Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No troll thread please. I said it last year (and I believe I would’ve been right if the Olympics hadn’t been canceled) but this is Pop’s last season as a coach. I don’t have it sourced, but I believe this is why Pop didn’t trade anybody. It was his last ride or die moment with his team.

Pop did many wonderful things for the community. He cussed out the refs so much they feared him. He was a master of getting the most out of his players. He had so many great moments with reporters that I always felt better in the playoffs after we lost due to them. I liked it when Pop was pissed bc I was heartbroken and they ask stupid questions anyways. “Talk about the 4th quarter...”

The man is an instant ball of famer. He changed his coaching style over the years to twin big men, dump the ball to Duncan, let Manu and Tony run the show, and finally his masterpiece of the beautiful game. I am grateful to Pop. He is a legend. He made my Spurs fandom much better. He gave us the nasty. He cussed out Joey Crawford during game 6 when I was doing the same, and him on the boat floating on the river walk counting to 5 rings is probably the second best moment as a fan (with the 99 championship a clear number 1)

I will miss you Pop. Good luck on the Olympics and THANK YOU

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope you're correct... but I think he stays and chases the record..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No troll thread please. I said it last year (and I believe I would’ve been right if the Olympics hadn’t been canceled) but this is Pop’s last season as a coach. I don’t have it sourced, but I believe this is why Pop didn’t trade anybody. It was his last ride or die moment with his team.

Pop did many wonderful things for the community. He cussed out the refs so much they feared him. He was a master of getting the most out of his players. He had so many great moments with reporters that I always felt better in the playoffs after we lost due to them. I liked it when Pop was pissed bc I was heartbroken and they ask stupid questions anyways. “Talk about the 4th quarter...”

The man is an instant ball of famer. He changed his coaching style over the years to twin big men, dump the ball to Duncan, let Manu and Tony run the show, and finally his masterpiece of the beautiful game. I am grateful to Pop. He is a legend. He made my Spurs fandom much better. He gave us the nasty. He cussed out Joey Crawford during game 6 when I was doing the same, and him on the boat floating on the river walk counting to 5 rings is probably the second best moment as a fan (with the 99 championship a clear number 1)

I will miss you Pop. Good luck on the Olympics and THANK YOU
    Best for everyone tbh but not convinced this is it. If so, he could have done better at setting the team up for future success but at this point his departure is at least a step in the right direction. Coach Becky has next. Hopefully post Pop Brian Wright can show us he is deserving of the GM role and it was Pop who was the impediment. He has ALOT to prove.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am pretty sure the team gets remodelled next season. I suspect significant changes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am pretty sure the team gets remodelled next season. I suspect significant changes.
    As we all suspected for the last 2-4 years and nothing happened..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The sooner the senile old drunk is gone the better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll see if he calls it quits or returns for another season. I'm on the fence about either move and don't see a suitable replacement for him, anyway.

His coaching after the all - star break has been a lot more bad than good, especially with the (obviously coming) leaning on Patty, Rudy and DeMar in close games (or with heavy minutes).

At the same time I don't completely think he has it in him to coach an even younger team next season. We'll see, but I'm definitely thankful for him being in San Antonio and everything he's helped accomplish there. A lot of coaches would've ed it up long ago and Timmy would've bailed on them in 2000 - 2001.

Instead, the team had unprecedented success for a small market team and built themselves up into a upper echelon organization. The slide back down the mountain has been ugly, rough and discouraging but the good moments outweigh the recent bad ones.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop won't record chase.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seattle SuperSpurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is not retiring before getting that record. Don Nelson was quoted saying he is sure that Pop will stay to break his record for wins.
    Too lazy to look it up and I don't know how to embed it. It's out there.

I can't tell if the team is imploding, though. Players have seemingly lost the plot. Such crappy basketball. At this rate it will take forever to get the requisite wins for the record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop won't record chase.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he’s gone too. He doesn’t give a damn about the record. He’ll retire, hand the keys over to Becky, and slide right into an upper-management level position in the Front Office.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the front office begging him to coach the last two years only for them to miss the playoffs in both seasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is not retiring before getting that record. Don Nelson was quoted saying he is sure that Pop will stay to break his record for wins.
    Too lazy to look it up and I don't know how to embed it. It's out there.
    Don says he hopes Popped gets it but i don't see anywhere that he thinks Popped WILL stay for sure to get the record. IMO the asshat most certainly will stay another season, team failure be damned.

