Page 9 of 164 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Landing any of the moderate, top 5 talent in this draft, especially at the 3/4 position will make a difference but none of these guys have shown enough to be clear franchise players.
    As someone who's not following the college season at all - what makes Banchero not a "clear franchise player" prospect? Every time I see or read something about him, he looks like the "real deal". Of course, lots of hype to be had for top prospects in any given draft, but he does look like the perfect modern PF you want for a team. I get the concerns about Chet, but haven't really seen anything for him as far as "bust potential" except that he sweats a lot

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is definitely a top 3 talent is he going to be Timmy or David type of talent nope but those two come once in a lifetime. I would take him in a heartbeat and thank the basketball Gods for letting us draft him. I think a lot has to do that he has forever been looked at a top 3 talent so more news look at everything thing these guys do and over analyze and generally make up ie. Fake News.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As someone who's not following the college season at all - what makes Banchero not a "clear franchise player" prospect? Every time I see or read something about him, he looks like the "real deal". Of course, lots of hype to be had for top prospects in any given draft, but he does look like the perfect modern PF you want for a team. I get the concerns about Chet, but haven't really seen anything for him as far as "bust potential" except that he sweats a lot
    Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Durant, etc. all dominated the college scene with epic stats (counting and advanced). These guys (Jabari, Chet, Banchero) are nowhere close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is definitely a top 3 talent is he going to be Timmy or David type of talent nope but those two come once in a lifetime. I would take him in a heartbeat and thank the basketball Gods for letting us draft him. I think a lot has to do that he has forever been looked at a top 3 talent so more news look at everything thing these guys do and over analyze and generally make up ie. Fake News.
    I laugh every time at posters thinking we're gonna tank and get "the next Timmy/Drob", while fundamentally misunderstanding what made those two prospects so sure-fire. There will never again be players of their calibre staying 4 years in college (and further in the Navy in DRob's case), the money/publicity/development disparity between college and the NBA is way too big nowadays. Timmy was regarded as a top prospect since his first year, yet stayed on and dominated an additional 3 YEARS. I can't fathom Banchero doing anything like that, nor any other top prospect.

Agree on the overanalyzing nowadays. Everything's a clip, every second analyzed, every play dissected. Sometimes what you see is what you have... Less is more. Rooting for Banchero, he looks like exactly what the Spurs are missing right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anthony Davis, Zion Williamson, Durant all dominated the college scene with epic stats (counting and advanced). These guys (Jabari, Chet, Banchero) are nowhere close.
    Hmm, interesting, do you have stats comparisons for them? Mainly Zion/AD, since I don't doubt we won't see another KD-level player for a good while, if ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm, interesting, do you have stats comparisons for them? Mainly Zion/AD, since I don't doubt we won't see another KD-level player for a good while, if ever.

Take note: Chet's and Jabari's stats shown here are inflated with the per 36 numbers (I hate that stat). There's no guarantee their production would increase with more playing time.

WS/40 has been a good indicator for past sure-fire prospects. I believe >.300 is the mark.

I'm not trying to say Chet, Jabari, Paolo draft positions are unwarranted. Just saying they're not a sure-fire thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Take note: Chet's and Jabari's stats shown here are inflated with the per 36 numbers (I hate that stat). There's no guarantee their production would increase with more playing time.

WS/40 has been a good indicator for past sure-fire prospects. I believe >.300 is the mark.

I'm not trying to say Chet, Jabari, Paolo draft positions are unwarranted. Just saying they're not a sure-fire thing.

You compared them with the Top top, Williamson and Davis are unique. And you're right they are not a sure fire thing for the moment.

Imo the more ready and sure thing is Banchero, i really think he's playing calm at Duke and he could be way better.
    Last edited by duncan2150; 01-08-2022 at 06:11 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So are you saying Holmgren is the best chance at being a star?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So are you saying Holmgren is the best chance at being a star?
    At 25 minutes per game, he certainly is making some type of special impact. Who knows if he played a few more minutes if that will remove him from that tier? I’m always wary of players who played less minutes than others, not to mention his physical stature already had me concerned. There are a lot of variables regarding Holmgreen that have to be taken accounted for, as with any other prospect. These stats aren’t fool-proof, just like how I wouldn’t rely on them in the NBA to gauge player impact and value. They are useful when correct context is used.

Honestly, I like last year’s crop of *obvious* top tier talent than this year. When I say “obvious”, I mean the surface-level draftable talent. There very well could be a top tier talent later in that draft outside the top 5 (cough…Primo…cough) and we don’t know yet.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 01-08-2022 at 08:49 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At 25 minutes per game, he certainly is making some type of special impact. Who knows if he played a few more minutes if that will remove him from that tier? I’m always wary of players who played less minutes than others, not to mention his physical stature already had me concerned. There are a lot of variables regarding Holmgreen that have to be taken accounted for, as with any other prospect. These stats aren’t fool-proof, just like how I wouldn’t rely on them in the NBA to gauge player impact and value. They are useful when correct context is used.

