Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte is petty and takes things personally. He’s talked nonstop about wanting to be a Spur for a long time. So he’s probably not real happy to be seeing his name involved in a bunch of potential trades tbh. Just waiting for him to unfollow the Spurs on social media now

He’ll still re-sign here in two years if we offer him the Max, but that’s a whole other conversation that needs to be had.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we wanted Collins that bad why didn’t we just sign him last year , stupid man spurs don Harris confirmed it was talked about idk what they doing but Collins isn’t a franchise player alongside dj yes but not trade dj for him, unless spurs have fallen in love with a pg in this draft which may be the case

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I consider a great young player and three unprotected lotto picks a superstar package.

I don't think the Spurs want a Jrue package either, to be fair. They'd want something concrete rather than just "value". They didn't do that with White, and I think they regret it. If Murray's not traded today, I don't think he'll be traded before next off-season/draft.
    If the Spurs are willing to trade Murray, it'll be when the right offer appears, and that exceeds us. Might be at the trade deadline, usually some team is desperate enough to massively overpay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you consider the Jrue Holiday package to be that of a superstar?
    It was extensive and at the time looked like an overpay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    … We didn't hear anything about White until he was traded. Murray name being in the wind is against the spurs MO.

Not to say he won't ever be traded. But it's not happening anytime soon. The spurs aren't that far away from being a perennial playoff team. Just need to get a real pf and real center. They can do both this year.
    Sorry to burst your bubble poopbox but I have to point out that Murray and White both were rumored to be in trade talks before last season started after Derozan was trade. The Spurs weren’t selling them, or putting them on the market cheaply, but they had interest around the league and the rumor was that teams were calling and the Spurs were asking for a lot. Nowhere was it said they weren’t open to trading them, and they also didn’t deny it.

Eventually they found a trade for White that complied with their requests. It didnt happen that same summer, but it happened within the year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well this at least confirms that Fischer wasnt selling a lie…. Atlanta not having the assets to give the Spurs, or being unwilling to, but then leaking it to the media..

IMO to get Murray’s eyes on the situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte is petty and takes things personally. He’s talked nonstop about wanting to be a Spur for a long time. So he’s probably not real happy to be seeing his name involved in a bunch of potential trades tbh. Just waiting for him to unfollow the Spurs on social media now

He’ll still re-sign here in two years if we offer him the Max, but that’s a whole other conversation that needs to be had.

Yeah, I'm proud of Murray's progress and him become an All-Star and all that...but dude needs to realize he is not untouchable. In fact, there are very few guys in this league that are untouchable, and that short list includes the likes of Curry, Giannis, Joker, Luka, LeBron, Embiid, etc. We are talking MVP level guys.

Murray needs to realize he is not at their level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you consider the Jrue Holiday package to be that of a superstar?
    Jrue was no superstar but context matters. He went to a team that was making the ultimate desperate win now moves to retain Giannis Antetokoumpo. He wouldnt have been worth that deal in any other situation and at the time everyone was shocked Milwaukee gave up that much for him. It turned out well for them. I love stories with a happy ending. I have been happier for Giannis and team winning a year ago than I have been for any other team winning since the Spurs in 2014.

(My next team I am rooting for is Grizzlies. I dont know if they will get there, but Id definitely be happy to see them succeed).

Anyways, context matters. Even White went for a deal that was perceived and seems, for a player of his caliber, as a ton. He also went to a contender that needed and wanted to make win now moves.

We shall see what happens with Murray. He can be worth a lot in the right situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jrue was no superstar but context matters. He went to a team that was making the ultimate desperate win now moves to retain Giannis Antetokoumpo. He wouldnt have been worth that deal in any other situation and at the time everyone was shocked Milwaukee gave up that much for him. It turned out well for them. I love stories with a happy ending. I have been happier for Giannis and team winning a year ago than I have been for any other team winning since the Spurs in 2014.

(My next team I am rooting for is Grizzlies. I dont know if they will get there, but Id definitely be happy to see them succeed).

Anyways, context matters. Even White went for a deal that was perceived and seems, for a player of his caliber, as a ton. He also went to a contender that needed and wanted to make win now moves.

We shall see what happens with Murray. He can be worth a lot in the right situation.
    yeah, i was too. the bucks are my team on the side.

