My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    basketballtalk
    Report: Gregg Popovich plans to coach out five-year contract http://dlvr.it/BQNhDp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That second meeting could be the reason :

Pop will be with Aldridge & the Spurs to share his brilliant mind so he'll sign long term contract....the assurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is getting $11million per year. He should coach until he is 110 years old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great timing tbh...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta think Pop will want to enjoy his golden years away at some point?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta think Pop will want to enjoy his golden years away at some point?
    Doesn'r look like ir. He's like 70 now, and signed that contract last summer.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn'r look like ir. He's like 70 now, and signed that contract last summer.
    66. Will be something like 70 at the end of his contract (if he doesn't resign first).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    66. Will be something like 70 at the end of his contract (if he doesn't resign first).
    He's probably going to resign the first year the Spurs don't win the championship.

The 2013 loss and the work required for 2014 really takes its toll on a person.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's probably going to resign the first year the Spurs don't win the championship.

The 2013 loss and the work required for 2014 really takes its toll on a person.
    Pop looked exhausted at times last season. Hopefully, he gets in some good vacationing, good dieting and exercise and comes back a little refreshed. Barring a major health scare, I don't see Pop retiring while either Timmy and Manu are still here. Once they leave, it might feel a little bit more like a job than a labor of love.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop looked exhausted at times last season. Hopefully, he gets in some good vacationing, good dieting and exercise and comes back a little refreshed. Barring a major health scare, I don't see Pop retiring while either Timmy and Manu are still here. Once they leave, it might feel a little bit more like a job than a labor of love.
    I don't see that happening, not when he told Lamarcus he was planning to coach another 4 years at least.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see that happening, not when he told Lamarcus he was planning to coach another 4 years at least.
    I don't think Pop (who is a straight shooter) considers that a lie b/c he can see that happening. But retirement is not off the table going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course it's not completely off the table...if his health takes a serious turn for the worse, he's not going to continue coaching just because he originally told LMA that was the plan (at least I'd hope not).

Assuming he holds up health-wise, I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't coach through the 2017-2018 season.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course it's not completely off the table...if his health takes a serious turn for the worse, he's not going to continue coaching just because he originally told LMA that was the plan (at least I'd hope not).

Assuming he holds up health-wise, I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't coach through the 2017-2018 season.
    I believe that's when Parker's contract ends. I assume you're implying Parker might retire then; and Pop might feel inclined to walk away right about then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe that's when Parker's contract ends. I assume you're implying Parker might retire then; and Pop might feel inclined to walk away right about then.
    Nah I didn't really mean it like that necessarily. You are correct in that Parker's contract will be up then, though, and LMA will also have a player option that offseason as well.

Really I was just saying that I don't see him leaving within the next 3 years unless he starts having serious health problems.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 more years Pop! Hope your ticker holds up!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is getting paid $11 million per year to do what he loves and he gets to travel by private jet and stays in the nicest hotels in each city on the road. I think he keeps coaching as long as he loves it and as long as his health allows him to keep doing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all know he doesn't talk like it, but Pop is a lifer. He's probably realized it already and signed that new extension. If his health holds up he'll be coaching.

Thread Information