My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    today's NBA

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    This is stupid. Silver should look at NASCAR to see what happens when you start making gimmicky rule changes for the sake of change.

Nobody wants a pointless midseason tournament or a play-in tournament for lower seeds. Fans want better officiating, more superstars who actually want to compete instead of quitting on their teams, no back-to-backs, and less three-point chucking. These ideas do nothing to fix the NBA's problems.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is stupid. Silver should look at NASCAR to see what happens when you start making gimmicky rule changes for the sake of change.

Nobody wants a pointless midseason tournament or a play-in tournament for lower seeds. Fans want better officiating, more superstars who actually want to compete instead of quitting on their teams, no back-to-backs, and less three-point chucking. These ideas do nothing to fix the NBA's problems.
    66 game season would be perfect. No back to backs and you'd still play everyone outside your division twice apiece, both in and out of conference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If they want more ratings they should go back to pre 2010s rules

One thing the NBA is severely lacking is rivalries

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

it's becoming a circus tbh. i'd like to see the all-star game be thrown out all together as well as everything you said.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Very interesting. These changes would increase my interest but I am familiar with International sports. Americans are conditioned to watch a long regular season that concludes with 1 single trophy.

NBA of all sports should slash the regular season because almost half the League qualifies for the postseason and I posted in the "Pick the best NBA team of the 2010's" thread - every champion in the decade had 57+ wins. Last season only 3 teams hit that mark - Bucks, Raptors and Warriors. Reality is there are very rarely massive upsets in the NBA playoffs.

If you have a long regular season then you need to reward teams and you do that by reseeding in the Conference Finals.

A midseason Tournament also gives incentive to bottom feeders that started slow.

> But I don't think you can have postseason + midseason Tournament. The reason they exist in International sports is to reward the "regular season" champion but that requires balanced scheduling and I think that doesn't exist in American sports because of travel issues - massive sized nation.
    Last edited by FrostKing; 11-23-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In college basketball they have the NIT tournament for teams that couldn't' get into the NCAA tournament. I would like to see the NBA have it's NIT playoffs for all of the lottery teams. I think it would be entertaining for fans of teams who missed the playoffs and it would also be good for young players development. Plus the league gets to showcase its young talent on a national stage in this type of playoff setting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In college basketball they have the NIT tournament for teams that couldn't' get into the NCAA tournament. I would like to see the NBA have it's NIT playoffs for all of the lottery teams. I think it would be entertaining for fans of teams who missed the playoffs and it would also be good for young players development. Plus the league gets to showcase its young talent on a national stage in this type of playoff setting.
    so the draft order is determined by positioning in this NIT tournament?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    today’s nba

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so the draft order is determined by positioning in this NIT tournament?
    Didn't think of the draft being predicated on the NIT tournament but I think it would actually be a good idea to do so. The team that wins the NIT tournament gets the #1 pick. The runner up gets the second pick. The rest is determined in a lottery type of set up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't think of the draft being predicated on the NIT tournament but I think it would actually be a good idea to do so. The team that wins the NIT tournament gets the #1 pick. The runner up gets the second pick. The rest is determined in a lottery type of set up.
    that's a good idea. You compete to win the next lebron james or anthony bennett (). Don't think the 1997 Spurs would have won the first round of that tournament, though, sadly.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    If they want more ratings they should go back to pre 2010s rules

One thing the NBA is severely lacking is rivalries
    Difficult to create rivalries when superstars keep quitting on their teams and are busy planning the next superteam.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players have taken the league hostage. Where players X, Y and Z gather so will the post season successes. They know this. They then sell playoff success to the highest bidder and they accept standard of living/area code for payment as well. Fans of small market teams can never satisfy the area code clause. This funnels "bragging rights" fans to only a few large market teams.

The narrative of player X vs player Y gets on pretty quick when they team up. Just look at all the bull narratives over the past 10 or so years, that never materialized.

Lebron vs Kobe. Where did that ever go? Kobe could never meet James in the post season. The pinnacle of the rivalry.. a Christmas game?

Spurs/Heat rivalry. Ok, two Finals appearances and James quits Miami.
    OKC/Spurs rivalry. Durant quits OKC to swap sides.
    GSW/Spurs/Rockets rivalries. Durant quits GS, Houston cycles through Chris Paul and now Russell Westbrook. Kawhi demands trade and eventually ends up on the Clippers.

Now we have another bull Clippers/Lakers rivalry narrative that likely won't ever pan out to anything. Even that required the franchise players from 4 different teams to come together in LA. It's a form of contraction without losing the other teams in the process, so now you have these abandoned farm teams that historically have been the Washington Generals for the NBA's version of the Globetrotters.

Plus the 3 usurped the power of the dunk. How many dunk highlights did we see in the past few years vs prior? Now it's all the 3. There's nothing awe inspiring about a 3. It's statistically powerful, but mostly just repe ive motion and being open.

I personally feel the NBA initiated this collusion when they allowed rival players to be on teams together overseas, and more recently to pick their own All Star teams. Now you have guys seeing the NBA as a side job. Imagine your employer allowing you to work for a compe or then acting felt up when you actually moved jobs.
    Last edited by DMC; 11-24-2019 at 01:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Difficult to create rivalries when superstars keep quitting on their teams and are busy planning the next superteam.
    That’s one factor, I agree

The other is lack of physicality.
    I know, basketball is basketball, it’s not MMA but we’re just asking for a little physicality.