Also, Don smokes weed now. Looking so much happier then ever.
    See article on NBA Forum.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will thank Pop for being a father figure for Duncan because it played a huge role in keeping him in the summer of '00. That was Pop's biggest contribution but outside of that he's pretty much useless without Duncan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 5 years when he actually is gone/dead and the Spurs are still sludging around because tanking is stupid and the Owners are bent over by the stars so much that it's really hurting the product, the same people who have been wishing for his demise for over a decade will be crying and wishing he was back.

Typical ST garbage thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop isnt going anywhere. Expect a Defrozen max and mills at $15 million per..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will thank Pop for being a father figure for Duncan because it played a huge role in keeping him in the summer of '00. That was Pop's biggest contribution but outside of that he's pretty much useless without Duncan.
    The rumor the past 2 decades, that has been confirmed by several sources, is Doc Rivers being the reason Duncan stayed. Duncan was all but gone.. And no one ever wants to discuss why Duncan wanted out of San antonio. I still don't know.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Pop coaches the Spurs one more season. He breaks the record on wins (though I don't think he really cares about it). He hopefully gets a lottery pick that's a difference maker. But I think he wants to leave the team in a good place where it is a playoff team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's here next year. What else is he going to do? Walk along the beach in his flip-flops with black socks, looking for treasures with his metal detector?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The rumor the past 2 decades, that has been confirmed by several sources, is Doc Rivers being the reason Duncan stayed. Duncan was all but gone.. And no one ever wants to discuss why Duncan wanted out of San antonio. I still don't know.
    Doc left the Spurs in 1996... Duncan came in 1997....

Doc was coaching Orlando when they recruited Duncan in FA an we know the rest of that story...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The rumor is also that he gave Pop the last meeting and that Pop convinced him to stay with the help of David Robinson. And also that Duncan said that staying was the best decision and that it worked out great. I can see why he wanted to go to Orlando. It's not just Doc Rivers. It's living in a city that has Disney World, etc. if you like that kind of thing, it is a closer plane flight home to the Island, and they had a talented team in theory with Grant Hill, T Mac, and Duncan. If that team united, and Grant Hill was healthy, they would have been dominant and won many les. Duncan did not know then that Grant Hill would barely play again and never as a superstar. Yet he still passed up the chance to play with them under a favorable scenario to him. Plus, he probably also liked being near the ocean given where he grew up.

If anyone has a gripe against the Spurs organization, it is David Robinson, who they almost didn't re-sign late in his career because they were trying to get Chris Webber. If they had gotten Chris Webber, they wouldn't have signed David Robinson and he wouldn't have won the second le. If anyone had a reason to be upset it was him, but you can see he is a bigger man and doesn't hold grudges. Really an exemplary dude.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have heard Doc told Duncan that he couldn't bring family on road trips on the team plane but Pop said Duncan could. Supposedly that was the tie breaker. The reason I heard Duncan wanted to leave SA was because he didn't believe David Robinson was going to be around for that much longer and thought once Robinson was gone that he would have no help to win a le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 5 years when he actually is gone/dead and the Spurs are still sludging around because tanking is stupid and the Owners are bent over by the stars so much that it's really hurting the product, the same people who have been wishing for his demise for over a decade will be crying and wishing he was back.

Typical ST garbage thread.
    I mean the thread IS a thank you thread. I didn’t have any trolling as the OP. I can’t help it if others don’t feel the same as me. I’m a little hurt tbh. But Pop played a a big part of my fandom and it’s very sad to see him lose a team. It’s like Landry’s last year as a Cowboy, if you are old enough to remember, but that team quit on him just the same way this team has quit on Pop. Landry was fired. I think Pop does the dignified thing and retires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One can only hope, see ya later old timer!

Thread Information