Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Giannis doesn't improve definitely his FT % and a little bit his outside shot, Bucks will stop in the ECF again but if he does those things they win it all imo. Bucks would've won it this season if Giannis made more his FTs. Clippers, Rockets and Jazz are all right there as well. We are a tier below the true contenders

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are in Tier 1, tbh.
    Do you really believe in LMA and DDR?
    Spurs have great depth but our stars aren't that good. We have zero top15 players.

I think Tier 2 is correct. We are a team like Denver with good depth but questionable star power.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Giannis doesn't improve definitely his FT % and a little bit his outside shot, Bucks will stop in the ECF again but if he does those things they win it all imo. Bucks would've won it this season if Giannis made more his FTs. Clippers, Rockets and Jazz are all right there as well. We are a tier below the true contenders
    East is a trash can next season. There are basically only 2 teams so ECF are almost guaranteed for the Bucks barring an injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tier 1: Clippers, Bucks
    Tier 2: Celtics, Nuggets, Warriors, Rockets, Pacers, Lakers, 76ers, Blazers, Spurs, Jazz
    Tier 3: Nets, Heat, Raptors
    Tier 4: Hawks, Mavs, Pistons, Grizzlies, Wolves, Pelicans, Thunder, Magic, Suns, Kings, Wizards
    Tier 5: Hornets, Bulls, Cavs, Knicks
    Think GSW is definitely tier 3. No way they'll be able to stop anyone with that back court, they don't really have a starting 3 until Klay comes back in March, their big man depth isn't great either with Dray, Calley-Stein and Looney as the only real bigs they have.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry gonna have to play 40 minutes a game if they'll wanna make the playoffs. With Klay out it won't be easy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have great depth but our stars aren't that good. We have zero top15 players.

I think Tier 2 is correct. We are a team like Denver with good depth but questionable star power.
    I think Aldridge is borderline top 15, he got consideration as an all-NBA player last season and make it the year before that.t Spurs are probably towards the top of tier 2 but not quite tier 1 but not all that far behind tier 1 teams. The Clippers definitely have two better stars, as does the Lakers, but all four come with question marks.

Kawhi- Needed load management to get through last season, playing only 60 games, and was apparently legitimately hurt from during the playoffs. Can he play enough games to get them a top seed can he make it through another 25 game playoff run in a deep west?

PG-13-Historically has had hot starts to seasons they drops off significantly. He's already had two shoulder surgeries or each rotator cuff each of the last two seasons.

Lebron- Has played 1437 games (39 minutes a game) at some point he's going to fall off a cliff production wise.
    AD-Misses 15 games a year and has never had a season plus a full playoff run, can he hold up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now that the dust has mostly settled (I'm going to guess Westbrook gets traded to the Heat) . . .

Tier 1: Clippers, Bucks, 76ers, Lakers, Rockets

Tier 2: Jazz, Nuggets, Trail Blazers, Spurs, Celtics, Raptors, Pacers, Warriors

Tier 3: Nets, Heat, Kings, Pelicans, Hawks, Mavericks, Magic, Pistons, Bulls

Tier 4: Thunder, Timberwolves, Grizzlies, Wizards, Suns, Knicks, Cavaliers, Hornets

I tried to fuse regular season with playoff potential, with more weight given to the latter.

Tier 1: Clippers, Bucks, 76ers, Lakers

Tier 2: Jazz, Nuggets, Trail Blazers, Spurs, Rockets, Celtics, Raptors, Pacers,

Tier 3: Nets, Heat, Kings, Pelicans, Hawks, Mavericks, Magic, Pistons, Warriors, Bulls

Tier 4: Thunder, Grizzlies, Wizards, Suns, Knicks, Cavaliers, Hornets, Timberwolves

Changed Warriors to tier 3 and Rockets to tier 2.

GSW could be pretty bad defensively and meh offensively, if Curry rolls his ankle then they could be done early.

Rockets didn't get better and Paul's continued decline and locker room dynamics between Paul and Harden and Morrey seemingly trying to trade everyone could take their toll.

