Page 316 of 376 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316317318319320326366 ... LastLast
Results 7,876 to 7,900 of 9381
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully they release that on PC at some point or remaster it for PS5 otherwise I never will tried to go back and play it awhile back and I just couldn't. The ty framerate hurts my eyes now
    You're missing a couple of the best bossfights in gaming by skipping The Old Hunters DLC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the games are challenging and actually requires you to learn their mechanics well. it takes effort, but they're not impossibly difficult. other games have "hard" difficulties that feel way more unfair than anything from FromSoft, where they make you die in like 1 hit and enemies are huge damage sponges. , if your first time playing God of War 2018 was on the give me god of war difficulty, it would have taken you at least 30 minutes just to beat the very first enemy encounter against basic draugr

honestly the hardest part of souls was not the combat or the bosses, but sometimes just figuring out where to go. took me quite a while in Dark Souls Remastered to figure out that i had to open that basement door to get into lower undead parish -> Depths. same with bloodborne and finding my way out of the forbidden woods.

tho some bloodborne chalice dungeon bosses, to steal a quote from honest trailers, felt like trying to break bricks with a flaccid penis
    The difference is that a game like GOW you can play in 'normal' and it's still somewhat challenging, but gives you a learning curve to the combat system. By the time you reach the end, you're fully trained for give me god of war mode.

I hate games that are impossibly difficult and don't even let you cheese them at least to advance. Even Demons Souls lets you cheese the bosses if you're creative enough.

For me Sekiro was a game that I put hours on end and I never felt I've got better. I reached a boss that was simply not possible to beat for me. I wanted to even cheese and advance, and couldn't either. I just deleted it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference is that a game like GOW you can play in 'normal' and it's still somewhat challenging, but gives you a learning curve to the combat system. By the time you reach the end, you're fully trained for give me god of war mode.

I hate games that are impossibly difficult and don't even let you cheese them at least to advance. Even Demons Souls lets you cheese the bosses if you're creative enough.

For me Sekiro was a game that I put hours on end and I never felt I've got better. I reached a boss that was simply not possible to beat for me. I wanted to even cheese and advance, and couldn't either. I just deleted it.
    What did you think of Bloodborne? Sekiro felt a lot like Bloodborne to me: either you learn how to time parries or you're just ing stuck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did you think of Bloodborne? Sekiro felt a lot like Bloodborne to me: either you learn how to time parries or you're just ing stuck.
    To be frank, I wasn't into those games at the time, and I had an XBOX 360 for the longest time as well, so I sorta missed it when it came out.

At some point I picked it up and, IIRC, I played it until the first boss, but I just didn't have time then to give it the attention it deserved and I never went back to it.

It's one of those games I'll probably catch on a remaster if it ever happens (like Demon's Soul) and play them through.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be frank, I wasn't into those games at the time, and I had an XBOX 360 for the longest time as well, so I sorta missed it when it came out.

At some point I picked it up and, IIRC, I played it until the first boss, but I just didn't have time then to give it the attention it deserved and I never went back to it.

It's one of those games I'll probably catch on a remaster if it ever happens (like Demon's Soul) and play them through.
    Well, Elden Ring is way more forgiving. You can play a melee character that depends on parry like in Sekiro or Bloodborne. You can play one that depends on blocking with a shield like is the standard in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. You can play a melee character with no shield that's aggressive and depends on dodging and counter attacks. You can play a character who uses magic from range, which is generally considered to be the easy mode for the game.

Also if you cheesed Tower Knight with arrows in Demon's Souls you missed a really cool bossfight IMO. I would use arrows to take out the archers around him sometimes, but the fun way (after clearing out the archers) is to get in close and hack away at his feet, like you're cutting his achilles or something. Then when he falls to the ground go up and stab him in the head or chest (I forget which) for a critical attack. It's a pretty cool sight seeing that big er crash to the ground after you attack his feet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Elden Ring is way more forgiving. You can play a melee character that depends on parry like in Sekiro or Bloodborne. You can play one that depends on blocking with a shield like is the standard in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. You can play a melee character with no shield that's aggressive and depends on dodging and counter attacks. You can play a character who uses magic from range, which is generally considered to be the easy mode for the game.

