Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not agree with that as i really think the Spurs must need is Defense. I understand the point about the shooting, if he can't hit them it will be difficult because i think he is not an off the ball player.

Like i said i have other players before him in my list but if you want D, playmaking plus some offensive ability inside the arc he's a good choice.
    Nah, they need two-way players. When you're constantly having to choose one at the expense of the other, you end up with the jumbled mess that is the Spurs of the past half decade.

Also, in the playoffs, players who are either liabilities when it comes to floor spacing (minus vertical spacers) or defense can't play more than a marginal role, unless they provide superstar or star level offensive impact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not that either is ideal but at this point and time i'd prefer to see the spurs go with a player that is already solid on the offensive side of the ball but has questions about his defense than the other way around.
    That’s exactly the opposite of what you should do. It’s FAR easier getting a defensive player interested and coached up on offense than an offensive oriented player interested and coached up on D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s exactly the opposite of what you should do. It’s FAR easier getting a defensive player interested and coached up on offense than an offensive oriented player interested and coached up on D.
    i should have been more specific. i was describing someone with limitations on the defensive end, physical limitations, as opposed to a player who just refuses to try and become a two-way player.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, they need two-way players. When you're constantly having to choose one at the expense of the other, you end up with the jumbled mess that is the Spurs of the past half decade.

Also, in the playoffs, players who are either liabilities when it comes to floor spacing (minus vertical spacers) or defense can't play more than a marginal role, unless they provide superstar or star level offensive impact.
    I agree with needing two way players. It's been a bad transition from Marco to Forbes to back to Marco again and now McDermott. As for two way players for the 9th pick, who are you seeing, at any position? For me it's, I guess, Johnny Davis and Jalen Williams. Maybe Dyson Daniels if you talk yourself into his floater being a legit offensive skill. Osmane Dieng possibly but he needs to grow more to be effective with that skinny ass frame.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with needing two way players. It's been a bad transition from Marco to Forbes to back to Marco again and now McDermott. As for two way players for the 9th pick, who are you seeing, at any position? For me it's, I guess, Johnny Davis and Jalen Williams. Maybe Dyson Daniels if you talk yourself into his floater being a legit offensive skill. Osmane Dieng possibly but he needs to grow more to be effective with that skinny ass frame.
    Ogbaji is a good two way player. Would be a nice target with a trade with Charlotte.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams is the only one who might be a two-way player. Davis, Daniels and Dieng can't shoot and like many will have an uphill climb to be able to do so.

Though not known for their defense, Griffin and Mathurin have the physical tools (if the former regains some athleticism/mobility) to be two-way players. Agbaji is already considered as such. Branham is another possibility.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes and I don't see this two way player at 9 except maybe davis. That's why i made the statement about defense first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Williams is the only one who might be a two-way player. Davis, Daniels and Dieng can't shoot and like many will have an uphill climb to be able to do so.
    Johnny Davis is a legit 2 way player. He CAN shoot, he just needs better looks, which will come once he's not the focal point of the offense, and to add a little range. But otherwise he'll be fine.
    Last edited by Ariel; 05-19-2022 at 08:25 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is going to be the guy whether I like it or not, lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would people say he’s a smaller Ben Simmons? Lol hate to bring that name up but seems to have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another guard and this is one that cant shoot ? Nah Hard pass fellas .

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty funny how Australia has produced 3 similar type lottery picks in the last 6 years (Simmons, Giddey, Daniels). Three jumbo sized playmakers who can’t shoot. Although Simmons is in a category all on his own there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you have to pick whether you use in-shoes or barefoot height and then stick with it. You can't list Primo as 6-4 and Daniels at 6-7.5.

Anyway, Daniels' value to me would solely be in his ability to defend guys like Morant and Young. The NBA doesn't have dominant scoring wings right now. The value of defending 6-6 guys isn't there. Might it be there in a few years as guys like Edwards, Green and Suggs grow up? I guess. But the issue right now is that they have a number of team defenders who can't hold up at the point of attack against the current guys dominating the league. Being able to defend your position is nice in terms of win-later value. But in terms of win-now value for the Spurs, they have too many holes.
    What do you consider Boston stars Tatum and Brown, and in the West, Doncic? Add Jimmy Butler there too.

I actually had forgotten about Edwards bc he's so young and I don't watch the Wolves but he's already looking like their best offensive player and is only 20. He's going to be problematic in future years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes and I don't see this two way player at 9 except maybe davis. That's why i made the statement about defense first.
    Mathurin and Griffin (if he regains some athleticism/mobility) at least have the physical tools to be two-way players.

Johnny Davis is a legit 2 way player. He CAN shoot, he just needs better looks, which will come once he's not the focal point of the offense, and to add a little range. But otherwise he'll be fine.
    Maybe, but that's speculative. At this writing, he's yet to prove he can shoot.

I also don't know how much better his looks would be on a team where Murray and Jones are the only creators.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree The top draft picks are the players with high offensive potential and especially bigs with offensive potential.

The best defensive players are not as high in demand because you can't teach God given athleticism/ quickness/ jumping ability which the high offensive guys have.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YouTube the Ignite vs Austin Spurs G-league game from this past season. Primo made Dyson Daniels and Hardy look like high schoolers. Primo used Dyson throughout the game. Primo looked like he was another level when he played against them. Nice put back dunk as well. Primo is way better than both. Spurs won the game by a landslide.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope somebody is dumb enough to draft him in the top 5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YouTube the Ignite vs Austin Spurs G-league game from this past season. Primo made Dyson Daniels and Hardy look like high schoolers. Primo used Dyson throughout the game. Primo looked like he was another level when he played against them. Nice put back dunk as well. Primo is way better than both. Spurs won the game by a landslide.
    Interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said a few days ago that I think Dyson eventually goes before 9. Same with Mathurin. That’d push AJ Griffin right into our laps. Just what our fan base wants tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but because Primo was reworking his shot and trying to learn the sets late in the year, he's the worst player ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said a few days ago that I think Dyson eventually goes before 9. Same with Mathurin. That’d push AJ Griffin right into our laps. Just what our fan base wants tbh.
    It's the reason why I think Keegan Murray could and possibly will drop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I maintain he’s a better overall prospect than Josh Giddey was last year.
    If N.O believes in his shot, you can run him next to CJ without an issue.

CJ, Daniels, Ingram, Jones, Val…. If I’m N.O, you could shake this draft up completely by dangling Zion to Houston for some combination of assets including #3…Jabari Smith would be the perfect fit for that team.
    Last edited by PhantomDashCam; 05-21-2022 at 10:18 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. The whole theory of Josh is that he’s supposed to be a playmaking guard with lots of upside, so in someways it would make the Dyson pick redundant, no? Could see it tilting in the favor of a Sochan at 9 (which still feels like a reach to me) to get that size at the 3/4, or a Johnny Davis who can be a “gets his own shot” type from the wing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a note, Josh Primo is actually younger than Dyson Daniels.

Thread Information