Otherwise, pretty much agree.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we could potentially be in tier 1 but will depend primarily on the jump that Murray and White make next season. I expect us to be a top 3 defense and there is no team out there that really scares me in the west. None have 3 all time shooters on the floor at one time like the Warriors did so we will be able to compete against any of them. We pretty much know what we are going to get with LMA and DDR although the latter should be better given it's his 2nd year in the Spurs system. You add in Morris and continued growth of Poelt and we got a pretty good team. I also expect Walker to beat out Forbes in the rotation. He's just too talented to leave on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George did not make OKC better when playing with another superstar. All the pressure and expectations are on the Clippers. The current roster that is left excelled when no one expected them to do well. It becomes another game when you are the team everyone is gunning for. Denver also falls into this category. They will be good, but I do not see them making a clear separation from Utah, Portland or even the Spurs.

Houston will make a significant free fall this season and will miss the playoffs. The Warriors will be a borderline playoff team, as well. Just too many missing parts.

The Lakers will be no better than an injured Warrior team. AD is not a guy who can lead you to a ring in today's NBA where his skills sets have been marginalized and James is very likely to get hurt again at his advanced age. James has always excelled because of his athleticism, and that now is in decline.

The Suns will be better than last year. The Thunder will be worse. Kings, Pelicans, Mavericks, and Memphis will show up and play have their moments. Minnesota most likely will under achieve, again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Celtics improved, Bucks got worse. I put the Celtics atop the East. I put Philly at 2, and then Milwaukee fighting it out with Indiana for the 3rd best team. Atlanta may surprise, as might Detroit.....Falling hard is Toronto and Charlotte, IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Clippers amazed everyone because they had a bunch of young players, without superstars, and they excelled at playing together as a team. That dynamic is definitely changed.

The biggest name player they had was Gallinari, and he's gone in the trade. The best young talent they had was G-Alexander, and he's gone in the trade. Those two were responsible for 40 PPG.

You can't call that essentially the same team. They got two big talents, but lost two pretty big talents. And they still have to make the pieces work. The two superstars both require a LOT of touches. Those other guys who were important parts of a team last season are gong to have to be content being afterthoughts. We'll see, but I don't think you can automatically anoint that team as the WCF champs.
    If they just added kl then I agree. But adding pg next to him probably as a sidekick and they’re depth and defense and they’ll be hard t beat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out West, the Rockets get the top seed, but are still not going to taste postseason success. The Spurs will be a top 4 seed if healthy. Denver will be very good. Portland and Utah should be improved. The LA Teams shoud be much better, maybe top 4 seeds. The Mavs, Grizzlies, Kings, and Suns are still trash. It will be hard to gauge the Pelicans and TPups as of right now. The Warriors will be fighting just to make the playoffs minus all the FAs and Klay's injury. OKC is probably about to enter rebuild mode, George leaving really castrated that beast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets and Warriors (even without Durant), still clearly a step above the Spurs, IMO. They just have less margin for an injury now.
    You think a Warriors team without Klay beats this Spurs team? No. They aren't. They will take it on the chin this year. At least until Klay comes back.

You think a Rockets team facing our defensive guard capability beats this spurs team? We can send wave after wave after Harden and make him beat you from deep. He cannot do that 4 times in a 7 game series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure about the Bucks running away with the east though. They lost a key player in Brogden and the Greek Freak got exposed. The guy can’t shoot and he will wear out in the POs due to his style of play. I think the Sixers would whoop that ass. Philly losing Butler is actually addition by subtraction. Although talented, the guy never actually does anything for you. He’s got the mentality that it’s all about him and puts himself on an island. Good riddance in my opinion.

GS today is definitely no where on the same planet as they were with KD. They are just another team now looking up at the top. Rockets shouldn’t scare anyone either.

Tier 1 to me are Clips, Sixers, Bucks, Utah and Portland. I think Whiteside will be huge for the Blazers plus upgraded their roster overall.

