Page 52 of 303 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 7567
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thread will admit it.

You have Spurtunculus and DMC crapping their pants and then trying to convince others pants are in fact, toilets.
    Do you believe people should follow science during this?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a sad, but all too common story. According to data collected by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, of US adults who were hospitalized for influenza infection in 2018-2019 with additional information available, 93 percent had at least one underlying medical condition. Despite overwhelming evidence of the benefits of annual flu vaccination, vaccination rates remain well below the Healthy People 2020 targets, leaving a significant portion of the population vulnerable.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Strange the comparisons to Spanish flu due to the completely different demographic that was at risk.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Tbh outside of the Christopher Walken scene I don’t understand the appeal of True Romance. Its a mediocre movie ignoring that scene.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said. You will never figure out the true number of deaths. Which you wont/can't. Then you respond with a deviation of an average. Not sure what you dont get about that.
    And I said, we will get to a pretty close number, because we know about how statistics and probability work. I then used some standard statistics terms, and said that you appear not to understand them.

You turn around and post this, proving you don't.

If you want to take that position, you are saying that we can't use statistics to analyse the situation.

So what other proposed explanation do you have for the uptick in the death rate?
    Be sure to show your work and link to some information that forms the basis of your answer.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    “He musta thought it was white boy day. It ain’t white boy day, is it?”

- Drexl, True Romance
    Never grows old, mono.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    90,000 dead / 1,400,000 cases = 6.4% mortality

90000 / 0.064 = 1.4M
    .0066 is the best information we have now as to the actual rate. (from a scientific paper done on fully tested populations at the beginning of the outbbreak) Your math is correct, but your reasoning is not.

To get the actual fatality, we would have to have much better testing, which we do not.

Walk through this exercise:

How many people have the disease or have had the disease. How many of them have been tested, and confirmed? Since we have run so few tests, it stands to reason that the case number should be much higher.

Therefore the only thing we can know about the US data set is that the death rate is LOWER than 6.4%.

The problem is that the disease really isn't likely getting more deadly. Therefore as the death/case ratio gets higher, it indicates that many more people have the disease than we know and it is more widespread than we thought.

That will catch up to us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people believe that people who are tested and confirmed as well as those who died that haven't been counted are the only people in the data.

They seemingly forget that over 85 percent of people infected will have mild symptoms. They think that these people do not count. But they also argue that the virus is extremely transmissible. Lots of strange "points" being made
    "They" being the made up people in your mind. This is what is known as a "Strawman".

Feel free to point to a real statement by a real person.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already told you, numb nuts, that I ain't doing this silly , Splits.

You have a stature here, Splits, don't that up.
    Just put the pieces together, Dale.

Vanessa Bryant says heavy fog and low clouds prompted law enforcement agencies and tour companies to ground their helicopters, but the pilot flying Kobe and Gianna requested special clearance from air traffic control to keep flying
    Was the pilot drunk? Drugged? Acting on his own?

The pilot of the helicopter that crashed in January killing Kobe Bryant and others had no alcohol or drugs in his system that day, an autopsy report shows
    No? Hmmm. So why was he risking life and limb when nobody else was flying? Does it cross your mind for a second that an egomaniac and narcissist like Kirby was not the "special clearance" behind this whole mess?

Just admit it, the Count bumps stop.
    Last edited by Splits; 05-17-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I said, we will get to a pretty close number, because we know about how statistics and probability work. I then used some standard statistics terms, and said that you appear not to understand them.

You turn around and post this, proving you don't.

If you want to take that position, you are saying that we can't use statistics to analyse the situation.

So what other proposed explanation do you have for the uptick in the death rate?
    Be sure to show your work and link to some information that forms the basis of your answer.
    Pretty close = exact to you. Got it

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    straw man

You're really emotional when asked directly to explain anything. You obviously can't discuss anything.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    straw man

You're really emotional when asked directly to explain anything. You obviously can't discuss anything.
    I'm still waiting for you to explain how a person who dies from alcohol poisoning is included in the science you believe in....

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still waiting for you to explain how a person who dies from alcohol poisoning is included in the science you believe in....
    I'm still waiting for you to explain how the virus is spread from days ago. You're far too emotional to answer. I understand. You've been rendered a blubbering mess on this board. You know there's no coming back from your embarrassment so you have to keep changing the subject and making straw men to soothe yourself.

You can't even attempt to explain how the virus is spread and all you do here is try to convince yourself you're smart. Why should anyone take you seriously?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Just put the pieces together, Dale.

Was the pilot drunk? Drugged? Acting on his own?

No? Hmmm. So why was he risking life and limb when nobody else was flying? Does it cross your mind for a second that an egomaniac and narcissist like Kirby was not the "special clearance" behind this whole mess?

Just admit it, the Count bumps stop.
    ...I'd rather be stripped down naked & beaten with a hickory switch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The card says moops."

