View Poll Results: ready to trade derrick?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, move on

48 53.93%
  • no, keep him

41 46.07%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs talk… I won’t trade White for anything less than 2 FRP and a young asset but would consider Walker, Thad and Eubanks plus a 2nd.

In all seriousness White, Thad and Detroit’s 22 SRP is a nice starting point. Add Jak is required. Ppl need to realize when we hit free agency this summer with no one to sign that 35mm will inevitably go to guys like Joe Ingles and 4 more 2m/yr
    g-leaguers.
    Somehow, I think we’ll be able to coax Jalen Smith to grab the bag of $8-10M this summer, AND keep White.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs talk… I won’t trade White for anything less than 2 FRP and a young asset but would consider Walker, Thad and Eubanks plus a 2nd.

In all seriousness White, Thad and Detroit’s 22 SRP is a nice starting point. Add Jak is required. Ppl need to realize when we hit free agency this summer with no one to sign that 35mm will inevitably go to guys like Joe Ingles and 4 more 2m/yr
    g-leaguers.
    I happily do the White, Thad and DET’s SRP trade for Collins. Does that work salary wise though?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I happily do the White, Thad and DET’s SRP trade for Collins. Does that work salary wise though?
    Why would you trade assets for Collins, when you can sign a couple years younger version this summer, and keep your assets?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would you trade assets for Collins, when you can sign a couple years younger version this summer, and keep your assets?
    A number of reasons:

- Frankly, I’m just not as high in Jalen Smith as you are.
    - I think it’s reasonable that Collins would require slightly more than just White.
    - I love White, but one of him or Murray needs to be flipped to balance the roster. Better the one that fits the timeline less.
    - Murray, Vassell, Collins is a good core to build around, with Primo and 2022 FRP in the wings.
    - We also have 2 SRPs, with the Laker one looking better each day.
    - I’d prefer to hold Thad for a separate deal, but not sure where that is coming from now. But if they land that deal for Thad though, I’m happy to include Lonnie instead since he’s slightly more than filler at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A number of reasons:

- Frankly, I’m just not as high in Jalen Smith as you are.
    - I think it’s reasonable that Collins would require slightly more than just White.
    - I love White, but one of him or Murray needs to be flipped to balance the roster. Better the one that fits the timeline less.
    - Murray, Vassell, Collins is a good core to build around, with Primo and 2022 FRP in the wings.
    - We also have 2 SRPs, with the Laker one looking better each day.
    White is the only rotation player who runs the PnR effectively. Tre can, but he’s off and on in the rotation. DJ just locks in on the roll man, and forces the pass, even if it’s not there.

The thing that alarms me is that JCollins numbers have been trending downwards for the second season in a row, both counting stats, and advanced. There’s a reason they want to move him. He’s not good enough to really put a team on his back, and take them anywhere meaningful, but he’s good enough to up our draft position, so we’re essentially trading down there, as part of the cost.
    Last edited by exstatic; 01-27-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is the only rotation player who runs the PnR effectively. Tre can, but he’s off and on in the rotation. DJ just locks in on the roll man, and forces the pass, even if it’s not there.

The thing that alarms me is that JCollins numbers have been trending downwards for the second season in a row, both counting stats, and advanced. There’s a reason they want to move him. He’s not good enough to really put a team on his back, and take them anywhere meaningful, but he’s good enough to up our draft position, so we’re essentially trading down there, as part of the cost.
    The draft position point is fair. Anyway, such a deal could be there this summer too if they want to go that direction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White's only problem is his inconsistency with his 3pt shooting. If he ever finds a way to fix that, he would be a beast.
    It’s a really big problem. 29.5% on a team leading 5.2 attempts her game. <42% FG% over all. Passive and unable to step up on the offensive end when called upon. He would be a great 6 man… on another team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re ATL, do we still think they view Hunter as untouchable? Unclear with how they're preformed this year, but they did jettison Reddish. If he were available, I'd prefer him over Collins in White trade TBH.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re ATL, do we still think they view Hunter as untouchable? Unclear with how they're preformed this year, but they did jettison Reddish. If he were available, I'd prefer him over Collins in White trade TBH.
    Reddish is terrible. Hunter is not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reddish is terrible. Hunter is not.
    No doubt -- i meant that they choose not to pay both players next year when they are both up for extensions suggesting they favor DeAndre. But what's unclear is whether he's still "untouchable" or if that's shifted some, especially if they do that Simmons/Harris deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt -- i meant that they choose not to pay both players next year when they are both up for extensions suggesting they favor DeAndre. But what's unclear is whether he's still "untouchable" or if that's shifted some, especially if they do that Simmons/Harris deal.
    Nobody gonna touch that trade any team that wants to pay north of $55m for 2 players who could not be counted on in crunch time is determine to tank. However given their profile it will mess up with the tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DJ has been a maestro in the PnR this season cmon man, to say he doesn't run the PnR effectively is asinine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick is an elite defender, one of the top 5 guards in the league.
    And he is competent and a plus on offense despite his putrid shooting this year.
    You don't just give that away for Buddy f'n Hield.