Also if you cheesed Tower Knight with arrows in Demon's Souls you missed a really cool bossfight IMO. I would use arrows to take out the archers around him sometimes, but the fun way is to get in close and hack away at his feet, like you're cutting his achilles or something. Then when he falls to the ground go up and stab him in the head or chest (I forget which) for a critical attack. It's a pretty cool sight seeing that big er crash to the ground after you attack his feet.
    I could never get behind his feet without getting crushed. And that meant I had to start the level again. My first instinct when I start to get frustrated is 1) figure out how to not get hit, and 2) find a way to cheese it.

I'm glad I did. After that fight, I really didn't have much trouble with the other bosses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could never get behind his feet without getting crushed. And that meant I had to start the level again. My first instinct when I start to get frustrated is 1) figure out how to not get hit, and 2) find a way to cheese it.

I'm glad I did. After that fight, I really didn't have much trouble with the other bosses.
    Were you playing a tank build with heavy armor? I could see that being tough then. I played Demon's Souls in super light robes instead of armor to preserve agility if I remember right, so Tower Knight was like the easiest boss in the game for my build.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Were you playing a tank build with heavy armor? I could see that being tough then. I played Demon's Souls in super light robes instead of armor to preserve agility if I remember right, so Tower Knight was like the easiest boss in the game for my build.
    Definitely a tank. Just got my copy of Elden Ring, but I'm gonna finish Forbidden West first, I'm almost done.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welp I’m not buying Gran Turismo 7.

just found out it’s an always online game. What a disgusting practice this is.

You shouldn’t need to be shackled online to play it’s campaign mode.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I upgraded the Icerind Hatchet to lvl 5 and it's hilarious how busted this thing is. I put my summon sign down outside of Godrick's fog gate, get summoned and then just L2 spam until he dies. I thought bleed was broken, but this is something else.

Abuse it while you still can, folks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I upgraded the Icerind Hatchet to lvl 5 and it's hilarious how busted this thing is. I put my summon sign down outside of Godrick's fog gate, get summoned and then just L2 spam until he dies. I thought bleed was broken, but this is something else.

Abuse it while you still can, folks.
    I'm having too much fun with the sheathe attack on the uchigatana. Gotta say Crucible Knight at Stormhill Evergaol was a bas though until I figured I could roll backwards when he did the flying attack at me in the second phase and have a wide opening for a heavy sheathe attack as soon as he landed. Wish I hadn't dumped points into strength early on though now that I have some ashes to make the uchigatana scale at B-level with dexterity while keeping sheathe as the special attack.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    me, dual handing doesn't do for your weapon damage and I have just been playing without a shield for no reason after finding out you can remove special effects from shields via the No Skill ash of war. Which is an ash I can go and buy in the beginning of the game. JFC been fighting all these bosses with no shield and just dodging for no reason whatsoever, as the best part of the dual hand moveset is just wailing on enemies with R1 weak attacks once you land that first. Which works great against scrubs but not high poise bosses, where I use sheathe and charged R2 heavy attacks almost exclusively since your hit windows are usually short in boss fights. And those are the same move single or dual hand. オレ馬鹿なんだよ。

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huge mistake to start Elden Ring after finishing Horizon... graphically it looks so ty in comparison, tbh. I'm left wondering how this got a 10 in most reviews. You're wandering around too, no clue what you need to do, etc.

I started a Hero build (I prefer melee) and got my ass kicked pretty thoroughly, and this is before even really trying to fight the dragon. I think I'm gonna try the Confessor, but I would really love a ranged character that's not a magic character.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beat Horizon earlier.

Good, but definitely not as good as the first. They nerfed most weapons this time and made every single machine a chore to take down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huge mistake to start Elden Ring after finishing Horizon... graphically it looks so ty in comparison, tbh. I'm left wondering how this got a 10 in most reviews. You're wandering around too, no clue what you need to do, etc.

