Page 69 of 115 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 2866
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is getting depressing, with the Spurs drafting in the lottery in over 20 years with 3 position of needs and we could not even find one player where everyone is looking forward to be drafted. Seems like praying for KJ to grow 2 to 3 inches might be the more likely way of solving one of our positional needs.
    On the contrary, I think there are like fours guys that can realistically be expected to be there at 11 (Williams, Precious, Nesmith, Poke) that fans would be basically happy about but are quibbling about who's the best of those guys. That's normal. Heck, there are even players like Haliburton, Bey, Vassell and Anthony that have received fandom to lesser degrees. It's not likely that the Spurs are going to find a franchise player at 11, but it seems like they'll be able to land a young player who will add intrigue to the rest of the cache.

But yes, it would be nice if Johnson were a legit 6-8 player while maintaining his strength advantage over his peers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Bottom line is the only way we are ever going to get a chance at another ring is that we need to tank when a great potential franchise Star is going to be in draft. For people who say No to tanking so you realize we wouldn’t have those championship if we had not tanked? We ranked to get David and we ranked to get Timmy so I am OK drafting at 11 this year but we are going to have to tank hard when a great player comes out to have any chance of winning another le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about this? I admit the possibility that Poku could be less than a 10th man, a complete bust. He’s a high ceiling, low floor player. If he were high ceiling, high floor, he’d be a top 3 pick. There would be no risk. And why is some random persons internet video better than an actual draft site that analyzes 100 players?
    I'm not telling you to watch a random video with highlights where someone spoon feeds you their analysis on players. I'm telling you it's no different than being spoonfed by a website that provides analysis. I wouldn't even go that far either with tankathon, they analyze purely on numbers with no background information. There's no methodology explained behind their process on their big board. Tell me, what makes tankathon better than nbadraft.net? What's the justification for relying on these draft sites when their error of margin is high?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is getting depressing, with the Spurs drafting in the lottery in over 20 years with 3 position of needs and we could not even find one player where everyone is looking forward to be drafted. Seems like praying for KJ to grow 2 to 3 inches might be the more likely way of solving one of our positional needs.
    It comes down to what it always does with people on almost any issue: risk tolerance. Some posters would rather go with a player who can play next year, even if his ceiling is 8th man. Some would rather roll the dice and take more risky approach with a high risk, high rewards type player who has the potential to really break out in 2-3 years, or to bust.
    Last edited by exstatic; 08-28-2020 at 10:36 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not telling you to watch a random video with highlights where someone spoon feeds you their analysis on players. I'm telling you it's no different than being spoonfed by a website that provides analysis. I wouldn't even go that far either with tankathon, they analyze purely on numbers with no background information. There's no methodology explained behind their process on their big board. Tell me, what makes tankathon better than nbadraft.net? What's the justification for relying on these draft sites when their error of margin is high?
    What it comes down to is that you want something that doesn’t exist: a site that will perfectly predict the draft. Doesn’t exist. They all get it wrong.

As for their methodology, if you spent a lot of time on something like this, would you spill your secrets? I sure wouldn’t. That’s how you get ripped off. They do have a methodology. If you examine each profile, they have a column for strengths and weaknesses, and they weigh them. They are doing in depth analysis, even if it’s a black box to you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What it comes down to is that you want something that doesn’t exist: a site that will perfectly predict the draft. Doesn’t exist. They all get it wrong.

As for their methodology, if you spent a lot of time on something like this, would you spill your secrets? I sure wouldn’t. That’s how you get ripped off. They do have a methodology. If you examine each profile, they have a column for strengths and weaknesses, and they weigh them. They are doing in depth analysis, even if it’s a black box to you.
    That's not even what I'd want because it's impossible.

I treat it the same way I consume regular news: attain it from different points of the spectrum and condition your mind to formulate an informed and educated opinion. The "conditioning" part takes time and experience. This is the only way so you don't get misled and swept away by the dangerous current.

I equate just relying on tankathon as watching strictly Fox News for your news information. It isn't wise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not even what I'd want because it's impossible.

I treat it the same way I consume regular news: attain it from different points of the spectrum and condition your mind to formulate an informed and educated opinion. The "conditioning" part takes time and experience. This is the only way so you don't get misled and swept away by the dangerous current.

