Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the argument here? Morris got double to play in NYC, prick move but tell me you wouldn't do the same? Also, he wasn’t falling out of the league. The San Antonio Spurs really have become Hoosiers west; fans and all.
    The point is that they don't avoid all of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least KBD will give you a few quality minutes. The spurs are probably already looking at who they may cut even before training camp starts. KBD signing may be insurance in case something unexpected happens before the season starts. He isn't bad, he isn't great but he does what he is asked to do and doesn't complain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is that they don't avoid all of them.
    Get it and good point although that debacle probably will continue to make them think twice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i like eubanks as the 3rd center, but it doesnt make sense to carry a 4th C, and i dont think they brought SOB over only to cut him in favor of eubanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s no way SA should be buying Thad out at any time..
    Yeah, enough of this buying guys out and subsidizing a player for a contender. I actually want a vet on the team and he fits the bill but if he doesn't fit into your plans, get something, anything for him.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say I can't imagine Luka being on the block to be cut given what we saw out of him when he actually got some run last year, but we've got a senile old fool and the NBA's worst GM making decisions. So yeah, it's possible.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite a likely partial guarantee on the first season, he's probably still a long shot, but it's a clear indication Samanic isn't the stone cold lock many seem to think/hope and in a general sense, they probably don't want a bunch of fringe players on a bad team thinking they're safe.

Young for a 1st into the Celtics' TE probably sailed with the acquisition of Hernangomez, which means the only way to trade for him without either bringing back a player(s) or at least increasing the number, is to include a third team, like the Thunder (a good 2nd for Smith? a bad 2nd for Eubanks? a 2nd via the Timberwolves to absorb Prince?) who have the roster and cap space to absorb a body.
    Last edited by TD 21; 09-07-2021 at 06:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say I can't imagine Luka being on the block to be cut given what we saw out of him when he actually got some run last year, but we've got a senile old fool and the NBA's worst GM making decisions. So yeah, it's possible.
    Luka was drafted 20 slots too early and was always 2 years away from being 2 years away. If the rumblings about his work ethic and supposed “low character” are true he probably is close to the exit whether warranted or not. Either way this is all a rounding error.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aggie gets it ^

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goodbye Luka ....

I'm flying over you ...

Goodbye Luka ....

But seriously, I think Luka has more potential to be a player than KBD, but it is what it is.

He wouldn't be the first player cut by the Spurs who went on to a long career. JaMychal Green, Garrett Temple, Ian... It happens.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ Yeah and just like with Scola, it doesn't really matter. You gotta be willing to move on. Of course, I don't know that Luka has all that much more potential than KBD anyway if he loses out to him in a straight compe ion in camp. It's like how folks kept saying for years that a bunch of replacement-level two-guards were better than Danny Green. Years and les later, eventually one just has to give up the ghost and admit being a good role-player takes skills and that not every prospect can do it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scola mattered big time, he was a playoff rotation caliber player. Dumping Scola at minimum cost them a series win or two, maybe even more.

Luka and KBD are just guys hoping to get in a 10 man rotation for a lottery team, and probably won't no matter who wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This all would seem so much simpler if we hadn't signed Forbes.

Fvck!

I couldn't have said it better myself!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD is playing for playing for The San Antonio Spurs.. Get over it!! Geez.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems like the FO is prioritizing flexibility, but it makes trying to understand their motivations hard to decipher, more than usual, in my opinion. I want to think that the KBD signing is a leverage to motivate Luka to prove himself, which would be a good idea. I think Luka would have to be really bad in preseason to cut him.

