View Poll Results: is PG a legit Superstar?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top 10 player for the next few years

12 37.50%
  • Perennial All Star at best

10 31.25%
  • About to blow up, Top 3 player

10 31.25%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I already have an opinion about PG who i love to death, but i wanna hear yours. do you see this guy becoming a superstar that can lead a team to multiple les?

throughout his career, he's been a pretty solid rebounder and decent scorer, ok defender but nothing to write home about. this year, so far, his PPG averaged has increased and his shooting percentage has improved.

can he become that player that will compete with lebron in the next few years? or is all this a facade playing under a great system? (24 ppg, 26.0 PER etc)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dunno about les, but his taking the next step this season

probably as good as young tmac or young kobe b4 the rape case

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George is an OK defender, nothing to write home about?..

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    dunno about les, but his taking the next step this season

probably as good as young tmac or young kobe b4 the rape case
    Interesting. I don't think he's in the same league offensively as Mac or Kobe but then again he's young and has athleticism similar to those so I see your point. He also appears to have a pretty good work ethic, something Tmac never had.

Not sold on his shooting though, Kobe or Tmac always had pretty good jumpers in their 4th season.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

new york heat fan tin bricks

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He's Ok, 2nd Team all defense good.

Keep in mind, we're talking about Superstar level type of defensive impact. They're pretty much scoped under a different microscope. Kobe, Wade, Lebron heck even Pierce were all pretty great defenders at some point of their careers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. I don't think he's in the same league offensively as Mac or Kobe but then again he's young and has athleticism similar to those so I see your point. He also appears to have a pretty good work ethic, something Tmac never had.

Not sold on his shooting though, Kobe or Tmac always had pretty good jumpers in their 4th season.
    only shot selection is his problem, if he can limit the chucking continuous possessions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    currently top10 player imo

whether his top3-5 depends on interpretation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always thought he was vastly overrated, tbh... but he's been playing much better the last two seasons... he still need that legitimization that comes with reaching a Finals or even winning one...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    only shot selection is his problem, if he can limit the chucking continuous possessions
    and ball handling, george needs a lot on work on that, mcgrady and kobe were amazing ball handlers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's Ok, 2nd Team all defense good.

Keep in mind, we're talking about Superstar level type of defensive impact. They're pretty much scoped under a different microscope. Kobe, Wade, Lebron heck even Pierce were all pretty great defenders at some point of their careers.
    Statistically and using virtually any tool to analyze, George is a more valuable defender than any version of those players other than Heat Lebron and maybe 1999-2000 Kobe, tbh..

All those guys are levels above George as offensive players, though..

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    While I do believe George is an excellent all around player, he's severely overrated nowadays. With Indiana's strong early season run, George is being placed on a pedestal as the next big thing when clearly he's not. Not yet ready IMO at least.

When Granger comes back, expect his numbers to drop and when teams starts designing plays to contain him, then expect him to struggle. I see George as an All Star for many years to come, but a player that can lead his team to championships, he's not. He's no Paul Pierce, can never reach Kobe or Wade level, and obviously will never be in the same league as Lebron or even Durant for that matter. That offensive game of his has way too many flaws. Infinitely better than Harden though, fwiw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I do believe George is an excellent all around player, he's severely overrated nowadays. With Indiana's strong early season run, George is being placed on a pedestal as the next big thing when clearly he's not. Not yet ready IMO at least.

When Granger comes back, expect his numbers to drop and when teams starts designing plays to contain him, then expect him to struggle. I see George as an All Star for many years to come, but a player that can lead his team to championships, he's not. He's no Paul Pierce, can never reach Kobe or Wade level, and obviously will never be in the same league as Lebron or even Durant for that matter. That offensive game of his has way too many flaws. Infinitely better than Harden though, fwiw.
    granger has no impact since last season

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I know this is such a cliche but he can be a Scottie Pippen type of player. He can help his team win 50,60 games but come playoff time where great players are truly measured, he'll fall short of expectations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know this is such a cliche but he can be a Scottie Pippen type of player. He can help his team win 50,60 games but come playoff time where great players are truly measured, he'll fall short of expectations.
    wouldnt that apply to rest of the league?

