Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Microsoft announced their own games streaming service, as well. Amazon is also playing with the idea.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/09/micr...ompe or.html

I'm not particularly excited about this since I think streaming services are for everything except television shows. Streaming services ironically restrict choice since you're at the mercy of what the service decides to feature. Content on these services can appear and disappear without warning, so if you signed up for a particular service because they had a great 70s action movie and Film Noir selection or something, there always looms a danger of it completely disappearing overnight.

Everyone loves the supposedly low price and convenience of these services, but the end road of the streaming model will result in pretty much every notable content provider having their own service, i.e. HBO streaming, AMC streaming, and whoever owns the rights to the thousands upon thousands of classic films having their own dedicated streaming service to feature such, like a 20th Century Fox Classics service. It will happen and is already happening, with Disney developing their own service. So when Universal wants to start their own service, you think they're going to give content to Netflix and Amazon for a low license fee? Or even offer it?

Same thing will happen to gaming if the streaming model takes. Ubisoft streaming, Bethesda streaming, Activision streaming, Rockstar streaming etc. Developers and publishers rely on sales obviously to make money and whatever paltry licensing fees Google or Microsoft are going to offer won't be close to what the publisher can make off a physical/digital sale. What I can see happening is Google buying up talented development houses like hotcakes.

And from a technical perspective, it won't work as promised. 4K at 60fps lag free. Yeah, okay

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no interest in game rentals when gaming is so cheap these days. It was a must when I was a kid and games were expensive but now? No way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Services like Stadia and any other company who wants to try this will go nowhere with giants like Sony and Microsoft controlling most of the gaming industry.

If both Sony and Microsoft say no to them as far as giving them right to have their exclusive games (Which they won't allow), then those company will have to rely on ty 3rd tier games and what would happen is those other free lance gaming company will ask for an arm and a leg to have their games be hosted on their platforms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Services like Stadia and any other company who wants to try this will go nowhere with giants like Sony and Microsoft controlling most of the gaming industry.

If both Sony and Microsoft say no to them as far as giving them right to have their exclusive games (Which they won't allow), then those company will have to rely on ty 3rd tier games and what would happen is those other free lance gaming company will ask for an arm and a leg to have their games be hosted on their platforms.
    "microsoft exclusives"...

Halo isn't what it used to be with free battle royale games dominating the FPS market
    Gears is good
    Forza... oh no we can't get rights to forza? oh well we'll just get rights to the other dozen equally good racing games

if google starts making high quality first party games, they'd probably leap xbox tbh.

my main concern with stadia is what mid mentioned, quality of your gaming experience will be subject to internet connectivity/strength which is prone to es and issues. and not everybody pays good money for high speed internet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "microsoft exclusives"...

Halo isn't what it used to be with free battle royale games dominating the FPS market
    Gears is good
    Forza... oh no we can't get rights to forza? oh well we'll just get rights to the other dozen equally good racing games

if google starts making high quality first party games, they'd probably leap xbox tbh.

my main concern with stadia is what mid mentioned, quality of your gaming experience will be subject to internet connectivity/strength which is prone to es and issues. and not everybody pays good money for high speed internet
    It's going to be a task. You encounter about a 5ms-20ms ping connected to your closest ISP server, which will then have to connect to Google Stadia's server, introducing another 5ms-20ms ping. So right off, you're at 10ms of lag best case scenario, which isn't realistic since those low pings are usually achieved under speedtest conditions which aren't performed under any substantial data load. A simple button press will now have to travel miles to Stadia's cloud server with the corresponding action having to be sent miles back to you to finally be rendered on your television (and modern tvs even in game mode add another 10-20ms of lag).

I'm thinking the process will, at best, take about 100ms. Okay for casual games, but anything needing precision will be tough to play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's going to be a task. You encounter about a 5ms-20ms ping connected to your closest ISP server, which will then have to connect to Google Stadia's server, introducing another 5ms-20ms ping. So right off, you're at 10ms of lag best case scenario, which isn't realistic since those low pings are usually achieved under speedtest conditions which aren't performed under any substantial data load. A simple button press will now have to travel miles to Stadia's cloud server with the corresponding action having to be sent miles back to you to finally be rendered on your television (and modern tvs even in game mode add another 10-20ms of lag).

I'm thinking the process will, at best, take about 100ms. Okay for casual games, but anything needing precision will be tough to play.
    and some lag/issues are expected when playing online multiplayer games. but people are gonna have to deal with this when playing some single player campaign too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is bad for sony.

Sure sony might still be the most profitble gaming company but Amazon and Google will take a decent chunk of their business.

The issue is that sony is heavily reliant on the gaming industry while Microsoft, Amazon, Google..its only a smaller part of their business.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is bad for sony.

Sure sony might still be the most profitble gaming company but Amazon and Google will take a decent chunk of their business.

The issue is that sony is heavily reliant on the gaming industry while Microsoft, Amazon, Google..its only a smaller part of their business.
    This hardly would affect them. They could shutter their streaming services and still be way ahead in terms of not losing money.

With their Playstation Now service (Which is a ripoff anyways) they're only making money. They're not depending on that to keep afloat. It's more of an extra money revenue.

I tried that once it I had a not so good experience. The lagging, bugs and all that comes with an online dependent service is just not worth it right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is bad for sony.

Sony should be fine since their gaming business model is built around exclusives. People buy Playstation for God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sony should be fine since their gaming business model is built around exclusives. People buy Playstation for God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, etc.
    The exclusives are just there to get you to pick the platform while the real money comes from them getting 30 cents on the dollar for every Call of Duty, FIFA, NBA 2k, Madden, Battlefield, etc. sale, including microtransactions. The great non-monetized single player exclusives won't make sense financially for Sony if people are playing the big money makers on Stadia.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beta coming in November, with a full release scheduled in 2020. Promising 60fps at 4k with full 7.1 surround at 35mbps. . I'll believe that when I see it. I have nearly 500mbps speed and still suffer lag for the most basic browsing activity.

https://www.gamesradar.com/google-st...es-controller/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    face planted right outta the gates.

