View Poll Results: Who is your favorite prospect so far?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Precious Achiuwa

4 5.33%
  • Patrick Williams

19 25.33%
  • Aleksej Pokusevski

11 14.67%
  • Aaron Nesmith

3 4.00%
  • Jalen Smith

25 33.33%
  • Saddiq Bey

6 8.00%
  • Isaiah Stewart

1 1.33%
  • Tyler Bey

0 0%
  • Kira Lewis Jr.

3 4.00%
  • RJ Hampton

3 4.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The first thing I look for in this draft is also a big wing, however, I really did not see one that I like. Who do you recommend to draft as a big wing? Devin and Aaron definitely could not be define as big wing, we are then probably left with Saddiq and PatWil (which I am ok if we draft them) which one could not say are definitely are more talented than Jalen. However, the Spurs are in a bad shape in terms of big man and thus I see drafting Jalen as a better choice for this draft, as we can see how a big with 3 points can open up the spacing for offense. For the SF position, we still have Keldon and Lonnie.
    Again, I'm not definitively saying no to Smith under any cir stances, I'm just saying it'd be difficult to pass up Vassell or Nesmith for him. They're not big wings, but they are seemingly high floor wings. The types who might be able to start/close on an elite team, which is the ultimate goal of course.

When you say "many", it means majority.

“3 converted fours”:
    Pascal Siakam
    Danilo Gallinari
    Carmelo Anthony
    Giannis Antetokounmpo
    Paul George
    DeAndre Hunter or Cam Reddish? Not sure which one plays PF
    Jayson Tatum

Regular big (or simply *not* 3’s) playing the four:
    Joe Ingles
    Juan Hernangómez
    Domantas Sabonis
    Lauri Markkanen
    Blake Griffin
    Kevin Love
    Anthony Davis
    Dario Saric
    Nemanja Bjelica
    Bam Adebayo
    Aaron Gordon
    P.J. Washington
    Davis Bertans or Rui Hachimura
    Kristap Porzingas
    Jaren Jackson Jr
    Trey Lyles
    Zion Williamson
    Al Horford
    Julius Randle
    Jerami Grant, Paul Millsap, or MPJ

These are all taken from basketballreference.com. I looked at minutes played, the depth chart, and which players had started.

It is a myth. This isn't "many". The number of "3 converted 4's" do not outnumber the standard 4's. It is a myth. And most of the players listed above have enough utility (just like Jalen will have) to keep starting and will not be going away anytime soon. Obviously the skill varies from big to big, but if we're strictly speaking how Jalen will do defensively - Again, I ask... how difficult is it to guard the bigs in the second group if we're talking about lateral quickness as a weakness for Jalen? As Sugus suggested, please take more time to watch more tape. And if you do not have time, then let's hold our breath and see what he does in the NBA, as all indications in college has shown he will do just fine since he has guarded similar caliber players (quickness-wise) from the second group.
    Shows how little you actually follow the league . . .

- Siakam is not a converted 4, he's a 4 who just so happened to develop a big wing skillset.
    - Tatum is a 3 (Brown defends post up 4's).
    - George is a 3 who starts as a nominal 2 (Morris is their primary 4).
    - With Capela healthy, Collins will be the Hawks' primary 4.
    - Ingles is a 3 (Bogdanovic is their nominal 4).
    - Adebayo has been moved to his natural 5 since they got to the "bubble" and changed their rotation.
    - Gordon/Isaac are amorphous.
    - Bertans is a big wing and Hachimura effectively is too (the type who'd have been drafted as a 3 a decade ago)
    - Porter Jr. primarily plays 3.

I don't care so much about starters, since some start two 5's, a placeholder 4 (like the Spurs, who play it by committee), multiple 3's. The reality is, most team's primary 4 is a big wing or a stretch big.

I liken him to Olynyk or even Portis. Offensively gifted 4.5's who don't have a clear position defensively and in their cases don't defend well enough to start period.
    Last edited by TD 21; 10-03-2020 at 11:53 PM.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the game has changed is a two-sided coin.

On one side, you have small forwards who have converted to 4, which again is not the "majority".

On the other side, are players who many have chosen to ignore-- it is old school bigs transforming their game to stretch the floor. These are players like Al Horford, Blake Griffin, Aaron Gordon, Anthony Davis... and all the incoming bigs from college who are focusing on 3 point shooting to add to their repertoire.

