Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always to see new blood injected into the team. I think for Lyles, it is al about what he puts in work wise. I have little doubt concerning ability. That being said, he can't guard athletic wings, so he doesn't help there. My best guess is that Pop will give the new kids a chance to show what they can do, and make a trade as needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bold prediction: Lyles will shoot better than .375 from three this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he could provide the defense needed against smaller opponents and could also guard big men, then count me in. He has the potential offensively, he just have to fit to the role that spurs would give him and produce

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, at this point I'd be okay with Samanic and Lyles competing there's no ideal candidate on the team right now. Just let one of them run with the first unit for a couple of minutes before subbing in Gay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    austin daye 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm holding out hope because he's still pretty young and has the size and athleticism. He also shot decently from 3 the first two years in the league though his shot vanished in year 3. If he is willing to put in the work he can be a solid rotational player. But I question his work ethic and dedication

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fathead is much closer to Diaw tbh
    But he wasn’t even close to Diaw as well other than his ability to play make which never was really used on the Spurs anyway. He was slow, unathletic, couldn’t shoot the 3, couldn’t post up smaller defenders. He wasn’t even better than post 2014 Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Relax guys, he's only 23

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But he wasn’t even close to Diaw as well other than his ability to play make which never was really used on the Spurs anyway. He was slow, unathletic, couldn’t shoot the 3, couldn’t post up smaller defenders. He wasn’t even better than post 2014 Diaw.
    Someone made a ty Diaw comparison back in 2014 when Fathead was drafted and sadly it has stuck ever since. If anything, the only similarity was a hesitance to shoot the ball...and that's it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feels like another Diaw situation the more I think about it. Guy with all the physical tools, point forward, super inconsistent play year to year.
    Sorry, but a you ing high? NO. NO. NO. The answer is no.

You don't remember Diaw being a triple double threat nearly every night when he played with the Phoenix Suns? Diaw was way further ahead when he came here and had accomplished way more than Lyles ever has to be making that comparison. The only thing they may have in common is laziness, but Diaw still showed a lot more than Lyles ever has even when he was lazy.

Lyles could turn into a good player, but I don't believe Diaw is the comparison to make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comparing him to a veteran and champion like Boris is just apples and oranges. People either greatly underestimate how great Boris Diaw was or they don't know. As for Lyles, I'm very excited to have a 23 year old on our team that could possible have his best season ever. He was wrongly compared to Morris for obvious reasons, but it could be he ends up being a good fit. If he is pushed to defend better and can defend smaller players, and Chip gets his shot back it's a win.

I'm mainly going by what others have said and understand he's a much different 4 than Morris, who people thought could defend perimeter players. He's only 23 and maybe under the right coaching staff that includes the greatest PF of all time he will surprise us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? Your great 'get' is a guy who played three years and hasn't been on an NBA court for over 5 years? Oh, and he's almost 30.
    He was doing good in the EuroLeague from what I understand, he could be a solid defensive stretch 4 in today's league. I think it's fair to say he could defend wings better than Lyles. I don't know a ton about him these days which is why I'm not that upset we didn't get him, maybe he's not an NBA player who knows. I'm also partial bc that's who I wanted the year we traded up and drafted Kawhi, obviously I was super wrong then and the Spurs were super right.

Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am excited because he is still young and he knows this is his last shot in this league. Nobody wanted him in free agency. He Improve by committing to his Craft amd live us to his lottery expectations or he can expect the rest of his career to be in Europe or china.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was doing good in the EuroLeague from what I understand, he could be a solid defensive stretch 4 in today's league. I think it's fair to say he could defend wings better than Lyles. I don't know a ton about him these days which is why I'm not that upset we didn't get him, maybe he's not an NBA player who knows. I'm also partial bc that's who I wanted the year we traded up and drafted Kawhi, obviously I was super wrong then and the Spurs were super right.
    30 NBA GMs say o....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Low risk. High reward. Like a guy you draft in the late rounds of a fantasy draft. Drafting for upside tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Low risk. High reward. Like a guy you draft in the late rounds of a fantasy draft. Drafting for upside tbh
    This is exactly right.

Lyles has potential to be better than he has been. And there's evidence to suggest that he is a positive player, as long as he gets to touch the ball and distribute it around. Not expecting anything from him, but if he turns into something, then he's another young piece that you could have around for awhile. If not, then you can trade his contract for something and when coupled with Belinelli's contract, you might be able to get a decent player back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool because Lyles is almost out of the league at 23.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no
    /thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do wonder however how much affect TD will have on TL. There's got to be some admiration there. Maybe Timmy gets the best out of our guys. Who knows. I would bet anything regarding the GOAT though.
    + 2 I wouldn't say that I'm excited; I expect nothing from Lyles. But I agree that there is upside, and I'm hoping TD and Spurs can get him to put in the work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    + 2 I wouldn't say that I'm excited; I expect nothing from Lyles. But I agree that there is upside, and I'm hoping TD and Spurs can get him to put in the work.
    Hopefully, Timmy will have an a positive influence
    That said I suspect he'll be gone in a year.
    However, I still like the move. The Spurs have always been good at reclamation or getting some thing out of a player no else wanted. Danny Green, Patty Mills, Forbes, eEson Oberto, Jackson etc.
    Late 1st Round picks etc.

Of course they don't always work out.
    Austin Daye was mentioned earlier. Livio to name two.
    So I like the move. Excited, no. But I wasn't excited aboutmany of their success stories at the time.

Thread Information