RIP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Macroblock compression is going to be a huge problem for them...

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PS now is pretty great, I can't believe I never heard of it till recently, gonna be able to play most of those great Playstation exclusives for just $60.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think this thing is a flop. Thank Christ. Streaming services for any entertainment medium are cancer. The fewer the better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think this thing is a flop. Thank Christ. Streaming services for any entertainment medium are cancer. The fewer the better.
    Not the right time.. But calling it cancer is a stretch. No one really knows yet if stream gaming is decent or not until we get a full picture

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the right time.. But calling it cancer is a stretch. No one really knows yet if stream gaming is decent or not until we get a full picture
    Even if the quality is fine, steaming services are a cancer because they give content providers more leverage in the producer/consumer relationship. When streaming, you're forever "renting," and content providers can choose what to host and remove on a whim. The streaming service model will also inevitably lead to a total fracturing of everything. You just won't need Netflix and Amazon to watch all your favorite shows and movies, you're going to eventually need Disney streaming, HBO streaming, Universal streaming, and so on and on. Same thing will happen with gaming. Blizzard Streaming, Ubisoft Streaming, Sony Streaming, Rockstar Streaming, From Software Streaming, etc. And Nvidia has just announced their competing streaming service, so it's already happening .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if the quality is fine, steaming services are a cancer because they give content providers more leverage in the producer/consumer relationship. When streaming, you're forever "renting," and content providers can choose what to host and remove on a whim. The streaming service model will also inevitably lead to a total fracturing of everything. You just won't need Netflix and Amazon to watch all your favorite shows and movies, you're going to eventually need Disney streaming, HBO streaming, Universal streaming, and so on and on. Same thing will happen with gaming. Blizzard Streaming, Ubisoft Streaming, Sony Streaming, Rockstar Streaming, From Software Streaming, etc. And Nvidia has just announced their competing streaming service, so it's already happening .
    Good for some consumers. If Rockstar offering 9.99 a month and i expect to play two full games in a year from them....Doesnt sound like a bad deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    plus you can cheat now. Buy 3 months of service worth 27.99 Play the full game and cancel

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for some consumers. If Rockstar offering 9.99 a month and i expect to play two full games in a year from them....Doesnt sound like a bad deal.
    It's a bad deal because streaming will offer worse quality and gameplay (the lag issue won't be easily solved), requires you to always be online, you never own the game, and cuts out the used game market, where single player les like GTA or Red Dead can be bought for under 20.00 in a couple of months after release.

Oh, and they'll get around people signing up for a couple of months, playing the biggest releases, and then cancelling by either requiring people to sign up for 6 months minimum or actually charging for new releases. Sure, the small 9.99 month fee will get you unlimited access to the back catalog, but expect to pay for whatever the company's hot new game is. That's actually how Stadia works. 9.99 per month, but not every game will be available for free. Here's the list. You see you still have to pay full price for newer games and get 2013 games and such like Tomb Raider for "free" with your membership.

https://www.androidauthority.com/goo...s-list-995367/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once gaming goes straight streaming I'm checking out of playing new . I hate the idea of not owning my games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once gaming goes straight streaming I'm checking out of playing new . I hate the idea of not owning my games.
    Yeah, it's a ty model, but people erringly think streaming of any kind somehow liberates you from cable companies, record companies, or whatever else. It doesn't. If the cord cutting apocalypse eventually happens, the response from content providers will simply be to have a dedicated streaming service for every channel. So instead of paying 130ish month for all your CBSes, NBCs, Foxes, ESPNs, MLB, NBA, NFL networks, A&Es, AMCs, History Channels and so on, you'll have to pay 9.99 per month each for probably 20 different streaming services depending on what you watch. Millennials are tv show addicts, so they're going to get burned the most when the eventual response against their cord cutting happens . Like so:

But the cord-cutting practice is starting to backfire. What was once a movement against corporate greed has become an opportunity for movie studio moguls to fleece customers with the allure of original content.
    The latest streaming service is Disney Plus. It hit the market Nov. 12 and promised access to collections from Fox, Pixar, Marvel and National Geographic, all the while allowing subscribers to stream on multiple devices.
    https://www.clintonnewsrecord.com/op...ng-to-backfire

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Sony not lock your games up if you're not online?

Been noticing that games I buy off the store have a lock beneath the le of a game while I'm offline. Horsehit.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    CODEX has had games on demand for years, I'll stick with them tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's a ty model, but people erringly think streaming of any kind somehow liberates you from cable companies, record companies, or whatever else. It doesn't. If the cord cutting apocalypse eventually happens, the response from content providers will simply be to have a dedicated streaming service for every channel. So instead of paying 130ish month for all your CBSes, NBCs, Foxes, ESPNs, MLB, NBA, NFL networks, A&Es, AMCs, History Channels and so on, you'll have to pay 9.99 per month each for probably 20 different streaming services depending on what you watch. Millennials are tv show addicts, so they're going to get burned the most when the eventual response against their cord cutting happens . Like so:

https://www.clintonnewsrecord.com/op...ng-to-backfire
    I don't know why anyone would expect cord-cutting to be cheaper if they want access to every channel. The argument I have always heard is people hate being stuck with huge bundles. Of course a lot of people are morons who just say they hate bundles because they're expensive but still want all the content. I don't buy Millennials are TV addicts, certainly not at the level Gen X'ers or especially Boomers are.

Thread Information