Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen Smith best comparisson is present day Ibaka, imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen Smith best comparisson is present day Ibaka, imho.
    Considering how much Ibaka is going to get paid with his recent bubble performances, and his amazing production... Yeah, I'll take one, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering how much Ibaka is going to get paid with his recent bubble performances, and his amazing production... Yeah, I'll take one, tbh.
    Yeah, well, that would be best case scenario, tbh.

I would still rather get a wing, but I wouldn't be mad with Smith. Better than timvp's beloved combo guards, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm higher on Jalen than most but I don't see that at all, tbh. Siakam has elite fluidity for his size, while fluidity is one of Jalen's biggest issues. Bosh was a top prospect in high school, super polished as an 18-year-old freshman in college, had elite touch from day one and had a body that allowed him to be a post-up threat.

IMO, Jalen at his best will be a third option on offense who relies on others to create for him. It looks like he'll be useful in the right system but I don't see any star qualities like were apparent with Bosh on Day 1.
    When people see someone compare prospects to top caliber players, they automatically think their peak production. It's fair to do that, but I don't think of it that way at all when I write that. I'm thinking stylistically when I mention those players. Jalen has shades of Bosh' post up game when you squint your eyes, it's as if they have the same layup package and shot tendency (if we are thinking NBA 2k). I acknowledge Bosh's rating may be higher on "touch", but it's not what I think about when I make these comparisons. The big difference in tendency though, is I don't think Bosh exhibited the pick and pop ability that Jalen has shown.

For instance, I was close to using Porzingas as a comparison for Jalen because most of Porzingas' points comes from the 3 pt line and some inside. However, upon deeper look I saw that his 3 point shooting mainly came from spot ups. Rarely are there pick and pops, or off the dribble shots, which are what Jalen does to get his shots outside the paint. So, using Porzingas would have been a bad comparison given the ways he scores.

As far as Siakam, all you have to do is look at his college tape and tell me he doesn't look like Jalen right now in college. I should have been more specific. Siakam looks completely different today than in college, especially the fluidity as you mentioned.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-10-2020 at 10:10 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, well, that would be best case scenario, tbh.

I would still rather get a wing, but I wouldn't be mad with Smith. Better than timvp's beloved combo guards, tbh.
    I haven't had time to dig up your because I'm lazy and the search feature is down, but this right here is an example of why it can be annoying to read your posts.

Making definitive statements like "well, that would be the best case scenario" is pretty much a "cuz i said so" statement and it makes you look like an idiot.

You wanted me to point it out, so there it is. It's just the way you phrase things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Serge Ibaka as a comparison for Jalen was my initial lazy comparison before I had started checking out his games. It's an easy assessment to make... They both shoot 3s, they both block shots, both tall, muscular.... But that's about where it ends.

Peak Ibaka got most of his blocks from weakside help and using his exceptional foot speed to catch players on the drive. Jalen gets his blocks from individual post up defense and some on weakside when they attack.

Ibaka had little to no post offense to speak of. He scored most of his points from spot up shooting in the mid range (almost automatic). He did not display the same layup package as Jalen. He rarely knew how to use the backboard. Jalen had that interior offense and wasn't scared to get physical and get bumped. Ibaka would almost always go for the rim running facial during his peak years. He was super athletic, but wasn't very physical inside. Completely different tendencies on offense between the two.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-10-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm higher on Jalen than most but I don't see that at all, tbh. Siakam has elite fluidity for his size, while fluidity is one of Jalen's biggest issues. Bosh was a top prospect in high school, super polished as an 18-year-old freshman in college, had elite touch from day one and had a body that allowed him to be a post-up threat.

IMO, Jalen at his best will be a third option on offense who relies on others to create for him. It looks like he'll be useful in the right system but I don't see any star qualities like were apparent with Bosh on Day 1.
    Miles Turner is a closer comp to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

July 26, 2019 Photo

Yoga:

Last edited by Dejounte; 09-10-2020 at 10:23 AM.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew I watched Maryland play this year, and I've been trying to figure out why Smith didn't register on me. It was against Ohio State, late in the season, and Kaleb Wesson just totally overshadowed him.

It's a good reminder. Wesson was one of the guys I thought might be a second round sleeper. If the Spurs don't take a big man with 11, I would definitely be okay with Wesson at 41.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't had time to dig up your because I'm lazy and the search feature is down, but this right here is an example of why it can be annoying to read your posts.

Making definitive statements like "well, that would be the best case scenario" is pretty much a "cuz i said so" statement and it makes you look like an idiot.

You wanted me to point it out, so there it is. It's just the way you phrase things.
    And how is that different from the way you and every other poster here talks? Everybody expresses their opinions in definitive fashion. Nobody uses "in my opinion", "in my view", "the way I see things" everytime they are about to share a thought about an issue.