These players will not be phased out.

The reason the big men are having to play differently is specifically the 3's who are playing as small-ball 4's. And the good ones give old school big men fits. If the goal is to make it to the playoffs, and hope for a second round exit (so a middle seed), then matching up against those old school guys is probably enough. If the goal is to go further, then the team has to have an answer for those quicker guys.

I know you're a big fan of Jalen Smith. The bio-mechanics guys have said that he has "thin hips", and that he's not likely to put on much more strength in his lower body as a result. The problem with a lot of that kind of analysis is that it's great for explaining why a guy like Giannis is such a physical freak now - but it's not really a very dependable prediction tool for young guys. Those guys love to brag about the ones they get right, and don't talk about the ones they get wrong. If he can increase his lower body strength, I think he can be a damn good player. If he can't, he'll be a situational guy - even that isn't a horrible outcome. But I think he's got a chance to get a lot stronger, just looking at his overall physique.

One thing that's still worth mentioning. People love to compare players to each other in a vacuum. I know Toppin (for instance) has a lot going for him, but he played in the A-10 conference and faced a Strength of Schedule of 3.69. Smith played in the Big 10, against a SOS of 10.5. Even though Toppin is probably a little more ready to step onto an NBA court right away because of his offense, I think Smith could have more of a chance of being a versatile, two-way player.

He wasn't the guy I voted for in your poll (you know who I did vote for). But I wouldn't hate it if the Spurs called his name at 11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shows how little you actually follow the league . . .

- Siakam is not a converted 4, he's a 4 who just so happened to develop a big wing skillset.
    - Tatum is a 3 (Brown defends post up 4's).
    - George is a 3 who starts as a nominal 2 (Morris is their primary 4).
    - With Capela healthy, Collins will be the Hawks' primary 4.
    - Ingles is a 3 (Bogdanovic is their nominal 4).
    - Adebayo has been moved to his natural 5 since they got to the "bubble" and changed their rotation.
    - Gordon/Isaac are amorphous.
    - Bertans is a big wing and Hachimura effectively is too (the type who'd have been drafted as a 3 a decade ago)
    - Porter Jr. primarily plays 3.

I don't care so much about starters, since some start two 5's, a placeholder 4 (like the Spurs, who play it by committee), multiple 3's. The reality is, most team's primary 4 is a big wing or a stretch big.

I liken him to Olynyk or even Portis. Offensively gifted 4.5's who don't have a clear position defensively and in their cases don't defend well enough to start period.
    I've tried to keep it civil with you in hopes of maybe you've matured from since the last time we've debated but you can't help it with your snide remarks, can you?

I can't follow every ing team, so you can off.

Most of the players you listed doesn't even stay on topic with the discussion. Siakam can be considered as a player with quicker lateral speed equivalent to a 3. Who will be guarding Tatum on defense when the starting line-up consists of Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Thies, Walker (most minutes together in the regular season)? Answer: It's a 4. Morris only started in the playoffs on key matchups. Bev, Kawhi, George, Harkless, Zubac played the most minutes together in the regular season. Mentioning Collins as their 4 proves my point, Collins has the speed of a big. Bogdanovic has the speed of a big, not a 3. Butler, Bam, Leonard, Nunn, D. Robinson played the most minutes together in the regular season (I know Nunn fell out of the rotation). Neither Gordon or Isaac have the speed of a 3.

Either my point missed your brain completely or you're just blabbering here.
    Sugus, I would just leave it alone with this guy. This guy's brain is tunnel vision.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 10-04-2020 at 12:02 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason the big men are having to play differently is specifically the 3's who are playing as small-ball 4's. And the good ones give old school big men fits. If the goal is to make it to the playoffs, and hope for a second round exit (so a middle seed), then matching up against those old school guys is probably enough. If the goal is to go further, then the team has to have an answer for those quicker guys.

I know you're a big fan of Jalen Smith. The bio-mechanics guys have said that he has "thin hips", and that he's not likely to put on much more strength in his lower body as a result. The problem with a lot of that kind of analysis is that it's great for explaining why a guy like Giannis is such a physical freak now - but it's not really a very dependable prediction tool for young guys. Those guys love to brag about the ones they get right, and don't talk about the ones they get wrong. If he can increase his lower body strength, I think he can be a damn good player. If he can't, he'll be a situational guy - even that isn't a horrible outcome. But I think he's got a chance to get a lot stronger, just looking at his overall physique.