Or, maybe I'm in denial that the team would just straight cut Luka. That seems insane to me, especially since the FO are the ones who reached for him, and so they should factor a full 3-year timeline into their development expectations. I do think Luka has learned to somewhat get along with teammates and smile at times. And hey, he may have his own youth and demons he's working through. And maybe there is behind the scenes stuff going on that has already burnt a bridge. But that's not my read of the situation. We'll see.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of this simply makes more sense had the team never signed Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not be surprised at all if this re ed FO flat out cut Luka
    That might be the smartest thing they did in a long time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take a flyer on someone who can flat out ball and let Pop work his magic if the fella needs a father figure. Regardless my argument was that we don’t need to be guaranteeing any of these recent signings when we don’t have the roster space and I suspect they have very little, if any interest away. We are near 20 deep with 7 guys who are borderline NBA players. I do not understand this strategy. In the absence of a trade these guys coulda been picked up cheaper midseason. If not available there are 50 other borderline guys who can be had cheaper. Depth, no matter how shallow is useless when you are already lottery bound. I would salut these last few signings when we were on the verge of compe iveness. PATFO needs to realize we are a bottom 5 team and adjust their strategy. Actually they should have realized that 2 yrs ago.
    At this point, Pop is more of a senile grandfather figure. And we aren't a compe or so the enticement of winning a ring isn't there for these kind of players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We drafted a guy at 19 who might not have as much potential as KBD....lol PATFO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We drafted a guy at 19 who might not have as much potential as KBD....lol PATFO
    To be fair, Brian Wright thought he was drafting the other Luka. Simple mistake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be fair, Brian Wright thought he was drafting the other Luka. Simple mistake.
    Got Puka instead...smh I'm going on a posting spree if they cut the POS. It was a bad pick from day one, and yet so many were eager to take a bite of that Puka Sammich...

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's frustrating because sammich has the physical attributes AND the basketball skills ... but so far something about that boy aint right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spotrac has KBD's contract listed as one-year at the minimum and it being completely unguaranteed. If that's correct, then he's far and away the most likely to be released. At that price tag, he's basically a training camp body who would only make the team if there's a trade or Zollins' ankle implodes in the next month.

Woj said it was a two-year contract ... so not sure if Spotrac is correct but they usually end up being right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's frustrating because sammich has the physical attributes AND the basketball skills ... but so far something about that boy aint right
    Yeah, truly a head scratcher as to why Luka hasn't excelled in the way he has expected to. I believe everyone deals with pressure & high expectations differently. For a 19 year old kid coming from Croatia to the US; to play in the best basketball professional league in the world (NBA), & to be drafted to one of the most successful & well respected NBA franchises in the Spurs, & to play for one of basketball's GOAT coaches in Pop, could have been overwhelming for a kid far from home. I'm sure that he was homesick, too, but I'm sure that he was a bit immature, as well, having to deal with all of those high expectations & pressures. Learning to adjust to the NBA; a new culture, & the Spurs' system, could have been a bit overwhelming that first year, into his second. To me, he's always seemed to be distant from the players on the team at first. He didn't seem to be connected & clicking with his teammates at first. But last season, you started to see him open up a little bit, & be more comfortable with them. His confidence, I believe, will key for this guy to have a successful NBA career. That will come with more consistent playing time for him, which I think, that this may be the year that he will have a break-out year to hopefully see the Luka we were told about in his days in the Euro Leagues, as well as seeing flashes of him being a really good basketball player. With his growing confidence, hopefully, we may get to see better shooting percentage; more points scoring & increased aggressiveness from him, on both the offensive & defensive sides of the court. Looks like from some of the social media pics & info that was seen on him this summer, Luka has been working on his body & his game! I'm sure that PATFO had told him that he needed to work on his game & body this summer, & if so, the sky is the limit for him to earn consistent minutes, either as a starter or coming off the bench, especially now that RG22 is gone. l'm looking forward to seeing what new stuff he has in his bag, as well as how he will respond in training camp. I'm rooting for him to do well & to succeed going forward. GSG!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was honestly expecting a two-year min deal with almost nothing guaranteed. Seems like KBD had no interest in a two-way and SA had no interest in a real deal. Odd that they wouldn't renounce him.

Though a one-year deal leaves open a chance for an X-10 provision, meaning he might end up as a two-way after all.

Thread Information