I started a Hero build (I prefer melee) and got my ass kicked pretty thoroughly, and this is before even really trying to fight the dragon. I think I'm gonna try the Confessor, but I would really love a ranged character that's not a magic character.
    Honestly think Forbidden West is the tiest looking game on PS5. Zero Dawn looks way better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you seen the poison the jellyfish does? I beat Godrick on my second try with it.

I also just got the turtle shield and it's OP. Think I'll let it carry me.
    I think I spent too much time exploring the east end of the map before doing any of the main story missions, because both Margit and Godric were complete pushovers with a +7 uchigatana, using heavy unsheathe attacks. Beat both of them easily on my first try and north of the castle is pretty easy compared to the area in the east I was playing before. Crucible Knight has still been by far the hardest boss I have faced in this game, much smaller hit windows than Margit and Godric.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly think Forbidden West is the tiest looking game on PS5. Zero Dawn looks way better.

We talked why I don't have the visual problem you do, but what I mean is that it's a vibrant, beautiful world to look at. There's always something going on, and not a hitch.

Just really unimpressed how bare and empty Elden Ring looks, and even in perf mode, the hitches are crazy bad, especially since the game is graphically nothing special.

I still don't know how you level up or do anything really, or why I'm walking around and killing monsters/soldiers, or where I need to go.

I get the FromSoft hype, but this is nowhere near a 10, IMO. The Demon's Souls remake is 10 times better looking and plays a lot better as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We talked why I don't have the visual problem you do, but what I mean is that it's a vibrant, beautiful world to look at. There's always something going on, and not a hitch.

Just really unimpressed how bare and empty Elden Ring looks, and even in perf mode, the hitches are crazy bad, especially since the game is graphically nothing special.

I still don't know how you level up or do anything really, or why I'm walking around and killing monsters/soldiers, or where I need to go.

I get the FromSoft hype, but this is nowhere near a 10, IMO. The Demon's Souls remake is 10 times better looking and plays a lot better as well.
    Elden Ring is bare minimum a 9.5/10 IMO. It's easily my favorite game to come out since NieR Automata in 2017. Pull up the map and the waypoints in the early game draw a path right towards the castle which is where you go to progress the story. They literally point right down the path you need to take to get there. Though you'll get your teeth kicked in by Margit if you haven't explored a bit elsewhere and strengthened your character. Also you shouldn't be fighting dragons at the beginning with a weak character, you should be running from them. And from other bosses and minibosses you're not ready for.

I think it's kind of weird to slam a game for graphics while propping another game that shipped with and still has a broken performance mode. I see a lot of crap densely populated on the screen in Forbidden West but it's rendered like in performance mode. Elden Ring is nothing special graphically and never has been sold as such, what makes the game awesome is the combat, the setting, the exploration, and all the different interesting ways you can build a character. But Forbidden West was sold as a graphical powerhouse and it does not deliver that at all in performance mode. Hope it will someday but they put too much crap on the screen if they don't have the performance budget to apply any decent antialiasing to the game in performance mode. I don't mind making the compromise of playing the PS4 Pro version of Elden Ring on PS5 to get 60 fps since I don't buy FromSoft games for their graphics, but graphics were a large part of why I bought Horizon at launch and having to put my PS5 in 1080p mode to blur things enough to kind of mitigate the shimmer sucks when I haven't had to do that with any other PS5 graphical powerhouse.

I have the opposite dilemma. How am I supposed to play Forbidden West with its more cookie cutter hand holding approach after a masterpiece like Elden Ring? Especially when it's not wowing me graphically. The graphics were a huge reason I really liked Horizon Zero Dawn despite the game being kind of Ubisofty at heart.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-04-2022 at 06:36 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    User scores are mediocre for Elden Ring.

Forbidden West got a dozen or so technical issues but it’s definitely not an ugly looking game by a long shot. Graphically a masterpiece in my opinion. The animations are high level af.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elden Ring is bare minimum a 9.5/10 IMO. It's easily my favorite game to come out since NieR Automata in 2017. Pull up the map and the waypoints in the early game draw a path right towards the castle which is where you go to progress the story. They literally point right down the path you need to take to get there. Though you'll get your teeth kicked in by Margit if you haven't explored a bit elsewhere and strengthened your character. Also you shouldn't be fighting dragons at the beginning with a weak character, you should be running from them. And from other bosses and minibosses you're not ready for.

