Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I’m willing to bet that Pop is staying for another season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bitter sweet. I liked her. I think this makes it harder for her to later make the jump to NBA, since she’ll be seen as women's coach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the spurs have had Pops replacement in line for years, that’s why none of our Assistants have stuck around very long lately imo
    Feels Like it’s been Bill Self for some time. Where there is smoke there is fire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The next coach will be Brian Wrong's twin brother, Brad Mistake.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hardy and Becky leaving brings closer to this possibility. The rumor was the front runners were Hardy and Manu ( if he wants ) with Brett as the lead assistant. Would not also mind the Villanova coach.

Where did you hear this? I always wanted Manu to be a head coach, but I thought he had absolutely no interest in it. I'd be really happy, but I thought he didn't want to get into coaching at all. I think he'd be a great teacher, but not sure he'd enjoy the day to day stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Report: Spurs assistant Becky Hammon to become next Las Vegas Aces head coach

Congratulations and good luck Coach Becky. Next stop, NBA head coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu will replace Pop in the near future.
    Manu won’t even take a full time assists position, because he doesn’t want to travel. His kids are still kids.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next coach will be someone the players will have a ton of respect for already. I don’t see that person on the coaching staff right now. I’d figure Matt Nielsen would be that guy, but I rarely see anyone except our centers interact with him. We’ve seen Johnson sub in as a coach but he doesn’t seem like he does anything spectacular (to be fair, Becky didn’t either and she’s just extremely overhyped on this board). Highly doubt it’s Manu. I think either Pop is going to be here for awhile or the hiring is going to come from left field but for someone with a lot of credentials. And when I say “a lot of credentials” I don’t necessarily mean NBA head coaching experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get that money, Big Time Becks.

Lmk when the old man is no longer around and I'll care about this team more tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get that money, Big Time Becks.

Lmk when the old man is no longer around and I'll care about this team more tbh
    The old man is going to coach through a Ouija board from the after life so let's not hold our breaths that he's ever going to let it go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The old man is going to coach through a Ouija board from the after life so let's not hold our breaths that he's ever going to let it go.

Probably right though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. Her calls down the stretch of games were on point. I remember seeing Kyle Anderson spray champagne on her. Lots of joy.

I have this sick feeling that Pop will go down the Sir Alex Ferguson route. He chose David Moyes as the new manager. It didn't turn out. United has had 4 full time managers since Sir Alex retired in 2013.

It's not like that at all. Moyes is a of a coach it's just that man u is run like . The Spurs are not man u, we are west ham, Moyes current club.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The moment that Duncan was the lead coach over Becky when pop was out of a game I feel this was clear. Frankly, the coaching novel on the Spurs is lower right now than it has been at any pointbin pops tenure. I think Becky knew she was not going to get a head coaching gig in the NBA. Maybe she's not good enough, but I see tons of coaches get opportunities left and right. Jason Kidd anyone?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for her, I hope it works out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can always bring her back, but I don’t think they will. I don’t blame her, I just think it’s a poor career choice. A lot of WNBA players and coach want to take her down a notch. Jealous of all the attention she got with the Spurs job stint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad. Both because I liked the idea of Becky succeeding Pop, and because this is a strong signal towards the "Pop isn't retiring next season" camp.

at posters talking about this being a "demotion" or some and saying she should've gone the college route. College, over the best professional women's basketball league in the world? Where she can be HC of the team that she played for, and who retired her number? Lmao. And the only apparent negative for the WNBA is that it operates at a loss. Americans, and making everything entirely and solely about money... Iconic duo.

I don't doubt that she'll keep the NBA HC dream alive and will probably say so the first time an interviewer asks her about it - though I'm not too optimistic that she'll ever get it, especially given the recent blunders of the Blazers FO leaking on her and stuff. It's a steeper climb than people think.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it’s the coaching and GM positions she’s taking over.

Lots of incels in this thread raging over how irrelevant the WNBA and Becky is. Yeesh. Get help.

Anyway, if it’s really both positions - she should take it. Wish her luck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whats pops record against former spurs player coaches?...and i dont believe in that no mercy rule to let new coach get a win...a win is a win at the end of the day, they dont care how the new coach gets that win...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    She obviously wouldn't have done this without an inkling that Pop isn't on the verge of retirement, she was not going to be his heir apparent or likely to get a head coaching job anywhere in the league anytime soon.

I don't care either way (she turned me off by not explaining how decision for not kneeling for the anthem in the bubble; though part of me wanted her to be the heir apparent just to piss off misogynistic pricks), but I get the sense the Spurs are relieved that they get out of having to deal with the PR hit and fall out of having to tell my far their longest tenured assistant that she was not going be Pop's successor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw someone mention Bill Self as Pop’s potential heir apparent. That was a long-running rumor for a while due to his close relationship with RC Buford, but he just signed a lifetime contract to remain Kansas’ HC so I don’t see that ever happening, especially not anytime soon for a Spurs team that isn’t even a Top-14 team in the league and that has no franchise player on the roster.

It’ll be someone out of left field whenever it does happen imo. Someone with a lot of experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw someone mention Bill Self as Pop’s potential heir apparent. That was a long-running rumor for a while due to his close relationship with RC Buford, but he just signed a lifetime contract to remain Kansas’ HC so I don’t see that ever happening, especially not anytime soon for a Spurs team that isn’t even a Top-14 team in the league and that has no franchise player on the roster.

It’ll be someone out of left field whenever it does happen imo. Someone with a lot of experience.
    Vinney Del Negro tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad. Both because I liked the idea of Becky succeeding Pop, and because this is a strong signal towards the "Pop isn't retiring next season" camp.

at posters talking about this being a "demotion" or some and saying she should've gone the college route. College, over the best professional women's basketball league in the world? Where she can be HC of the team that she played for, and who retired her number? Lmao. And the only apparent negative for the WNBA is that it operates at a loss. Americans, and making everything entirely and solely about money... Iconic duo.

I don't doubt that she'll keep the NBA HC dream alive and will probably say so the first time an interviewer asks her about it - though I'm not too optimistic that she'll ever get it, especially given the recent blunders of the Blazers FO leaking on her and stuff. It's a steeper climb than people think.
    That's like saying the best special Olympics curling team South of the Mason Dixon line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The moment that Duncan was the lead coach over Becky when pop was out of a game I feel this was clear. Frankly, the coaching novel on the Spurs is lower right now than it has been at any pointbin pops tenure. I think Becky knew she was not going to get a head coaching gig in the NBA. Maybe she's not good enough, but I see tons of coaches get opportunities left and right. Jason Kidd anyone?
    It was the right move. Duncan is a God-tier NBA great with a playing resume alone dwarfing Hammond's 4 year asst NBA run. It would have been a huge slight had pop put Hammond over TD, a man he owes his legacy to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go Becky Go. I won't watch a single game in that substandard, woke, sjw, basketball league. However, I will look at the standings now and then. Hopefully, the Aces will be at the top.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I’m willing to bet that Pop is staying for another season.
    I think he is staying now also.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s one of the reasons she took the Las Vegas Aces job also. I mean, her getting a chance to be GM and Head coach of an already good team and one that her jersey was retired by also has to mean a lot to her

Thread Information