My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it seems more reasonable to say, if the CDC's internal docs accurately reflect the facts, is that because people with breakthrough infections have similar ers as unvaccinated people, similar rates of transmission may be expected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this may have spooked the CDC

As of Thursday, 882 people were tied to the Provincetown outbreak. Among those living in Massachusetts, 74% of them were fully immunized, yet officials said the vast majority were also reporting symptoms. Seven people were reported hospitalized.
    When a vaccinated person gets infected with delta -- called a "breakthrough infection" -- "the level of virus in their nasopharynx is about 1,000 times higher than with the alpha variant," Fauci said in an interview Wednesday with MSNBC.
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cdc-...ry?id=79148102

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If The virus can be transmitted by vaccinated individuals just as easy as unvaccinated we are in deep and the symptoms are significant in both groups we are in big trouble.

The antivac population was big enough and timed properly. Either the virus has significantly changed in delta or people are just getting giant doses now as opposed to earlier where the vaccines were clearly working. Or a combination of both.

not good If some of this internal “might be” turns out to be accurate
    We could be ed. Not to even mention that as of right now (according to what I've read), we can transmit the virus to animals (pets specifically), but the risk is low that they transmit to humans.
    But if that's wrong, or that virus continues to mutate and becomes easily transmissible between species, then that's a major problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could be ed. Not to even mention that as of right now (according to what I've read), we can transmit the virus to animals (pets specifically), but the risk is low that they transmit to humans.
    But if that's wrong, or that virus continues to mutate and becomes easily transmissible between species, then that's a major problem.
    related:

https://www.thecity.nyc/2021/7/29/22...ssible-dog-rat
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....26.21261142v1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    related:

https://www.thecity.nyc/2021/7/29/22...ssible-dog-rat
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....26.21261142v1

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CDC needs to show its work; it smacks of propaganda not to release the data publicly so experts can evaluate it.

It should also be be stressed that vaccination still does a great job of preventing infection, 80-90%+ efficacy for mRNA vaccines. Therefore, it is misleading to say, as many media outlets have, that the vaccinated spread COVID "just as easily." If vaccine efficacy is as good as advertised, the ratio of the vaccinated spreading COVID will be much smaller than the ratio of unvaccinated folks passing it on.
    And worse, if some of this new "might be" is true, populations centers with a large % vaccinated will still be spared if the stats of having to go to the hospital if vaccinated stays really low. The one so called breakthrough case I am directly familiar with is a 25 yo that had mild cold symptoms but she really tried hard to get the virus by the situations she put herself in. (she tried really really hard by "enclosing" herself in a room and limo with 2 girls with symptoms for 2 days; bachelorette event) I dont even do that with my wife. Separate jobs, separate timing of running our daily lives. Lets hope getting an infection through a large viral load at once or a number of times is still mitigated in that your immune system is primed enough to prevent really bad symptoms. I am seeing numbers like 1000X the load in people infected with delta. So it may be just pure numbers of viral particles along with efficiency in binding to cells in your body once in. Apparently delta has 3 major separate mutations that might be bad. One is not even on the e protein.

Older people that are vaccinated.... hope they hold up well enough not to cause a run on health care facilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the unusually widespread virus scenario you get vaccinated knowing you will get infected but will mitigate symptoms. Thats the hope. We still have weapons in our arsenal. But if people want to help create new mutations if we find a vaccine that works through a very different mechanism, they certainly keep up the antivac stuff. We also need to make sure other countries get this vaccine if it is needed. But nonetheless, merely being in a region with a high % of vaccinated people is definitely an advantage. We all need to move to Vermont. 84% vaccinated 12 yo and up.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the first link:

"In November, Denmark culled 17 million minks after the virus jumped from a human handler to the minks, then back to humans. In Michigan, a taxidermist became infected with coronavirus and, after his test results were sent to a lab, it was determined that there was a mutation in his sample that came from an infected mink."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the first link:

"In November, Denmark culled 17 million minks after the virus jumped from a human handler to the minks, then back to humans. In Michigan, a taxidermist became infected with coronavirus and, after his test results were sent to a lab, it was determined that there was a mutation in his sample that came from an infected mink."
    Fortunately this does not appear to be a major mechanism of transmission.
    Although the jumping back and forth between species is never good when we are trying to create an appropriate vaccine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fortunately this does not appear to be a major mechanism of transmission.
    Although the jumping back and forth between species is never good when we are trying to create an appropriate vaccine.
    Sure. It's just troubling that this could be coming. We may always be playing catch up.

