My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And wasn't Hater a chud before?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chumpettes deserve the ass whooping coming their way.

Last edited by Spurtacular; 07-05-2020 at 07:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody constantly seeing that YouTube ad where Biden s up his words and they let it go and just correct him in the sub les? it’s not like the ad is live, they could have given it another go until he got it right.

Which means he messed that line up so many times that the camera guy said “ it, we’ll use this and add sub les.”
    Biden has dealt with stuttering his entire life, and still deals with it. Is this guy the IDEAL liberal candidate? No. But I don't think there's any truth behind his supposed cognitive decline. I mean, him saying he'll leave the pandemic response up to the experts and let Fauci et al have an open mic anytime they want to address the public should prove his mental state is exponentially more stable than Dear Leader.

Some people aren't great at public articulation. Biden should be judged on his platform.

Consider his tax proposals. In line with general Democratic demands, he would raise the corporate profits tax, eliminate deductions for high-income earners, repeal most of the Trump tax cuts and increase taxes on fossil-fuel emissions.

But he doesn’t stop there. His campaign has gone up and beyond, calling for three unique reforms that would dramatically increase taxes on the rich. If Biden’s reforms are implemented, the tax code will become more progressive than it has been for generations.
    https://www.marke ch.com/story/li...ich-2020-07-02

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I'm voting for Yeezy. I don't think Biden or Trump will last another 4 years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While in the theme of mental acuity and wellness..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They both got a decade plus.

But Biden has dementia. No surprise corrupt dems are trotting him out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden has dealt with stuttering his entire life, and still deals with it. Is this guy the IDEAL liberal candidate? No. But I don't think there's any truth behind his supposed cognitive decline. I mean, him saying he'll leave the pandemic response up to the experts and let Fauci et al have an open mic anytime they want to address the public should prove his mental state is exponentially more stable than Dear Leader.

Some people aren't great at public articulation. Biden should be judged on his platform.
    Sorry mid, completely disagree. If good ole Joe had anything going for him, was the empathy and the ability to 'connect' with voters, because his political track record always has been ing disaster.

I'm not going to disagree that even a ing chihuahua is better than Trump at this point, but one thing doesn't excuse the other.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Some people aren't great at public articulation.
    And those people shouldn’t be running for president.

if you think someone who’s had a 35 year career as a center right wing moderate intends to do anything “progressive” as president.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think of Biden as a progressive at all.

That said, he’s put many states in play precisely for being the opposite of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry mid, completely disagree. If good ole Joe had anything going for him, was the empathy and the ability to 'connect' with voters, because his political track record always has been ing disaster.

I'm not going to disagree that even a ing chihuahua is better than Trump at this point, but one thing doesn't excuse the other.
    Disagree with what? Politicians can change course, so his track record is irrelevant. All we can judge him by now is what his current platform is. He's still center-right on some issues, like Medicare for all, but his tax plan is rather progressive.

He's not ideal, but there won't be an ideal liberal candidate for some time, maybe until AOC. Play the hand you're dealt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

if you think someone who’s had a 35 year career as a center right wing moderate intends to do anything “progressive” as president.
    I think a leader should be judged on his ideas and not how seamlessly he can string words together.

Like I told bono, he's far from the ideal lib, but his tax plan is far, far better than any Republican's, so he should get ringing endorsement from progressives regardless.

Now if you believe he'll implement that tax plan once he's in office is another matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I want to expand on why a verbally articulate politician, a "great communicator," if you will, is (or should be) irrelevant at best and can be dangerous at worst.

Irrelevant, because how verbally articulate you are doesn't betray intelligence, integrity, wisdom or any other personally trait we should want in our politicians. Dangerous, because we often see politicians who are "great communicators" use their charisma and articulation to craft vapid rhetoric full of logical fallacies, like appeals to emotion, appeals to tradition, ad hominems, whataboutism, strawmans, and a host of others, and these tricks can be very convincing when spoken "articulately" to a public who doesn't know how to spot logical fallacies. This is also why live debates are re ed. They're usually bounded to two to five minutes per side, and the tricks that usually work in a short time window like that in a debate are the aforementioned fallacies. Not to mention the public always seems to believe the side that was more well spoken and scored more cheap rhetorical points via fallacies was the "winner" of the debate.

Live debates restricted to a few minutes per side really are a poor intellectual forum in which to exchange ideas.

Someone might say, "Well if a politician can't verbally articulate his ideas, then how are we supposed to learn about his ideas?" Reading about them. I get "the great communicator" was highly more important during the era of radio and television, and when the written word was disseminated much more slowly. But that's no longer the case with the Internet, obviously.

