Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hm and you dont think the reason teams are more perimeter based could possibly have anything to do with an improvement in skill level of players over the past 20-30 years? its just entirely 100% due to rules, and nothing else?

if we want to just chalk modern nba up to players being "soft", and "favorable rule changes", then maybe we should knock 80s and 90s players for lack of intelligence. i can't help but wonder how many FTs 80s and 90s players could have averaged if they simply did the "swing through" on players who were so crappy at defense that they had to resort to handchecking. unfortunately they werent as smart as todays nba to see the flaw in that style of defense, and exploit it for some easy points.

yesterdays nba
    league of re s
    too stupid to learn the game of basketball and its rules
    thinking skill = charging on offense and holding on defense
    thinking mental strength = flagrantly fouling people because you got embarrased for failing miserably at your job of playing basketball
    Swing through a wouldn’t have been called unless you are Jordan and he did plenty of those types of things. In fact hand checking was outlawed in today’s nba. Player also shoot less threes because a) it was highly discouraged and b) perimeter defense wouldn’t allow it.

The FT shooting percentage, which is the one shot that is least affected by defense and rules, hasn’t changed much. In fact, there isn’t much of a trend for it. Defensive rules have changed dramatically in the last few years and the shift to perimeter based offence was rather sudden. It would be hard to argue that suddenly, one day, all nba players just got miraculously skilled in shooting over the course of a few years like those 2001 space odyssey apes.

you making fun of previous players for not learning future rules and playing to their advantage and calling been stupid.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    . Player also shoot less threes because a) it was highly discouraged and b) perimeter defense wouldn’t allow it.

Those are the key points. I can recall big men getting fined by their coaches for shooting 3's...even if they made them lol.

Today's defenses are so weak that i often feel like I am watching a scrimmage or something and find myself tuning out midgame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those are the key points. I can recall big men getting fined by their coaches for shooting 3's...even if they made them lol.

Today's defenses are so weak that i often feel like I am watching a scrimmage or something and find myself tuning out midgame.
    That is really hard to watch
    It has reached beisbol levels of boring

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Swing through a wouldn’t have been called unless you are Jordan and he did plenty of those types of things.
    Proof?

In fact hand checking was outlawed in today’s nba.
    It was not outlawed in today's NBA. It was actually outlawed back in the 70s, then more enforced in 1995, and more heavily enforced in 2004. But the entire time, the rule only allowed it if it did not impede an opponents progress or momentum, but defensive players were finding loopholes (just like offensive players do with the "swing through") to the point that the league "banned" all hand contact, which is a load of crap because everyone still handchecks and generally doesn't get called for it. Anyone who watches the game can see that, but butthurt people like yourself just can't accept change, and want to blame everything on "the ruleezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz changeddddddd !!!!!!!11!11!1!!1 yesterdays players would average 500 ppg in todays league ZOMG!!!!!!!11!1!"

Truth is, it would be comical the kinds of fouls guys like Harden and KD would draw against hand checking. Oh wait, they already do, because the moment they see someone try to even come close to hand-checking them, they have a counter. Guess that's why guys are now being told to keep their hands off of them. So how exactly would hand checking be an advantage against any modern scorer?

Player also shoot less threes because a) it was highly discouraged and b) perimeter defense wouldn’t allow it.
    The A point is very true, most coaches (aside from Nelly) didn't understand the actual value of the 3 point shot, not just in terms of the points and averages, but also the affect it has on an opposing defense.

The B point is simply garbage. Tell me how exactly hand checking would help defend against a Steph or Harden step-back or pull-up 3? Tell me how exactly a flagrant foul for getting embarrased would help defend against a Steph or Harden step-back or pull-up 3?

The FT shooting percentage, which is the one shot that is least affected by defense and rules, hasn’t changed much. In fact, there isn’t much of a trend for it.
    Um, okay?

Defensive rules have changed dramatically in the last few years and the shift to perimeter based offence was rather sudden. It would be hard to argue that suddenly, one day, all nba players just got miraculously skilled in shooting over the course of a few years like those 2001 space odyssey apes.
    No, not in one day, but over the course of the past 15-20 years, perimeter and shooting skills have improved dramatically, with guys like Reggie Miller, Ray Allen and Dirk showing the effect of a proficient 3 in a scorers arsenal, and guys like Mike, Iverson, Kobe and KG setting trends in perimeter scoring skills.