I think it's kind of weird to slam a game for graphics while propping another game that shipped with and still has a broken performance mode. I see a lot of crap densely populated on the screen in Forbidden West but it's rendered like in performance mode. Elden Ring is nothing special graphically and never has been sold as such, what makes the game awesome is the combat, the setting, the exploration, and all the different interesting ways you can build a character. But Forbidden West was sold as a graphical powerhouse and it does not deliver that at all in performance mode. Hope it will someday but they put too much crap on the screen if they don't have the performance budget to apply any decent antialiasing to the game in performance mode. I don't mind making the compromise of playing the PS4 Pro version of Elden Ring on PS5 to get 60 fps since I don't buy FromSoft games for their graphics, but graphics were a large part of why I bought Horizon at launch and having to put my PS5 in 1080p mode to blur things enough to kind of mitigate the shimmer sucks when I haven't had to do that with any other PS5 graphical powerhouse.

I have the opposite dilemma. How am I supposed to play Forbidden West with its more cookie cutter hand holding approach after a masterpiece like Elden Ring? Especially when it's not wowing me graphically. The graphics were a huge reason I really liked Horizon Zero Dawn despite the game being kind of Ubisofty at heart.
    I don't think it's a bad game, and I'm playing it. I'm just saying that if you publish a game with:

- mediocre/non-existent story
    - graphics bordering last gen
    - stuttery framerate mess
    - no handholding
    - no difficulty setting
    - animations pretty much lifted from their previous game
    - some sort of tutorial hidden somewhere (I found out there's one by reading comments)
    - nothing really novel here, even the whole online messaging thing is Demon's Souls all over again.

you can only get a pass and a 10/10 because "It's FromSoft, what did you expect?". I mean, I get it, it's a game for FromSoft fans.

Again, I understand the problem you had with Horizon and I know it's not just you, I'm just speaking about my experience. Horizon is a different kind of game too, it would never have a deep combat system like these games, and I'm not making a direct comparison game to game.

I was pointing out my honest reaction from going from one open world to the other, and puzzled how this thing got a 10/10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it's a bad game, and I'm playing it. I'm just saying that if you publish a game with:

- mediocre/non-existent story
    - graphics bordering last gen
    - stuttery framerate mess
    - no handholding
    - no difficulty setting
    - animations pretty much lifted from their previous game
    - some sort of tutorial hidden somewhere (I found out there's one by reading comments)
    - nothing really novel here, even the whole online messaging thing is Demon's Souls all over again.

you can only get a pass and a 10/10 because "It's FromSoft, what did you expect?". I mean, I get it, it's a game for FromSoft fans.

Again, I understand the problem you had with Horizon and I know it's not just you, I'm just speaking about my experience. Horizon is a different kind of game too, it would never have a deep combat system like these games, and I'm not making a direct comparison game to game.

I was pointing out my honest reaction from going from one open world to the other, and puzzled how this thing got a 10/10.
    Why does a game need difficulty settings and to hold your hand? And nothing really novel here? Might as well say God of War didn't earn its review scores because Skyrim already did Nord mythology and Soulsborne already did God of War's combat except Santa Monica added some special powers to the axe. Don't understand why a game has to appeal to everyone to be worthy of high scores too. I don't like fps so no fps is ever really a 10/10 game?

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count

Demon's Souls remake looks way better but is as bare as can be. It's extremely dated in every other aspect other than graphics and performance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does a game need difficulty settings and to hold your hand? And nothing really novel here? Might as well say God of War didn't earn its review scores because Skyrim already did Nord mythology and Soulsborne already did God of War's combat except Santa Monica added some special powers to the axe. Don't understand why a game has to appeal to everyone to be worthy of high scores too. I don't like fps so no fps is ever really a 10/10 game?
    Because you can actually have the choice, but it's deliberatively omitted. You can start playing God of War in Give me God of War, if you want, but if it ships with just that mode as the only difficulty level, then I absolutely assure you it can't hit the 94 it received. Unless From Software did it, then it gets a pass for whatever reason, because apparently they built the rep that they make "hard" games.

