Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God I hope not. Would suck to see San Antonio have to dump Pre K or something else useful to give millionaires and billionaires a new arena for 75% off. Not sure why the city would be so eager though, these stadiums never pay for themselves.
    Oh I agree. The money for big time sports just gets stupid. There's a fair chance the city can just soak the tourists like the county did. I do think there is a perceived need for a downtown arena for multiple events. The trick is not letting all the money go to SS&E.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Attendance is down across the league and not just in markets and rebuilding situations like San Antonio. It will be explained away by pandemic, but frankly it’s part of a larger trend tied to how younger fans consume the sport.

In that world you gotta give folks more options in a proximate location to the sporting venue— bars/dinner, betting, nightlife — or alternatively make your stadium a hub for all that stuff. Bottom line the ATT center is neither.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Attendance is down across the league and not just in markets and rebuilding situations like San Antonio. It will be explained away by pandemic, but frankly it’s part of a larger trend tied to how younger fans consume the sport.

In that world you gotta give folks more options in a proximate location to the sporting venue— bars/dinner, betting, nightlife — or alternatively make your stadium a hub for all that stuff. Bottom line the ATT center is neither.
    At least lots of hookers nearby though.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Interesting that they’re planning a game in the Alamodome. Can they demo that thing and use the location for next stadium?
    that would be incredible for the franchise and the city itself.

still not as good as moving to austin but downtown sa >>> at&t center.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least lots of hookers nearby though.

Tell ur mom to stop hookin. Spurs up hoes down.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My home team is the Hornets. In 2020 they were ranked 28 in home attendance. Last year they were 10th and this year they were 15th in home attendance. The Hornets' arena is located in the best location of Charlotte where all the clubs, bars, restaurants are located. Still despite this until the last 2 years they had terrible home attendance. What I think has caused their home attendance to change is they are now a promising young team with an exciting young star in Lamelo plus they are now playing above .500 ball. Spurs need to start winning to improve their attendance. This is easier said then done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mexico is part of the league's international ambitions. But Austin? That's not a home game. The taxpayers paid for that arena for the benefits that home games will supposedly bring. This is a good deal for the league, a good deal for the Spurs to test the relocation waters, but a lousy thing for SA.
    There's a ton of Spurs fans in Austin. It's only 90 minutes away (or like 15 on a jet).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My home team is the Hornets. In 2020 they were ranked 28 in home attendance. Last year they were 10th and this year they were 15th in home attendance. The Hornets' arena is located in the best location of Charlotte where all the clubs, bars, restaurants are located. Still despite this until the last 2 years they had terrible home attendance. What I think has caused their home attendance to change is they are now a promising young team with an exciting young star in Lamelo plus they are now playing above .500 ball. Spurs need to start winning to improve their attendance. This is easier said then done.
    Exactly..............winning solves everything. Noone said shiat about home games elsewhere or moving when we had the Big 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see this as a harbinger of a future move to Austin. I suspect this is a move to increase local viewership
    Yes there are Spurs fans in Austin- and that's part the reason to do this.
    A lot NBA team revenue comes from local media rights and there is a huge disparity in this. Lakers get 140 million Memphis gets 9 million. I suspect The Spurs is closer to Memphis.
    "National revenues drive up the cap, but local revenues are needed to keep up with player salaries," one owner explained to ESPN. "If a team can't generate enough local revenues, they lose money."
    Having Austin viewership will help but Mexico City? That would be huge.

Austin in some aspects is the bright shiny new toy or Grass is greener.
    SA and Austin Metro areas are similar in size and GDP. I keep hearing how it will merge into a large metroplex, but I don't see it. Even combined they wouldn't make the top 10 and the distance is too large.
    Center of Dallas to center of Forth Worth is ~31 miles. In Atlanta the vast majority of the population is within a 30 mile radius.

Seattle is far and away the destination that could pull a team. Of course arena issues are a problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see this as a harbinger of a future move to Austin. I suspect this is a move to increase local viewership
    A lot NBA team revenue comes from local media rights and there is a huge disparity in this. Lakers get 140 million Memphis gets 9 million. I suspect The Spurs is closer to Memphis.
    "National revenues drive up the cap, but local revenues are needed to keep up with player salaries," one owner explained to ESPN. "If a team can't generate enough local revenues, they lose money."

SA and Austin Metro areas are similar in size and GDP. I keep hearing how it will merge into a large metroplex, but I don't see it. Even combined they wouldn't make the top 10 and the distance is too large.
    Center of Dallas to center of Forth Worth is ~31 miles. In Atlanta the vast majority of the population is within a 30 mile radius.

Seattle is far and away the destination that could pull a team. Of course arena issues are a problem.
    As someone who has basically split his lifetime in San Antonio and Austin, I agree that the distance is too great to reliably expect the already established fan-base in San Antonio to travel to Austin.

I'm a die-hard Spurs fan...always have been, always will be. When I lived in San Antonio, I would usually go to 3-5 games a year.

Now that I'm living in north Austin, I'm lucky to make it to one or two games a year because it's an entirely different commitment.

I have to decide if I want to spend 2 hours each way in high traffic times, or pay out for a hotel in SA and make a trip of it. Either way, it's a lot more planning and money spent rather than just checking to see if some tickets are available for a random game or whatever and driving 15 minutes to get there.

If the Spurs were really to commit to moving to Austin, they'd have to be fairly certain that they could establish an entirely new fan base here because I guarantee the average Spurs fan isn't going to make that trip regularly. And as I mentioned before, you would be trying to sell a new team in UT territory. Austin FC has shown that's not impossible, but still a challenge.

