Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-summ...summer-league/

The Spurs went 0-3 in SLC but there were a couple notable performers, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp.

Besides Primo, I was really disappointed with Spurs showing, especially after Tre and Samanic dominated last year. The absence of Tre as a pure facilitator was evident. And it makes me realize how much a steal Tre was as 41st pick. I’m hoping to see Tre back asap and hopefully create more opportunities especially to Wieskamp. He just look lost out there.

I’m impressed with Primo’s advanced game at 18 yes old. I still don’t agree with his pick as a lottery pick. If he was at 26th, I would be ecstatic. But his potential is high in a year or two, so by the end of the day, knowing he would be somebody especial is exciting.

I’m somewhat disappointed with Devin. He should’ve dominated, again especially compared to Tre in his rookie year. I also expected him to have gotten bigger, stronger. He’s a player I was really impressed last year with his poise and smooth scoring. But I wanted to see more dominance this year, especially against G-Leaguers. He’s a little behind on his development by what I’m seen so far. I want him to get hungry and call his numbers more in Las Vegas, otherwise he might find himself buried in the rotation cones regular season.

Renfro, I expected more lock-on defender and help defense. Again, I’m disappointed. I was rooting for him to be called up last year, but with what he was showing, he doesn’t stand a chance.

I cannot comment on the rest. I just don’t see the team in sync. I guess not having Tre really hurt controlling any sense of direction. I hope Tre could join them soon or it would be a long Summer League for our Austin Spurs.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    timvp when r u going to give me my props & admit to everyone i am the best talent scout on spurstalk? u can check my post history on predicting player outcomes for the spurs......let the primo grade be a lesson to all who judge a pick early........fyi these mock draft sites & pre draft scouting videos do not watch every minute of every game stop taking their write ups as gospel.........

highlights/write ups on mock sites & film break down youtube videos r not accurate.........if u want to know the real story ask someone who watched every ncaa game on tv......
    any real college basketball fan wouldve told u primo was a lock to be a top 5 pick next year...........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp when r u going to give me my props & admit to everyone i am the best talent scout on spurstalk? u can check my post history on predicting player outcomes for the spurs......let the primo grade be a lesson to all who judge a pick early........fyi these mock draft sites & pre draft scouting videos do not watch every minute of every game stop taking their write ups as gospel.........

highlights/write ups on mock sites & film break down youtube videos r not accurate.........if u want to know the real story ask someone who watched every ncaa game on tv......
    any real college basketball fan wouldve told u primo was a lock to be a top 5 pick next year...........
    If what you said is true, that Primo would be a lock at top 5 next year, based on the Spurs not needing an immediate contributor this year, on a rebuilding team, then selecting Primo this year even as lottery pick is warranted. I can see how our scouts could get excited about him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades timvp.

Can't take too much away from these games with the only legit PG on the roster being hurt. That said, I'm still not that high on Primo but he does flash potential. IMO, it's gonna come down to him either growing another 2-3 inches or developing more athleticism to be more than a bench player. I was impressed by Vassell's defense in all facets. If he can ever become consistent from three he'll be one of the best roleplayers in the NBA ala LDN. Wieskamp is the one who most missed Jones. Wanna see how he looks when he has a true PG playing alongside him. Didn't really care for the rest; Jeffries can be an NBA player if he ever learns to shoot decently but the rest are fodder.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the narratives, Timvp.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Labissiere was such a disappointment. I was really hoping something good would come from him. Love what I see about Primo though!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon already back in Vegas to watch the summer league guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Muchas gracias for another great writeup, timvp. Very helpful for yokels like me who didn’t see any of the games.

About Primo telegraphing passes, I wonder if that’s only a strength issue. Kids will do that when they don’t yet have enough muscle to throw the ball with power, with a short motion. I say “only” because the problem could disappear as he naturally develops more, and with some targeted training. He might already be strong enough, and it’s just a bad habit carried over from when he was younger and weaker. Anyway, it sounds correctable. He really does sound like a highly intriguing prospect, hope everything works out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t think I saw a letter grade for Primo, I’m guessing it was A+? Vassell and Primo are surrounded by garbage, unless Tre comes back I don’t see us beating many teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A bit high for Vassell but thanks for putting this together

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

CoJo Blair Hanga core

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you just look at the shooting line you’d think vassell struggled to create or find good looks, whatever. He missed a lot of shots he is capable of making, looked rusty and gassed for the first game back, had a rough shooting stretch in the 2nd and 3rd quarter of the last game, but looked smooth and creative as a scorer.

He looks even more explosive, been super active sniffing out put backs and catching the defense sleeping, footwork looks good. Just needs to keep shaking the rust off and the shots will fall. He does look to have added a good amount of weight and muscle since we last saw him, he might have to play himself down in weight as he conditions and gets back to game speed.

Primo is just legit and the kid obviously has it. No use litigating trade down scenarios and what ifs at this point. Enjoy the new toy.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo's step back jumper is ridiculously smooth for some one his age entering NBA. His form from catch to release is great.

I do agree with the eye test over the concern with his ability to beat his defender due to lack of burst.

You mention the high dribble with Primo and that is there as well but nothing as extreme as Murray and looks to be something corrected fairly easily.

Didn't really pay much attention to majority of the SL roster.

