View Poll Results: Two weeks left. Finalize your answer!

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Franz Wagner

23 27.71%
  • Moses Moody

5 6.02%
  • Alperen Sengun

23 27.71%
  • Kai Jones

9 10.84%
  • Josh Giddey

4 4.82%
  • Jalen Johnson

12 14.46%
  • Jaden Springer

0 0%
  • Usman Garuba

1 1.20%
  • Keon Johnson

3 3.61%
  • James Bouknight

3 3.61%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My fleeting thoughts of the day

something positive about each player:

Franz has DPOY potential, IMO
    Moody could be a nice two way player
    Sengun might make big men fun to watch again
    Kai could win the Spurs’ first ever dunk contest
    Giddey will make the Spurs relevant on mainstream media, similar to LaMelo and Charlotte
    Jalen J could run with the young guys and make fast breaks fun
    Springer will maintain the Spurs status quo as mid range masters
    Garuba will make defense fun to watch
    Keon can tandem with Lonnie and fly high every game
    Bouknight could become a dangerous scoring machine

negatives
    Nothing flashy about Franz’ handles
    Moody might be content with being a 2nd or 3rd option
    Sengun might be a stat stuffer but have no impact on winning
    Kai might have lower bball IQ than Rudy Gay and that’s saying something
    Giddey’s defense might bring back memories of Bryn Forbes
    Jalen J might quit on the team after 10 games after being yelled at by Pop.
    Springer might be another combo guard who brings nothing new to the table
    Garuba might make Poeltl look like a good offensive player
    Keon hesitating with shooting 3s might make people break their TV
    Bouknight might be more injury prone than Derrick White

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it very strange that we still have yet to hear about any confirmed Franz Wagner workouts.

He’s in a group with Cade, Suggs, Mobley and Green from what I can tell ie. consensus lottery talent with unsubstantiated nba team meetings.
    That’s your likely top 4 + Franz.

He doesn’t attend the combine. Gets a green room invite….

The “Kings Promise” makes some sense but even prospects like Barnes and Kuminga are meeting with/working out for teams lower than their projected draft position.

Perhaps some more in the know can shed some light on this…
    The only thing that makes sense to me (like I wrote in the draft discussion thread), is that Wagner has a promise in hand from a team he wants to go to, so he's shut things down. I have no idea if that's the Kings or someone else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing that makes sense to me (like I wrote in the draft discussion thread), is that Wagner has a promise in hand from a team he wants to go to, so he's shut things down. I have no idea if that's the Kings or someone else.
    I don't think it's the Kings... I think he's gone before then myself..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wagner and Giddey's lack of athleticism is a concern for me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wagner and Giddey's lack of athleticism is a concern for me.
    Wagner is a very good athlete...no concerns there... now Giddey....well its not his strength..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wagner is a very good athlete...no concerns there... now Giddey....well its not his strength..
    Every scouting report lists athleticism as a weakness for Wagner and none of the videos I've seen suggest anything close to elite athleticism.

Here are just some of the things being said about his limited athleticism:

"Wagner may struggle to create his own shot in the NBA due to his lack of explosiveness getting to the hoop and lack of great foot speed to gain separation … Was an excellent finisher in college, but with much better athletes in the NBA, he may have difficulty matching that success rate"

"
    Wagner’s lack of elite athleticism is a concern, especially if he is going to stick at the three. There is a chance that he can improve his quickness and agility with an NBA training staff, but there are limitations."

