Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And my belief is very much my own. If you haven’t been paying attention I don’t force it on anyone. I simply explain positions which you all largely misunderstand. You claim knowledge of a GOD you don’t actually believe in and then purport to lecture believers on the nature of your grotesque mischaracterizations of who HE is. Rich!

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could sit here and write a book about my journey in and out of the Christian faith, but I'll keep it short. I was indoctrinated as a kid, went my own way as a teen and into college, came back again in my 20's, ran through several different denominations, oversaw several different ministries, studied extensively many different theological viewpoints and studied the Bible back to the best versions of original language available for those scriptures, believed God was leading me and was speaking to me(not audibly but more feeling/intuition based), thought my prayers were the reason things happened for people...again...I could go on and on.

Two things happened that made my faith crumble...first, I was too fact based in my thinking to keep blindly believing faith based ideas. There was a lot that didn't add up and the "well God is mysterious/all things with God are possible" line got harder and harder to swallow. That leads into the second thing...the internet age which allowed information to be accessed that I didn't have before and unlike my brethren, I was open minded enough to read and consider it over what I had always been told to think. There was just way too much evidence that led me to understand that Christianity was just like what Christians said other religions were...a bunch of things made up by people to provide a level of psychological comfort while simultaneously controlling them.

Afterwards I spent countless hours showing fellow Christians the things I had come to understand but I wouldn't get far into the conversation before cognitive dissonance set in and they simply shut down and wouldn't hear anything else I have to say. I figured out you can't make someone leave their faith. They have to already a seed of uncertainty planted for the tree of reality to grow. Sagan was right...it's simply too painful for them to admit that this thing they believe in and rely on day to day is a lie like every other faith. It was plenty tough for me to admit too, but authenticity became more important than the feeling of loss I had to process when I walked away.

Oh...and before the card gets played...let me guess...I was never really saved, right?
    no offense, but sounds like a ty book

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And my belief is very much my own. If you haven’t been paying attention I don’t force it on anyone. I simply explain positions which you all largely misunderstand. You claim knowledge of a GOD you don’t actually believe in and then purport to lecture believers on the nature of your grotesque mischaracterizations of who HE is. Rich!
    Why are they mischaracterizations?

You yourself said he can't be known.

Then you explain him like you know god.

Which is it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could sit here and write a book about my journey in and out of the Christian faith, but I'll keep it short. I was indoctrinated as a kid, went my own way as a teen and into college, came back again in my 20's, ran through several different denominations, oversaw several different ministries, studied extensively many different theological viewpoints and studied the Bible back to the best versions of original language available for those scriptures, believed God was leading me and was speaking to me(not audibly but more feeling/intuition based), thought my prayers were the reason things happened for people...again...I could go on and on.

Two things happened that made my faith crumble...first, I was too fact based in my thinking to keep blindly believing faith based ideas. There was a lot that didn't add up and the "well God is mysterious/all things with God are possible" line got harder and harder to swallow. That leads into the second thing...the internet age which allowed information to be accessed that I didn't have before and unlike my brethren, I was open minded enough to read and consider it over what I had always been told to think. There was just way too much evidence that led me to understand that Christianity was just like what Christians said other religions were...a bunch of things made up by people to provide a level of psychological comfort while simultaneously controlling them.

Afterwards I spent countless hours showing fellow Christians the things I had come to understand but I wouldn't get far into the conversation before cognitive dissonance set in and they simply shut down and wouldn't hear anything else I have to say. I figured out you can't make someone leave their faith. They have to already a seed of uncertainty planted for the tree of reality to grow. Sagan was right...it's simply too painful for them to admit that this thing they believe in and rely on day to day is a lie like every other faith. It was plenty tough for me to admit too, but authenticity became more important than the feeling of loss I had to process when I walked away.

Oh...and before the card gets played...let me guess...I was never really saved, right?
    I wouldn’t say that. I would say you never really knew HIM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're being dismissive and wallowing in smugness again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are they mischaracterizations?

You yourself said he can't be known.

Then you explain him like you know god.

