Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprised there's not a thread on this. The FDA advisory committee gave the Alzheimer's drug a pretty strong thumbs down but it gets approved anyway.
    No significant benefits with potential fatal side effects.

Yet Biogen is going to charge $56,000 per year. Estimate cost to Medicare is over $57 billion.

It's criminal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/10/biog...ort-finds.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a done deal yet. It still has to go through phase 4 trial to actually prove clinical benefit. Proving it reduces the growth of plaque doesn't prove it actually benefits symptoms.

One really ed up way that Medicare works, however is that it pays doctors 6% of the drug cost to prescribe it. That means they pay doctors $3,360 per year to prescribe it on top of the $56,000 cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why Medicare needs to be empowered to negotiate drug prices, seeing they're by and large the largest customer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why Medicare needs to be empowered to negotiate drug prices, seeing they're by and large the largest customer.
    but thats communist

and also fascist at the same time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but thats communist

and also fascist at the same time
    Good ole American exceptionalism at work... lining up the pockets of the rich and powerful... in before CC's 'envy' post...

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Good ole American exceptionalism at work... lining up the pockets of the rich and powerful... in before CC's 'envy' post...
    Those lazy ass dementia patients need to just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and come up with the $50k needed for that experimental dementia treatment!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those lazy ass dementia patients need to just pull themselves up by their bootstraps and come up with the $50k needed for that experimental dementia treatment!
    Welfare queens!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welfare queens!
    Thread is an expert on this subject

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Thread is an expert on this subject
    He offered it, 21. Then lied like a cheap rug from the Wal-Mart. Twixt me and the wife I'm out $1200. I'm grudgin' it, ever more.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dale def needs this aduhelm asap.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bad move.
    Since 2006 there have been a number of drugs that have shown degradation of plaque and none showed improvement in symptoms. But there are some people who have seen significant improvement in symptoms as always in these types of drugs that get pushed. There is a really hard push on this one because the US has a large population of old people. People flat out live longer and this disease is mostly age related.

And there are doctors who do NOT want to prescribe it (giving false hope) but what can they say now... lets give er a go for ~50K

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how much is too much to pay for a marginally effective Alzheimer's drug with serious side effects?

Before and after approval, there was speculation that this “potentially zillion-dollar moneymaker” (as Sharon Begley called itin October 2019) might bethe most lucrative drug ever. Last November it was notedthat if it brought in even a fraction of potential patients, it could still realistically be a $60 billion/year drug, changing Biogen’s revenue picture dramatically.

Taking a high-side estimate of $110 billion/year, Nicholas Bagley and Rachel Sachs speculated in The Atlantic that Aduhelm could be the drug that breaks Medicare, given that that cost exceeds total current Part D medication expenses of $90 billion dollars.

Even at a much lower total, Aduhelm’s costs would still balloon Medicare costs and would exceed the total NASA budget of $23 billion. Regardless of the exact total, the hit to Medicare would be big.
    https://hcrenewal.blogspot.com/2021/...ducanumab.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    from Scientific American in 2016

one might well wonder how commonly journalists trade their integrity for access

It was a faustian bargain—and it certainly made editors at National Public Radio squirm. The deal was this: NPR, along with a select group of media outlets, would get a briefing about an upcoming announcement by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration a day before anyone else. But in exchange for the scoop, NPR would have to abandon its reportorial independence. The FDA would dictate whom NPR’s reporter could and couldn’t interview….. NPR took the deal. “I’ll be at the briefing,” [NPR reporter Rob Stein] wrote… Later that day in April 2014, Stein—along with reporters from more than a dozen other top-tier media organizations, including CBS, NBC, CNN, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times—showed up at a federal building to get his reward. Every single journalist present had agreed not to ask any questions of sources not approved by the government until given the go-ahead.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-fda-manipulates-the-media/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how much is too much to pay for a marginally effective Alzheimer's drug with serious side effects?

https://hcrenewal.blogspot.com/2021/...ducanumab.html
    Oregon balks

Oregon is gearing up to ask the Biden administration if its Medicaid program can avoid paying for drugs approved through a fast-track approval pathway — like Biogen’s pricey, controversial new Alzheimer’s drug

https://www.statnews.com/2021/12/14/...m-in-medicaid/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charging too much for marginally effective medicine with strong side effects can apparently backfire.

Biogen Slashes Price of Alzheimer’s Drug Aduhelm, as It Faces Obstacles

A group of Alzheimer’s experts and health advocates called on the F.D.A. to withdraw its approval of the drug, the latest of several setbacks for the treatment.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/20/h...elm-price.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangentially related:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2786295

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangentially related:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2786295
    Imo, that's not tangentially related. It's the crux of the situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a done deal yet. It still has to go through phase 4 trial to actually prove clinical benefit. Proving it reduces the growth of plaque doesn't prove it actually benefits symptoms.

One really ed up way that Medicare works, however is that it pays doctors 6% of the drug cost to prescribe it. That means they pay doctors $3,360 per year to prescribe it on top of the $56,000 cost.
    Dubya rule. Obama said he'd change it but folded like a cheap suit. Trump got rid of that rule. Biden brought it back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bernie

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody cares what Bernie the cuck says

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden Administration helpless to do anything this year for Alzheimer's patients seeking a marginally effective, grotesquely expensive drug with strong side effects. Really looking puny right now.

The Biden administration on Friday said it will not lower Medicare premiums for adults 65 and over this year, even though their costs ed based on inflated financial projections for the beleaguered Alzheimer’s drug, Aduhelm.

Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra in January publicly announced he was ordering Medicare to consider dropping older adults’ premiums in the middle of this year, which would have been an unprecedented move. But the administration decided against a change due to “legal and operational hurdles,” the department said Friday afternoon.

The overpayments will instead be factored into next year’s premiums.
    https://www.statnews.com/2022/05/27/...emiums-aduhelm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just pitiful

The timeline of Biden’s Medicare moves, then, is this:

• In June 2021, Biden’s FDA approved the drug Aduhelm for treatment of Alzheimer’s, despite controversy involving alleged scientific disputes inside the agency over the drug’s efficacy and industry pressure on the internal review process.
    • In November 2021, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), which administers and oversees Medicare, approved the historic 14.5 percent premium increase for all Medicare beneficiaries. The announcement noted that among other reasons, the hike “reflects the need to maintain a contingency reserve for unanticipated increases in health care spending, particularly certain drug costs,” and specifically mentioned covering Aduhelm.
    • A few days later, in response to questions from CNN, CMS revealed that the projected cost of Aduhelm was alone responsible for half of the premium increase.
    • The resulting outcry led Aduhelm’s manufacturer, Biogen, to halve the drug’s price the following month.
    • In January 2022, Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra called on CMS to reassess those premium hikes this year.
    • In April 2022, Medicare ins uted strict rules regarding who could receive the Aduhelm under its plans — but kept the higher premiums in place.
    • Around this same time, CMS announced a massive 8.5 percent increase in the rates paid to for-profit Medicare Advantage plans — despite the official body overseeing Medicare payments, the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, concluding that Medicare Advantage is more costly than traditional Medicare.
    • On May 27, the Biden administration announced that despite the extraordinary premium hikes that stemmed from inaccurate price assumptions, they would not be lowering the monthly premium deducted from social security checks, instead saying any overcharges will be factored into next year’s Medicare premium calculations.
    https://www.levernews.com/biden-hike...vate-insurers/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "nothing we can do"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC with no take

Thread Information