I equate just relying on tankathon as watching strictly Fox News for your news information. It isn't wise.
    I used to use D/X, but they went pay. I’ve never found nbadraft.net to be useful. They are heavily NCAA biased, and slowly react to risers and fallers. I also told you that I use The Stepien, but it’s more articles/analysis than rankings. They only tier the lottery. They have good articles, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I miss Draft Express they were so good and also only site that had tons if information on International players. I like Draft Net only for visual but Tankathon has better data and I think much more realistic with regards to its picks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not necessarily that. It's that if those perimeter skills don't pan out, then he'll need to gain more weight and develop different skills to stick as a role-player. At 225 , I think he could make it as a point-forward, especially if he can score at will and play passing lanes. But if he has to be a center who just flashes, then he'll need to be heavier . It's like the difference between adjusting to the NBA and forcing the NBA to adjust to you, if that makes more sense. He's 18. Him not being able to be a perimeter player in the NBA wouldn't ruin his career.
    I'm going to take an exception to this. There have been effective skinny centers in this league, in a much more physical era. Manute Bol played C at 200 lbs and 7'7" (basketball reference). As as spurs example, Francisco Elson, was a lightweight (not a particularly good player mind you, but a player. It was a much heavier era for bigs, and he was skill-deficient).

The video clips that show Poku getting pushed around in his league are very real, but so is his statistical output of blocks and rebounds. The way to square that circle, in my opinion, is that he has a very good nose for the ball. I cannot see that skill not applying in the NBA; despite his lack of strength (which may rectify with time), he will still be able to get some board and blocks in the NBA (again, IMO).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to take an exception to this. There have been effective skinny centers in this league, in a much more physical era. Manute Bol played C at 200 lbs and 7'7" (basketball reference). As as spurs example, Francisco Elson, was a lightweight (not a particularly good player mind you, but a player. It was a much heavier era for bigs, and he was skill-deficient).

The video clips that show Poku getting pushed around in his league are very real, but so is his statistical output of blocks and rebounds. The way to square that circle, in my opinion, is that he has a very good nose for the ball. I cannot see that skill not applying in the NBA; despite his lack of strength (which may rectify with time), he will still be able to get some board and blocks in the NBA (again, IMO).
    His court awareness will make him an elite weak side shot blocker. TaT has his projected 3 pt % at 37. Even 5-10 years ago, that combination of just shot blocking and 3 pt. Shooting was recognized as being extremely valuable in a player, Serge Ibaka being one of the early archetypes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's young. I think the defense can be taught. I'm not convinced that he won't be able to score in the NBA.

A low-post LaMarcus would be waaay better than jump-shooting LaMarcus when the games matter, assuming Isaiah gets near his potential.
    My questions answered:

Interviewer: Your coach at Washington, Mike Hopkins, is a disciple of Jim Boeheim of Syracuse. Both of them are known for having their teams play a zone defense. Do you think there will be an adjustment for you to get back to playing man-to-man in the NBA?

Isaiah Stewart: No, because I've played man-to-man my whole life. That was one of the knocks on the University of Washington for me. I told Coach Hop I wasn't sure I wanted to go there because I didn't want to play zone. I wanted to play man-to-man. He didn't think I was going to choose the University of Washington, but I ended up choosing them anyway. I'm a guy who loves a challenge. I love playing man-to-man. It's something I've been doing my whole life. I feel like, after one year, I don't see why people have to question whether I can guard man-to-man when I've been doing it my whole life. If you look back at everything and everywhere I have played, I have always played man-to-man. I never had to go zone, and no one ever worried about me switching out onto a guard.

https://www.bab hoops.com/amp/isa...mpression=true

Isaiah jumping up my list again. He's definitely my sleeper pick. People are going to wonder why he went so low (if he stays there where he's currently projected at).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    interviewer: I’m not suggesting I agree with these assumptions, as you know I’m a big supporter of yours, but some of your critics have implied that you will struggle against quickness at the four and NBA length at the five. What do you have to say about those statements?

