Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi probably feels he's injured, but not joining his teammates to "continue his rehab in New York" is mind boggling. Rehab for what, next season? He can't do that in San Francisco or after the playoffs? Here's burned his bridges, and as a result, he's going to miss out on a super max contract and off to a lesser organization. Besides everything else, he's got bad judgement and bad people guiding him.
    Yep, his uncle has had a Yoko Ono effect on this. I don’t blame Kawhi if he’s tired of Pop, or maybe he’s legit injured, but he’s handled this whole thing very poorly, perhaps because of bad advice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Local media scrubs openly pushing the narrative that Kawhi won't be back is like papal smoke at the Vatican.

The decision has been made.
    This. Spurs PR arm already getting on top of the story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question: assume kawhi has been playing fine this year (same as last). Who believes the spurs offer the Supermax?

I would not be surprised if Pop asks KL to take less and that a supermax would be crippling.... and that would be ironic considering recent contracts to Mills and Gasol. If that were the case, it would easily explain all of this. I just have a hard time believing spurs offer that size of a contract, but I certainly could be wrong
    no need to even ponder since this is a complete alternate reality scenario.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Free Kawhi from this hole please

He'll make the money up in sponsorships when he becomes the face of the Lakers. Smart move by his uncle to turn down that $20M from Jordan
    I’m sorry he was wronged by the organization somehow? Pretty sure we won over 60 games last season and he was top three MVP candidate. Also pretty sure they were all set to make him a ridiculously rich man with that Supermax extension prior to all of this bull . Not sure exactly how the Spurs did him wrong?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To keep the trade value up, the Spurs will fall on the sword and say they told him to stay away so he looks less like a head case.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To keep the trade value up, the Spurs will fall on the sword and say they told him to stay away so he looks less like a head case.
    I could see that happening but from 'sources' out of San Antonio. If Pop was on board with the farce he would have already been saying it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi NEEDS to be offered the supermax... If he takes it, that shows he DID want to be here like he said...

If spurs don't offer him the money, not only would that be an insanely bad idea since they gave Gasol and Mills a lot of money...

If they don't give him the money, then that may be what causes him to not accept an extension, which would then lead to a trade... We KNOW he is worth the supermax when healthy

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And hopefully your stupid ass will go with him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the pussy in dreads

If hes still a spur by next September I will personally log off this website and join lakersground

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi NEEDS to be offered the supermax... If he takes it, that shows he DID want to be here like he said...

If spurs don't offer him the money, not only would that be an insanely bad idea since they gave Gasol and Mills a lot of money...

If they don't give him the money, then that may be what causes him to not accept an extension, which would then lead to a trade... We KNOW he is worth the supermax when healthy
    He’s not healthy. He’s saying he has a medical issue that doctors basically can’t see or handle which means how can you believe he will get healthy

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Supermax is a crap load of money and a big stranglehold on cap space. If he’s 85-100% over the course of the contract , then cool... BUT if he’s often injured or worse, drags out a couple years before becoming career ending, then that is really worst cas scenario than losing him now

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the pussy in dreads

If hes still a spur by next September I will personally log off this website and join lakersground
    This saga is really starting to have silver linings. We could be rid of both hater and dabom!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YES

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supermax is a crap load of money and a big stranglehold on cap space. If he’s 85-100% over the course of the contract , then cool... BUT if he’s often injured or worse, drags out a couple years before becoming career ending, then that is really worst cas scenario than losing him now
    It's a crap load of money when Pop decides to tie up 28 million per on two players who can't even stay on the floor when it matters for 3-4 years.

They better try to fix those two dumbass decisions tbh..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Kawhi even takes a supermax.

Should the Spurs offer one? Only if it's not fully guaranteed and has a games played triggers throughout.

It should be like Embiid's contract. Specific injuries equaling 25 games missed would give the Spurs an out. Embiid's stipulations cover his feet and back, Kawhi's needs to cover his quads, his eye, and his feelings.

Just like Embiid, if it's an unrelated injury, like a broken wrist, those games missed don't count against him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him for any strong young talent as well as picks. Some teams will empty their pockets for a Kawhi Leonard but they'd be absolute fools to do it. He's done as a superstar and thanks to his tendinopathy his prime is already over at 26. Kawhi next year will be like Tony Parker after 2013 and will only get worse from there.

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him for any strong young talent as well as picks. Some teams will empty their pockets for a Kawhi Leonard but they'd be absolute fools to do it. He's done as a superstar and thanks to his tendinopathy his prime is already over at 26. Kawhi next year will be like Tony Parker after 2013 and will only get worse from there.
    One year of rest/rehab didn't even get him back on the court, how can anyone rationally expect him to ever be even 85% again? And tendinopathy is there forever, could flare up again any time.

Supermax has to be out of the question. Spurs would be lucky to get Tatum/lotto pick for Kawhi now. IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s not healthy. He’s saying he has a medical issue that doctors basically can’t see or handle which means how can you believe he will get healthy
    That SPURS doctors can't see... They aren't the only docs in the world... Nor are they the best... Or else they wouldn't be sports doctors (unless ur an idiot that thinks the best doctors work for sports teams)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No... Worst case scenario is him rushing back to prove a point to dumb fans and Tony Parker... Then injuring himself worse... THEN be bogged down for years with the supermax and an injured player... Let the guy heal

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I would say since he made $19 million this season he owed his team a genuine effort. That didn’t happen.
    Since he got misdiagnosed AGAIN, Pop-A- owes him an apology

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Question: assume kawhi has been playing fine this year (same as last). Who believes the spurs offer the Supermax?
    I would not be surprised if Pop asks KL to take less and that a supermax would be crippling.... and that would be ironic considering recent contracts to Mills and Gasol. If that were the case, it would easily explain all of this. I just have a hard time believing spurs offer that size of a contract, but I certainly could be wrong
    Before all this drama I said that I doubted the Spurs would offer a player a super-max in the future.

The rule was made for small markets to keep their superstars, sadly there are markets that can't afford these type of contracts. I guess SA in one of those teams.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 04-16-2018 at 08:25 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Local media scrubs openly pushing the narrative that Kawhi won't be back is like papal smoke at the Vatican.

The decision has been made.
    Exactly

This explains why Pop knowing that Kawhi traveled with Spurs personnel/what's his situation still said "ask him and his group", Parker/Manu comments, and the rest of the drama.

Everyone knows that a trade is coming
    Last edited by YGWHI; 04-16-2018 at 08:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since he got misdiagnosed AGAIN, Pop-A- owes him an apology
    Assuming that is remotely true. Number one pop is not a doctor, and number two how does a misdiagnosis that never required surgery equal him missing the entire season? People with far more serious injuries are coming back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Option 1: Sign super max and hope Kawhi lives up to it and if he is unhappy, trade him after a year (or however long you have to wait to trade a player after signing to super max). When you have him on a multi-year deal, you can get a king's ransom from another team that has loaded up on assets.

Option 2: Trade him without the supermax, but Kawhi will have say in where he goes because he has an opt out and can re-sign somewhere else for the max and he'll have his choice of suitors. That means teams that think they can get him in a year will pay less and teams that take a chance will pay less. Then it will be hard to maximize his value, but they won't have to risk giving him a super max and have him still be injured and still not play and tank his market value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he gets traded I hope to god our fans don't go made and cheer for his ass at his first return in another jersey.. If this is how his Spurs legacy ends, he's dead to me IMO.. We need to channel our inner Philadelphia

Thread Information