And I expect that Big Pharma will continue to push the current vaccines instead of spending the time and $ to get ahead of it. For as long as possible anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dr Ding Dong yes but it makes sense. Explains why so many "rare breakthroughs"

I think CDCs 180 has more to do with saving face.and preventing total collapse of.their "vaccines will end this pandemic" imaginary fantasy than actually doing anything

If all of a sudden tens of.thousands of fully vaxxed guinea pig americans start getting the sniffles they will be like WTF.

CDC making a move to say. Yeah we expected this

stupid monkeys

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    my folks were set to visit us this weekend to visit spurraider jr... just cancelled their flights because my dad tested positive last second
    That sucks. We're flying out of the country on Wednesday so crossing fingers for negative tests. We've been in 2020 mode the past week just for precaution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure. It's just troubling that this could be coming. We may always be playing catch up.

And I expect that Big Pharma will continue to push the current vaccines instead of spending the time and $ to get ahead of it. For as long as possible anyway.
    Well we are with the flu currently.
    Fortunately, getting the vaccine, even a fairly "bad" vaccine still can keep you out of the hospital and just a day or two of feeling bad. It may come down to this.

Imo this virus just does not have the multiple "tricks" the flu has. The flu crazy deceptive molecularly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They all knew from day 1. They just decided to still push it as the magic bullet.

Posted Sept 2020

interesting emphasis

I actually agree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sucks. We're flying out of the country on Wednesday so crossing fingers for negative tests. We've been in 2020 mode the past week just for precaution.
    I guess you are aware you got to test negative to get back in the US?
    This is one of the things that kept my group going to Canada to kayak in Sept. We cancelled.
    If one of us tested positive and could not get back for work...
    Have you looked into this?
    And I know its still a very fluid situation with plans into Canada anyway. They finally said they were open to travelers on Aug 8 but they could easily nix it.

, maybe you want to stay wherever, it might be safer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My big bank clients now saying back to office in Sept in doubt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, that sucks.

I have a friend in Colorado who got exposed. His only symptoms were chills, which resolved overnight.

Fully vaxxed (Moderna). 60+ white male. No comorbidities.
    Thanks for confirming your friend is white.

kidding aside, my dad is 60s. He’s fat but no diagnostic conditions. He did have some mild symptoms like coughing which prompted him to get tested. He started getting some headache and chills late last night too. He got J&J

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for confirming your friend is white.

kidding aside, my dad is 60s. He’s fat but no diagnostic conditions. He did have some mild symptoms like coughing which prompted him to get tested. He started getting some headache and chills late last night too. He got J&J

I also pointed out his gender.

Is he feeling better today?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all the fuss over Israel efficacy data, look at their daily deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/israel/

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I guess you are aware you got to test negative to get back in the US?
    This is one of the things that kept my group going to Canada to kayak in Sept. We cancelled.
    If one of us tested positive and could not get back for work...
    Have you looked into this?
    And I know its still a very fluid situation with plans into Canada anyway. They finally said they were open to travelers on Aug 8 but they could easily nix it.

, maybe you want to stay wherever, it might be safer.
    We have to test negative for both flights. I wouldn't mind testing positive before coming back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn. This just wins the internet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Troubling....
    I guess the upside is that it may lead to more effective treatment for Alzheimer's.

Research looks for possible COVID tie to later Alzheimer’s

https://apnews.com/article/science-health-coronavirus-pandemic-d8fbdcb7fd099e2416d0b15d99bc564c

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Posted November 2020

Not necessarily. The more mild a virus is the more successful it is but that doesn't mean all mutations become more mild.

Things get more risky as the virus travels through different species. Imagine human>ferret>dog>cat>raccoon>coyote>dog>cat>human, who knows wtf that result is. That's why scientists are concerned about wild animal populations getting infected.

Snakeboi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    posted January 2021

Called it for months

There will not be a true vaccine

Covid is here to stay. We can hope on better therapeutics and mutations to less lethal versions

A human coronavirus evolves antigenically to escape antibody immunity
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1....423313v1.full

This might change everything. Turns out everybody just assumed reinfection by common cold HCoV's was due to waning immunity over time and never bothered to check if they were escaping immunity. This study shows we retain immunity to H229E long term but it mutates just like influenza albeit more slowly. With the amount of infection present in the world I won't be surprised at all if we select for vaccine resistance, especially since we are going to play fast and loose with the dosing.

Will vaccines stop the new coronavirus strains? Here's what scientists say.
    https://www.advisory.com/daily-brief...irus-mutations

tldr vaccines will continue to work on Covid-19. Covid-21/22 not so much. Biden will get a do-over.

We still will probably have to adjust our lifestyle permanently, and hopefully have instant tests or even a thermometer type test that can detect virus. That way we can still congregate.

Also once we reach age of 65 might even have to be more careful.

Its nature. Some people will live, some will die. It is what it is I guess

These 2 nigas called it

Called the .out of.the whole thing

Props

Thread Information