Vassell authored a lotore touches this go around. Looked much more NBA ready with his mid range. Showing the potential of being more than a 3 and D type. Just not there yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the write up fam.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Tim

As far as Primo the dude is so smooth as Dejaunte likes to say “He passes the Baller Test” and what I mean he just know what to do on offense and defense he does not act or look like he doesn’t know what to do. We have guys that still look lost after two or three years with the big club. I am really hoping that he stays in the G League for awhile and let him be the leader on and off the court I really think that will help his development.

As far as Vassell I really hope he continues to push him self we really need for him to be more then a 3&D guy if we want our rebuild to be faster. He is one guy who really would have benefited from being the man in G League and also getting practice. One note of concern is him being out of shape which is weird since everything about him says he is a GYM rat - My only thoughts is maybe he had an injury that restricted him from running or being in basketball shape.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Tim

As far as Primo the dude is so smooth as Dejaunte likes to say “He passes the Baller Test” and what I mean he just know what to do on offense and defense he does not act or look like he doesn’t know what to do. We have guys that still look lost after two or three years with the big club. I am really hoping that he stays in the G League for awhile and let him be the leader on and off the court I really think that will help his development.

As far as Vassell I really hope he continues to push him self we really need for him to be more then a 3&D guy if we want our rebuild to be faster. He is one guy who really would have benefited from being the man in G League and also getting practice. One note of concern is him being out of shape which is weird since everything about him says he is a GYM rat - My only thoughts is maybe he had an injury that restricted him from running or being in basketball shape.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Besides Primo, I was really disappointed with Spurs showing, especially after Tre and Samanic dominated last year. The absence of Tre as a pure facilitator was evident. And it makes me realize how much a steal Tre was as 41st pick.
    There was no summer league last year. You're referencing the G-League bubble. Summer league is a higher level of play than G-League, so a direct comparison isn't really fair.

I’m somewhat disappointed with Devin. He should’ve dominated, again especially compared to Tre in his rookie year. I also expected him to have gotten bigger, stronger. He’s a player I was really impressed last year with his poise and smooth scoring. But I wanted to see more dominance this year, especially against G-Leaguers. He’s a little behind on his development by what I’m seen so far. I want him to get hungry and call his numbers more in Las Vegas, otherwise he might find himself buried in the rotation cones regular season.
    Tbh, I don't think Vassell could call his number any more than he did. Shooting 47 times in 54 minutes would make Kobe blush. You're right that he didn't show enough to avoid getting buried in the rotation but I can't say lack of aggression was an issue.

I guess not having Tre really hurt controlling any sense of direction. I hope Tre could join them soon or it would be a long Summer League for our Austin Spurs.
    Yeah, it'll be really interesting to see Jones in summer league. If he can play as well as he did in the bubble, then the Spurs might have to pencil him into the real rotation.

Then again, part of me wishes Primo could run point guard the rest of the way. I still think he's a secondary playmaker who mostly plays off the ball as an NBA player but him running point guard is invaluable to his development.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I didn't think anything of the "conditioning work" DNP to start summer league (I thought the Spurs didn't want him playing in a back-to-back right out of the chute) but then he asked out multiple times after only playing like a six-minute stretch and that had me wondering if there really was an issue. Another explanation is that he was creating offensively so much and flying around so much on defense and he's not accustomed to using so much energy on both ends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t think I saw a letter grade for Primo, I’m guessing it was A+? Vassell and Primo are surrounded by garbage, unless Tre comes back I don’t see us beating many teams.
    I gave Primo an A-. (Grades are at the end.)

If Primo played this way as a normal 20- or 21-year-old prospect, he probably would have gotten a B- or a C+. But not only is he the age of most incoming college freshmen, he wasn't allowed to run the offense or shoot midrange shots at Alabama ... so those a two big factors that need to be accounted for. His role is new and he's super young so it's impressive that he was able to look even halfway competent. A ton to work on, obviously, but the Spurs have to be happy with how he's played so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I gave Primo an A-. (Grades are at the end.)

If Primo played this way as a normal 20- or 21-year-old prospect, he probably would have gotten a B- or a C+. But not only is he the age of most incoming college freshmen, he wasn't allowed to run the offense or shoot midrange shots at Alabama ... so those a two big factors that need to be accounted for. His role is new and he's super young so it's impressive that he was able to look even halfway competent. A ton to work on, obviously, but the Spurs have to be happy with how he's played so far.
    Primo seems to play up to the level of his compe ion, almost effortlessly, almost unconsciously. That's a pretty good sign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo's step back jumper is ridiculously smooth for some one his age entering NBA. His form from catch to release is great.

I do agree with the eye test over the concern with his ability to beat his defender due to lack of burst.
    If you have a good step-back jumper, you don't need such a great first step (or burst).

Because your defender is already going the wrong way when you take that first step.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades OP

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte said Renfro can shoot it just does not go in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell looks like he was instructed to find his shot any time he could. It does seem unnatural to him, but they want to see him try to isolate and generate on his own. Tbh, it's not his game right now -- he's used to team offense and he didn't look great. But here's where you see what he can do, what he looks like.

His conditioning is another matter. He looked active and into it once he got going. Maybe let himself go a little in the last couple of months.

Primo has so much promise. I don't see why you'd drop him letter grades if he was 19 or 20. Almost any player entering first pro compe ion would have some yips and hiccups. Except he didn't have any yips, really. He requires a good amount of work on his handles and so on, but the dude doesn't even look close to concerned he doesn't belong here. I can only imagine how much he'll belong when he actually is 19 or 20.

Thread Information