This is also why Trump's team is so desperate to get Biden to debate. Trump will of course say a whole bunch of nothing in the debate, but he'll speak that nothing with "energy" and "charisma," while Biden might stumble a bit (even though Biden will likely be making more salient points). Then Fox News can run a loop of Biden stumbling and continue with their cognitive decline mudslinging.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I think a leader should be judged on his ideas and not how seamlessly he can string words together..
    Yeah and I think we should have world peace and in live Candyland, but that’s about as unrealistic as an America with voters who carefully and meticulously judge candidates on ideas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah and I think we should have world peace and in live Candyland, but that’s about as unrealistic as an America with voters who carefully and meticulously judge candidates on ideas.
    And if we don't educate the public in how to critically think, we'll sadly ensure more actors, talk show hosts, reality TV stars, and pro wrestlers get elected to office. I guess if the public is going to keep falling for cheap rhetoric and charisma, vy65's idea of enacting strict qualifications for candidacy is the solution. Maybe a masters degree at minimum. Now of course, ty people still hold masters and doctorates, but at least it'll be somewhat of filter to weed out the Trumps and Reagans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree with what? Politicians can change course, so his track record is irrelevant. All we can judge him by now is what his current platform is. He's still center-right on some issues, like Medicare for all, but his tax plan is rather progressive.

He's not ideal, but there won't be an ideal liberal candidate for some time, maybe until AOC. Play the hand you're dealt
    Disagree that his stuttering and loss of words is something he always had, or unrelated to his age. He used to have a penchant for saying stupid things. Sure, I'll agree he doesn't have dementia (yet), but his age is most definitely showing.

And no, you judge him on his 35 years as a politician. His problem isn't that he changed, the problem is that he changes all the time to whatever direction is politically convenient.

The platform is the smoke and mirrors he's trying to sell you now. It would be 100x more honest if you told me you rather have him than Trump picking SCOTUS judges, at least that certainly a honest point.

lol @ AOC... I don't want her anywhere near a POTUS candidacy. That's how you lose elections.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree that his stuttering and loss of words is something he always had, or unrelated to his age. He used to have a penchant for saying stupid things. Sure, I'll agree he doesn't have dementia (yet), but his age is most definitely showing.

And no, you judge him on his 35 years as a politician. His problem isn't that he changed, the problem is that he changes all the time to whatever direction is politically convenient.

The platform is the smoke and mirrors he's trying to sell you now. It would be 100x more honest if you told me you rather have him than Trump picking SCOTUS judges, at least that certainly a honest point.

lol @ AOC... I don't want her anywhere near a POTUS candidacy. That's how you lose elections.
    I don't believe that. He's in favor of amnesty for the DACA recipients. Walking that back once he got into office would be political suicide.

He's always been a reasonable gun control advocate to the point where wingnuts think he's a gun grabber.

He's against the death penalty (changed course on that).

He wants to raise the fed. min wage to 15.00 an hour. This is a mainstream Dem position now.

He supports:

In concrete terms, Biden supports the College for All Act, which Sanders and Rep. Pramila Jayapal introduced in 2017. The act would provide matching grants to states that want to eliminate tuition at public colleges and universities for any student coming from a household with less than $125,000 in income. When he introduced the bill, Sanders noted this covers about 80 percent of American households — and more affluent households don’t have a huge barrier to higher education. But on the 2020 campaign trail, he disparaged this goal as inadequate and backed zero tuition for all students.
    And:

First, Biden wants to make the federal Section 8 housing voucher program an en lement, like SNAP or Medicaid, so that all eligible families would get help — a huge change from the current situation where 75 percent of low-income families who meet the criteria for help don’t actually get any. This is a longtime goal of anti-poverty wonks that until recently didn’t seem to be on the radar of Democratic Party politicians but has gained considerable steam over the past two years.
    https://www.vox.com/2020/5/26/212576...nomy-tax-plans

And I definitely like this from his 35 years as a politician:

Biden opposed the George W. Bush administration's tax cuts enacted mostly in 2001 and 2003, noting that most of the benefits of the tax cuts went to the very wealthiest U.S. families, and arguing that the cuts did not help working-class and middle-class Americans.[152] The Obama/Biden administration advocated keeping the cuts in place for 98% of U.S. taxpayers but letting them expire on income over $250,000 earned by couples (or income over $200,000 for individuals).[152]
    And we also have to like this from his past career:

Throughout his career, Biden has supported gun control measures.[60] Although he voted for the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act, a bill supported by the National Rifle Association (NRA) that passed the Senate 79–15, Biden also authored the 1993 federal assault weapons ban, and is a longtime supporter of universal background checks, and received "F" ratings from the NRA while he was in Congress.]
    Maybe he'll walk back his tax plan (which is more progressive) once he gets into office, but I think we can at the very least expect him to eliminate Trump's tax cuts, which should be a big

I take it your issue with him is he was a "tough on crime" politician for most of his career and he was hawkish at times (Iraq War)?

