Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    basically just have the refs watch a few minutes of Trae Young and James Harden foul calls. sprinkle in some durant/paul and there you go
    Hate the NHL but they have this rule called "embellishing" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_(ice_hockey)) which basically punishes any faking and leads to suspensions. afaik it works really well maybe it doesnt but i think i read that it does work. I would have the player reps maybe vote on some of the plays or something. Like watch the videos of other teams plays and vote on whether they are flops, have the fans vote, etc. But really if the players have to defend some of the flopping you see nowadays they will get clowned on social media which many of them care about a lot for some reasons. Most players I would imagine find the flopping annoying but its like the cheating in baseball with the spitballs. Reading about that even some of the guys 100% against the spitballs do it as they feel it they have to to keep up.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I don't know man. Being an official is a 100% job in many aspects. We have replay and maybe half the time I go "oh, watching it live from 4 angles I guess it is off the other guy," "wow, he was actually in the restricted circle." etc. Plus they get zero positive credit ever. I mean you ever watched a game with anyone ever and talked about how an official is good or that you like him? They are basically the punching bags wherever they go. Also, the reffing wasnt any better in the 80s from what I saw. Refs are graded behind the scenes and given feedback after every game so they are held accountable but its kept private for obvious reasons. Can you imagine if the ratings were made public and we knew who the bottom 10% of refs were? They would get on even worse to the point where their lives would be . You would probably say good but the fact is the guys in college and high school reffing arent stars waiting to be plucked and 10x better.

Honestly, I could rant on this all day..I mean the logic is that ting on them all day makes them do a better job here?? Whats the evidence for this in terms of reffing? I mean I'm pretty sure there is none.

I guess being a ref you make good money and get to travel and see some big cities, Watch NBA games from the actual court, and maybe the upside is no one recognizes in public since youre a hated figure but man talk about a completely thankless job in terms of getting love or positive feedback. There was an article I read I think it was about some law firm or tech job where they worked people to death 80 hours a week so they raised the starting salary from $450,000 a year to $550,000...like 80% of the people in the article quoted said they didnt care about the raise.. one of the main things is all the evaluations were done for them by analyzing their score and having a computer spit out a number grade. They hated it and whenever they were quoted said it was "dehumanizing" over and over. Point is you can make half a mill a year and people they still wanted when they worked their ass for 16 hours in a day to have someone tell them "hey man, good job" "You really figured this tricky task out right." etc. Behind the scenes maybe refs get that but in public? Nothing but on all day and night nowadays.

Aside from feeling bad for them anyway...my point is the constant whining is so completely made. Everything is someone else's fault. You got stuffed because you made a dumb move, it was off you dumbass, etc. man up. Jesus. Watching those boring ass 80s games it sounds corny but players had like more honor I guess you would say. A guy would get beat, stuffed, or dribble the ball off his leg and mostly get mad at himself which was almost like shocking to watch. I was almost like "man, there aint no replay just pretend you tripped and ran into the stantion not because youre a goofy uncoordinated but because it was a case of third degree battery.
    i dont disagree with a lot of this, but at the same time, it seems pretty obvious refs allow personal vendettas and biases affect their work and theres no repercussion for it other than players yelling at them a bunch to trigger public attention. i dont like seeing it, but i completely understand it too. refs blowing calls because of awful or biased judgement can and has cost games, and even playoff series, which in turn affect the players paychecks and reputation quite a bit.

take away the verbal abuse from the players which draws attention to the refs bullcrap, then how are they going to be held accountable? because its obvious the league doesnt, at least not to a degree that actually prevents them from screwing with game outcomes. its far and away worse in the NBA than any other sport.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    basically just have the refs watch a few minutes of Trae Young and James Harden foul calls. sprinkle in some durant/paul and there you go
    Basically every great player in the game not named Steph Curry or Lebron James do it as a 1st option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont disagree with a lot of this, but at the same time, it seems pretty obvious refs allow personal vendettas and biases affect their work and theres no repercussion for it other than players yelling at them a bunch to trigger public attention. i dont like seeing it, but i completely understand it too. refs blowing calls because of awful or biased judgement can and has cost games, and even playoff series, which in turn affect the players paychecks and reputation quite a bit.

take away the verbal abuse from the players which draws attention to the refs bullcrap, then how are they going to be held accountable? because its obvious the league doesnt, at least not to a degree that actually prevents them from screwing with game outcomes. its far and away worse in the NBA than any other sport.
    It's funny when they blow a call, admit it, then intentionally blow another one to make up for it at the other end. Also, do they just agree 'we're going to let them play" or "we're going to crack down on the fouls"? They all seem in step with the foul calling scheme each game. I feel like it's a league decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically every great player in the game not named Steph Curry or Lebron James do it as a 1st option.
    lebron does it at the weirdest times though, like off the ball jogging up the court. but yeah, it's not his go-to move it it is with harden/trae

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    It's funny when they blow a call, admit it, then intentionally blow another one to make up for it at the other end. Also, do they just agree 'we're going to let them play" or "we're going to crack down on the fouls"? They all seem in step with the foul calling scheme each game. I feel like it's a league decision.
    exactly. the inconsistencies are ridiculous and its very understandable why the players whine so much, because its frustrating. for example, if in one game refs are allowing blatant hand checks, then the next game they call every touch, thats frustrating for a defensive player. or if an offensive is rewarded fouls from jumping into defenders on his hip, then suddenly the next game they not only wont call the foul, but either call it an offensive foul or allow the defender to blatantly bump them with no call, thats absurd. just set a standard one way or the other and stick to it. and as long as they keep allowing this crap, players will complain, and fans wont want to watch because it appears rigged to encourage playoff series to go 7 games, where suddenly all whistles are swallowed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lebron does it at the weirdest times though, like off the ball jogging up the court. but yeah, it's not his go-to move it it is with harden/trae

If there was no foul called there too we know that Lebron (who I really like tbh so not ting on him especially) would have gotten up and stuck his arms out to the side with a "wth!!" type response while jogging the court with his head shaking side to side as though he was the most beset upon victim since like a combo of Anne Frank and Jesus up on the cross lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's just a flop. There's a difference between that and the up and under. I think most players flop, some more than others.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If refs enforce the non-basketball moves to draw fouls, then the Suns overpaid CP0 as that is his bread and butter.

Thread Information