Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you buy a car, you do so knowing that it may break down in an inconvenient place.
    Well the law doesn't, and shouldn't, protect you from inconvenience. It does, and should, protect you from racial and sexual discrimination.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so your analogy is really much of one then. cool.
    Dumb , I didn't give you an analogy, dumb .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the law doesn't, and shouldn't, protect you from inconvenience. It does, and should, protect you from racial and sexual discrimination.
    It also protects people from religious discrimination as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

http://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/opinion_of_judge_leon_m_bazile_january_22_1965
    Interesting, thanks, but not exactly what I was going for.

What's quoted is a judge's religious spin on his justification for anti-miscegenation laws. I was asking for evidence of a more widespread/cultural resistance to miscegenation on religious grounds (i.e., what we had with the anti-gay marriage debate).

I think the debates are different simply because there is scripture that directly addresses sexuality -- that textual basis, in itself, makes the assertion of religious opposition qualitatively different

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dumb , I didn't give you an analogy, dumb .
    Heavy flow day?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It also protects people from religious discrimination as well.
    This isn't an example of religious discrimination. What is this baker being asked to do that other bakers (or business owners) don't have to do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, who judges intent and what is to keep them from suing me claiming it was for racial discrimination?
    Nothing but they need to have evidence of racial discrimination.

This baker openly admitted to discriminating because of his religious beliefs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting, thanks, but not exactly what I was going for.

What's quoted is a judge's religious spin on his justification for anti-miscegenation laws. I was asking for evidence of a more widespread/cultural resistance to miscegenation on religious grounds (i.e., what we had with the anti-gay marriage debate).

I think the debates are different simply because there is scripture that directly addresses sexuality -- that textual basis, in itself, makes the assertion of religious opposition qualitatively different
    There are scriptures that ban interracial marriage. There are scriptures that command the genocide of entire races.

I don't have evidence of "widespread cultural resistance"... I'm sure it's out there. But it was 1967, so it sort of goes without saying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the thing is, Christian New Testament scripture doesn't say anything about doing business with sexuals. Frankly I have a hard time believing anyone who has really studied the teachings of Jesus Christ would believe he would have refused to do carpentry work for a gay couple.

Christians like this baker have cherry-picked scripture to fit their biases. My guess is he'd have no problem baking a cake for a man and woman who were each on their fourth marriage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heavy flow day?
    oh calling me a woman now because I called you a dumb . Your question was dumb per par, dumb . That's why I'm calling you a dumb , dumb .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't an example of religious discrimination. What is this baker being asked to do that other bakers (or business owners) don't have to do?
    I don't know and really don't care. In reality, there aren't a lot of businesses that turn down paying customers. Here we have a dumbass baker and a pair overly dramatic gays. I'm sure each side thinks they're about to go down in history like Brown v. Board of Education. But it's a ing cake. And they don't live in backwoods East Texas in a town with one bakery. I don't think he should be forced to make them a cake. He said it's against his religion. And it's not some spurs of the moment thing he made up. But if the law says he has to, then he needs to go ahead and get baking. It's all too ridiculous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well yeah it's ridiculous. Stuff like this only makes the news because SJW's and RJW's share it a million times on Facebook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh calling me a woman now because I called you a dumb . Your question was dumb per par, dumb . That's why I'm calling you a dumb , dumb .
    Congratulations on recognizing the insult and saying dumb . You're a testament to neckbeards everywhere

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the thing is, Christian New Testament scripture doesn't say anything about doing business with sexuals. Frankly I have a hard time believing anyone who has really studied the teachings of Jesus Christ would believe he would have refused to do carpentry work for a gay couple.

Christians like this baker have cherry-picked scripture to fit their biases. My guess is he'd have no problem baking a cake for a man and woman who were each on their fourth marriage.
    Agreed, but what you're proposing -- evaluating the consistency/integrity of one's religious beliefs -- is not something that the law even considers touching.

Again, this is a stupid scenario because the guy got on a soap box and resisted baking a cake on religious grounds. That's idiotic.

The law also is idiotic because it can't stop people who simply tell the s "no, I can't bake you a cake."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, but what you're proposing -- evaluating the consistency/integrity of one's religious beliefs -- is not something that the law even considers touching.
    Nor should it... I'm not proposing that at all. Banning discrimination based on sexual orientation isn't a gray area. Religion doesn't enter into it in the law's eyes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well yeah it's ridiculous. Stuff like this only makes the news because SJW's and RJW's share it a million times on Facebook.
    what's SJW/RJW?

NM. Got it. Agreed. Too many people looking for something to get upset about. It's permeating every single aspect of our lives. Instead of enjoying the little things in life, everyone's made a hobby of getting worked up about any little perceived injustice. Even cutting at a 4 way stop.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Why would a gay couple want a cake from someone that thinks they're gross and weird? I wouldn't be surprised if the baker put pubes in the cakes. This is like going to a Jewish deli and demand that they put bacon on a sandwich. Seriously, what are you expecting to happen? Are you so bent on getting your way that you are willing to be a about it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would a gay couple want a cake from someone that thinks they're gross and weird? I wouldn't be surprised if the baker put pubes in the cakes. This is like going to a Jewish deli and demand that they put bacon on a sandwich. Seriously, what are you expecting to happen? Are you so bent on getting your way that you are willing to be a about it?
    I already said all of this. It's like giving your waiter before she brings you food. But the baker should have just made the cake. Like Rodney King said, "Cant' we alls jus gets alongs?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congratulations on recognizing the insult and saying dumb . You're a testament to neckbeards everywhere
    Ok dumb .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is like going to a Jewish deli and demand that they put bacon on a sandwich.
    It's not like that at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not like that at all.
    You are demanding he do something against his religious convictions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More like going to a Jewish deli and asking for a pastrami sandwich, and getting refused for being gentile.

As a baker myself, all this dumbass had to do was give an absurd price or simply state he was overbooked for that date, instead he had to be a drama queen

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bible humping Christian supremacists want to impose their morals, ethics on everybody else, eg, commercial customers.

"If you don't comply with my morals, I won't sell to you."

If Bible humpers were to win this case, they would ratchet up the Bible morals in other non-Chrisitan spheres.

I wonder at what price a Bible humpers would cave?

Say it was gay organization looking to buy a $5M catering deal? Would a Bible humping baker turn down $5M?

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should compromise and make cupcakes instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are demanding he do something against his religious convictions.
    which would be demanding he give you something he generally doesn't have at all, genius.

Thread Information