Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I just completed an ordinarily 21 hour drive, from West Michigan to San Antonio, in 17.5 hours.

The only exception: construction when workers are physically present and there are mass cones, lane closures, etc. But if no workers are present then the cops can't enforce any work zone speed limit, it's a poorly kept secret but fact.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I love that drive, tbh.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I just completed an ordinarily 21 hour drive, from West Michigan to San Antonio, in 17.5 hours.

The only exception: construction when workers are physically present and there are mass cones, lane closures, etc. But if no workers are present then the cops can't enforce any work zone speed limit, it's a poorly kept secret but fact.
    Go 75mph up/down 281 between loop 410 and 1604 with cops present and let me know how that goes for you

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Go 75mph up/down 281 between loop 410 and 1604 with cops present and let me know how that goes for you
    281 (i.e., US-281) isn't an interstate you smar .

I cruise on I-410 and I-35 75mph night or day and no problem as long as I'm going the speed of traffic and not weaving like an asshole.

But in order to cruise 75 mph and not get pulled over the road you're driving on has to have a blue and red painted sign. White and black (the legacy US Route and state level roads), yeah forget about it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I've never said you should do that, derp. Why are you calling out to me?

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    I've never said you should do that. Why are you calling out to me?
    You don't wear your face diaper in your car?

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I love that drive, tbh.
    Nah. Not once you realize how ing long Illinois is when you have to drive the height of the state and they have some of the highest gas prices in the USA not on the west coast. Even with my brand new hybrid with a new oil change, my car barely made it from Hammond, IN (1 mile outside of IL) to the Missouri Bootheel (a few miles south of IL) on one tank of gas, because I didn't want to pay $3+ a gallon in IL. ing Dumbocrats and their high gas taxes.

I ing hate Arkansas. It's that red-headed stepchild state between Texas and Tennessee that nobody wants.

Please remind me next time never to drive through ass Arkansas again. That makes 3 out of 4 times now driving back through that ty state west to Texas that I've hit extremely horrid weather. First time in January 2018 it was a ing blizzard and I almost died in my Corolla even after the snow was over it left behind a trail of ice and going 45 mph my car span around and just stayed off the cliff. Second time was March of last year there was a ing severe thunderstorm, acious wind, rain, and trucks going uber slow. This time around the traffic wasn't so bad but the rain was literally pouring buckets for about 200 miles from east of Little Rock all the way west to near Texarkana, it was an absolute deluge. Yeah the end result was a much-needed free carwash, but at the expense of a traumatic experience hydroplaning trying to go 75-80mph west into those straight line winds, holding my breath passing each truck, and torrential rain because I couldn't afford to lose time.

that state, between their ty weather to the Clintons and Walmart, nothing good has come out of that ty ass state.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    281 (i.e., US-281) isn't an interstate you smar .

I cruise on I-410 and I-35 75mph night or day and no problem as long as I'm going the speed of traffic and not weaving like an asshole.

But in order to cruise 75 mph and not get pulled over the road you're driving on has to have a blue and red painted sign. White and black (the legacy US Route and state level roads), yeah forget about it.
    I have no idea what you're bragging about in this thread then. What area in the country exactly did you get over on the system?

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I have no idea what you're bragging about in this thread then. What area in the country exactly did you get over on the system?
    Illinois and their bum 65-70 mph speed limit. Also driving 75 in West Michigan several times during the week on the I-96 corridor back and forth between Muskegon and Grand Rapids was never a problem, even with the various speed traps (my GPS is about 50% effective at detecting them), going 75 doesn't seem to be a problem on their 70 posted speed limit even literally passing right past those blue Michigan state trooper cars parked in the little police speed-trap inlet lanes to the left of me.

I love Michigan and Indiana's system, they actually have slower truck speeds, enforce no trucks in the left lane except to pass, enforce the lower truck speed limit if they're going way too fast; they pull over trucks as they should, unlike Texas which unfairly favors macho-drug- got truckers and only ever pulls over passenger cars. Texas is definitely a truck-friendly state, which pisses me off as a passenger car driver.

Arkansas, for all the I give them over their bad weather and deer problem (on the I-30 portion west of Little Rock in particular), actually raised their state highway speed limit from 65 to 75 over the past year, which I give them credit for. I cruise 80 and never have to worry because my Camry doesn't fluctuate speed up and down hills the way my Corolla did. I cruise 78 in Texas because of course in-state you're a lot more likely to get a ticket than out-of-state, though I'm not sure they can actually give you a ticket unless you're going 10% over the limit (or 10 MPH over the limit in the cities, though in some bigger cities like Dallas and Chicago it's more like 20 MPH on the major highways).

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I wonder if you can drive even more out west? Since there's far more land and far less people per square mile as opposed to the eastern half of the country that I'm used to.

I've heard of people driving from LA to Vegas and the dry arid uninhabited stretch around 95 MPH. Spurtacular LkrFan California Peeps can testify spurraider21 also what is the speed limit on the Pacific Highway 1/101? I've always wondered

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I wonder if you can drive even more out west? Since there's far more land and far less people per square mile as opposed to the eastern half of the country that I'm used to.

