My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrat Sen. Joe Manchin said on Wednesday he is opposed to using a procedural process known as reconciliation to pass legislation without Republican support, dealing a potential blow to President Joe Biden's chances of passing a $2.3 trillion infrastructure bill.

"I simply do not believe budget reconciliation should replace regular order in the Senate," Manchin said in an opinion piece in The Washington Post. "Senate Democrats must avoid the temptation to abandon our Republican colleagues on important national issues."

Democrats relied on the budget reconciliation process to pass Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill in March with a simple majority in the Senate. They have been considering doing the same with Biden's proposed infrastructure package.

Normally it would take 60 votes in the 100-person chamber to overcome a filibuster. Manchin from West Virginia is a moderate on some issues willing to cross party lines, so his support is crucial to any bill passing in the 50-50 Senate. Democrats control the chamber because Vice President Kamala Harris can break a tie.

The Senate parliamentarian rule on Monday that Democrats could use reconciliation to pass more legislation this year, and Democrats were considering using the process to pass Biden's investment package.

Biden wants to spend $2.3 trillion on roads and bridges, retrofitting homes, expanding broadband internet access, caring for the elderly, building up domestic manufacturers and building high-speed rail, a proposal that has run into stiff opposition from Republicans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrat Sen. Joe Manchin said on Wednesday he is opposed to using a procedural process known as reconciliation to pass legislation without Republican support, dealing a potential blow to President Joe Biden's chances of passing a $2.3 trillion infrastructure bill.

"I simply do not believe budget reconciliation should replace regular order in the Senate," Manchin said in an opinion piece in The Washington Post. "Senate Democrats must avoid the temptation to abandon our Republican colleagues on important national issues."

Democrats relied on the budget reconciliation process to pass Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill in March with a simple majority in the Senate. They have been considering doing the same with Biden's proposed infrastructure package.

Normally it would take 60 votes in the 100-person chamber to overcome a filibuster. Manchin from West Virginia is a moderate on some issues willing to cross party lines, so his support is crucial to any bill passing in the 50-50 Senate. Democrats control the chamber because Vice President Kamala Harris can break a tie.

The Senate parliamentarian rule on Monday that Democrats could use reconciliation to pass more legislation this year, and Democrats were considering using the process to pass Biden's investment package.

Biden wants to spend $2.3 trillion on roads and bridges, retrofitting homes, expanding broadband internet access, caring for the elderly, building up domestic manufacturers and building high-speed rail, a proposal that has run into stiff opposition from Republicans.
    Link or it is bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we'll see what Manchin does, blocking everything may cease working or become counterproductive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Manchin under the impression Biden hasn’t been trying to get republicans on board? Congress is fully made up of re s

What happens when the inevitable happens and they say no? What is good ol Manchin going to say? Dumb .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kirsten Gillibrand
    @SenGillibrand
    Paid leave is infrastructure.
    Child care is infrastructure.
    Caregiving is infrastructure.

Reck is that infrastructure ? Or is she a re ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manchin: 'No cir stance in which I will vote to eliminate or weaken the filibuster'

WASHINGTON — Sen. Joe Manchin reiterated his opposition to eliminating the filibuster on Wednesday, dimming hopes for changing the contentious rule.

In an opinion piece published in Wednesday in The Washington Post, Manchin, D-W.V. cautioned against ousting the voting procedure to keep the majority party from bypassing minority opinion in enacting legislation.

"The filibuster is a critical tool to protecting that input and our democratic form of government. That is why I have said it before and will say it again to remove any shred of doubt: There is no cir stance in which I will vote to eliminate or weaken the filibuster," Manchin wrote.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/7134039002/

---

Told you this guy is playing with fire, tbh... Mitch is probably laughing out loud at this idiot right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Cons ution has screwed America, and there's no unscrewing possible.

BigDonor class, esp finance, bribes Manchin and dictates his positions, and will reward him, he knows, for his obstruction.

This country is so ed and un able.

Dem Senators have a 40M+ population majority in the Senate, and can't do .
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 04-08-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Cons ution has screwed America, and there's no unscrewing possible.

BigDonor class, esp finance, bribes Manchin and dictates his positions, and will reward him, he knows, for his obstruction.

This country is so ed and un able.
    The Cons ution MADE America, little boy. There was no USA before the Cons ution. Heck, the pre-cons ution, the Articles of Confederation, was even more conservative/libertarian than the U.S. Cons ution.

If you don't like it, quit your ing about it, and move to an actual liberal country that has policies you preach, like in northern Europe somewhere. ing is non productive, you male Karen.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kirsten Gillibrand
    @SenGillibrand
    Paid leave is infrastructure.
    Child care is infrastructure.
    Caregiving is infrastructure.

Reck is that infrastructure ? Or is she a re ?

Jesus Christ, you’re ing re ed.

you literally are dumbest person on this site.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Cons ution MADE America, little boy. There was no USA before the Cons ution. Heck, the pre-cons ution, the Articles of Confederation, was even more conservative/libertarian than the U.S. Cons ution.

If you don't like it, quit your ing about it, and move to an actual liberal country that has policies you preach, like in northern Europe somewhere. ing is non productive, you male Karen.

we can add American history to the list of things you’re clueless about. That list is longer than the list of pretend women you brag about having slept with

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nonproductive ing as opposed to what?

Thread Information