Isaiah Stewart: Go look at all of these mock drafts, then go back to my high school days, look at who I matched up against, and see what I did to them. See what I did to every seven footer I went up against. I went up against Bol Bol in high school — go watch that match up. I played against length my whole life. I've played against quicker guys my whole life. I've played man-to-man my whole life. I played zone for one year and now people have question marks with this and that. I've been a guy that's been showing up since day one and busting everyone's ass. I don't know why people are questioning everything. I'm not a guy that's fallen off. I'm a guy that's kept on rising. I went to college and did what I had to do. People are going to say what they have to say, but at the end of the day, there's basketball. Everyone can have all of these questions that can't be answered right now but when basketball resumes they'll be answered. I can tell the people questioning me just to wait until we play ball again.

This boy is going to be a beast, man....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man defense for a big is nice, but it's becoming less helpful with time. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the quote, but it sounds like he's dismissing questions on his switchability by claiming his a man-defender. That won't fly in the NBA. Bigs more than anyone else have to be able to at least help long enough to let their guard catch up. Plus, I worry about what type of players he can play man-defense with. If it's only centers or PFs, that's next to useless. If he can guard big wings, that's way more helpful, though switchability is a concern. Obviously if he can do 1-5, that's the guy Spurs have have probably always wanted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I couldnt find footage of Isaiah vs Bol Bol but I found this one vs Wiseman. Seems like Isaiah got the better of Wiseman in this video.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll just say that he sounds very indignant at the question and if the chip on his shoulder manifests in a mature way, I def want him.

It's a legitimate question though.

What I will say is that if he was perfect, we wouldn't be getting him at 11. We're gonna have to work with some kind of obvious flaw whoever we pick. This guy is high for me.

I don't think NBA heights will bother him. The league is mostly midgets right now and playing defense is borderline illegal anyway. He'll get buckets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man defense for a big is nice, but it's becoming less helpful with time. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the quote, but it sounds like he's dismissing questions on his switchability by claiming his a man-defender. That won't fly in the NBA. Bigs more than anyone else have to be able to at least help long enough to let their guard catch up. Plus, I worry about what type of players he can play man-defense with. If it's only centers or PFs, that's next to useless. If he can guard big wings, that's way more helpful, though switchability is a concern. Obviously if he can do 1-5, that's the guy Spurs have have probably always wanted.
    Hmm, I got a different impression out of the interview; I took it more as "I've played man-to-man my whole life, but after a year of playing zone, people are starting to question whether I can play man-to-man, which is ridiculous" sort of. Of course, I haven't watched enough to tell whether he's been good enough at zones the year he played with that scheme, though being rational I wouldn't expect Stewart (nor any player) to instantly excel when switching into a defensive scheme he'd never played before. As for the rest, definitely agree that zone defense is a big deal for a big man, and zones in general will probably be on the up the next few years, especially against teams that aren't known for their shooting.

If Stewart is as good a defender as he claims he is, I'm interested. Above all in every prospect I've liked, I want defense-oriented play and versatility. I'd much rather stay put in terms of the playmaking and shooting that we have on the team already, and go for a defensive-minded prospect, than try to keep adding on to our pretty big list of players who excel on offense and need the ball in their hands to be effective. I'm looking at the '21 draft in terms of going for "that guy" who can run an offense and be the offensive engine of the team; no prospects in this draft that I've seen look to be able to get to that level, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, I got a different impression out of the interview; I took it more as "I've played man-to-man my whole life, but after a year of playing zone, people are starting to question whether I can play man-to-man, which is ridiculous" sort of. Of course, I haven't watched enough to tell whether he's been good enough at zones the year he played with that scheme, though being rational I wouldn't expect Stewart (nor any player) to instantly excel when switching into a defensive scheme he'd never played before. As for the rest, definitely agree that zone defense is a big deal for a big man, and zones in general will probably be on the up the next few years, especially against teams that aren't known for their shooting.

If Stewart is as good a defender as he claims he is, I'm interested. Above all in every prospect I've liked, I want defense-oriented play and versatility. I'd much rather stay put in terms of the playmaking and shooting that we have on the team already, and go for a defensive-minded prospect, than try to keep adding on to our pretty big list of players who excel on offense and need the ball in their hands to be effective. I'm looking at the '21 draft in terms of going for "that guy" who can run an offense and be the offensive engine of the team; no prospects in this draft that I've seen look to be able to get to that level, tbh.
    Same, the switchability has always been the #1 factor for me for prospects.

