My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By Hugh Morris

“Modern day Magic Johnson.”

Those were the words that legendary St. Anthony’s High School basketball coach Bob Hurley used to describe his All-American senior Kyle Anderson in 2012.

I played high school basketball in New Jersey too; I watched Anderson play half a dozen times, and we competed in the same summer league for two years. I was not buying the Magic Johnson comparison. I thought, ‘How is someone so slow-moving possibly going to have success playing Division I basketball, much less in the NBA?' By being a superior basketball player, not athlete — that’s how.

Kyle Anderson does not really boast elite talent as a ball-handler, or shooter, or defender, or rebounder, or passer. He probably won’t crack the SportsCenter Top 10 for posterizing anybody. He won’t be as flashy as the James Harden and Steph Curry types of the league. But he will make the people around him better, and he will have more poise than his opponent, night in and night out.

Fresh off of a NBA Summer League MVP performance for the Spurs, now seems like an appropriate time to write this piece. I firmly believe that in Gregg Popovich’s system, Kyle Anderson is about to take off — even if he does it at his own pace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice article to kill some time over the long Summer. Thanks Op!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Magic Johson is highly unlikely, but I think a lot of teams/opposing players will be somewhat confused by his game. He won't beat them with speed, but will beat them with his mind. Looking forward to the next season and the one after.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Way too generous on the stat predictions, but OK article.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good find! I hope KA is at least three-quarters as effective as this article predicts. If so, we're set.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for posting this! I wonder how much NBA ball is quick twitch reactions based on similar mechanics held by the average NBA athlete? Slomo's game is so unorthodox in timing and motion, it has to be an advantage. The one good thing about Slomo's lack of speed is should he become even an borderline All Star, his career should extend a long time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good article! Thanks for sharing.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KA is trending in the right direction. Let's hope the improvements translate in regular season games...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the ultimate ceiling for Slomo would be a crackless Lamar Odom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get what you are saying skillset-wise but Lamar was an incredible athlete for what he could do. Not high flyer type, but very good athlete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get what you are saying skillset-wise but Lamar was an incredible athlete for what he could do. Not high flyer type, but very good athlete.
    They are in different stratospheres when it comes to quickness at the same age, you're right. But Lamar scoring and passing out of the post, shooting over guys, rebounding. If Kyle can continue to bulk up I think he can affect the game in very similar ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are in different stratospheres when it comes to quickness at the same age, you're right. But Lamar scoring and passing out of the post, shooting over guys, rebounding. If Kyle can continue to bulk up I think he can affect the game in very similar ways.
    Remember when Walt Frazier compared Kyle to Paul Pierce in Vegas Summer League when the spurs played the Knicks? what a compliment for a 2nd year NBA player! SloMo has great upside for sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that happens the Spurs will win at least 2 more over the next 4 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He used the pumpfake fantastically in SL this year to get guys in the air over and over. I have to wonder though if NBA caliber players will fall for that move over and over as the SL guys did. I am hopeful for KA, but as others have said I think this guy is predicting his ceiling to be too high. I think he is being very optimistic with the triple double predictions as well, nothing that I saw in SL leads me to believe Kyle can put up loads of triple doubles at the pro level.

With all of that said I am optimistic he can be a good bench player and maybe eventually a very effective sixth man. I don't see him being a starter on a contender.

Thread Information