San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The Bucks 'play dumb basketball' and make so many careless turnovers"
    "The Bucks are the 'dumbest' team in Finals history"

what a ing dumb ass srsly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Attention seeker. He doesn't have a viable basketball thought in his head so he has to make up stupid narratives for people to comment on instead of ignoring him. Luckily he can barely speak english so most probably wouldn't even understand him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robinson had a pure jumpshot. Ayton doesn't have any skill like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is great, but he's closer to a traditional big man, lmao. The Admiral was an athlete anomaly closer to .. Giannis if anyone from today's league

Spurs Fan In Milan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have drafted Doncic.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not necessarily a dumb comparison. Ayton has played better and better and made a big jump this season. Remember that he came into the league after one year of college and he didn't even play the whole college season. David Robinson came into the NBA after 4 years of college and a stint with the Navy. David Robinson was physically mature and NBA ready the minute he came in the league, so to make an apt comparison to Ayton, you'd have to wonder how good David would have been as a college sop re coming into the league. Under that standard, after two years in the NBA and one year of college, it's not a wild comparison to think that's what David Robinson would look like. Especially you have to consider that the NBA game in David's era favored big men and Ayton is playing in an era that disfavors big men.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not necessarily a dumb comparison. Ayton has played better and better and made a big jump this season. Remember that he came into the league after one year of college and he didn't even play the whole college season. David Robinson came into the NBA after 4 years of college and a stint with the Navy. David Robinson was physically mature and NBA ready the minute he came in the league, so to make an apt comparison to Ayton, you'd have to wonder how good David would have been as a college sop re coming into the league. Under that standard, after two years in the NBA and one year of college, it's not a wild comparison to think that's what David Robinson would look like. Especially you have to consider that the NBA game in David's era favored big men and Ayton is playing in an era that disfavors big men.
    Good points. David was more athletic and quicker. Ayton probably a little more skilled around the interior. Ayton is probably a poor man's Robinson but not that far off. Once it came time for playoff basketball Robinson's thin frame always struggled on offense while Ayton seems like he would've been built a bit better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine writing all those articles saying that Suns were right to pass on Luka

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the same guy that said on ESPN that Middleton is Batman and Giannis is Robin.

Yes, he seriously called the guy who just put up 50 points with amazing defense to clinch the le a Robin.

Then he doubled down on it when people tried to call him out.

No one should every listen to any basketball take Kendrick Perkins has to make. Dude would be irrelevant if KG/Allen/Pierce hadn't carried his fat ass to a ring.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Robinson ran the floor more akin to Giannis than any other big man in the league today... he wasn't a traditional back-to-the-basket type big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good points. David was more athletic and quicker. Ayton probably a little more skilled around the interior. Ayton is probably a poor man's Robinson but not that far off. Once it came time for playoff basketball Robinson's thin frame always struggled on offense while Ayton seems like he would've been built a bit better.
    I'd say he's way far off. Robinson could create his own offense and was an elite rim protector. He was an MVP, a staple in All-NBA and All-Defense, and carried the Spurs on his back for like 10 years.

I actually really like Ayton and obviously he still has time to develop, but he really disappeared in these Finals.

If he didn't have Paul or Booker feeding him the ball in his spots, he just looked invisible on offense other than a few brief spurts.

Time will tell, but Ayton has a long ways to go to be anywhere near Robinson's level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't buy the admiral comparisons. david was an athletic freak who ran the court way better than ayton does. and david was also a beast defensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kendrick Perkins trying to be the next Skip Bayless is just bizarre.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton's not half the athlete Robinson was. To this day Giannis is the only bigman in league history in the same class of athleticism as David.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you're just too young to have watched Robinson night in and night out in his prime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you're just too young to have watched Robinson night in and night out in his prime.
    that's what i was thinking; maybe some posters never really saw david in his prime. because david was a much better player-in every way. (btw, the phoenix fan base is bashing ayton today.)
    Last edited by rjv; 07-21-2021 at 10:33 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton's not half the athlete Robinson was. To this day Giannis is the only bigman in league history in the same class of athleticism as David.
    The ghost of Wilt says you forgot about him...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton does not resemble the admiral in hardly any aspect of the actual game. It was a half baked, trying to be hot take that doesn’t even make sense. It was just brain soup from a dude trying to muster up the first dominant big man that came to his mind that wasn’t shaq.

Giannis is the evolution of the framework David laid in the 90s. They have some differing strengths and weaknesses but from the standpoint of physicality, presence at the rim, open court ability, they are the 2 analogues. David was more skilled as a shooter, better fundamentally as a scorer in the half court either from the high post or the block, whereas giannis initiates more from the perimeter and has a little more switchability on defense but is most effective in the paint.

Put those dudes in their athletic primes next to each other. Compare their measurables. Look at their frames and ability in the open court. There’s never going to be a perfect comparison but it’s such a lay up as a pundit, it speaks volumes perk missed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN 'personalities' are supposed to drag small-market teams and support the big markets whenever they can. That's what their instructions are. It's a TMZ organization that couldn't care less about the actual sport.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy is tripping. Ayton doesn’t have the freakish athletic skills that DRob had, fast like a gazelle. Giannis is more like it on the athletic side, except Giannis has more guard moves. I really cannot see anyone in today’s NBA like DRob.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's really hard to compare generations. But the point that Robinson was not nearly as good when he was 21 compared to when he was 25 seemed pretty sound. Dude bulked up a good amount throughout his years and tried hard to hone his game but his athleticism was still 70% of his effectiveness and he always underperformed the alpha role in the playoffs because of it. Ayton would certainly be utilized much better in the early 90's than he is being used now a days. As another just said, time will tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ghost of Wilt says you forgot about him...
    Yeah you're right, Wilt was a better athlete than either David or Giannis. Don't know how I forgot him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, that they won yesterday doesn't mean that they also didnt play DUMBLY over key stretch in the playoffs. Let's be honest.

They looked God awful in stretches. It wasn't until Giannis realized he was doing the opposing team a HUGE favor when he shot that 3 ball (open for a reason bud!), that they actually started looking dominant. Bud also got some memo in the finals about how to make some in game adjustments like putting Holiday on Booker last night.

All that said, congrats to the Bucks. Seeing Giannis carrying that team yesterday reminded me of the 2003 finals when Timmy had that near quadruple double, while carrying a so-so supporting cast.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Perkins also said the Suns were a dynasty in the making when they went up 2-0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he didn't have Paul or Booker feeding him the ball in his spots, he just looked invisible on offense other than a few brief spurts.

Time will tell, but Ayton has a long ways to go to be anywhere near Robinson's level.
    Feeding him the ball?
    Kobme wannabe and dribble dribble dribble Paul could have set Ayton up way more imo.

Thread Information