Spurs look like like they can do something but it boils down to the same for me. Pops shoddy coaching that’s become way too common and our stars that are weaker in the playoffs. Who’s gonna step up? Spurs are at the end of tier 2 or in tier 3.
    Last edited by paperboy77; 07-07-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Left off a comment

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Aldridge is borderline top 15, he got consideration as an all-NBA player last season and make it the year before that.t Spurs are probably towards the top of tier 2 but not quite tier 1 but not all that far behind tier 1 teams. The Clippers definitely have two better stars, as does the Lakers, but all four come with question marks.

Kawhi- Needed load management to get through last season, playing only 60 games, and was apparently legitimately hurt from during the playoffs. Can he play enough games to get them a top seed can he make it through another 25 game playoff run in a deep west?

PG-13-Historically has had hot starts to seasons they drops off significantly. He's already had two shoulder surgeries or each rotator cuff each of the last two seasons.

Lebron- Has played 1437 games (39 minutes a game) at some point he's going to fall off a cliff production wise.
    AD-Misses 15 games a year and has never had a season plus a full playoff run, can he hold up?
    All fair.
    I’m just really down on DDR. I think players like Harden are in another galaxy. And it’s almost impossible to win it all when DeMar is your go-to guy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if nephew starts limping on and off the plane like he did with the spurs are the clippers still tier 1?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if nephew starts limping on and off the plane like he did with the spurs are the clippers still tier 1?
    Depends on if they're winning games. "Limps taken on a boarding ramp" is not an NBA statistic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out West, the Rockets get the top seed, ...
    It's going to be hard for the Rockets. Past their top 6 or 7 they're as thin as a coat of gold paint on a brick.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers being highly overrated in this thread.

Yes, Lebron and Davis are a great duo...but they pretty much have scraps outside of that. It's basically the 2017 Pelicans with Lebron and a broken Boogie.

The West is deeper and scarier than ever this year. Lebron will coast in the regular season per par, Green will have his annual quarter-season slump, and they are one injury away from missing the playoffs again imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Did the Spurs' star power compare to OKC or the Heatles in 2014? Did we have any Top 15 players then?

Spurs will never be the best on paper but paper doesn't account for the Spurs system and Pop's greatness. LMA and DD aren't as good as other duos around the league, but none of the other duos have the quality that LMA and DD have behind them at 3-10.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did the Spurs' star power compare to OKC or the Heatles in 2014? Did we have any Top 15 players then?

Spurs will never be the best on paper but paper doesn't account for the Spurs system and Pop's greatness. LMA and DD aren't as good as other duos around the league, but none of the other duos have the quality that LMA and DD have behind them at 3-10.
    I think in 2014 we had a much better ratio of our top talent relatively to the league top talent. And for sure we had winning players with winning mentality and winning experience.
    I'm a Pop and Spurs system guy all the way but again it's not Pop who will be closing games on the floor. I just don't see the team winning it all with DeMar as a top 2 player. He is a nice person but a flawed player which folds under pressure.

I like our additions this midseason and I'm happy Pop will have a compe ive roster for maybe his last year. But I don't see us as contenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is it "unimaginable"?
    Because superstars are clearly identifiable when they are about 20 y.o.

They'll be elite players, very good players. They are not superstars. I might have forgotten some but in the last 10 years do you remember any superstar becoming such at, say, 25 while before being just good or very good? I don't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only Clippers and Bucks are Tier 1 tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are Tier 1 if they make their inefficient midrange jumpers, Tier 3 and below if they bricking everything

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think GSW is definitely tier 3. No way they'll be able to stop anyone with that back court, they don't really have a starting 3 until Klay comes back in March, their big man depth isn't great either with Dray, Calley-Stein and Looney as the only real bigs they have.
    My GS assumption is that Klay is healthy by February..if he doesn't return, then ya, they're certainly far worse..

Curry/Klay/Draymond + a great system is still great, nothing has changed..losing an ancient Iguodala doesn't make much of a difference IMO..

Thread Information