"
    On top of that, Wagner doesn’t have the elite athleticism of some other prospects in his class. This leads to him having to find other ways to score whilst driving to the basket."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does CP3, Middleton, Booker, Jrue, strike people as players with elite athleticism?

give me a break

You can be good without elite athleticism. The sport is more than that. You’d figure people would have learned that by now from watching Lonnie looking like a deer in headlights

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My fleeting thoughts of the day

something positive about each player:

Franz has DPOY potential, IMO
    Moody could be a nice two way player
    Sengun might make big men fun to watch again
    Kai could win the Spurs’ first ever dunk contest
    Giddey will make the Spurs relevant on mainstream media, similar to LaMelo and Charlotte
    Jalen J could run with the young guys and make fast breaks fun
    Springer will maintain the Spurs status quo as mid range masters
    Garuba will make defense fun to watch
    Keon can tandem with Lonnie and fly high every game
    Bouknight could become a dangerous scoring machine

negatives
    Nothing flashy about Franz’ handles
    Moody might be content with being a 2nd or 3rd option
    Sengun might be a stat stuffer but have no impact on winning
    Kai might have lower bball IQ than Rudy Gay and that’s saying something
    Giddey’s defense might bring back memories of Bryn Forbes
    Jalen J might quit on the team after 10 games after being yelled at by Pop.
    Springer might be another combo guard who brings nothing new to the table
    Garuba might make Poeltl look like a good offensive player
    Keon hesitating with shooting 3s might make people break their TV
    Bouknight might be more injury prone than Derrick White
    I like it. You were very high on Duarte before, and even said take him if that’s who the PATFO wants instead of trading down. Why isn’t he on this list?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does CP3, Middleton, Booker, Jrue, strike people as players with elite athleticism?

give me a break

You can be good without elite athleticism. The sport is more than that. You’d figure people would have learned that by now from watching Lonnie looking like a deer in headlights
    Dude, I'm just saying it's a concern. A CONCERN. Not the be all, end all. A ING CONCERN. That's all. Also, Wagner is not expected to be in the same stratosphere as most of those guys you mentioned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, I'm just saying it's a concern. A CONCERN. Not the be all, end all. A ING CONCERN. That's all. Also, Wagner is not expected to be in the same stratosphere as most of those guys you mentioned.
    Middleton, Booker, Jrue were not expected to be in the same stratosphere as Middleton, Booker, and Jrue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like it. You were very high on Duarte before, and even said take him if that’s who the PATFO wants instead of trading down. Why isn’t he on this list?
    Polls are limited to 10 options on this board, and I didn’t want to change it up too much so I could see the trend from month to month.

i secretly think he is the pick, but we will see.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every scouting report lists athleticism as a weakness for Wagner and none of the videos I've seen suggest anything close to elite athleticism.

Here are just some of the things being said about his limited athleticism:

"Wagner may struggle to create his own shot in the NBA due to his lack of explosiveness getting to the hoop and lack of great foot speed to gain separation … Was an excellent finisher in college, but with much better athletes in the NBA, he may have difficulty matching that success rate"

"
    Wagner’s lack of elite athleticism is a concern, especially if he is going to stick at the three. There is a chance that he can improve his quickness and agility with an NBA training staff, but there are limitations."

"
    On top of that, Wagner doesn’t have the elite athleticism of some other prospects in his class. This leads to him having to find other ways to score whilst driving to the basket."
    I didn't say it was elite....I said it was very good.... watch the video of him against Barnes (who is elite)....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elite athleticism is a trap for a lot of picks. A guy like Kuminga is going to be a bust, but someone will pay him millions of dollars to be the next Jabari Parker. Meanwhile Jared Dudley had a long career as a slow-ass dude, because he knew positioning and how to play basketball. I'd rather have a guy who's two steps slow but always in position than a guy who is two steps faster but always three steps away.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Trey Murphy?? Y’all slipping. That’s the diamond in the draft

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, Wagner has better lateral quickness on defense than I was expecting. I can see why posters are high on him.
    After Game 5 NBA Finals, I'm higher on Wagner. You got to have a big who can guard Black Greek guy in this league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Polls are limited to 10 options on this board, and I didn’t want to change it up too much so I could see the trend from month to month.

Im having hard time seeing poll. Could you paste in the thread the top 3 consensus picks of this board?