One thing that's still worth mentioning. People love to compare players to each other in a vacuum. I know Toppin (for instance) has a lot going for him, but he played in the A-10 conference and faced a Strength of Schedule of 3.69. Smith played in the Big 10, against a SOS of 10.5. Even though Toppin is probably a little more ready to step onto an NBA court right away because of his offense, I think Smith could have more of a chance of being a versatile, two-way player.

He wasn't the guy I voted for in your poll (you know who I did vote for). But I wouldn't hate it if the Spurs called his name at 11.
    Yeah, man. It looks like I have a hard on for Smith but I'm realistic and keep reservations about every single player (unless you're LeBron). Also, if Smith doesn't get drafted by the Spurs, he can right off. I'm all about the Spurs, baby.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've tried to keep it civil with you in hopes of maybe you've matured from since the last time we've debated but you can't help it with your snide remarks, can you?

I can't follow every ing team, so you can off.

Most of the players you listed doesn't even stay on topic with the discussion. Siakam can be considered as a player with quicker lateral speed equivalent to a 3. Who will be guarding Tatum on defense when the starting line-up consists of Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Thies, Walker (most minutes together in the regular season)? Answer: It's a 4. Morris only started in the playoffs on key matchups. Bev, Kawhi, George, Harkless, Zubac played the most minutes together in the regular season. Mentioning Collins as their 4 proves my point. Bogdanovic has the speed of a big, not a 3. Butler, Bam, Leonard, Nunn, D. Robinson played the most minutes together in the regular season (I know Nunn fell out of the rotation). Neither Gordon or Isaac have the speed of a 3.

Either my point missed your brain completely or you're just blabbering here.
    Sugus, I would just leave it alone with this guy. This guy's brain is tunnel vision.
    This guy is gold, Jerry (or in this case, DAF86), gold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy is gold, Jerry (or in this case, DAF86), gold.
    Jerry's his ing name? How do you know his real name? What the are you two? Boyfriends?

Nah, DAF86 isn't someone I think about anymore. We're all Spurs fans at the end of the day. However, y pricks like yourself have to get called out sometimes.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, man. It looks like I have a hard on for Smith but I'm realistic and keep reservations about every single player (unless you're LeBron). Also, if Smith doesn't get drafted by the Spurs, he can right off. I'm all about the Spurs, baby.

LOL. That's okay - I'm pretty stuck on wanting to see them draft Bey. At least you picked your guy and stuck with it.

I probably wasn't clear enough. The biggest knock on Smith is his lower body strength. Most of the scouts are more worried about whether he is going to get bullied down low. You would love him to be a little better in space, but that's not the biggest concern for him. I think there's a good chance he'll improve in that department. If the bio-mechanics guys were that good at predicting, Giannis wouldn't have fallen to 15. They knew he was athletic, but not what he was going to turn into.

So, no, I don't hate your pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jerry's his ing name? How do you know his real name? What the are you two? Boyfriends?

Nah, DAF86 isn't someone I think about anymore. We're all Spurs fans at the end of the day. However, y pricks like yourself have to get called out sometimes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I probably wasn't clear enough. The biggest knock on Smith is his lower body strength. Most of the scouts are more worried about whether he is going to get bullied down low. You would love him to be a little better in space, but that's not the biggest concern for him. I think there's a good chance he'll improve in that department.
    I think you are wrong here.

As he stands, he's a poor PnR defender. It's his lack of mobility out on the perimeter that is the problem.

Strength on the other hand isn't an issue, as I see it.
    He can get there with time.

He could very well be strictly limited to the 5 and featured only in a drop coverage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not that an anology makes any difference, but I remember a relatively "short" center who had reall "big hips" and used them to attain star status in the old days--Wesley Unseld. You could say that he was the reason SA lost in their first big playoff series by using those big hips against our shooters., fouling them without getting a call.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This raving lunatic is about others making snide remarks? Oh, the humanity!