And frankly, God of War being 4 years old and all, completely owns this game in animation, visuals, audio, story, framerate, handholding... you can have the deep combat system without abandoning everything else. GoW also has a continuous camera system that as far as video games goes, was actually pretty novel and a big part of the experience playing the game. Then again, GoW also probably had 10x the budget this thing has, but then that's sort of the point of judging excellence.

Again, this isn't a bad game, my beef is I just don't get what's the barometer here. Is it 10/10 graded on a curve? Is it from the standpoint that it's the best From game to date? If some other company did this game, they wouldn't be anywhere near 10/10, IMO, maybe 8/10, praised for the combat and they'll be getting dinged up for all the things I posted before.

My other pet peeve playing this right now is, I'm in Stormgate, and I must've killed that big Ogre that falls down about 5x already. Then I die fighting the bags that come right after, coz I'm bleeding pretty badly, and I have to do it all over again. It's not even hard to beat it now, but it's never a short battle and a waste of time. Sure, I can probably run around him, but I mean, why is this even a thing? Can I have an option to pause the game please, we're in 2021?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demon's Souls remake looks way better but is as bare as can be. It's extremely dated in every other aspect other than graphics and performance.
    To be frank, I didn't play Demon's Souls before the remake, but at the very least they did hit a quality visual bar you sorta now expect for nextgen games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because you can actually have the choice, but it's deliberatively omitted. You can start playing God of War in Give me God of War, if you want, but if it ships with just that mode as the only difficulty level, then I absolutely assure you it can't hit the 94 it received. Unless From Software did it, then it gets a pass for whatever reason, because apparently they built the rep that they make "hard" games.
    There is an easy mode: summon other people to make any bossfight a cake walk. I don't care to do it because the fun of the game is learning how to find openings against challenging enemies and then executing. But you can make it into a boring button masher if you want by summoning allies.

And frankly, God of War being 4 years old and all, completely owns this game in animation, visuals, audio, story, framerate, handholding... you can have the deep combat system without abandoning everything else. GoW also has a continuous camera system that as far as video games goes, was actually pretty novel and a big part of the experience playing the game. Then again, GoW also probably had 10x the budget this thing has, but then that's sort of the point of judging excellence.
    And Elden Ring completely owns God of War in combat and exploration. You want them to make a Souls game that's not a Souls game.

Again, this isn't a bad game, my beef is I just don't get what's the barometer here. Is it 10/10 graded on a curve? Is it from the standpoint that it's the best From game to date? If some other company did this game, they wouldn't be anywhere near 10/10, IMO, maybe 8/10, praised for the combat and they'll be getting dinged up for all the things I posted before.
    Because it has an incredible open world with tons of interesting dungeons and boss fights, it's like taking Skyrim's world and putting a top notch battle system in it along with a lot of wildly different boss fights. It's an interesting world to explore with a killer art style and tons of enemy variety. I don't care if it's not loaded with high grass and cat-tails and all other kind of foliage that makes graphics nuts like Digital Foundry get their panties wet. The exploration and combat is top notch.

My other pet peeve playing this right now is, I'm in Stormgate, and I must've killed that big Ogre that falls down about 5x already. Then I die fighting the bags that come right after, coz I'm bleeding pretty badly, and I have to do it all over again. It's not even hard to beat it now, but it's never a short battle and a waste of time. Sure, I can probably run around him, but I mean, why is this even a thing?
    You're not supposed to keep fighting when you're bleeding, you're supposed to either get the encounter done in one or two more swings or run like because when your bleed meter builds up you're extremely vulnerable to even the weakest enemy attacks that take an outsized amount of health off when you're bleeding. It's one of the core mechanics of the game, it's not a screw up on their part. And you would rather have the world be empty once you kill each enemy once? If it's a waste of your time don't do the battle, just like every other open world game once you're strong enough that the experience / items gained don't justify bothering with the fight.

Thread Information