Again, I'd like to ask anyone to share to me any prospect that has been double teamed as much as Stewart has this year or years past. For some reason, this is being REALLY overlooked by most people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I couldnt find footage of Isaiah vs Bol Bol but I found this one vs Wiseman. Seems like Isaiah got the better of Wiseman in this video.
    I'd like to see a more lengthy video showcasing both his strengths and weaknesses (might look for one later, maybe some draft profile on YT?), but I like what he showed in this short highlight reel. Looks to have an above average motor, plays strong, goes after his own misses and tries to contest everything. I didn't see much offensive prowess but again, might not have been the game to highlight that aspect. I also like his build - he's already got a fair bit of muscle, wide and squared shoulders that look to support a good frame, quick and nimble for his size, even better built muscle-wise than Wiseman (though Wiseman's shooting stroke is understandably top lottery material at his size and length).

Lots of interesting prospects at #11 this year, tbh. I'm kind of torn on this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd like to see a more lengthy video showcasing both his strengths and weaknesses (might look for one later, maybe some draft profile on YT?), but I like what he showed in this short highlight reel. Looks to have an above average motor, plays strong, goes after his own misses and tries to contest everything. I didn't see much offensive prowess but again, might not have been the game to highlight that aspect. I also like his build - he's already got a fair bit of muscle, wide and squared shoulders that look to support a good frame, quick and nimble for his size, even better built muscle-wise than Wiseman (though Wiseman's shooting stroke is understandably top lottery material at his size and length).

Lots of interesting prospects at #11 this year, tbh. I'm kind of torn on this.
    Look back a couple pages and look at the time stamps I put in those videos. He's crazy good on offense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look back a couple pages and look at the time stamps I put in those videos. He's crazy good on offense.
    I'm not as convinced as you are. He's very strong for a college big; he's got grown man strength and can thus overpower other college players. But he's going to be playing against men grown into their own strength in the NBA, pure power isn't going to work near as well. Worse, there's the alternative reason to collapse multiple defenders on a big when he catches the ball : that he's not skilled/aware enough to pass it out. I didn't watch all the video, just your timestamps, but I didn't see his head coming up to see if he had a pass out option...

If he's as good as you think he is, he'd be much higher on everyone's draft boards. Whereas pretty much the highest I've seen him is late first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not as convinced as you are. He's very strong for a college big; he's got grown man strength and can thus overpower other college players. But he's going to be playing against men grown into their own strength in the NBA, pure power isn't going to work near as well. Worse, there's the alternative reason to collapse multiple defenders on a big when he catches the ball : that he's not skilled/aware enough to pass it out. I didn't watch all the video, just your timestamps, but I didn't see his head coming up to see if he had a pass out option...

If he's as good as you think he is, he'd be much higher on everyone's draft boards. Whereas pretty much the highest I've seen him is late first.
    Interviewer: Are there any current or former players that you would compare yourself to?

Isaiah: Yes, the two guys that I watch the most are Montrezl Harrel and Bam Adebayo. Those are two small ball fives that I watch, and I see different ways that they have succeeded at the next level with scoring and helping their teams. A guy like Montrezl has a great motor and a will to not be denied. Then I watch Bam Adebayo and the way he passes the ball. That's something that I want to be great at, making the right passes and reads.

Valid concerns. Although your alternative reason: I'm not sure if college coaches are that savvy enough to think of that as an idea? Do they even scout the other team as much as NBA teams do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pad300

I think the reason he's low on most boards is because he's an old school big who didn't flaunt 3 point shooting or showed switching ability in college. Seems that's the criteria to raise your draft stock these days.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless his Embiid nobody is gonna call post up plays for him, not in the modern nba. This is a reach at 11, could easily slide in the second round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pad300

I think the reason he's low on most boards is because he's an old school big who didn't flaunt 3 point shooting or showed switching ability in college. Seems that's the criteria to raise your draft stock these days.
    He's also a tidbit short.

Thread Information