At spending virtually every waking moment supposedly pouring through hours of film on prospects the Spurs will most likely not draft (you do realize they only get one, right?) and raging/melting down because others don't agree with your opinion on them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The king of buzz words trying to make it seem like I slam others like I slam his idiot ass. Lmfao. And I've made it clear I know the Spurs will only draft one and I don't mind spending the time. Keep making yourself feel proud of your buzz words and continuing to have no substance behind them. Aren't you the paranoid idiot who thinks every one is against black people? You little sick .
    Last edited by Dejounte; 10-04-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this nut job, flying off the handle and having an epic meltdown all because someone disagreed with his latest (two inch) boner over some random draft prospect . . . get back on your meds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep telling yourself that, go take your feminine sensitivities back to crying about random ass people being unfair to black people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "LeBron is a powerful black man and other people are just jealous"

This dude is a ing idiot lmfao

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lack of reading comprehension and unwittingly exposing yourself as a closet racist.

Dumb hick logic: being a proponent of equality is bad and means you're sensitive, which equals feminine because every group that doesn't include me fits into a narrow box because that's what I've been brainwashed into believing my entire life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao it's always reading comprehension with you or absurd accusations of racism

How ty your arguments must be when you have to resort to pointing out imaginative racial biases

One word: delusional

Your head is so big, you remain fixated on your buzz words and flawed (and debunked) basketball logic. Your effort remains piss poor when it comes to actually assessing players and when you're backed into a corner, you use the race card. You're pathetic.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 10-04-2020 at 03:11 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Says the mentally unstable person who brought it up because he had embarrassed himself as much as possible on a message board and desperately wanted to change the subject.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who the cares what my image is on this message board? Lmao grasping for anything and sidestepping your idiotic views

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take it private, clowns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Woof, the thread has gone downhill. Can we chill with the personal attacks for a minute? The fact that there's no moderation doesn't mean we gotta be -slinging on a fine Sunday afternoon.

Anyways.

Because the game is more geared towards skill than ever and you can't play two sub par passing bigs (with a lack of shooting/play making) and expect to have a functional offense. The Lakers make it work for the first 6 minutes of each half, but that's with a top 2 player ever and arguably the top 2 current players.

It is a requirement because many 4's now are really just converted 3's. If he can't defend them on the perimeter, then what? Forget about Lyles or many things recently. They're stopgap measures from a desperate/stubborn organization that was trying to cling to a streak/reputation.

It can be a positive if it's a mismatch nightmare like Davis. Smith isn't going to bully or beat big wing 4's up in the post though.
    This part of your analysis, I disagree with. Why say Jalen is lacking in shooting? And why would Poeltl's presence (since I'm assuming that's the other big) affect our draft pick? You can grab Jalen (and I want to make clear, it's not about Jalen alone - you can perfectly disagree with my evaluation of him, I'm talking from a roster-building POV) and then sign a FA big, or draft another one, that fits the playmaking/passing bill you need to complement Smith's game. I think Luka can be that playmaking/passing big in the future, IF he absolutely pans out in terms of skills, but even if he isn't, I wouldn't see that as a deterrent to draft Jalen. As is, the Spurs have enough playmaking coming from their guards to keep the ship floating, and it's not like I want them to get immediately better next season and miss a high draft pick for the '21 draft...

I also don't see why Smith couldn't bully big wing 4's in the post. It's a "low % shot" by modern NBA standards, but the Spurs particularly don't really follow those modern trends to a T anyways, and Smith is physically more than capable of imposing himself and getting quick (and not-so-quick) buckets against bulkier opponents. I say again - there's a lot of tape of him doing this against perfectly fine compe ion in college. I once again highlight his game against Tillman, he made him work for some of those buckets. I don't want players or a team that isn't versatile - if anything, this years' playoffs have shown that the midrange and more "vintage" methods of scoring are FAR from gone or irrelevant. The fact that Smith is an absolute threat from deep, on top of being a good to great rim scorer, is just icing on the cake.

Because they generally occupy 3 of 5 positions in today's league and are more malleable. It's also easier to find credible center play for cheap. The biggest positional need is big wing, but the biggest need period is elite - high end talent.
    To be honest with you, I could care less about "credible center play". The Spurs aren't going anywhere by getting "credible center play". They need high-impact, versatility, shooting, strength, and rebounding from their bigs if they want to get to the promise land anytime soon - and I guarantee you, that's not something you just sign off waivers or trade a second-rounder for. Those kinds of players, you get in the draft, in the lottery even depending on the case. "Credible center play" is good for a team like the Clippers, with stars holding down the fort in other positions (and we've seen even for them, it wasn't enough).

