Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other NBA Draft thread is concentrated on who the first round pick will be. Lots of different directions, each option having an impact on team direction and so on.

The first round pick may also have an impact on the second round. A pick of Alperen Sengun or Kai Jones, for example, would likely mean a wing or guard in the second. A pick of a guard or wing in the first round might mean a big man with the other.

Some quick thoughts:

1. After the lottery, this draft is full of guards that are nearly indistinguishable from each other. Once you drill down closer, you see differences, but how to tell who is going to be actually good? A player like Cameron Thomas is a pure scorer, not much else, and may go higher than expected. Tre Mann, Quentin Grimes, Joshua Primo, Joel Ayayi, Josh Christopher, Miles McBride, BJ Boston, and on and on. Who would the Spurs pick if he dropped to them?

2. There may be some good big men floating around. A while back, Isaiah Jackson was getting a lot of burn, as was JT Thor. Isaiah Todd may have a first round promise. Then there are Filip Petrusev, Neemias Queta, Sandro Mamukelashvili, Jay Huff, and others.

3. This leaves some wings. Guys like Joe Wieskamp, Vrenz Bleighenberg, Isaiah Livers, Kessler Edwards, Herbert Jones.

Who do you think the front office is really looking at? We have some indication by way of who has visited, but that's never the full story.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other NBA Draft thread is concentrated on who the first round pick will be. Lots of different directions, each option having an impact on team direction and so on.

The first round pick may also have an impact on the second round. A pick of Alperen Sengun or Kai Jones, for example, would likely mean a wing or guard in the second. A pick of a guard or wing in the first round might mean a big man with the other.

Some quick thoughts:

1. After the lottery, this draft is full of guards that are nearly indistinguishable from each other. Once you drill down closer, you see differences, but how to tell who is going to be actually good? A player like Cameron Thomas is a pure scorer, not much else, and may go higher than expected. Tre Mann, Quentin Grimes, Joshua Primo, Joel Ayayi, Josh Christopher, Miles McBride, BJ Boston, and on and on. Who would the Spurs pick if he dropped to them?

2. There may be some good big men floating around. A while back, Isaiah Jackson was getting a lot of burn, as was JT Thor. Isaiah Todd may have a first round promise. Then there are Filip Petrusev, Neemias Queta, Sandro Mamukelashvili, Jay Huff, and others.

3. This leaves some wings. Guys like Joe Wieskamp, Vrenz Bleighenberg, Isaiah Livers, Kessler Edwards, Herbert Jones.

Who do you think the front office is really looking at? We have some indication by way of who has visited, but that's never the full story.
    I think they are looking to see who they have relatively high on their board that drops and is still there. I doubt position or need will figure into it very much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they are looking to see who they have relatively high on their board that drops and is still there. I doubt position or need will figure into it very much.
    Position and need always plays into it. BPA is a myth other than very select areas of the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems unlikely they're looking to give their 2nd round pick a guaranteed contract like last year, unless someone they really love drops. I believe they're more likely to draft someone who'd agree to play on a 2-way contract rather than someone with a higher upside who's looking for a guaranteed contract - a bit like in the Q draft.

I like Ayayi, Edwards, Queta, Grimes and JRE (the latter two unlikely to be there anymore), although if someone like BJ Boston, Greg Brown or Josh Christopher drops they'd be way more exciting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys like Daniel Gafford, Paul Reed, & Jarred Vanderbilt are looking like they could be legit pieces in the future. It seems like lately the best 2nd round finds are bigs that don't necessarily fit the traditional big profile, but find a way to have an impact. And since the game is generally (but not completely by any means) moving away from centers, one great strategy for teams can be finding decent bigs who won't demand huge contracts and saving the big bucks for the top flight swing players & combo forwards that are more likely to be first options in today's NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At 7' and can hit the 3, I'd be happy with Queta. I doubt he's still available though at 41.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great thread idea, thanks!

I'm pulling for Joe Weiskamp at 41. His combine metrics were eye-popping and he can shoot it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Weiskamp as well, I think he’s gonna be drafted closer to the end of the first round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grimes. Kessler Edwards. Vrenz Bliejenbergh. Trey Murphy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems unlikely they're looking to give their 2nd round pick a guaranteed contract like last year, unless someone they really love drops. I believe they're more likely to draft someone who'd agree to play on a 2-way contract rather than someone with a higher upside who's looking for a guaranteed contract - a bit like in the Q draft.

I like Ayayi, Edwards, Queta, Grimes and JRE (the latter two unlikely to be there anymore), although if someone like BJ Boston, Greg Brown or Josh Christopher drops they'd be way more exciting.
    I was pissed that we didn’t pick Reed in the 2R last year. TaT had him at #17 on their big board. I watched him in the Gubble, and he looked pretty damn good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre Mann would look pretty good at #41 (but likely won't last that long).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been hoping for Wieskamp at 41, but especially after the combine it seems unlikely that he'll drop past the early second.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeremiah Robinson Earl would be great in the 2nd, probably won’t make it there tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At 7' and can hit the 3, I'd be happy with Queta. I doubt he's still available though at 41.
    Queta isn't a three-point shooter, but I like him as well. Huge, great shotblocker and pretty good defender who also has passing instincts.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wieskamp, JRE, queta, edwards, jones. Overall u can find really solid player in the second round.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Ibou Dianko Badji in the 2nd round.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Ibou Dianko Badji in the 2nd round.
    He withdrew, and it's not a surprise. He's gonna be a first rounder in the next 2 years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He withdrew, and it's not a surprise. He's gonna be a first rounder in the next 2 years.
    Oh ok.....well then, I don't care who we get in the 2nd round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was pissed that we didn’t pick Reed in the 2R last year. TaT had him at #17 on their big board. I watched him in the Gubble, and he looked pretty damn good.
    The sample sizes are admittedly small so far, but Reed's outplaying his draft position in metrics like WS/48, where he is 2nd in his draft class, and also 9th in BPM, & 15th in VORP. Pretty impressive for a 58th pick. Daniel Gafford is showing similar results.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wieskamp or queeta

With all the withdrawing the secound is less deeper but it still some good guys.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brown or Sims from Texas sounds good to me. The French kid Begarin might be a decent stash, he's young

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooters translate the best so you try to get shooters this late

Wieskamp
    Petrusev
    JT Thor (not really a shooter but his current tools are intriguing)
    Isaiah Todd (same as above)
    JRE
    Juhann Begarin
    Aaron Henry

really hoping for Petrusev the most

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A shooter who's taller than 6'3" would be nice. I'd go for that in R2. Who cares what else he's capable of.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooters translate the best so you try to get shooters this late

Wieskamp
    Petrusev
    JT Thor (not really a shooter but his current tools are intriguing)
    Isaiah Todd (same as above)
    JRE
    Juhann Begarin
    Aaron Henry

really hoping for Petrusev the most
    If that's the available list at 41 my preference of pick might very well be in the order you listed them actually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charles Bassey!

Thread Information