Now I'm not denying that rule changes have encouraged more perimeter scoring, or that hand checking doesn't have any effect whatsoever. Just it's not the entire reason as people like you make it out to be. Players and coaching have simply evolved more years of history and experience have been learned from. Anyone with a brain can see that if you have proficient deep shooting abilities, it completely opens an offense up, while making a defenses job much more difficult. It's a lot easier to have a defensive gameplan when you aren't worried about your opponents shooting many threes. Not sure why that's so hard to accept or see.

But now, even if you know the three is coming, players are so good at it they can hit them consistently with a hand in their face. Or imagine having to defend a guy like Steph or KD, who is running at you full speed. How would you defend that? Do you play up on them 30 feet out, and risk giving up a wide open layup or dunk, or do you play off and risk them stopping on a dime and hitting a pull up three that they have a history of hitting consistently? How many players like that existed in the 80s and 90s? Few, if any. But now, nearly every team has a guy like that. And they don't even have to be superstars, it can be a role player like Seth Curry doing that to you. With players having developed a different skillset from a young age, it makes defense much more difficult to play.

you making fun of previous players for not learning future rules and playing to their advantage and calling been stupid.
    I'm sorry, what rule was created for todays NBA that says "swing-throughs will now be called a foul, even though they weren't before" ? Oh wait, there was no such rule change, because it always would have been a foul, just most players never thought to try it much.

unintelligent neanderthals playing what we know as 80s and 90s basketball

Funny, that's how I feel when I watch 80s games.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Defense in the 80’s was terrible, how can anybody say it was better than today’s NBA with a straight face? Teams were scoring 120+ pts a night WITHOUT any 3 pt shooting

In the 90’s it was less about solid defense, and more about a league with way less overall talent (imagine Glen Rice being an All-Star in 2019 ), in conjunction with a huge rise in selfish, hero-ball play that slowed the game way down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defense in the 80’s was terrible, how can anybody say it was better than today’s NBA with a straight face? Teams were scoring 120+ pts a night WITHOUT any 3 pt shooting

In the 90’s it was less about solid defense, and more about a league with way less overall talent (imagine Glen Rice being an All-Star in 2019 ), in conjunction with a huge rise in selfish, hero-ball play that slowed the game way down.
    Lol Glen Rice would average 50 with today’s rules
    Open 3sssssssss all night

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Lol steph harden or kd would average 80 with yesterdays rules
    Shortened 3pt line and swingthrough foulsssssssss all night

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Glen Rice exists in today’s NBA, now he goes by the name Jabari Parker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glen Rice exists in today’s NBA, now he goes by the name Jabari Parker
    Jabari is just a glorified Johny Newmann

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young had 47 as the Hawks lost by 10 tonight.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he doesn't really have any help, but in the future will anyone even want to play with him? The guy is the worst defender I ever saw and I dont think he will get better at it. If he was taller you could at least hide him on some players that aint that good, but now when every team has a good/great PG or SG he is looking like out there.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    he doesn't really have any help, but in the future will anyone even want to play with him? The guy is the worst defender I ever saw and I dont think he will get better at it. If he was taller you could at least hide him on some players that aint that good, but now when every team has a good/great PG or SG he is looking like out there.
    There’s already reports of closed door meetings where Trae is ranting to his teammates faces about how bad they suck, and how he needs more help. People on the Hawks are already starting to hate him and his diva behavior.

Meanwhile, Luka is playing with some garbage teammates but finds ways to prop them up, encourage them, and make them better. This trade is looking more like a slam dunk win for Dallas as the Hawks keep imploding

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s already reports of closed door meetings where Trae is ranting to his teammates faces about how bad they suck, and how he needs more help. People on the Hawks are already starting to hate him and his diva behavior.

Meanwhile, Luka is playing with some garbage teammates but finds ways to prop them up, encourage them, and make them better. This trade is looking more like a slam dunk win for Dallas as the Hawks keep imploding
    i am not surprised his teammates dont like the guy. Also, even with that ty roster Atlanta should have had more wins in the east. I dont think Collins will make them that much better when he returns cause Young takes pretty much all the shots.