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte Murray's father weighs in -

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry to burst your bubble poopbox but I have to point out that Murray and White both were rumored to be in trade talks before last season started after Derozan was trade. The Spurs weren’t selling them, or putting them on the market cheaply, but they had interest around the league and the rumor was that teams were calling and the Spurs were asking for a lot. Nowhere was it said they weren’t open to trading them, and they also didn’t deny it.

Eventually they found a trade for White that complied with their requests. It didnt happen that same summer, but it happened within the year.
    There's a difference between rumors of trade talks and actual trade talks. I mean last year there were "rumors" the lakers would trade lebron, which we know isn't happening unless he says so since he pretty much runs the team.

I'd go so far as to say Dejounte would be more likely to just not sign another contract with the spurs after the next 2 years than he is to get traded by the spurs. The only teams that would have the haul we would want, which would be a really good young player and at least 3 nearly unprotected lottery picks, are teams like houston and okc, and they are trying to tank so they have no interest in a player like dejounte who will help them win more than they want.

Collins for Murray and anything else Atlanta has is a very stupid trade. Collins for anything Cleveland has other than Evan Mobley is a stupid trade and even if they did that trade we should be getting every first round pick the cavs can legally give us.

And the writing was kind of on the wall for Derrick or Lonnie last year when we drafted Primo...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is a great player, but the question I always ask myself is "does he make the other players around him better?" Because we have not seen that without a doubt is one of the reasons why the Spurs will entertain offers. Trade him while the value is high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Damn, now I feel like the rumor was complete smoke screen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He made peace with his son. That was a really good story Murray shared of him making peace with his father. Appreciate him reaching out to fans. DJ cant get in on this other than eyes and popcorn emoji.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a difference between rumors of trade talks and actual trade talks. I mean last year there were "rumors" the lakers would trade lebron, which we know isn't happening unless he says so since he pretty much runs the team.

I'd go so far as to say Dejounte would be more likely to just not sign another contract with the spurs after the next 2 years than he is to get traded by the spurs. The only teams that would have the haul we would want, which would be a really good young player and at least 3 nearly unprotected lottery picks, are teams like houston and okc, and they are trying to tank so they have no interest in a player like dejounte who will help them win more than they want.

Collins for Murray and anything else Atlanta has is a very stupid trade. Collins for anything Cleveland has other than Evan Mobley is a stupid trade and even if they did that trade we should be getting every first round pick the cavs can legally give us.

And the writing was kind of on the wall for Derrick or Lonnie last year when we drafted Primo...
    I agree with you. This trade was not a serious trade I think. The Spurs asked for a ton, same as Philly was asking for 4 first rounds picks for a Ben Simmons that was a malcontent and refused to play. It doesnt mean more serious attempts can be made behind closed doors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I’m just curious that White was still shocked when traded if rumors were there and the FO was not denying then. Because usually the FO would just nip that, to not create distraction to the team. But I agree that Murray would eventually get moved. It’s so uncharacteristic of the Spurs to have that rumor circling around, that Murray could be available on a Jrue Holiday type of haul. That to me means that PATFO is ready to part with DJ, maybe catering to his frustrations, maybe fed-up with his twitter-happy fingers. The Kawhi debacle was just a few years ago, and mostly the reason why the Spurs had such a flawed lineup. For sure that’s on their mind, to prevent anything remotely similar happening without getting the haul that they want. Again, I agree Murray’s days are numbered. And the FO is hard on working to get this right.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, now I feel like the rumor was complete smoke screen.
    Of course it was. Nothing more than Atlanta trying to drive the price up for Collins. Trying to get teams interested in him to pony up because "we might trade him for an all star"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m just curious that White was still shocked when traded if rumors were there and the FO was not denying then. Because usually the FO would just nip that, to not create distraction to the team. But I agree that Murray would eventually get moved. It’s so uncharacteristic of the Spurs to have that rumor circling around, that Murray could be available on a Jrue Holiday type of haul. That to me means that PATFO is ready to part with DJ, maybe catering to his frustrations, maybe fed-up with his twitter-happy fingers. The Kawhi debacle was just a few years ago, and mostly the reason why the Spurs had such a flawed lineup. For sure that’s on their mind, to prevent anything remotely similar happening without getting the haul that they want. Again, I agree Murray’s days are numbered. And the FO is hard on working to get this right.
    The FO is not going to nip rumors bc truth is probably they are picking up the phone and hearing offers all the time. Its like Demar not hearing that the Raptors trading him until it was a done deal. Teams dont generally want those to leak because a lot of trades get really close and then fail to go through, and they dont want players finding out if nothing happened.