I should probably start caring about the draft now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Im having hard time seeing poll. Could you paste in the thread the top 3 consensus picks of this board?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The drafting choice boils down to the goal. Do you want to merely get back into playoffs? Or you want to win a championship? If Championship is the goal, you pick the high risk high reward guy - Kai Jones. Jones at his ceiling will be a super star - A Kevin Garnet with Duncan's character and leadership. 3 point shooting, rim runner, fast break, shot blocking, switchibility on defense.

Barns? Sengun? No 3 pt shooting yet. How many guys were drafted and hoped to develop 3 pt shooting and failed? So, lesson #1, you don't want to gamble on 3 pt shooting. Jones at least has it already, even though not high volume.

Jalen Johnson? I don't want another Steven Jackson, Jonathan Simmons or even Kobe Bryant. Remember Kobe could have won 6 les with Shaq. Lesson #2, you don't gamble with character. That thing cannot be developed in 10 years. Adequate ego means compe ive and rise at the moment. But too much ego or selfishness will harm the team's cohesion badly. After all, basketball is a team sport. From the interview, Jones had Duncan's humbleness ,work ethic and wisdom. Manu is another great example. Duncan+Manu+Pop = Multiple Championships.
    Shooting is easier to develop relative to other skills. Takes a ton of work but it is more straightforward than other skills that relies on tools/instincts more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

top 3 (current poll)
    1. Franz
    2. Sengun
    3. Kai Jones

top 3 (combination of last two polls)
    1. Franz
    2. Moses
    3. Sengun

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Trey Murphy?? Y’all slipping. That’s the diamond in the draft
    One dimensional shooter who isn't as good at defense as you'd expect.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The drafting choice boils down to the goal. Do you want to merely get back into playoffs? Or you want to win a championship? If Championship is the goal, you pick the high risk high reward guy - Kai Jones. Jones at his ceiling will be a super star - A Kevin Garnet with Duncan's character and leadership. 3 point shooting, rim runner, fast break, shot blocking, switchibility on defense.

Barns? Sengun? No 3 pt shooting yet. How many guys were drafted and hoped to develop 3 pt shooting and failed? So, lesson #1, you don't want to gamble on 3 pt shooting. Jones at least has it already, even though not high volume.

Jalen Johnson? I don't want another Steven Jackson, Jonathan Simmons or even Kobe Bryant. Remember Kobe could have won 6 les with Shaq. Lesson #2, you don't gamble with character. That thing cannot be developed in 10 years. Adequate ego means compe ive and rise at the moment. But too much ego or selfishness will harm the team's cohesion badly. After all, basketball is a team sport. From the interview, Jones had Duncan's humbleness ,work ethic and wisdom. Manu is another great example. Duncan+Manu+Pop = Multiple Championships.
    Predicting character is a guess too. Remember what everyone thought of Kawhi?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Predicting character is a guess too. Remember what everyone thought of Kawhi?
    The entire draft is a gamble. I just like to minimize risk by eliminating a prospect who had quitted on two previous teams before. But who knows? Maybe Spurs interviewed him and found him acceptable. Plus, if Kai Jones and Sengun is gone before 12th, then Jalen Johnson is the only big guy remaining with a high ceiling. I will gamble and pick him and hope for the best.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    top 3 (current poll)
    1. Franz
    2. Sengun
    3. Kai Jones

top 3 (combination of last two polls)
    1. Franz
    2. Moses
    3. Sengun
    Wow, people really like the German and Turkish kids huh? Cool
    Last edited by CGD; 07-18-2021 at 04:59 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about . . .

1. James Bouknight
    2. Kai Jones
    3. Josh Giddey

All have their own distinct risks but also possibilities.

Opinions just not as strong (yet) this year as in the past.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After Game 5 NBA Finals, I'm higher on Wagner. You got to have a big who can guard Black Greek guy in this league.
    Garuba is likely going to be the best defender in this class, especially for trying to guard the Lebron/Kawhi/Greek types. But Franz looks to great defensively as well, with obviously a better all around game. But I think Garuba is being undervalued and has better BBIQ than is being given credit. Not incredible, but definitely not awful.

Thread Information