Comparing him to Luka is just re ed. Even if Young averages 35 he will still be worse than Doncic. It's not even close.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    In fact hand checking was outlawed in today’s nba.
    No, handchecking was outlawed in 1994. Players still did it and got away with it, but that still happens even in today's league.

Handchecking isn't the problem. Players like Frauden, CP0 and Trae who get rewarded for flopping on every possession are the problem. And on the flipside, the league further incentivizes playing refball in the regular season by not giving legitimate foul calls to guys like Kawhi and LeBron who play real basketball.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    No, handchecking was outlawed in 1994. Players still did it and got away with it, but that still happens even in today's league.

Handchecking isn't the problem. Players like Frauden, CP0 and Trae who get rewarded for flopping on every possession are the problem.
    this, tbqhfwiw

the problem isnt nearly as much that the rules favor perimeter play, as opposed to players figuring out the loopholes, and the league not knowing how to fix it

no different then when defensive flopping became a thing starting in the late 80s and early 90s, yet people conveniently want to ignore that crap, and just pin everything that has gone wrong on today's nba, when the trend was started in the very eras they want to defend as being the golden era of perfect basketball where not one single flaw existed, where everyone somehow played both flawless offense and flawless defense, yet teams scored 120ppg despite the fact that barely 10 players in the whole league could consistently hit jumpers longer than 18 feet and elite point guards dribbled the ball up to their ears

great defense
    great offensive skill

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    To be fair, some of it has to do with the game being played at a fast pace, much like today's league. The average pace the last two seasons has been 100 possessions per 48 minutes, and teams are scoring 111 PPG on average. Those stats are basically in line with the '80s NBA that was played at a similar pace.

Still, the fact that teams in the '80s were doing this without anywhere near the level of reliable three-point shooting that today's game has shows how pathetic defenses were back then. Plus you had teams like the '80s Nuggets whose strategy was to not play any defense at all and just try to outscore everybody. Those teams made the playoffs every year and even made it to the conference finals once, while similar teams like this year's Hawks and Wizards are among the worst teams in the entire league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, some of it has to do with the game being played at a fast pace, much like today's league. The average pace the last two seasons has been 100 possessions per 48 minutes, and teams are scoring 111 PPG on average. Those stats are basically in line with the '80s NBA that was played at a similar pace.

Still, the fact that teams in the '80s were doing this without anywhere near the level of reliable three-point shooting that today's game has shows how pathetic defenses were back then. Plus you had teams like the '80s Nuggets whose strategy was to not play any defense at all and just try to outscore everybody. Those teams made the playoffs every year and even made it to the conference finals once, while similar teams like this year's Hawks and Wizards are among the worst teams in the entire league.
    Or maybe players were mote versatile offensively in the 80s rather than the D being bad
    Today’s players should more 3s but they are more 1 dimensional and it’s boring
    Personally I prefer the variety of moves midrange game offered

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Or maybe players were mote versatile offensively in the 80s rather than the D being bad
    Aside from a few players, there was not a variety of mid-range moves. It was largely uncontested 14 foot jumpers bc there was a complete lack of defensive effort by most teams. Let's not revise history here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LeBron James for Monta Ellis and Mario Hezonja is a great deal for Dallas tbh

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    im watching old finals games between the lakers and celtics, and its hilarious how anyone who has the ball at the 3 point line has about 5-7 feet of space because no one feared the three point shot whatsoever

wanna know why there appear to be a lot more open layups in todays nba than yesterdays nba? because people actually fear the 3, resulting in the defense not being able to just sag in the paint all game long. its not because "no one plays defense today!!!!! "

its simply much more difficult to defend today because of how deadly shooters and offensive strategies have become

it may not be as fun to watch for some people. i get that. but just because its not as fun to watch, doesnt mean that players are of less quality. the players have simply evolved, strategies have evolved. rules need to evolve with it. they probably should make the 3 point line even longer, and get rid of 3 second violations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neo stop pls

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Teams are one-dimensional now because spamming threes is what works the best statistically. It's the league's fault that they haven't rebalanced their meta to encourage more balanced shot selection.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    stop being a moron and making untrue claims

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    stop being a moron and making untrue claims
    today’s NBA
    soft
    teaming up

Thread Information