I've heard of people driving from LA to Vegas and the dry arid uninhabited stretch around 95 MPH. Spurtacular LkrFan California Peeps can testify spurraider21 also what is the speed limit on the Pacific Highway 1/101? I've always wondered
    Verdad! Speed limits are mere suggestions unless you're a peasant.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Texas Speed Limits
    The typical maximum speed limit for Texas roads is 70 MPH. However, the Texas Transportation Commission may set a speed limit of 75, 80, or even 85 MPH if a traffic or engineering study finds that a particular road can be safely travelled at those speeds.

https://www.idrivesafely.com/dmv/tex...-speed-limits/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I think far west Texas has the 85mph iirc

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Texas Speed Limits
    The typical maximum speed limit for Texas roads is 70 MPH. However, the Texas Transportation Commission may set a speed limit of 75, 80, or even 85 MPH if a traffic or engineering study finds that a particular road can be safely travelled at those speeds.

https://www.idrivesafely.com/dmv/tex...-speed-limits/
    I don't know how old that is, but the standard state speed limit was raised to 75 a few years back (IIRC, 2015). Thus a Texas State Trooper can only enforce 75, and only actually ticket those outside the MOE of 75 +10%. Of course a city or county sheriff can enforce a lower speed limit posted; counties MOE are +10% of the posted sign and cities MOE is +10 (raw number).

Other states may have their own standards. In Michigan the standard speed limit was raised from 65 to 70 in 2019 under Whitmer. But the MOE is only +5 for state troopers (blue-car Michigan state police). I don't know much about California because I haven't driven there yet. I hope to this year sometime.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I think far west Texas has the 85mph iirc
    Where? I-10 or I-20?

The toll road has an 85 stretch too... but it's a toll road, so I've only been on it once. $13 for two axles (standard car), so kind of not worth it.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    The Panhandle is notorious for pull-overs, especially coming back southwest from NM/OK panhandle (they know you're probably coming back from Colorado, so they're going to check your car for weed). In 2017 one of those county sheriffs in far NW Texas stripped the inside of my Corolla butt-naked all the way down to the doughnut. No weed, of course, but they should have to pay us money for that. It wastes our time for no good reason. ing pigs in blue.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/12...ys-think-again

FACT: The OP is incorrect, and has never driven in certain stretches of interstate highways in certain zero-tolerance western states.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/12...ys-think-again

FACT: The OP is incorrect, and has never driven in certain stretches of interstate highways in certain zero-tolerance western states.
    I have not driven though the West, west of Colorado, you are correct, touché. I have driven in every single US state at or east of the Great Plains, most of which multiple times... with the exception of Florida and Vermont, and Delaware.

If and when I get around to driving through Utah, I'll keep that in mind. But I do agree with no tolerance if the speed limit is 80. What excuse is there to go over 80? You're already getting your way. Of course if it's hilly and it fluctuates to 82-83 on a downhill on cruise control they can't really give you a ticket. But cruising 88 in the plains is pretty ridiculous. And driving 80+ in snow and ice conditions is just asking for trouble, the police is the least of your worries at that point.

I will admit to one thing: last October I cruised 90-95 going through South Dakota on the interstate. It was late evening and there were zero cops down that highway. Also, my phone GPS usually alerts me with "There is a speed trap ahead" if and when there is one. But I never had to slow down in SD. The posted speed sign was 80, fwiw.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I don't know how old that is, but the standard state speed limit was raised to 75 a few years back (IIRC, 2015). Thus a Texas State Trooper can only enforce 75, and only actually ticket those outside the MOE of 75 +10%. Of course a city or county sheriff can enforce a lower speed limit posted; counties MOE are +10% of the posted sign and cities MOE is +10 (raw number).

Other states may have their own standards. In Michigan the standard speed limit was raised from 65 to 70 in 2019 under Whitmer. But the MOE is only +5 for state troopers (blue-car Michigan state police). I don't know much about California because I haven't driven there yet. I hope to this year sometime.
    The point of it was showing 85mph

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have not driven though the West, west of Colorado, you are correct, touché. I have driven in every single US state at or east of the Great Plains, most of which multiple times... with the exception of Florida and Vermont, and Delaware.

If and when I get around to driving through Utah, I'll keep that in mind. But I do agree with no tolerance if the speed limit is 80. What excuse is there to go over 80? You're already getting your way. Of course if it's hilly and it fluctuates to 82-83 on a downhill on cruise control they can't really give you a ticket. But cruising 88 in the plains is pretty ridiculous. And driving 80+ in snow and ice conditions is just asking for trouble, the police is the least of your worries at that point.

I will admit to one thing: last October I cruised 90-95 going through South Dakota on the interstate. It was late evening and there were zero cops down that highway. Also, my phone GPS usually alerts me with "There is a speed trap ahead" if and when there is one. But I never had to slow down in SD. The posted speed sign was 80, fwiw.
    Not just Utah, but stretches of NM and Arizona as well, if memory serves. They clearly post it though.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Not just Utah, but stretches of NM and Arizona as well, if memory serves. They clearly post it though.
    Bottom line is, if it's 80 just go in 80, no real reason to go 90+, it's not safe even in warm weather with minimal traffic. The police have a point there.

The bull is in the Northeastern ty states when they go and try to enforce their stupid draconian 65 MPH state speed limits on the ing interstate. Like, what the ? That's not even enough speed to maximize my fuel economy. That's literally slow as molasses. Mainly a problem with Pennsylvania and New England.

Name
    Luck_The_Fakers
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    OP wrong, per par... I-95 in New Jersey, max 65 MPH, depending on the zone...

https://www.state.nj.us/transportati...peed/rt95.shtm

EDIT:

The bull is in the Northeastern ty states when they go and try to enforce their stupid draconian 65 MPH state speed limits on the ing interstate. Like, what the ? That's not even enough speed to maximize my fuel economy. That's literally slow as molasses. Mainly a problem with Pennsylvania and New England.
    there it is

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    Name
    Allan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    next time (to skip illinois) go through memphis (via evansville) and (if you want to skip arkansas) go through new orleans

Thread Information