I don't see much in his current platform that runs counter to his record (he's always been for more taxes on the wealthy, gun control, etc). He's rather center-left on many issues by American standards.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With career politicians, you throw history out the window. Biden is going to legislate in a way that is politically advantageous for Biden. That means when progressive causes come across his table from a congress that leans left, he's going to sign them.

That's all I care about. Well, and having judges that aren't hand picked by the Heritage Foundation.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure Republicans are glad they didn't sit 2016 out because of Donald Trump's ideological history. Imagine if they were like, "He used to support abortion! He's going to sneak into office and start pushing pro-choice judges!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure Republicans are glad they didn't sit 2016 out because of Donald Trump's ideological history. Imagine if they were like, "He used to support abortion! He's going to sneak into office and start pushing pro-choice judges!"
    This

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And if we don't educate the public in how to critically think, we'll sadly ensure more actors, talk show hosts, reality TV stars, and pro wrestlers get elected to office. I guess if the public is going to keep falling for cheap rhetoric and charisma, vy65's idea of enacting strict qualifications for candidacy is the solution. Maybe a masters degree at minimum. Now of course, ty people still hold masters and doctorates, but at least it'll be somewhat of filter to weed out the Trumps and Reagans.
    Good post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe that. He's in favor of amnesty for the DACA recipients. Walking that back once he got into office would be political suicide.

He's always been a reasonable gun control advocate to the point where wingnuts think he's a gun grabber.

He's against the death penalty (changed course on that).

He wants to raise the fed. min wage to 15.00 an hour. This is a mainstream Dem position now.

He supports:

And:

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/26/212576...nomy-tax-plans

And I definitely like this from his 35 years as a politician:

And we also have to like this from his past career:

Maybe he'll walk back his tax plan (which is more progressive) once he gets into office, but I think we can at the very least expect him to eliminate Trump's tax cuts, which should be a big

I take it your issue with him is he was a "tough on crime" politician for most of his career and he was hawkish at times (Iraq War)?

I don't see much in his current platform that runs counter to his record (he's always been for more taxes on the wealthy, gun control, etc). He's rather center-left on many issues by American standards.

You're listing all the stuff he's supposedly for now, but I take issue with him being a career politician who has changed his views to whatever was convenient at any time.

Just search 'Joe Biden regrets"... Glass Steagall repeal, supported the Iraq war, Anita Hill, the '94 crime bill, segregationist busing...

That's the problem with Joe, he is everything you want him to be all the time it's expedient to be that way, because he has no principles whatsoever.

And don't pretend people don't see through that. Shillary had a very progressive 'platform' too, but people can tell who's full of .

If he checks your boxes, good for you. But let's not pretend this 70-some dude is suddenly a changed man. He is who he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're listing all the stuff he's supposedly for now, but I take issue with him being a career politician who has changed his views to whatever was convenient at any time.

Just search 'Joe Biden regrets"... Glass Steagall repeal, supported the Iraq war, Anita Hill, the '94 crime bill, segregationist busing...

That's the problem with Joe, he is everything you want him to be all the time it's expedient to be that way, because he has no principles whatsoever.

And don't pretend people don't see through that. Shillary had a very progressive 'platform' too, but people can tell who's full of .

If he checks your boxes, good for you. But let's not pretend this 70-some dude is suddenly a changed man. He is who he is.
    He checks some boxes, and that's better than a lying who checks no boxes, like Dear Leader. Not to mention Trump is currently criminally insane. Holding rallies during a pandemic and not requiring masks or social distancing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He checks some boxes, and that's better than a lying who checks no boxes, like Dear Leader. Not to mention Trump is currently criminally insane. Holding rallies during a pandemic and not requiring masks or social distancing.
    I can't disagree with that. Like I said, even a chihuahua is a better leader than Orangina, tbh. That's exactly what Joe has going for him, he's not Trump.

I just feel rather uncomfortable when somebody tries to put lipstick on that pig, and your previous post sorta sounded like that (maybe I misinterpreted).

Side question, somewhat related: if Joe loses, does the DNC has to blow it up and start again? Or are we gonna run 73-year old Chuck Schummer and Elena, and pretend they're progressive next time around?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His team better have him popping adderalls before each debate.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He said Jill Biden but yeah, would have been a lot easier to pick a candidate who speaks clearly and annunciates his words.
    Enunciate (pronounced “ee-nuhn-see-ate”) is a verb. It means to speak with utmost clarity, saying each word slowly and pronouncing each syllable fully. ... Annunciate (pronounced “uh-nuhn-see-ate”) is a verb. It means to announce.
    Enunciate. There. I've educated you son.

Thread Information