Usually when you learn of a trade in the media its usually something that was discussed but its now dead, and yet one of the parties has interest in leaking it for some reason.

Also, the fact this particular trade didnt go down, doesnt mean others arent being discussed constantly, or revisited.

Some players learn of their trades through a Woj tweet unfortunately. I think Haliburton also said his trade to Indiana caught him by surprise.

Teams usually don't leak anything that is real. Even the most minor thing like calling an agent to tell him a trade is going down that then fails at the last moment can have horrible consequences.

REmember the beginning of Simmons becoming a malcontent in Philly started when he was told privately that he was traded. Allegedly he was packing or something (memory is fuzzy) getting ready to travel to new team, when the trade didn't go through for something I cant remember. But he knew he was almost traded, and from there on, knew the team wasn't committed to him. He finished the season, and then the rest is what it is. When they didn't win and he got criticism he said he didn't have to cooperate with raising his value for a trade and that was on the FO and things got worse from there.

I bet there are a lot of almost trades that don't go down. Why was this one leaked? This was not a Spur leak. It had to be ATL, to raise the interest in Collins maybe? Or some calculation for the future. Ruffling feathers and seeing if someone falls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very quiet so far today...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray is a great player, but the question I always ask myself is "does he make the other players around him better?" Because we have not seen that without a doubt is one of the reasons why the Spurs will entertain offers. Trade him while the value is high.
    I hate to say DJ’s a system player, because DJ can do a lot. But boy everytime Tre gets almost triple-double when he starts, makes me want to think.

One thing though. DJ doesn’t get double-triple team, nobody on the current roster, to create open man. It would have to be a motion offense, crisp passing and that takes meticulous practices, no margin of error. That’s why if it doesn’t work early, they find themselves in a deep hole. And being a young team who don’t have the experience to hang their hat on, starts playing isolation games. Can DJ ever ascend to that level? Not if he keeps settling elbow shots, crossover jumpshots. Nobody double-team that. It’s too predictable and relatively easier to depend on close games and playoffs
    situations.

I hate to keep going back to Davis. But he has dribble penetration, sucking double-triple team. That’s an All-Star if he can develop that even more. I think Davis is an underrated passer because of a lack of better teammates in Wisconsin. That’s why if ever DJ gets moved, I think Davis can take some of the PG responsibilities along with Primo or whoever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean if we aren’t willing to pay DJ $40 million a year then why are we going to hang on to him? He’s at his all time max value trade wise. He hasn’t led us really anywhere except being mediocre. Ivey is a of an interesting project. Even if he’s a bust the thought of his potential alone has to give us pause. Plus this French guy is supposedly the next sure thing. People are as high on him as Luka. And getting rid of just DJ gives us a shot to pick him next year and a real one at that. That being said, we better not end up with Collins. That dude is trash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like a whole lotta bs but well see

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a Harris/TSpence source-off today.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question I would ask is what can he become with more help. I don't mean star players, but a vertical threat big. Derrick White in San Antonio threw very few lobs gets to Boston and it increases several hundred percent, left and right to the Boston bigs.

Murray put up sky high numbers without any vertical help, and it's amazing. How much better can be be with a release valve like that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question I would ask is what can he become with more help. I don't mean star players, but a vertical threat big. Derrick White in San Antonio threw very few lobs gets to Boston and it increases several hundred percent, left and right to the Boston bigs.

Murray put up sky high numbers without any vertical help, and it's amazing. How much better can be be with a release valve like that?
    Tre almost averaged triple-doubles everytime he starts. I’m not saying DJ is not a good rebounder, defender. But he is closer to a system-player in San Antonio offense imo. Have you seen him bounce-pass on traffic? Make a wrap-around pass on traffic, throw a lob amidst crowd like CP0 and Trae do? Nope. DJ is not a true point guard and NOT indispensable at that position. So it wouldn’t help him dramatically with a better target. Sure he will be open more. DJ will be a 2nd or 3rd option. and it will help him getting open, not being option.

Thread Information