Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    I'm going to go buy some camping gear today, but because I've never bought this kind of stuff, I'm not sure what I should look out for.

As far as a tent goes, will a small 9x9 tent be fine for just Jess and myself? Do I need to get a nice one or can I just drop 30 bucks at Academy and have one that won't fall apart after first time I use it?

What kind of other camping "accessories" should I buy?

You Belinelli Believe It! dougp's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I'm going to go buy some camping gear today, but because I've never bought this kind of stuff, I'm not sure what I should look out for.

As far as a tent goes, will a small 9x9 tent be fine for just Jess and myself? Do I need to get a nice one or can I just drop 30 bucks at Academy and have one that won't fall apart after first time I use it?

What kind of other camping "accessories" should I buy?
    Do you intend on going camping again/making it a regular thing?

I vote go with the good stuff - mostly because good camping equipment can make the difference between your weekend sucking and not.

Tent
    Sleeping Bags (Duh, but make sure you get some that will be comfortable in Texas weather, check the ratings)
    Something to sleep on - Since I'm pretty sure the two of you want to sleep next to eachother, look into getting an inflatable air matress or a cot to sleep two. Though you'd likely break the cot if you decide to have sex.
    Cheap Ground Cloth - normally just a plastic sheet to go under the tent to protect against water/dew/bugs.

Small Dining Tarp - something you can cook/eat under ... best during the middle of the day and if it decides to rain.
    2 Burner Propane stove - and some extra fuel tanks
    Chairs - cause sitting on the ground sucks

I know a lot of that sounds obvious &/or expensive, and excessive ... but you'll thank me because it will be comfortable and enjoyable.

Stand-up philosopher CharlieMac's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dont go cheap. I did that twice and regretted it each time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't forget a lantern, bugspray, TP, and be sure to find a heavy rock to put on your food box or ice chest (if you decide not to put it back in the car)so animals don't get into it...first hand experience haha.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Don't forget a lantern, bugspray, TP, and be sure to find a heavy rock to put on your food box or ice chest (if you decide not to put it back in the car)so animals don't get into it...first hand experience haha.
    Well if they're going to a drive-up camping spot, just throw the food back in the car

, if theyr'e going primitive, don't bring half the I listed cause it will be waaaaaaaay too heavy. And for some reason I always forget bugspray and this ends up happening.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    For a good "starter" setup, I would advise the following:

Tents are for sleeping, changing clothes, and getting out of the weather. Thats it. You are going camping to be outside, not to coop yourself up in a portable "house".

Go with medium quality 2 person dome tent...you can get one at academy for under $100. Don't go with the cheapest and don't go with the most expensive. Dome tents are lighter and stronger than the "square' tents and will stand up to higher winds.

Don't go the "cot" route...spend the money on 2 high quality "self inflating" pads...you can google search them at REI to see what I am talking about...they roll tight for packing/storage but are comfortable to sleep on. You can put two together for a double bed.

If you are just going to be "summer" camping for now then don't waste money on sleeping bags. You can make a bed up with sheets and a light blanket and be a lot more comfortable.

Get a couple of the propane bottle double mantle lanterns...they give off a lot of light and are easy to use. The conventional "pump up" lanterns are OK but guaranteed to not work at some point when you want them...they have seals on the pump that can leak and they dry out over time.

They also have stoves that use the same propane bottles. Same advise goes for them...the pump up kind will screw up and you are going camping to have fun, not mess with equipment that doesn't work when you want it to.

Get two or three of the fabric folding chairs that store in the bag...more comfortable, durable, and they have beerholders in the arms...LOL

Get two of the "five day" Igloo coolers...you can't take too much ice and you can put boards/plywood across between them to make a usable table...

Thats all you need to get started...everything else is just gravy and more stuff to haul...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Fist my meng needed a telescope now a tent? Dang hommie do you know something we don't?
    Is an Asteroid coming?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Make sure you get a credit card so you can rent a motel room.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Make sure you get a credit card so you can rent a motel room.
    Probably the best advice in the thread.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    For a good "starter" setup, I would advise the following:

Tents are for sleeping, changing clothes, and getting out of the weather. Thats it. You are going camping to be outside, not to coop yourself up in a portable "house".

Go with medium quality 2 person dome tent...you can get one at academy for under $100. Don't go with the cheapest and don't go with the most expensive. Dome tents are lighter and stronger than the "square' tents and will stand up to higher winds.

Don't go the "cot" route...spend the money on 2 high quality "self inflating" pads...you can google search them at REI to see what I am talking about...they roll tight for packing/storage but are comfortable to sleep on. You can put two together for a double bed.

If you are just going to be "summer" camping for now then don't waste money on sleeping bags. You can make a bed up with sheets and a light blanket and be a lot more comfortable.

Get a couple of the propane bottle double mantle lanterns...they give off a lot of light and are easy to use. The conventional "pump up" lanterns are OK but guaranteed to not work at some point when you want them...they have seals on the pump that can leak and they dry out over time.