I wholeheartedly agree that biggest need is elite, high-end talent; I just fail to see which prospect you're thinking of that is so above-and-beyond in terms of talent, that you'd dismiss the Spurs' roster needs, both long and short-term, to draft. Seriously, I'd like a name, so I can at least see what you're picturing in your head. Is it Vassell? I can guarantee you that guy isn't moving the needle for us, nor guarding any "big wing" whatsoever. If it's Neismith, I fail to see what good does drafting a SG (especially considering the logjam the Spurs have there) for your argument's sake. Again, it's not about Jalen alone, but from a pure roster-building point, I really don't see what player your argument lines up with, in this specific draft. To be honest, the prospect that comes closest to what you'd like... Is Achiuwa. Good skills, dribbling/playmaking potential, absolute strength to defend modern wings/big men, switchable to an extent, athletic, plays much better perimeter defense than Smith. But I haven't seen you mention him in any of your comments, so that mustn't be.

I'm not saying don't select Smith at any cost, I'm saying all things being relatively equal, I'd have a tough time passing up a high floor wing. Drafting for position is never intelligent, less so projecting a year in advance. Always draft for value because that can be traded to plug other holes down the road.

Poor reading comprehension (and Bertans has better ball handling/passing skills than you give him credit for). It's not about a direct comparison, it's about the simple fact that neither has a defined defensive position and usually when that's the case players top out as sub starters because it's easier to dictate matchups off the bench.
    Again I ask the question - why would you select a high-floor, low-ceiling wing with a lottery pick, in a VERY wing-weak draft, when the very next draft is already known to be packing much, much higher talent level prospects at this position? What is this absolute, urgent hole the Spurs have to fill? I'm not seeing it. Of course, you can have your preferences on what you think the Spurs should draft - it's just weird to me that you're passing on your personal preference, as factual, indubitable gospel. Please expand.

I was a bit offended by the Bertans comment, ngl. When in God's name have you ever seen a pass by Bertans that was anything more than serviceable?! Is Bertans really your image of a passing/ball-handling big? The guy could literally not take the ball to the rim if his life depended on it. Like, seriously, post a YouTube highlight or something maybe my memory is tier than I'm thinking, but I would never in my life call Bertans a "big with ball handling skills". Let's be real.

And again, Smith's defensive position is the 4. Specifically, which 4's do you think he could not match up against? I could see him doing well against most that come to mind. He could handle Siakam, he could handle Giannis (as good as anyone can handle a league MVP, of course), he could handle Brown unless he's going full 3pt chuck-fest. I can see, for example, AD giving him problems when he plays the 4 in the RS, but that's not a real 4. Again I fail to see which part of Smith's game you think will translate so badly, that he'll go from being a very good defender in college, to not being able to guard even his own position in the NBA. And I don't see why the fact that he's got potential as a small-ball 5 would mean he doesn't have a "true" position, if that's what you mean. Just an overall very vague comment, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a bit of a masochist, it seems...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Woof, the thread has gone downhill. Can we chill with the personal attacks for a minute? The fact that there's no moderation doesn't mean we gotta be -slinging on a fine Sunday afternoon.

Anyways.

This part of your analysis, I disagree with. Why say Jalen is lacking in shooting? And why would Poeltl's presence (since I'm assuming that's the other big) affect our draft pick? You can grab Jalen (and I want to make clear, it's not about Jalen alone - you can perfectly disagree with my evaluation of him, I'm talking from a roster-building POV) and then sign a FA big, or draft another one, that fits the playmaking/passing bill you need to complement Smith's game. I think Luka can be that playmaking/passing big in the future, IF he absolutely pans out in terms of skills, but even if he isn't, I wouldn't see that as a deterrent to draft Jalen. As is, the Spurs have enough playmaking coming from their guards to keep the ship floating, and it's not like I want them to get immediately better next season and miss a high draft pick for the '21 draft...

I also don't see why Smith couldn't bully big wing 4's in the post. It's a "low % shot" by modern NBA standards, but the Spurs particularly don't really follow those modern trends to a T anyways, and Smith is physically more than capable of imposing himself and getting quick (and not-so-quick) buckets against bulkier opponents. I say again - there's a lot of tape of him doing this against perfectly fine compe ion in college. I once again highlight his game against Tillman, he made him work for some of those buckets. I don't want players or a team that isn't versatile - if anything, this years' playoffs have shown that the midrange and more "vintage" methods of scoring are FAR from gone or irrelevant. The fact that Smith is an absolute threat from deep, on top of being a good to great rim scorer, is just icing on the cake.