Which is it?
    Please provide the quote where I said HE can’t be known. Again, you all love placing words in my mouth to conveniently argue against things I never said. Everyone of you does this. Then other posters read your posts and it becomes a rock slide of misinformation.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Are you saying with a straight face that you don’t want your beliefs about life beginning at conception forced on everyone?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're being dismissive and wallowing in smugness again.
    Of an en y you don’t even believe in? You can’t have it both ways.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Phen, have you ever seen the movie "Courageous?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please provide the quote where I said HE can’t be known. Again, you all love placing words in my mouth to conveniently argue against things I never said. Everyone of you does this. Then other posters read your posts and it becomes a rock slide of misinformation.
    Oh, he can be known now?

Even the stuff you apparently refuse to explain?

Step up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of an en y you don’t even believe in? You can’t have it both ways.
    But you can?

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...yeah I've heard that one too bud. So all that seeking just led to God ignoring me, huh?

God confirmed as a head for the umpteenth time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no offense, but sounds like a ty book
    None taken. It was wasted time. I have regrets for sure...but , at least I made it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you saying with a straight face that you don’t want your beliefs about life beginning at conception forced on everyone?
    Policy matters are fair game only in the sense that we live in a cons utional republic. If your viewpoint merits representation then why shouldn’t mine? Each of us places our own sense of morality into whatever beliefs we hold. Why should your pro-abortion position hold any more merit than my pro-life position? The difference is that I believe each of our voices has equal merit under the law. You wanting to silence my position because it is derived from my religious views is fascist at its core.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Policy matters are fair game only in the sense that we live in a cons utional republic. If your viewpoint merits representation then why shouldn’t mine? Each of us places our own sense of morality into our whatever beliefs we hold. Why should your pro-abortion position hold any more merit than my pro-life position. The difference is that I believe each of our voices has equal merit under the law. You wanting to silence my position because it comes from my religious views is fascist at its core.
    My pro-choice position is backed by science, your position is backed by nothing other than religion and our cons ution is pretty clear on separation of church and state.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...yeah I've heard that one too bud. So all that seeking just led to God ignoring me, huh?

I’m sorry you feel that way. Any personal evidence I provided would just be cir stantial. If that is your choice. Then so be it - we all will live or die by it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

gaslighting is god's go-to move tbh

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    The other quintessential difference between pro choice and pro life is that pro choice still allows for freedom of religion. If you don’t believe in abortion you don’t have to get any. Pro liters meanwhile want the entire country to live by the same belief set they have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    effectively the same thing tbh

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

He was so proud of himself for thinking he’d provided an explanation that you hadn’t heard before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other quintessential difference between pro choice and pro life is that pro choice still allows for freedom of religion. If you don’t believe in abortion you don’t have to get any. Pro liters meanwhile want the entire country to live by the same belief set they have.
    yeah, the pro choice position doesnt force anybody to violate their religious beliefs and have mandatory abortions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sorry you feel that way. Any personal evidence I provided would just be cir stantial. If that is your choice. Then so be it - we all will live or die by it.
    Well at least you admit that much. I can respect that.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    us crazy pro-choice atheists for wanting the US to be like the rest of the modern world rather like third world holes in Latin America and Africa

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My pro-choice position is backed by science, your position is backed by nothing other than religion and our cons ution is pretty clear on separation of church and state.
    You’re not understanding the concept of Separation of Church and State. I can vote according to my conscience. You’re the one here claiming that somehow you can vote according to your conscience and that I not be allowed to.

And what science? Humans have a unique genetic code. A gestating human has one too; check. They have their own individual body; check. They have an unlimited potential; check. They are alive; check. The only “science” that backs a position that would legitimize the murder of humans is deviant and perverted. What are you going to claim after they’ve been born and set on a table while adults commiserate on whether it should be left to die or not? Is that a legitimate option? According to your Democratic Party leaders that is still legitimate. SMDH.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you going to claim after they’ve been born and set on a table while adults commiserate on whether it should be left to die or not?
    How many times has that actually happened?

Thread Information