

3M, less that 1%, cases in a population of 330M ain't delivering no ing herd immunity. total bull

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The impact of host resistance on ulative mortality and the threshold of herd immunity for SARS-CoV-2

Abstract

It is widely believed that the herd immunity threshold (HIT) required to prevent a resurgence of SARS-CoV-2 is in excess of 50% for any epidemiological setting. Here, we demonstrate that HIT may be greatly reduced if a fraction of the population is unable to transmit the virus due to innate resistance or cross-protection from exposure to seasonal coronaviruses. The drop in HIT is proportional to the fraction of the population resistant only when that fraction is effectively segregated from the general population; however, when mixing is random, the drop in HIT is more precipitous. Significant reductions in expected mortality can also be observed in settings where a fraction of the population is resistant to infection. These results help to explain the large degree of regional variation observed in seroprevalence and ulative deaths and suggest that sufficient herd-immunity may already be in place to substantially mitigate a potential second wave.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....15.20154294v1
    This article is a preprint and has not been certified by peer review [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

Smh disingenuous lazy tsa

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This article is a preprint and has not been certified by peer review [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

What does this mean?

A bunch of college kids got together and wrote some after a few bong hits

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

Says the guy who posted an article from Vox with the one doctor and his one patient

"Wait. I can catch Covid twice?” my 50-year-old patient asked in disbelief. It was the beginning of July, and he had just tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, for a second time — three months after a previous infection

While there’s still much we don’t understand about immunity to this new illness, a small but growing number of cases like his suggest the answer is “yes.”

Covid-19 may also be much worse the second time around. During his first infection, my patient experienced a mild cough and sore throat. His second infection, in contrast, was marked by a high fever, shortness of breath, and hypoxia, resulting in multiple trips to the hospital.

Recent reports and conversations with physician colleagues suggest my patient is not alone. Two patients in New Jersey, for instance, appear to have contracted Covid-19 a second time almost two months after fully recovering from their first infection.

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/12/213216...-herd-immunity

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Says the guy who posted an article from Vox with the one doctor and his one patient

The le says "might".

The article is clearly anecdotal.

Tsa being disingenuous again.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    'Delhi’s Sero Survey Results Show We Are Fast Approaching Herd Immunity': Epidemiologist J P Muliyil

In an exclusive interview, noted epidemiologist Jayaprakash Muliyil tells Outlook that the results of the Delhi’s Sero survey indicate that we are fast approaching herd immunity. He says Covid pandemic is going to end on its own when we reach herd immunity.

https://www.outlookindia.com/website...muliyil/357205

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'Delhi’s Sero Survey Results Show We Are Fast Approaching Herd Immunity': Epidemiologist J P Muliyil

In an exclusive interview, noted epidemiologist Jayaprakash Muliyil tells Outlook that the results of the Delhi’s Sero survey indicate that we are fast approaching herd immunity. He says Covid pandemic is going to end on its own when we reach herd immunity.

https://www.outlookindia.com/website...muliyil/357205
    Q) If an individual has developed antibodies against the virus, does that mean he/she is protected from Coronavirus?

In my opinion, the person is protected for a long time, maybe even for lifetime. It’s not the first virus to come into the world. We, doctors, learn about hundreds of viruses. All of them produce immunity, which is mostly a long-lasting one. I agree that there are some exceptions. This virus, we thought, is going to be an exception. Now we know that it is also behaving like any other virus. If a person gets re-infected with coronavirus, his/her body will make sure that he/she doesn’t die of this disease.
    From that link. Great if it's true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "....Recovery from the disease provides antibodies to fight off the infection. The shelf life of those antibodies, however, may be insufficient to protect a patient for very long or promote long-term immunity across populations.

"The possibility of reinfection is certainly real," Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, told USA TODAY. "And one that I am seeing repeatedly on the front lines."

We are months away from knowing for certain if reinfections are possible or a significant issue," Griffin told USA TODAY..."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/5429012002/

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now we should just max out the hospitals and wait for herd immunity to save us.

Oh wait. That's what we're actually doing already.

Mission accomplished.

Thread Information