Also, players can’t talk trash to each other anymore

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players have taken the league hostage. Where players X, Y and Z gather so will the post season successes. They know this. They then sell playoff success to the highest bidder and they accept standard of living/area code for payment as well. Fans of small market teams can never satisfy the area code clause. This funnels "bragging rights" fans to only a few large market teams.

The narrative of player X vs player Y gets on pretty quick when they team up. Just look at all the bull narratives over the past 10 or so years, that never materialized.

Lebron vs Kobe. Where did that ever go? Kobe could never meet James in the post season. The pinnacle of the rivalry.. a Christmas game?

Spurs/Heat rivalry. Ok, two Finals appearances and James quits Miami.
    OKC/Spurs rivalry. Durant quits OKC to swap sides.
    GSW/Spurs/Rockets rivalries. Durant quits GS, Houston cycles through Chris Paul and now Russell Westbrook. Kawhi demands trade and eventually ends up on the Clippers.

Now we have another bull Clippers/Lakers rivalry narrative that likely won't ever pan out to anything. Even that required the franchise players from 4 different teams to come together in LA. It's a form of contraction without losing the other teams in the process, so now you have these abandoned farm teams that historically have been the Washington Generals for the NBA's version of the Globetrotters.

Plus the 3 usurped the power of the dunk. How many dunk highlights did we see in the past few years vs prior? Now it's all the 3. There's nothing awe inspiring about a 3. It's statistically powerful, but mostly just repe ive motion and being open.

I personally feel the NBA initiated this collusion when they allowed rival players to be on teams together overseas, and more recently to pick their own All Star teams. Now you have guys seeing the NBA as a side job. Imagine your employer allowing you to work for a compe or then acting felt up when you actually moved jobs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players interested more in developing their brand instead of the team. Players tuning out the coach and tuning in to social media. Bigs more interested in shooting 3s instead of developing a post game. Bad shot selection and lazy defense make the game almost unwatchable. Fantasy teams and gambling aren't helping anything. "Superstar" calls - a foul for me, but not for thee. Players watching the big screen looking for validation or reprieve instead of getting back in to position. The China thing.

The league needs a major overhaul and bells and whistles aren't going to fix anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players interested more in developing their brand instead of the team. Players tuning out the coach and tuning in to social media. Bigs more interested in shooting 3s instead of developing a post game. Bad shot selection and lazy defense make the game almost unwatchable. Fantasy teams and gambling aren't helping anything. "Superstar" calls - a foul for me, but not for thee. Players watching the big screen looking for validation or reprieve instead of getting back in to position. The China thing.

The league needs a major overhaul and bells and whistles aren't going to fix anything.
    Agree on everything except superstar calls which isn’t new

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

NBA will always be a black league so hostage to American black culture & those social norns

Making the sport more shooter oriented is probably a smart move towards increasing foreigners

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not touching that but it is interesting that euro players come in to league already playing at a higher level (smart passing,boxing out,defensive rotations, "willing to do the dirty work" etc...)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not touching that but it is interesting that euro players come in to league already playing at a higher level (smart passing,boxing out,defensive rotations, "willing to do the dirty work" etc...)
    Foreigners were ahead of their time, they already had all those skills, they just didn’t have the chance to showcase it in the NBA back in the days

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd also like to point out that, at least in the past, those farm teams had some semblance of a puncher's chance with one superstar on the roster. Now these teams have basically nothing. Who's in Cleveland? Who's in New Orleans? A crippled rich man's Dejuan Blair? Who's in OKC? Chris Paul's broken down ass? What about San Antonio? Washed up paycheck players already thinking of the off season? Now the East is even more weak, maybe the weakest it's ever been since KD is out indefinitely and the 76ers are still more interested in Fortnite than basketball.

You really had KL, KD, Lebron, AD and Steph. With Steph out, KD out, LBJ and AD on the same team and KL missing every other game.. the NBA is barely watchable unless you're a fan of one of the teams who have the horses. Silver has to see this as well. The NBA is a huge fugazi and they cannot hide it now that the players have where they eat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd also like to point out that, at least in the past, those farm teams had some semblance of a puncher's chance with one superstar on the roster. Now these teams have basically nothing. Who's in Cleveland? Who's in New Orleans? A crippled rich man's Dejuan Blair? Who's in OKC? Chris Paul's broken down ass? What about San Antonio? Washed up paycheck players already thinking of the off season? Now the East is even more weak, maybe the weakest it's ever been since KD is out indefinitely and the 76ers are still more interested in Fortnite than basketball.

You really had KL, KD, Lebron, AD and Steph. With Steph out, KD out, LBJ and AD on the same team and KL missing every other game.. the NBA is barely watchable unless you're a fan of one of the teams who have the horses. Silver has to see this as well. The NBA is a huge fugazi and they cannot hide it now that the players have where they eat.
    Yup small markets are ed since it’s a player’s league now

Rookies should be locked to 20 years contracts tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup small markets are ed since it’s a player’s league now

Rookies should be locked to 20 years contracts tbh
    The players all have different self interests, and that's going to cripple the NBA who has to put out a good product. They don't need 3 good teams. They need about 8 of them with another 5 or 6 of them fun to watch. Right now they have regurgitated All Star game.

Thread Information