Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other questions:

Are the Spurs the dumbest team in the NBA?

Is the Spurs front office the dumbest in the NBA?

Is Popovich the dumbest coach in the NBA?

Is Brian Wright the dumbest GM in the NBA?
    Are Spurs fans the dumbest in the NBA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tunnel vision isn’t the same as low bball iq

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan had a great game last night. However, I am sick of him chucking 3s like he is Curry. Most of them are air balls, short by 2-3 feet. Also, he needs to learn how to box out on the boards. Stop with all the chucking please.

Honestly, he has the size and build of Dennis Rodman. However, he has none of Rodman's rebound awareness. What he should do is contact the Worm, pay him some money and use him to teach rebound fundamentals. He is a decent defender, but has the potential to be very good, if not great. He just needs someone like Dennis to show him the ropes. Bruce Bowen could also assist.

I am pleased with how he is looking to set up Wemby more now. The two are starting to build some nice give and go chemistry. I like the one handed FT. He has gotten really good at it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for Keldon. He is a black hole on offense and an underachiever on defense. He seems to be needy, as in, he needs to make sure he gets his, no matter the consequences for the rest of the team. He needs to understand that he is now option 3 at best. Wemby is 1, Vassell is 2, and Johnson is 3. He needs to do a better job at understanding his role and making sure the other 2 are eating well and getting nice and full, before trying to empty his own plate.

He needs to start playing with his head up and using his court vision. He is not a running back trying to run through a hole between the center and guard. He just puts his head down and runs right into the teeth of the interior defense and has nowhere to go. He either commits a charge, turns it over, gets his shot blocked, or forces up a very highly contested shot. Notice how none of the options were that he tried to find an open teammate for a better shot. Why, because that almost never happens.

One defense, he rarely closes out on his man on the perimeter. He allows his man to drive by him consistently. Now, he does a decent job of playing the passing lanes, but he could do better. Also, at his size and build, he should be able to draw more charges on his opponents.

He seems to be a good guy personally, but on the court, he is not bringing what he needs to bring to make the team turn the corner and be successful.

I would not be opposed to using him in a trade. I feel he could bring back a decent haul.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not be opposed to using him in a trade. I feel he could bring back a decent haul.
    I'm sure the Spurs could get back a different player for you to complain about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Wemby is willing to play the 5 going forward, I'm of the opinion we have a championship caliber 5 with Wemby, and 4 with Sochan (assuming his trajectory continues).

At best we're dealing with bench players at the 1, 2, and 3.

I had hopes Vassell could be that starting 2 or 3 but I just don't see it anymore, maybe a bench guy but you cant have a bench full of former starters that cant play D. Weve seen how many wins that team gets you already over the last two seasons. Jones is a backup PG.

So beyond a starting 4 and 5, and a bench 1 and maybe 2/3, we have a lot of holes to fill for a championship caliber team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    11020611[/URL]]Sochan had a great game last night. However, I am sick of him chucking 3s like he is Curry. Most of them are air balls, short by 2-3 feet. Also, he needs to learn how to box out on the boards. Stop with all the chucking please.

Honestly, he has the size and build of Dennis Rodman. However, he has none of Rodman's rebound awareness. What he should do is contact the Worm, pay him some money and use him to teach rebound fundamentals. He is a decent defender, but has the potential to be very good, if not great. He just needs someone like Dennis to show him the ropes. Bruce Bowen could also assist.

I am pleased with how he is looking to set up Wemby more now. The two are starting to build some nice give and go chemistry. I like the one handed FT. He has gotten really good at it.
    I believe he has the second best 3 pt percentage on the team outside of McBuckets. Collins and Jones are the two that should stop shooting them outside an expiring shot clock attempt. At this point, player’s 3pt green light should be off if they are under 30% and not named Wemby.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe he has the second best 3 pt percentage on the team outside of McBuckets. Collins and Jones are the two that should stop shooting them outside an expiring shot clock attempt. At this point, player’s 3pt green light should be off if they are under 30% and not named Wemby.
    3pt percentage doesn't mean much without context.
    Until further notice, Sochan and Wemby will always be wide open behind the arc.
    Give Vassell those 3pt shots Sochan gets and he'd surely be close to 45% from deep. But he takes way more difficult shots Sochan wouldn't even think about.

If Spurs are to compete again, three legit shooters around Wemby are a must.
    That's why Tre will never be anything more than a solid backup. Can't have an undersized player that's not a legit 3pt threat on serious rosters.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other questions:

Are the Spurs the dumbest team in the NBA?

Is the Spurs front office the dumbest in the NBA?

Is Popovich the dumbest coach in the NBA?

Is Brian Wright the dumbest GM in the NBA?
    Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Wemby is willing to play the 5 going forward, I'm of the opinion we have a championship caliber 5 with Wemby, and 4 with Sochan (assuming his trajectory continues).

At best we're dealing with bench players at the 1, 2, and 3.

I had hopes Vassell could be that starting 2 or 3 but I just don't see it anymore, maybe a bench guy but you cant have a bench full of former starters that cant play D. Weve seen how many wins that team gets you already over the last two seasons. Jones is a backup PG.

So beyond a starting 4 and 5, and a bench 1 and maybe 2/3, we have a lot of holes to fill for a championship caliber team.
    Vassell still has great value, although he may not be the go-to scorer we need. But remember he missed a huge part of last year and so this is looking like his third full year in the league. Maybe he doesn't become that guy, but as a piece he's really nice to have.

And let's focus on the POs before Championship talk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan had a great game last night. However, I am sick of him chucking 3s like he is Curry. Most of them are air balls, short by 2-3 feet. Also, he needs to learn how to box out on the boards. Stop with all the chucking please.