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    granger has no impact since last season
    Never said he did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    him coming back wont impact PG production

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thread lost all credibility when you said he was an ok defender and nothing to write home about...

but in reference to the question being asked, i'm actually not sure. I think he's definitely legit as a star, but I think his start has been kind of fluky. I don't think he's ready to carry a team to a le, and because of that I don't think Indiana will win it all this year without hibbert dominating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad we traded this guy tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    Indiana Pacers
    Post Count

Paul george is 23 yrs old.. the fact that we are even discussing this means its happening. Pg is averaging superstar numbers while playing suffocating defense on the other end. Barring injuries pg will only get better. He has the potential to be top 3in the league, while his offense may never be on durant or kobes level his defense is already better, which may make the argument for him being top 3.

The start of this season is no fluke. Teams watched the playoffs and defenses were geared to stop him. Having Granger back will as pg said only help him by spacing the floor more for him to operate. PG is for real. Take a read. This is a recently posted espn article

George MVP?Make no mistake about it, Hibbert has compe ion for the defensive hardware -- and he won't need to look far to find company. After receiving a max extension in the offseason, George certainly hasn't lost interest on that side of the floor. He remains a two-way beast on the wing with an overall game that perhaps only LeBron James can match. At just 22 years old, George was the youngest player voted in the top 10 of the Defensive Player of the Year vote last season. (He finished eighth, two spots ahead of Hibbert.)LeBron James and Paul GeorgeBrian Spurlock/USA TODAY SportsPaul George is emerging as LeBron James' one true rival in the East.George appears to be just getting started. Using his length to lock down the opposing perimeter scorer, George has been the perfect first line of defense in front of Hibbert's safety net. Consider this: When Hibbert and George have played together so far this season, opponents have scored just 75.1 points per 100 possessions in 141 minutes -- the lowest rate for any duo in the league, according to NBA.com data. That output is probably around what we'd expect if a team sneaked a sixth player on the defensive end.Of course, the Pacers' defensive numbers should regress to the mean a bit. After all, five games does not a season make. The question is whether we can say the same about George's explosive start on offense. George has basically morphed into Kevin Durant there, blending efficiency with high-volume shooting from just about everywhere. Most impressive is that he's shooting 44 percent on 7.2 attempts per game from deep, helping to boost his true shooting percentage to a scorching 62.6 percent.But is it sustainable? When George absorbed the primary scoring responsibilities with Danny Granger out last season, he consequently watched his true shooting percentage tumble from 55.5 percent in 2011-12 to 53.1 percent in 2012-13. And that follows what we know about the usage-efficiency trade-off effect. But this season, George is defying the general laws of the game; George has managed to raise his efficiency level while also watching his usage rate soar to a career-high 29.2 percent. That's tough to do.Although it's certainly possible that George's improved jumper isn't a mirage, the smart money is that George will descend back to Earth at some point as the season progresses. On a per-game basis, he's now averaging 25.8 points, 8.2 rebounds and 4.0 assists along with a 27.2 PER. That's enough to get tossed into the MVP discussion and further legitimize his standing as James' true rival in the East.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No but he can jump.

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ordering my paul george swingman jersey tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top 3 player, really? Give the season a few more weeks b4 ing that conclusion.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I've always thought he was vastly overrated, tbh... but he's been playing much better the last two seasons... he still need that legitimization that comes with reaching a Finals or even winning one...
    -15 points son. IIRC, you said Leonard was on his level. PG is getting it done as a 1st option. Leonard is a beta 3rd option at best. Now this if you dare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -15 points son. IIRC, you said Leonard was on his level. PG is getting it done as a 1st option. Leonard is a beta 3rd option at best. this .
    Both him and Leonard could go and average 30pts per game on a ty team. Not taking anything away from George, but he's on a good team, like Leonard is too.

Plus outside of TP, the Spurs really don't have a pecking order as far as 'options'. It's a highly choreographed offense, where the guy with the open shot takes it.

Thread Information