My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is European broadband faster and cheaper?
    Our reporting suggests a one-word answer: Government.

Not government spending. The UK's administration hasn't invested a penny in broadband infrastructure, and most of the network in the Netherlands has been built with private capital. (The city government in Amsterdam took a minority stake in the fiber network there, but that's an investment that will pay dividends if the network is profitable -- and the private investors who own the majority share of the system plan to make sure that it will be.)

More...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its fkn simple man, tax payer funded as long the original monopoly is not involve and better compe ion

then again whats the point of having faster speeds, if on the other end of the line they can throttle you, limit what u can access, hosted oversea servers are slow....

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The level of compe ion in some American cities is unreal. I couldn't believe having to pay $50 a month in San Antonio when I was used to getting service as fast for $15 in Los Angeles where there were many more choices than AT&T vs. Time Warner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The level of compe ion in some American cities is unreal. I couldn't believe having to pay $50 a month in San Antonio when I was used to getting service as fast for $15 in Los Angeles where there were many more choices than AT&T vs. Time Warner.
    this is why i hate having a monopoly when the stupid govt didnt do any thinkn b4 selling/privatising its copper wire infrastructure...govt or new compe ion cant get access to certain nodes and or dont have the capacity to rollout such equipment thats already in the ground and working, they must invite back the monopoly to have a share in the new scheme to help rollout the infrastructure faster...pretty much pathetic to me anyway...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 'compe ion' here is Verizon vs Comcast, and no less than $60 for anything respectable, unless you get a bundled phone line, which 'reduces' it to $55 + phone taxes and fees. It's gone up $20 in 5 years... Wish my paycheck would be indexed like that...

Banned
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The 'compe ion' here is Verizon vs Comcast, and no less than $60 for anything respectable, unless you get a bundled phone line, which 'reduces' it to $55 + phone taxes and fees. It's gone up $20 in 5 years... Wish my paycheck would be indexed like that...

Verizon fiber is the fastest residential internet available so you're lucky if you can get that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Verizon fiber is the fastest residential internet available so you're lucky if you can get that
    Yeah, I have fiber coming to the apt. I just don't use the net enough while at home to justify the $70 cost. We have business FIOS at the office though.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    $15 in los angeles? wtf. What company was this? i need to make the switch asap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $15 in los angeles? wtf. What company was this? i need to make the switch asap.
    I was getting it through yahoo. The next tier was like $25, but this was 3 years ago.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I was getting it through yahoo. The next tier was like $25, but this was 3 years ago.
    Oh yeah that's what i had. but it was only good for the first year then it ballooned to something like $38 a month.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh yeah that's what i had. but it was only good for the first year then it ballooned to something like $38 a month.
    Oh, I dropped it before the year was up when I moved into a new apartment that gave me a better deal on broadband service.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all ISPs except for one had customer satisfaction go down last year:

the American Customer Satisfaction Index has released their latest analysis of customer satisfaction with the broadband industry. And what they found isn't pretty. In short, every single major ISP but one saw a decline in customer satisfaction over the last year:

Note that these scores are worse than every other industry the ACSI tracks, including the airline, insurance, and banking sectors. And these scores are even well below consumer satisfaction with many government agencies, including the IRS.
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...-plummet.shtml

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And while things like gigabit broadband get a lot of media hype, we've noted that the lack of compe ion driving this problem is only getting worse. Numerous telcos have all but given up on residential broadband to shift their focus toward video advertising and enterprise services. And as they refuse to upgrade millions of DSL subscribers they don't actually want, cable companies like Comcast and Charter are securing a greater monopoly over broadband than ever before.

Some like to claim new wireless technologies (like 5G) will emerge to magically provide compe ion to these providers. But while 5G wireless will provide faster, lower-latency and more resillient networks, it won't fix the business data service monopoly that drives high prices and many of the compe ion issues in the wireless sector. Nor will it address the industry's plan to keep putting ma bell back together via an endless array of compe ion-reducing megamergers. And however promising 5G is, it's not a subs ute for uncapped, fixed broadband -- especially in more rural areas and less affluent cities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BigInternet pulling the wool over sheeples eyes in the good old USA forcing Human Americans to eat cheap BigAg prepared cancer meals if they want basic communication.

America is ed and un able.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And get ready for the cancerous 5G towers coming to your neighborhood soon. You'll get your fast speeds so you can spend time researching Spinal Facil Blastoma.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And get ready for the cancerous 5G towers coming to your neighborhood soon. You'll get your fast speeds so you can spend time researching Spinal Facil Blastoma.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Compe ion is making for a nice situation in Austin at least. 4x speed increase over the past couple years with no change in pricing or promo rate. Waiting for the other shoe to drop after net neutrality ends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Compe ion is making for a nice situation in Austin at least. 4x speed increase over the past couple years with no change in pricing or promo rate. Waiting for the other shoe to drop after net neutrality ends.
    Sup Chump..

Same here in SA, Spectrum's starting at over 200 Mbps now. Same rate.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sup Chump..

I get ATT giga for $82 including fees/taxes here in Austin. Grande not in my neighborhood but they are cheaper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get ATT giga for $82 including fees/taxes here in Austin. Grande not in my neighborhood but they are cheaper.
    You experience any issues? All I see from AT&T people on the Nextdoor app is complaints about outages, but I'm not sure if it's people on fiber or the old DSL/u-verse stuff

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You experience any issues? All I see from AT&T people on the Nextdoor app is complaints about outages, but I'm not sure if it's people on fiber or the old DSL/u-verse stuff
    Sometimes the routing to my favorite quake champions server is hosed for an evening - pinging 100 instead of 6 to Dallas, but that is about it. No major outages of any sort outside of thunderstorms knocking it off, had it almost a year.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

Come at me !

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Sup Chump..

Cool. Was wondering if the increase got down there too.

Really can't complain at this point. Only have a couple devices that can go that fast over wifi.

Thread Information