What? He’s shooting 38% from three this season and generally takes wide open threes. He was 4/7 last night. He can fire away as far as I’m concerned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3pt percentage doesn't mean much without context.
    Until further notice, Sochan and Wemby will always be wide open behind the arc.
    Give Vassell those 3pt shots Sochan gets and he'd surely be close to 45% from deep. But he takes way more difficult shots Sochan wouldn't even think about.

If Spurs are to compete again, three legit shooters around Wemby are a must.
    That's why Tre will never be anything more than a solid backup. Can't have an undersized player that's not a legit 3pt threat on serious rosters.
    Even With Context It Makes No Sense To Criticize Sochan’s 3 PT Shooting— If He’s Wide Open And He’s Making Them At A Good Rate Then He Should Continue To Shoot Them. He’s A Legit Shooter Until His Rate Drops, Period.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^This. Since the start of the year when he was moved back to forward he's been taking about 4 3's a game and canning them at a 40% clip. Yes they're wide open 3s, but at some point teams are going to start closing out on him as long as he keeps up his volume which would make him far from a non-shooter.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most all NBA players are taking wide open 3 pt. shots.

If a guy is not open the ball is just moved around until an open player is found for an open shot.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even With Context It Makes No Sense To Criticize Sochan’s 3 PT Shooting— If He’s Wide Open And He’s Making Them At A Good Rate Then He Should Continue To Shoot Them. He’s A Legit Shooter Until His Rate Drops, Period.
    I didn't say he shouldn't, my point was that we're still the worst shooting team in the league.
    Washed up McDermott is our only legit shooter.
    Vassell is too inconsistent, same goes for Keldon and others should shoot only when completely wide open. Some of them not even then.

If Sochan becomes a solid shooter and Devin becomes more consistent, we'd still need at least one more elite shooter in the starting lineup if we were to consistently win games.
    I've got high hopes for Jeremy, I think he can be an elite role player, maybe even a borderline all-star, glue guy that every team needs, but if he becomes a legit shooter that would be one of the most surprising developments I've seen.

Anyhow, a must keep player, just needs to be settled in a defined role for now.
    He's a 20 year old that spent most of the season getting mind ed by Pop, saying that he's stupid is ridiculous. (not you, but the opening post)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan been generally pretty good and showing good potential since moving back to PF. Definitely has mental lapses, but I'm not sure he is the dumbest player on this team, let alone in the history of the NBA

If he can keep on this trajectory it will be great

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan has these occasional big games to give hope but then falls back into poor play.

He doesn't have good shooting form that's why many of his shots are bricks and air balls.
    If his volume increases his % will certainly fall to undesirable levels. He isn't going to be a high volume 3 pt effective shooter that the Spurs can rely on. He has had these type of games earlier this year and last year too then crashes again.

Almost every starting player in the league will have the occasional big game if given an opportunity with enough minutes and shots.

It's consistency which separates the stars from the wannabes.

Sochan doesn't excel in any area and hope the spurs can find a better player at PF who excels as a rebounder or defensive intimidator or shooter or athletic scorer.

He's at best a role level player on a le contender.

I'm expecting Sochan to struggle again in tonight's game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nahh, he is just young and inexperienced but he will get better.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan has these occasional big games to give hope but then falls back into poor play.

He doesn't have good shooting form that's why many of his shots are bricks and air balls.
    If his volume increases his % will certainly fall to undesirable levels. He isn't going to be a high volume 3 pt effective shooter that the Spurs can rely on. He has had these type of games earlier this year and last year too then crashes again.

Almost every starting player in the league will have the occasional big game if given an opportunity with enough minutes and shots.

It's consistency which separates the stars from the wannabes.

Sochan doesn't excel in any area and hope the spurs can find a better player at PF who excels as a rebounder or defensive intimidator or shooter or athletic scorer.

He's at best a role level player on a le contender.

I'm expecting Sochan to struggle again in tonight's game.
    I don't actually disagree with any of this. I too expect Sochan to struggle tonight. He's a 20 year old playing the second night of a back to back against the best defense in the NBA and doesn't have the experience to counteract their length yet. It'd be surprising if he actually had a decent game, but for 20 year old role player guys, I probably wouldn't expect anything more than inconsistency. I also agree that he's probably a role player on a le contender, I profile him as the third to fourth best player on a championship team in his prime. You're also right that he doesn't excel in any area, and he profiles as a guy who in the future can be pretty good at everything.

Team building will be key to maximize his strengths, he's kind of a tweener 3/4 in size and I think the spurs would do well to draft another long 3/4 moving forward who can better serve as a true point of attack defender.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe I should start a post saying something bad about Champagnie...
    Last edited by SouthernFryd; 01-27-2024 at 06:26 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're right there with ATL Spur when it comes to the worst player evaluation on this board
    I wasn’t sure before but u must be one of those all over Twitter getting emo anytime someone doesn’t share your opinion…

breathe, it’s all gonna be fine

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn’t sure before but u must be one of those all over Twitter getting emo anytime someone doesn’t share your opinion…

breathe, it’s all gonna be fine
    ain’t you the same guy who doesn’t understand how an extension works and thinks Vassell is overpaid at 5.8 million this season?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strong 4th quarter from Sochan tonight. I loved the show and go fake he pulled on KAT.
    The 20 year old kid is really coming on as a player.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    How much of Sochan's development stems from his time at the PG position?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ain’t you the same guy who doesn’t understand how an extension works and thinks Vassell is overpaid at 5.8 million this season?
    U can put as many laughing emojis as u want it won’t make it true.
    I was talking about his new deal and the fact that he’s an asset and selling high might be smart bc of his limitations and fragility.

keep getting all emo for a bb talk. I love it

Thread Information