Honestly, I like last year’s crop of *obvious* top tier talent than this year. When I say “obvious”, I mean the surface-level draftable talent. There very well could be a top tier talent later in that draft outside the top 5 (cough…Primo…cough) and we don’t know yet.
    Thanks. Appreciate the insight.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing to note is that a lot of talent Freshmen last year didn't get a lot of burn last year "Covid" and so didn't come out for the draft. The same thing is kinda happening this year with Covid which means if teams with good scouting department can possible find some diamonds in the rough - which we got 3 picks this draft I am hoping for the best

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? There isn't much of a statistical difference between 8th and 9th.

Everyone is going to have their own cutoff line for where they feel percentage wise that they have a shot at a top 4 pick. That’s mine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No past “sure thing” prospect played like a role player in college.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Landing any of the moderate, top 5 talent in this draft, especially at the 3/4 position will make a difference but none of these guys have shown enough to be clear franchise players. That is where scouting, player development, proper roster construction, corporate culture comes into play.

LBJ, TD, Shaq, DRob all went #1 but would have provided 30 game turnarounds on any team that drafted them.
    30+ hasn’t been the yardstick for franchise players in at least 20 years. LBJ didn’t even hit that improvement mark until his 3rd season, and he’s in the conversation for GOAT. There are no more plug and play 30 win guys, and there never will be again. The definition of franchise player now includes a development curve of a couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    30+ hasn’t been the yardstick for franchise players in at least 20 years. LBJ didn’t even hit that improvement mark until his 3rd season, and he’s in the conversation for GOAT. There are no more plug and play 30 win guys, and there never will be again. The definition of franchise player now includes a development curve of a couple of years.
    Part development curve, part the fact that the talent in the NBA is pretty damn high these days.

TD/DRob turn around also had other factors. TD came back to a pretty good team with the return of DRob. DRob came in a year later with Elliott.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My dark horse pick blew up today. That turnaround J is a thing of beauty. It’s only a matter of time before his stock skyrockets…at least, I think so.

Last edited by Dejounte; 01-09-2022 at 09:29 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won’t be in our first round draft range but I could easily see us picking him up as the first of the second round picks. I think there are a lot of players who are all bunched up together it’s going to see who steps up during March madness

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My dark horse pick blew up today. That turnaround J is a thing of beauty. It’s only a matter of time before his stock skyrockets…at least, I think so.

tankathon currently has him going #29 to Golden State

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won’t be in our first round draft range but I could easily see us picking him up as the first of the second round picks. I think there are a lot of players who are all bunched up together it’s going to see who steps up during March madness
    tankathon currently has him going #29 to Golden State
    Tankathon had Roko Prkacin as a lottery pick all year last year and he didn’t end up getting drafted. Mock drafts can be very wrong, especially this early.

I called Franz and Giddey leaping from their mid lottery to late first round to top 10 pick.

My hot take this year is EJ will leap the draft boards closer to the draft. Probably will get in the #10 to #15 range.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tankathon had Roko Prkacin as a lottery pick all year last year and he didn’t end up getting drafted. Mock drafts can be very wrong, especially this early.

I called Franz and Giddey leaping from their mid lottery to late first round to top 10 pick.

My hot take this year is EJ will leap the draft boards closer to the draft. Probably will get in the #10 to #15 range.
    Prkacin withdrew, it's not that he wouldn't have gotten drafted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prkacin withdrew, it's not that he wouldn't have gotten drafted.
    Didn’t he withdraw as a result of not getting the positive feedback he wanted from teams? I.e. his stock was not as high as mock drafts perceived him to be.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not a big fan of the fit on our team as i think he's similar to Johnson ( Small PF) but he could have an NBA carreer without a doubt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t he withdraw as a result of not getting the positive feedback he wanted from teams? I.e. his stock was not as high as mock drafts perceived him to be.
    He withdrew last year because a lot of mocks had him taller then what he was ane this year he will probably withdraw as he suffered I believe a broken ankle.

But I think your right him moving up but I see him anywhere from 16 to 27 depending on how he does against tourney opponents

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +insanely confident
    +skilled
    +high basketball IQ

I’m going to focus on these three components in prospects. What the Spurs have in Primo is special and I think these are the three things about him that sets him apart. So the question is, who checks the boxes in this draft?

My early find is Dyson Daniels.

Already talks like a Spur and speaks with maturity beyond his age.

Read that he prides himself as a good defender.

Makes exceptional passes.

Australian.

Seems even keeled.

This is the guy.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 01-10-2022 at 10:09 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Also is a capable ball handler for a wing and in a ball handler dominant league, he will be useful right away.

Thread Information