You want an example of someone posting a "cuz I said so" comment? Look no further than this next comment:

Also, Serge Ibaka as a comparison for Jalen was my initial lazy comparison before I had started checking out his games. It's an easy assessment to make... They both shoot 3s, they both block shots, both tall, muscular.... But that's about where it ends...
    So, yeah, like I was saying, it's clear you have some strange personal issue with me. The worst part is that for the most part I tried to avoid quoting you, but you just can't seem to avoid quoting me. If I disturb you so much why don't you try putting me on ignore? That way you won't have to fight urge of quoting me everytime you read one of my posts. You would be doing me a favour since I'm done trying to put the other cheek and I wouldn't need to keep dealing with your re ed, clearly slightly autistic ass, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how is that different from the way you and every other poster here talks? Everybody expresses their opinions in definitive fashion. Nobody uses "in my opinion", "in my view", "the way I see things" everytime they are about to share a thought about an issue.

You want an example of someone posting a "cuz I said so" comment? Look no further than this next comment:

So, yeah, like I was saying, it's clear you have some strange personal issue with me. The worst part is that for the most part I tried to avoid quoting you, but you just can't seem to avoid quoting me. If I disturb you si much why don't you try putting me on ignore? That way you won't have to fight urge of quoting me everytime you read one of my posts. You would be doing me a favour since I'm done trying to put the other cheek and I wouldn't need to keep dealing with your re ed, clearly slightly autistic ass, tbh.
    Ahh, here you go again. Crying. Too bad you couldn't get it through your thick skull and take the advice to heart, and use it constructively. Of course, your go-to remarks are your emojis. It's alright... let it all out, you clown. Stop being in your own feelings and try to be better. You're a joke.

I tried to go light on your ass, and yet here you are reverting to a five year old. Sad...

You literally can't put 2 + 2 together and when you're challenged, it's back to your defense mechanisms. Maybe there are just people like you who will never get it.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 09-10-2020 at 01:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm seeing a chance for him to become the next Robert Horry

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Give me some nasty! This guy is a trash talker Jimmy Butler:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of a man crush with Smith you have going on there. I love it. We need more people with their horses in the draft. Ex and DAF are riding with Poke. I'll fight anyone who doesn't think Toppin is worth trading up for. We have like two more months until the draft. Let's get some churches going.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He really needs to put a bit more time on his lower body, his forearm seems almost the same size as his legs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of a man crush with Smith you have going on there. I love it. We need more people with their horses in the draft. Ex and DAF are riding with Poke. I'll fight anyone who doesn't think Toppin is worth trading up for. We have like two more months until the draft. Let's get some churches going.
    I'm letting go like a hot potato if he doesn't get drafted by us.

If there were vegas bets, i feel good about putting it all in on Smith though.

He seems like a classic but also modern Spursy pick. Checks a lot of boxes. Ready to play? Check. Potential? Check.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He really needs to put a bit more time on his lower body, his forearm seems almost the same size as his legs.
    , I think Pokusevski has bigger legs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget pad300 on the Poke train.
    ZeusWillJudge on the Saddiq train.
    Thomas82 on the James Wiseman train (literally every post is about Wiseman lmao)
    Sugus on the Precious train (recently on Smith train as well)
    objective on the Patrick Williams train
    timvp on any combo guard train

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , I think Pokusevski has bigger legs...
    Poku's arms and upper body are very thin, but his legs are relatively sturdy for his size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure yet how thin or thick legs factor in practicality in a basketball sense.

Would there be an advantage with thinner legs? Is it the reason for his quick hops for blocks?

In any case, I hope he works on his legs enough to be quicker laterally. It seems to support him enough against bigs somewhat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure yet how thin or thick legs factor in practicality in a basketball sense.

Would there be an advantage with thinner legs? Is it the reason for his quick hops for blocks?

In any case, I hope he works on his legs enough to be quicker laterally. It seems to support him enough against bigs somewhat.

I think that's one of those "eye test" things that doesn't always add up. Scottie Pippen and Tayshaun Prince both had rail thin legs and were relative Iron Men in terms of durability.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget pad300 on the Poke train.
    ZeusWillJudge on the Saddiq train.
    Thomas82 on the James Wiseman train (literally every post is about Wiseman lmao)
    Sugus on the Precious train (recently on Smith train as well)
    objective on the Patrick Williams train
    timvp on any combo guard train
    I'm on the Woodard train....albeit at a lower pick than #11

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what about drafting Jalen Smith and Vernon Carey Jr. We have our startig bigs for the future. Our one glaring hole would be SF.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like for the first to be Smith and our second to be Woodard or Nwora for SF. That will allow Walker, Keldon, Murray and White to really figure out where they fit in with the future and which positions they can be successful at.

One thing is I have my likes but I am also cool with them drafting another player like Poku or William or even Precious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Smith’s potential and I feel he will be a better NBA player and have a better career (barring injuries) than Precious.

Thread Information