The other option would be to split the difference and set up somewhere like New Braunfels or San Marcos, but then you are asking BOTH people from San Antonio and Austin to drive out and that's a tough sell to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As someone who has basically split his lifetime in San Antonio and Austin, I agree that the distance is too great to reliably expect the already established fan-base in San Antonio to travel to Austin.

I'm a die-hard Spurs fan...always have been, always will be. When I lived in San Antonio, I would usually go to 3-5 games a year.

Now that I'm living in north Austin, I'm lucky to make it to one or two games a year because it's an entirely different commitment.

I have to decide if I want to spend 2 hours each way in high traffic times, or pay out for a hotel in SA and make a trip of it. Either way, it's a lot more planning and money spent rather than just checking to see if some tickets are available for a random game or whatever and driving 15 minutes to get there.

If the Spurs were really to commit to moving to Austin, they'd have to be fairly certain that they could establish an entirely new fan base here because I guarantee the average Spurs fan isn't going to make that trip regularly. And as I mentioned before, you would be trying to sell a new team in UT territory. Austin FC has shown that's not impossible, but still a challenge.

The other option would be to split the difference and set up somewhere like New Braunfels or San Marcos, but then you are asking BOTH people from San Antonio and Austin to drive out and that's a tough sell, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The other option would be to split the difference and set up somewhere like New Braunfels or San Marcos, but then you are asking BOTH people from San Antonio and Austin to drive out and that's a tough sell, too.
    One time in the distant past when the Spurs and Rockets where somewhat struggling I suggested to one of my Houston friends they should combine the two and call them the Schulenburg Sprockets

Would agree moving the team to Austin would necessitate the need to create a new fan base and you would give up generational fan base. And it's not like your moving to a top 10 metro area either

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a ton of Spurs fans in Austin. It's only 90 minutes away (or like 15 on a jet).

Yeah, I said later in the thread that if they are trying to drum up interest in Austin to get people to commute to Spurs games, it would benefit SA. IF having two proxy "home" games will accomplish that. Like I said, that looks a little thin to me, but it's a theory.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God I hope not. Would suck to see San Antonio have to dump Pre K or something else useful to give millionaires and billionaires a new arena for 75% off. Not sure why the city would be so eager though, these stadiums never pay for themselves.

LOL. Oh, man, I wish I could just speak freely. There are a hundred different ways that "friends" in government can and do get compensated. I heard a rumor about a City Councilman who was given 4 ridiculously good tickets to the Final Four some years back that were worth about $1,500 each through scalpers. Just a rumor. Not that he gave them to us or anything. That would have been wrong for me to accept.

It's not that "the city" would be eager. Just the few necessary officials.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One time in the distant past when the Spurs and Rockets where somewhat struggling I suggested to one of my Houston friends they should combine the two and call them the Schulenburg Sprockets

Would agree moving the team to Austin would necessitate the need to create a new fan base and you would give up generational fan base. And it's not like your moving to a top 10 metro area either
    The San Antonio metro population is actually larger than the Austin metro population...it's just far more spread out and not as "hip". But like you said, the Spurs already have deep roots in the community and local businesses, something that would have to be totally reset if they moved to Austin.

Somewhere like Seattle would obviously embrace any team they got, but I anticipate they'll get one through expansion before a team moves there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs better start winning or they can say goodbye in 2032. I have faith we're on the right track..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I said later in the thread that if they are trying to drum up interest in Austin to get people to commute to Spurs games, it would benefit SA. IF having two proxy "home" games will accomplish that. Like I said, that looks a little thin to me, but it's a theory.
    Either way, you'd have 99% Spurs fans in attendance at an Austin home game. And it takes the team only slightly longer to get there. So how is that not a home game?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well then those sir aren't "home" games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sayonara spurs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not going to pretend to so much as have a feel for their intentions, but I do know that franchises with this type of (recent) history generally don't move and the optics of it even being a remote possibility is not something a league would want.

Call it naive, but maybe this is just to scare the community into not taking them for granted and/or the league into giving them a high pick so that they have an attraction to sell to casuals.

David Beat Me Up :(
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair, but I'd argue our sports markets are very different. You are right smack in the middle of college sports fandom with SEC football to the south and ACC basketball to the north, so fans have many more in-person options (not to mention the NFL Panthers). We only really have the Spurs to enjoy in person.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair, but I'd argue our sports markets are very different. You are right smack in the middle of college sports fandom with SEC football to the south and ACC basketball to the north, so fans have many more in-person options (not to mention the NFL Panthers). We only really have the Spurs to enjoy in person.
    The fact that college sports is so big in NC should prove why winning is important when it comes to getting good attendance. Sure like you mentioned Charlotte has the Panthers, and college sports but they don't have an impact on the Hornets attendance when they are winning. It really comes down to winning more so than location.

Charlotte also used to lead the league in home attendance for nearly all of the 90's. It fell apart once scandals hit the team with the ownership group along with their attempts to move. If those scandals didn't happen and the team consistently played above .500 ball like they did during the 90's and early '00s there is no doubt in my mind their attendance would be one of the best in the league.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed sporting venues need to be walkable and near downtown bars, restaurants and the like. You think attendance took a big hit when Pop alienates half of the spurs fans with his political rants? All this $hit adds up to poor attendance and lack of support! Spurs are good as gone!

Thread Information