I'm good with trading him for real value
    Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Ja Morant, Dejounte Murray, Luka Doncic, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Donovan Mitc , Jrue Holiday, etc. etc.

How is White a top 5 guard in the league?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ has been a maestro in the PnR this season cmon man, to say he doesn't run the PnR effectively is asinine.
    He’s awful at times. Don’t confuse being able to make the basic drop pass MOST of the time with being a maestro. He almost never looks to the perimeter when the help defender drops down, either. He had one last night where he didn’t turn the corner, and tried to bounce the ball ahead, in between two defenders with predictable results, in a close game, in the fourth quarter. White didn’t even make plays that dumb as a rookie.

White is a far better pick and roll ball handler and decision maker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s awful at times. Don’t confuse being able to make the basic drop pass MOST of the time with being a maestro. He almost never looks to the perimeter when the help defender drops down, either. He had one last night where he didn’t turn the corner, and tried to bounce the ball ahead, in between two defenders with predictable results, in a close game, in the fourth quarter. White didn’t even make plays that dumb as a rookie.

last night Derrick White couldn't throw a proper alley-oop pass and passed up a wide open corner 3 in crunch time. He's obviously not a better decision maker than Murray. I remember him throwing the ball out of bounds at the end of a quarter with like 2 seconds to go so the other team could inbound right at the Spurs basket. The guy has made a bunch of boneheaded plays in crucial moments this season. Talk about overrated.

And I actually like White

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Does DJ run the PnR effectively? Yes or No? Also,

9.1 assist 2.4 TO 19 games with 10+ assist>>>5.6 assist 1.7 turnovers 2 games with 10+ assist. Not saying all those numbers come from the PnR but come on man DJ has been excellent in decision making this season + setting players up and in the PnR.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think most people understood that I'm saying he is one of the top 5 defensive guards in the league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Ja Morant, Dejounte Murray, Luka Doncic, James Harden, Kyrie Irving, Donovan Mitc , Jrue Holiday, etc. etc.

How is White a top 5 guard in the league?
    I think most people understood the sentence, which says that White is one of the top 5 defensive guards in the league.
    Sorry for confusing you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...week-remaining

Bleacher Report is pretty bad but they mention White could garner 2 FRPs. Give me two firsts for White without taking back a bad contract and I’m with it.

I personally think most don’t appreciate the scarcity and value of FRPs in the current NBA landscape. The Grizz, Magic, Thunder and Pels own like 25% of FRPs over the next 5 years.

Couple that with the amount of teams in the luxury tax the next couple of years (2022 will be the highest total luxury tax paid by payers ~double the next highest year) and FRPs are going to trade at an absolute premium.

GMs can posture and pander all they want about getting 2-3 FRPs for guys like Sabonis or Grant but I don’t see that happening.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    trade deadline is next week.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The time is right to trade White. There aren’t many sellers out there. The spurs should at least be able to get a first round pick for him. And there’s no point keeping him around. He doesn’t fit with any team timeline. Time to make the move

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup, been ready. So frustrating to see his regression and inconsistency after his breakout year where he played so well vs Denver in the playoffs

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    24 hours...

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly I just want White to get a somewhat more consistent three point shot from the Elbow. He does that and all of a sudden. He becomes a much more valuable player . What kills me with White is that when he's right he's a very very good sg, but he's also a guy that just being sore makes him way less effective. Some guys game depends on their physical abilities and he's such a timing player that any hesitation or pull makes him look much worse than when he's right. He is also a player who looks much better when the other teams defense isn't aimed to keep him from getting points and facilitating the offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ready when you are Brian.

Thread Information