They also have stoves that use the same propane bottles. Same advise goes for them...the pump up kind will screw up and you are going camping to have fun, not mess with equipment that doesn't work when you want it to.

Get two or three of the fabric folding chairs that store in the bag...more comfortable, durable, and they have beerholders in the arms...LOL

Get two of the "five day" Igloo coolers...you can't take too much ice and you can put boards/plywood across between them to make a usable table...

Thats all you need to get started...everything else is just gravy and more stuff to haul...
    I was hoping you'd respond to the thread, I knew you'd have good advice. Thanks man.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Manny

You might want to checkout Campmor, I've bought a few things online there and their prices seem reasonable.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Manny get one of those tents that pop up in 5 minutes, save yourself some frustration. I have been trying to get Kori to make a camping gtg for years. If you have any camping gear you don't want later let us know I want to go camping also. I need coleman stove and a tent also.
    Do a search on Camping gtg topics you will find a list of cool camping sites. make sure you call ahead of time they seem to be booked.
    I have two sleeping bags if you need them, so save your cash and call me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Manny get one of those tents that pop up in 5 minutes, save yourself some frustration. I have been trying to get Kori to make a camping gtg for years. If you have any camping gear you don't want later let us know I want to go camping also. I need coleman stove and a tent also.
    Do a search on Camping gtg topics you will find a list of cool camping sites. make sure you call ahead of time they seem to be booked.
    I have two sleeping bags if you need them, so save your cash and call me.
    I'm in

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I wanted to do a camping GTG last year but not very many people were interested. I haven't been camping in long long time. Is there somewhere to camp where we could go fishing too?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    In a river or a lake? Or Sal er?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    In a river or a lake? Or Sal er?
    I don't really mind any of them. I was just wondering if there's fishing to go along with camping around here.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You can pretty much camp at all of the lakes in the area. So I'm sure you'd be able to fish there. I still want to go on a charter deep sea boat.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Guadalupe State Park is real nice, or Kerville-Schreiner ... both have fishing, though more along the lines of perch jerkin'.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well if they're going to a drive-up camping spot, just throw the food back in the car

, if theyr'e going primitive, don't bring half the I listed cause it will be waaaaaaaay too heavy. And for some reason I always forget bugspray and this ends up happening.

HOLY ! What in the bit you? I think that would end my camping days.

What should you buy? Well, I can tell you what NOT to buy. Couple of my friends did a Spring Break trip to some obscure site West of SA. They "bought" wacky tabbacky. That wasn't a good buy. 30 minutes into the trip, having set up tents, sleeping bags/mattresses, a fire, cooking gear, fishing lines cause dinner was biting, and everything else, they chilled on a rock in a stream, fishing for dinner, tokin' and minding their business, when up comes the rangers. Some other campers turned in the hippies for blowing dope. They all went to jail for 5 joints. So...leave the mota off your shopping list.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Thats ing weak man. Out in the woods and smoking a J and someone reports you? Thats so weak.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Guadalupe State Park is real nice, or Kerville-Schreiner ... both have fishing, though more along the lines of perch jerkin'.
    The Guadalupe is practically dry. Flows are down to 12cfs at the 281 bridge which is like pissing on a flat rock.

If you want to hardcore camp and don't mind eating, drinking, and sleeping sand the beach is a great place to camp/fish. Go across the Kennedy Causeway at Corpus and keep going straight after you hit the island...there is a road off to the left right before you get to the entrance to the national seashore. It's good fishing, free, and still close enough to civilization to grab a whataburger if you are tired of eating sand. I have caught big trout and redfish there as well as whiting and shark.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    A lot of mesquitos ... a LOT.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

What should you buy? Well, I can tell you what NOT to buy. Couple of my friends did a Spring Break trip to some obscure site West of SA. They "bought" wacky tabbacky. That wasn't a good buy. 30 minutes into the trip, having set up tents, sleeping bags/mattresses, a fire, cooking gear, fishing lines cause dinner was biting, and everything else, they chilled on a rock in a stream, fishing for dinner, tokin' and minding their business, when up comes the rangers. Some other campers turned in the hippies for blowing dope. They all went to jail for 5 joints. So...leave the mota off your shopping list.
    Ditto on Pedernales State Park. Those friggen rangers are sneaky. I got busted there for lewdness in public about a mile upstream from where all the people and campgrounds were. We were just trying to have a little good clean sex on a rock in the middle of the river when those perverts nabbed us.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Guadalupe is practically dry. Flows are down to 12cfs at the 281 bridge which is like pissing on a flat rock.

If you want to hardcore camp and don't mind eating, drinking, and sleeping sand the beach is a great place to camp/fish. Go across the Kennedy Causeway at Corpus and keep going straight after you hit the island...there is a road off to the left right before you get to the entrance to the national seashore. It's good fishing, free, and still close enough to civilization to grab a whataburger if you are tired of eating sand. I have caught big trout and redfish there as well as whiting and shark.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Whats the point of camping if you can't and get high?

Thread Information