"pretty close" is not exact. No. But if "pretty close" is almost certainly close enough to exact to still draw meaningful conclusions, and formulate good policy, what is the difference?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still waiting for you to explain the sudden massive uptick in the death rate for non-confirmed COVID causes.

Has there been a sustained hurricane or something I am not aware of? Some floods maybe? Some giant natural disaster that just happened to coincide with a pandemic?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still waiting for you to explain the sudden massive uptick in the death rate for non-confirmed COVID causes.

Has there been a sustained hurricane or something I am not aware of? Some floods maybe? Some giant natural disaster that just happened to coincide with a pandemic?
    I appreciate you admitting you were wrong in the previous post.

Hmmm maybe it could be that sick people stayed home instead of getting treatment for other disease since they were told by the government to stay out of the over capacity hospitals that never happened.

Your turn. Tell me more about the cdc stat padding?

This is exactly the reason you will never know. The cdc doesn't know the exact count of flu deaths every year, why do you think they would suddenly have 100 percent actual covid death?

It's sad because they say trust the science, but they don't have accurate data. Probably will make people less trusting of science or vaccination. Which is not good.

They also say the spanish flu is comparable when it is not.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you believe people should follow science during this?
    I believe people should use science to help make policy.

I understand the consequences of shutting down an economy.
    Science should not involve politics. people who do science are going to be political just like anyone else but the process itself can’t be political and if it is, then it’s just not usable.

Science is a very narrow human activity.
    It tries to give us the most likely answers to very narrow questions that must be refutable.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Update (17 May 2020):::
    Trump's Corona Plague dead: 90,973
    Regular Flu dead: 23+k
    Spanish Flu dead: 275k
    Obama's H1N1 Flu dead: 12.5k

Let us proceed...

Get in here Thread, it's dinner time and sandwiches are on the menu.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Update (17 May 2020):::
    Trump's Corona Plague dead: 90,973
    Regular Flu dead: 23+k
    Spanish Flu dead: 275k
    Obama's H1N1 Flu dead: 12.5k

Let us proceed...

Get in here Thread, it's dinner time and sandwiches are on the menu.
    Can't ya slack off just one day?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe people should use science to help make policy.

I understand the consequences of shutting down an economy.
    Science should not involve politics. people who do science are going to be political just like anyone else but the process itself can’t be political and if it is, then it’s just not usable.

Science is a very narrow human activity.
    It tries to give us the most likely answers to very narrow questions that must be refutable.
    Agreed.
    Why do you think the cdc is comparing the spanish flu to covid if the demos are different?
    How can you trust the cdc death count if they are obviously increasing the covid count?
    Don't you find it odd the believe the science rhetoric when the numbers are not accurate?

I don't know the consequences of shutting down the economy. But its absurd for people to be so staunch in their opinion that shutting down the economy and ruining over 30 million peoples lives for "saving" a hypothetical amount of lives.

Is the cost of saving one life a fair trade to ruin another? What about if that person who lost their job has 2 kids. Is one life, who has already had their chance to live, worth ruining 3?

Would not want to be the person that had to make the choice, obviously a no win. This is why it shouldn't be political. The people who blame on one person are not in it for the greater good

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Agreed.
    Why do you think the cdc is comparing the spanish flu to covid if the demos are different?
    How can you trust the cdc death count if they are obviously increasing the covid count?
    Don't you find it odd the believe the science rhetoric when the numbers are not accurate?

I don't know the consequences of shutting down the economy. But its absurd for people to be so staunch in their opinion that shutting down the economy and ruining over 30 million peoples lives for "saving" a hypothetical amount of lives.

Is the cost of saving one life a fair trade to ruin another? What about if that person who lost their job has 2 kids. Is one life, who has already had their chance to live, worth ruining 3?

Would not want to be the person that had to make the choice, obviously a no win. This is why it shouldn't be political. The people who blame on one person are not in it for the greater good
    You can't. They sold their soul to politics and now they can't get back in the public trust. I've no sympathy for them or WHO.

Their regrets are their own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...I'd rather be stripped down naked & beaten with a hickory switch.
    Like the last time you saw the playoffs.. that woodshed still reeks of tears and .

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed.

now you are entering the realm of statistics and gathering data

my personal feeling is we are most likely under accounting due to the fact that people are dying at home. there are so many pre-existing conditions that can manifest themselves in death due to this virus I don’t know how to get an accurate count.

but if anything I believe it’s under counted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    now you are entering the realm of statistics and gathering data

my personal feeling is we are most likely under accounting due to the fact that people are dying at home. there are so many pre-existing conditions that can manifest themselves in death due to this virus I don’t know how to get an accurate count.

but if anything I believe it’s under counted
    This is bull . We might be undercounting but intentionally over counting to make up for an assumption is stupid.

Thread Information