To be honest with you, I could care less about "credible center play". The Spurs aren't going anywhere by getting "credible center play". They need high-impact, versatility, shooting, **strength** (let's ignore this) , and rebounding from their bigs if they want to get to the promise land anytime soon - and I guarantee you, that's not something you just sign off waivers or trade a second-rounder for. Those kinds of players, you get in the draft, in the lottery even depending on the case. "Credible center play" is good for a team like the Clippers, with stars holding down the fort in other positions (and we've seen even for them, it wasn't enough).

I wholeheartedly agree that biggest need is elite, high-end talent; I just fail to see which prospect you're thinking of that is so above-and-beyond in terms of talent, that you'd dismiss the Spurs' roster needs, both long and short-term, to draft. Seriously, I'd like a name, so I can at least see what you're picturing in your head. Is it Vassell? I can guarantee you that guy isn't moving the needle for us, nor guarding any "big wing" whatsoever. If it's Neismith, I fail to see what good does drafting a SG (especially considering the logjam the Spurs have there) for your argument's sake. Again, it's not about Jalen alone, but from a pure roster-building point, I really don't see what player your argument lines up with, in this specific draft. To be honest, the prospect that comes closest to what you'd like... Is Achiuwa. Good skills, dribbling/playmaking potential, absolute strength to defend modern wings/big men, switchable to an extent, athletic, plays much better perimeter defense than Smith. But I haven't seen you mention him in any of your comments, so that mustn't be.

Again I ask the question - why would you select a high-floor, low-ceiling wing with a lottery pick, in a VERY wing-weak draft, when the very next draft is already known to be packing much, much higher talent level prospects at this position? What is this absolute, urgent hole the Spurs have to fill? I'm not seeing it. Of course, you can have your preferences on what you think the Spurs should draft - it's just weird to me that you're passing on your personal preference, as factual, indubitable gospel. Please expand.

I was a bit offended by the Bertans comment, ngl. When in God's name have you ever seen a pass by Bertans that was anything more than serviceable?! Is Bertans really your image of a passing/ball-handling big? The guy could literally not take the ball to the rim if his life depended on it. Like, seriously, post a YouTube highlight or something maybe my memory is tier than I'm thinking, but I would never in my life call Bertans a "big with ball handling skills". Let's be real.

And again, Smith's defensive position is the 4. Specifically, which 4's do you think he could not match up against? I could see him doing well against most that come to mind. He could handle Siakam, he could handle Giannis (as good as anyone can handle a league MVP, of course), he could handle Brown unless he's going full 3pt chuck-fest. I can see, for example, AD giving him problems when he plays the 4 in the RS, but that's not a real 4. Again I fail to see which part of Smith's game you think will translate so badly, that he'll go from being a very good defender in college, to not being able to guard even his own position in the NBA. And I don't see why the fact that he's got potential as a small-ball 5 would mean he doesn't have a "true" position, if that's what you mean. Just an overall very vague comment, tbh.
    Did somebody call the Marfan DemiGod?

P/S: Bertans was an above average passer and ball handler for a 6'10" guy, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did somebody call the Marfan DemiGod?

P/S: Bertans was an above average passer and ball handler for a 6'10" guy, tbh.
    Tbh, I've said it a couple of times, I'm not opposed to Poku either. Drafts are such a crap shoot... If the Spurs are ok with his medical on draft night, I'll trust their choice. He's just not my personal pick due to bust concerns, I think getting nothing out of this #11 pick would hurt the Spurs much more than getting a "low-ceiling career role player" (worst case scenario for some of the projected picks) would.

I can live with reading Bertans is above-average. I was originally just saying he's nowhere near Smith as a prospect, and that Smith has a defined defensive position, mainly because Jalen isn't a defensive liability at every position like Davis was. I actually liked him on the Spurs... Oh well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The two major reasons we are loosing games are 1. Our Defense Sucks 2. We don’t shoot and make enough 3 balls. So that is one reason I like Smith he is a really good defender he has size he blocks shots he gets you a lot of rebounds and he can shoot the 3 ball.

Thread Information